Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

.Trent Richardson demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback (merge)

CS Colts Fan

found on Rotoworld

Good news IMO

Now demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback, Trent Richardson admits he never got comfortable in Indy's running scheme and never fully grasped the offense.

T-Rich's tackle-breaking ability and open-field burst are still there, but he has been running without confidence and seemingly without instincts ever since arriving in Indianapolis. "He came to me, he wasn't pouting or anything," Reggie Wayne explained. "This was the next day after he found out he was demoted and he said, 'Now I can sit back and actually watch the way it's supposed to be done.' He kind of feels that he was maybe forced into it early without actually learning it." Wayne's advice to Richardson was "Do better. Practice harder. Study longer."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colts fans need to be patient........i mean this could be a bad season for him........what if all of a sudden he turned to be good and no one saw it coming........just keep faith...............i am.............and please no hate on my comment im just saying to be patient with him........

Mhhm I said he did not take accountability ever since his quotes about not missing any assignments when it was plain as day he did if you had an idea of what you were looking at, Hope he rebounds big from this soon or a few years from now we could all be talking about this being the biggest blunder Grigson potential firing years from now......Im not saying his job is anywher close to being in jeopardy of course but this type of move if it dont work out is going to be talked about years from now if he ever does get fired at some point and time

Mhhm I said he did not take accountability ever since his quotes about not missing any assignments when it was plain as day he did if you had an idea of what you were looking at, Hope he rebounds big from this soon or a few years from now we could all be talking about this being the biggest blunder Grigson potential firing years from now......Im not saying his job is anywher close to being in jeopardy of course but this type of move if it dont work out is going to be talked about years from now if he ever does get fired at some point and time

So if Grigson gets fired three years from now, we'll just trace it back to the Richardson trade?

Ummm, okay.

found on Rotoworld

Good news IMO

Now demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback, Trent Richardson admits he never got comfortable in Indy's running scheme and never fully grasped the offense.

T-Rich's tackle-breaking ability and open-field burst are still there, but he has been running without confidence and seemingly without instincts ever since arriving in Indianapolis. "He came to me, he wasn't pouting or anything," Reggie Wayne explained. "This was the next day after he found out he was demoted and he said, 'Now I can sit back and actually watch the way it's supposed to be done.' He kind of feels that he was maybe forced into it early without actually learning it." Wayne's advice to Richardson was "Do better. Practice harder. Study longer."

Great post, CS.

So if Grigson gets fired three years from now, we'll just trace it back to the Richardson trade?

Ummm, okay.

No of course not, There is the Vaughn trade, Greg Toler signing to be our #2(he has been better then Vaughn but I dont think he has made himself out to be our clear #2 for years to come), Keeping some players on the team that we could have replaced that are simply in over there heads as starters (Mike Mcglynn should have been sent packing by now, Grigson has had the chance). Not just one thing will be talked about obviously but if Richardson does not turn it on sometime before his deal is up and if Wayne retires and we are still suffering because of it then then the Richardson trade will certainly be the talk of the town when it comes to Grigson.......Now Im not saying any of that will come about....I actually think he will be here for many years to come but Richardson simply has to come through or he will be the poster boy for what you dont do when it comes to trades in the NFL.....trading for a rb....and Grigsons name will attached to that. Thats all Im saying. Right now we are winning...we are 8-4 but 3-2 since Wayne got hurt and obviously struggling without him and thats with all the moves Grigson made this past offseason and start of the season

Ummm, okay.

He swung for the fences with TRich and DHB.  Coaches have to try everything to get the most out of them.  Even benching them and coaching them up some more before tossing them out there again.  But in the end, it will be the players themselves that either do, or do not.  But I feel they all deserve the chance to give it their best shot before the "Fire them yesterday" crowd get's their turn...  but also don't hold up others behind them that are willing and can do the job now.

No of course not, There is the Vaughn trade, Greg Toler signing to be our #2(he has been better then Vaughn but I dont think he has made himself out to be our clear #2 for years to come), Keeping some players on the team that we could have replaced that are simply in over there heads as starters (Mike Mcglynn should have been sent packing by now, Grigson has had the chance). Not just one thing will be talked about obviously but if Richardson does not turn it on sometime before his deal is up and if Wayne retires and we are still suffering because of it then then the Richardson trade will certainly be the talk of the town when it comes to Grigson.......Now Im not saying any of that will come about....I actually think he will be here for many years to come but Richardson simply has to come through or he will be the poster boy for what you dont do when it comes to trades in the NFL.....trading for a rb....and Grigsons name will attached to that. Thats all Im saying. Right now we are winning...we are 8-4 but 3-2 since Wayne got hurt and obviously struggling without him and thats with all the moves Grigson made this past offseason and start of the season

This is sensational.

