Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

.Trent Richardson demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback (merge)

CS Colts Fan

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reggie, turn that Wiffleball of rolling butter-knives into an elite back please!

What if we can first turn him into a tennis ball full of sporks and progress from there, then perhaps a baseball full of mid-grade sharpened steak knives and eventually a bowling ball full of electric eels with lightsabers?????

Really Buck? A zib jersey? What were you thinking?

HA...

Notre Dame fan (hoped Colts would draft him back in the day),

Colts needed a safety so I had high hopes for the guy...

thought he was gonna bring that boxer bruiser 'tude to the 'D'...

Was excited when Chuck brought him over...

those were some of the thinks, I was thinking...

This is somewhat misguided because you're talking about all the guys drafted in the NFL.  The average career in the NFL is much different when you're talking about higher draft picks.  For instance, in an ESPN mag, citing a 2011 study by the NFL, the average life span for ANY player drafted that makes the 53 man roster is 6.86 seasons.  If it was a first round pick, they have a career length of 9.3 years.  Players who make a pro bowl have a career length is 11.7 years.

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/NFL-study-clarifies-average-career-length/eb9db235-47f4-487e-a4bb-9f241641b0cb

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/15/nfl-study-finds-686-year-average-career-for-players/

What you're saying may be correct but he was talking about average career length of a RB. He was actually being kind with his 4 yrs. as it isn't that long on average. The average career length for RB's in the NFL is actually only 2.57 yrs.. 

The shortest careers among NFL players tends to be those who hit and get hit the most during games and practice. Running backs have the shortest average careers of just 2.57 years. Wide receivers have average careers of 2.81 years. The average career for cornerbacks is 2.94 years.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/15527-long-average-career-nfl-player/#ixzz2mddIALR4

I don't understand all the negativity from fans sometimes--patience is a virtue, yet so many want results yesterday.  Give the guy time and he will reach the levels anticipated when Grigs drafted him.

How did Grigson Draft Luck for the Colts and Richardson for the Browns in the same draft?

I don't understand all the negativity from fans sometimes--patience is a virtue, yet so many want results yesterday. Give the guy time and he will reach the levels anticipated when Grigs drafted him.

Firstly, Grigs didnt draft him, he traded for him :P

Semantics aside, thats just the buisness of modern culture. Results immediatly or its a failed project. Patience is no longer a virtue of capitalist society, its all about efficiency and thrift. Patience can be at times construed as inefficient, and that is tantamount to heresy in modern culture, America especially.

Where this applies to Trent, is thr immediate loss of a top round draft pick, making it harder on the scouts to continue bringing in top, young, cheap talent. What the people pointing this out fail to see, is just how little money we have to pay for Trent, and the temporary setback in loss of a draft pick saves us money on the cap to free agent shop next year, making it an effective trade off and a hedged bet.

Talent wise, it may or may not work out, but it was still an effective use of a first pick in that Trent will cost less to our cap than a first rounder usually would, as Cleveland ate most of his guaranteed money. It was effecient, if subtely so.

Firstly, Grigs didnt draft him, he traded for him :P

Semantics aside, thats just the buisness of modern culture. Results immediatly or its a failed project. Patience is no longer a virtue of capitalist society, its all about efficiency and thrift. Patience can be at times construed as inefficient, and that is tantamount to heresy in modern culture, America especially.

Where this applies to Trent, is thr immediate loss of a top round draft pick, making it harder on the scouts to continue bringing in top, young, cheap talent. What the people pointing this out fail to see, is just how little money we have to pay for Trent, and the temporary setback in loss of a draft pick saves us money on the cap to free agent shop next year, making it an effective trade off and a hedged bet.

Talent wise, it may or may not work out, but it was still an effective use of a first pick in that Trent will cost less to our cap than a first rounder usually would, as Cleveland ate most of his guaranteed money. It was effecient, if subtely so.

If the Colts were going to pick in the top 5 or 10 that statement might have some merit, but with the rookie wage scale set and looking like were going to be picking in the bottom 3rd of the draft, then this will not be accurate. 

I do like his attitude.  I think it will just take some time in the system and a better O-line.