He swung for the fences with TRich and DHB.  Coaches have to try everything to get the most out of them.  Even benching them and coaching them up some more before tossing them out there again.  But in the end, it will be the players themselves that either do, or do not.  But I feel they all deserve the chance to give it their best shot before the "Fire then yesterday" crowd get's their turn...  but also don't hold up others behind them that are willing and can do the job now.

Richardson, yes. DHB, no. A one year deal for $3m is hardly swinging for the fences.

Richardson, yes. DHB, no. A one year deal for $3m is hardly swinging for the fences.

Add in the lost productivity from that 3 million.  Lot's of cheaper talent that could have performed better.  But they stick with it because of the 3 mill was already out the door.  At least it is just one black hole year.

I hope the coaches learn from this. I have said before that they sometimes give people roles without competition. T Rich was thrust into the lineup after a few days. Brown should have had that role with T Rich playing more as he learned the offense and proved what he could do. Brown is weak in pass protection and so it seemed the coaching staff did not want him in the lineup but Havili could have taken the pass protection role.

I think taking a chance with DHB though was worth a shot. He is a proven speedster and former 1st rounder, even if Oakland did draft him too early. Luck has a huge arm, and they could have worked a lot of magic together, but problem is we rarely deep bomb, and I'm concerned now that even if we would, DHB would just drop it like in that last game where the pass hit him square in the chest.

I hope the coaches learn from this. I have said before that they sometimes give people roles without competition. T Rich was thrust into the lineup after a few days. Brown should have had that role with T Rich playing more as he learned the offense and proved what he could do. Brown is weak in pass protection and so it seemed the coaching staff did not want him in the lineup but Havili could have taken the pass protection role.

Of course any new player needs to learn the play book but there is countless film of the guy simply not seeing holes. All the great running backs have the ability to find small holes even if they aren't where plays are designed to go. Trent has tunnel vision. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. You can either see or you can't.

This is sensational.

No, It could come to pass, Its not like some GM's who have been fired have not been known for a certain move that has not worked out before at least in the short term...I mean Elways is always going to be known for reeling in Manning (I know there was more to it then that). Again I dont believe its going to happen...I actually pointed that out but it has the potential to be a move thats talked about as the biggest blunder in the Grigson era, Not the ONLY move that would be talked about but I think the biggest

Of course any new player needs to learn the play book but there is countless film of the guy simply not seeing holes. All the great running backs have the ability to find small holes even if they aren't where plays are designed to go. Trent has tunnel vision. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. You can either see or you can't.

If we gave up a pick for a back with no vision then that is Grigson's fault. I believe it has been more a combination of a poor OL and not knowing the playbook. DB had the same problem earlier in his career that Trent is having now.

No of course not, There is the Vaughn trade, Greg Toler signing to be our #2(he has been better then Vaughn but I dont think he has made himself out to be our clear #2 for years to come), Keeping some players on the team that we could have replaced that are simply in over there heads as starters (Mike Mcglynn should have been sent packing by now, Grigson has had the chance). Not just one thing will be talked about obviously but if Richardson does not turn it on sometime before his deal is up and if Wayne retires and we are still suffering because of it then then the Richardson trade will certainly be the talk of the town when it comes to Grigson.......Now Im not saying any of that will come about....I actually think he will be here for many years to come but Richardson simply has to come through or he will be the poster boy for what you dont do when it comes to trades in the NFL.....trading for a rb....and Grigsons name will attached to that. Thats all Im saying. Right now we are winning...we are 8-4 but 3-2 since Wayne got hurt and obviously struggling without him and thats with all the moves Grigson made this past offseason and start of the season

What was wrong with the Vaughn trade? We only gave up Chris Gronkowski for him, if memory serves.

Add in the lost productivity from that 3 million. Lot's of cheaper talent that could have performed better. But they stick with it because of the 3 mill was already out the door. At least it is just one black hole year.

Isn't a good chunk of that $3 million incentives? Does DHB have a chance at earning any of the incentive money?

What was wrong with the Vaughn trade? We only gave up Chris Gronkowski for him, if memory serves.

Nothing to much. Gronkowski was nothing great of course, But I think we could have used him at FB and he would have been of more value then Vaughn to us, I mean it worked out from a Full Back standpoint, Havili is better then Chris Gronkowski,

The CV trade was a steal for us. He's one of the better nickle/dime backs in the NFL regardless of what these negative nancy's say.

He has been a liability on the field when thrown at with the exception of the two bad throws by Fitzpatrick that Vaughn happened to be righ there.....There was nothing for him to read on either int, No Im not discrediting him making the int's, those were two nice catches, Im just saying there is a difference in reading the play and QB's eyes and being the beneficiary of a bad throw or two, At the end of the day credit goes to vaughn for making the picks however

4 years for Brown to get where he is showing 1st round worthiness. Same four years forum is down on him til now. Three months and TR is getting same treatment that DB.

Welcome to Indy's Fanbase Trent.

DB is playing good, but he still hasn't did anything worthy of a 1st round pick.

Yeah it's just "Indy's Fanbase" ... He would be getting roasted by any teams fanbase for playing like he has if they traded a 1st round pick for him.  I would be willing to bet that some fanbases would be actively "booing" him at this point.

If we gave up a pick for a back with no vision then that is Grigson's fault. I believe it has been more a combination of a poor OL and not knowing the playbook. DB had the same problem earlier in his career that Trent is having now.

Seriously?  If he doesn't know the playbook by now he has bigger problems than a bad OL.

colts fans need to be patient........i mean this could be a bad season for him........what if all of a sudden he turned to be good and no one saw it coming........just keep faith...............i am.............and please no hate on my comment im just saying to be patient with him........

Trading a 1st round pick for a RB is bad enough .. add to that we lose a whole season of production ... he has to turn out to be a lot better than just "good" to come close to justifying what we gave for him.  Part of the reason he was "supposedly" worth our 1st round pick was because he would give allow us to maintain a strong running game this year (in addition to the future) with our injuries and financially we get a RB who has the majority of his contract left and and a big part was paid by the Browns ... well the value in those two things are pretty much out the window now.  If he isn't elite (~top 5) next year than we threw our 1st round pick away.

Trading a 1st round pick for a RB is bad enough .. add to that we lose a whole season of production ... he has to turn out to be a lot better than just "good" to come close to justifying what we gave for him.  Part of the reason he was "supposedly" worth our 1st round pick was because he would give allow us to maintain a strong running game this year (in addition to the future) with our injuries and financially we get a RB who has the majority of his contract left and and a big part was paid by the Browns ... well the value in those two things are pretty much out the window now.  If he isn't elite (~top 5) next year than we threw our 1st round pick away.

What exactly do you mean when you say top 5? Top 5 in yards? Top 5 in td's? Top 5 in ypc?

I brought this up in another thread, I would love someone here to enlighten me.

At the beginning of the season two Browns RBs were moved or cut. Trent to Indy, Bobby Rainey to TB.

Trent has a franchise QB and other competent players & coaches around him, yet there has been 0 production.

Bobby was on a winless team with a rookie QB & a HC no one likes, and a divided locker room because of Freeman/Schiano. Yet he found a way even on a winless team to have a 160 yard 3 td game even with less time than Trent working with his new team. Rainey is expected to have another big game this week for BUF.

So what im getting at, Trent was the #3 pick, and hes a RB. He should be producing and his reasons for why he is not are EXCUSES. And all you defenders out there can hate all you want on me for sayinf that but its true. Yes, next season with a full TC & pre season he could be better bur that doesnt do much good now.

And before i finish Donald Brown had flashes early in his career. I feel like he had an 80 yard preseason run a few years ago & a long one the year 18 was injured. Trent hasnt even shown flashes.

Quit defending his EXCUSES.

What exactly do you mean when you say top 5? Top 5 in yards? Top 5 in td's? Top 5 in ypc?

Overall ... Some combination of those factors ... you could debate the order and there might be a couple of differing opinions especially since Foster and Martin are out injured; but I think there would be a general consensus of top 5-6 RBs in the league.

1. Peterson

2. McCoy

3. Lynch

4. Charles

5. Forte

6. Moreno

I am sure someone could/will argue for Murray or Gore in that 6th spot, and i might change the order if I went and really studied the numbers ... but like I said I think you can usually get a majority consensus on the top 5-6 (with a debatable order) most years.

I Agree. I bet you a pay check that 98% of the very people praising Brown and wanting TRich cut/benched were the very same people calling for Brown to be cut over the last couple of years. Now they don't want to eat their crow....so they jump on the latest whipping boy wagon. Give Richardson a break. Let's put it this way, you start a new job, in the same field same position. It may be the same type but you're going to have learning curve getting adjusted to the new company. Hypocrisy runs wild on this forum.....