Absolutely right. If anything, he is a living, breathing reminder and incentive for building up our O-line this offseason. Plus, he will have an offseason to learn this offense even more. He didn't get picked 3rd overall for nothing... he will grow into a weapon here.

People always bring up 950 yards and 10 TD's. Here is some perspective on that stat.

Cleveland featured him at the goal line. Look at all of his touchdown runs last year, pretty sure only 2 were from further out than 5 yards. It took him 267 carries to get to 950 yards.

I seen some highlights of him running 20+ yards in for a td. Granted it was a pass play.

Absolutely love this guy even more & happy he's on my favorite team! None other than....... Trent Richardson! :clap:

Didn't wanna post this in the pinned thread or the recent one due to all the negativity in it I thought it would get overlooked. But this deserves it's own thread imo

@CraigKColts: T Rich: It's fair for Donald to be starter, especially with production he's putting up. He's playing good ball.

@CraigKColts: T Rich: (Brown) deserves every bit the starting position. I'll still get my reps. It's a place in life to learn. It's humbling.

@KBowenColts: Trent Richardson said he's feeling the best he's felt since arriving in mid-Sept. Has been a bit banged up lately. Trent on not starting...

@KBowenColts: Trent: "It humbling...(still) there’s going to be a lot of opportunities to make plays just as Donald's role when he wasn’t a starter."

@HolderStephen: After a talk with Trent Richardson today, I will say his head is def in the right place. Has great perspective on his situation

@HolderStephen: He didn't say he was overwhelmed by the trade and expectations in Indy, but I think he admits it was a big load for him. He's exhaling now

Okay, read the tweets by TWO. The first 2 go together, 2nd two, then the final 2.

First writer is Craig Kelley, 2nd our very own Kevin Bowen here on the forum, & final is Stephen (not the Stephen from this forum :P )

I really love hearing him talk like that. It seemed his biggest problem in Cleveland was his attitude. Not sure if coming from bama and getting drafted #3 blew his head up to much. But glad he is coming back down to earth and putting the work in! Love the attitude. Thx to Brown for showing him the way!

Not sure where this started that it took DB 4 yrs to find himself. He averaged 3.6 ypc the first 11 games. Then he found himself, averaging 3.9 his 2nd season and 10.3 per catch (huge for RBs). Then 4.8 his 3rd year. Heck, I would take Trent getting 3.6 ypc now (which was DB's worst year). And yes, DB had bad run blocking lines for the  majority of his career here.

Why do people insist on YPC as the "marker" for a great back? If a RB plays in a spread and gets 10-15 carries a game vs nickle/dime packages and averages 6 ypc does that make him twice as good as the RB who plays in a power run scheme and faces 8-9 man fronts and averages 3 ypc?

Yet for some reason the ypc is the be all end all stats for RBs.

I posted this way before he did in two different threads. We had a thread that was for all TR .. there and in the Reggie wayne thread also. Guy steals my thunder . Would you please retract the above and give the credit where it was due ?

This post made me spill milk on my keyboard! LOL!

Why do people insist on YPC as the "marker" for a great back? If a RB plays in a spread and gets 10-15 carries a game vs nickle/dime packages and averages 6 ypc does that make him twice as good as the RB who plays in a power run scheme and faces 8-9 man fronts and averages 3 ypc?

Yet for some reason the ypc is the be all end all stats for RBs.

most fans here have zero idea who is on the field for the colts at any given time, let alone how many people are in the box on the defense. 

and a 3ypc average...

And seeing as how that's your best rebuttal statement it's obvious you have a personal vendetta against Trent Richardson. So tell this lovely forum, why is it you don't like him?

You're a Notre Dame fan aren't you? You gotta let that BCS game go. It's not your fault, don't take out personal vendettas on people over a game man. Just stop it! You need a hug?

:grouphug:

And seeing as how that's your best rebuttal statement it's obvious you have a personal vendetta against Trent Richardson. So tell this lovely forum, why is it you don't like him?

You're a Notre Dame fan aren't you? You gotta let that BCS game go. It's not your fault, don't take out personal vendettas on people over a game man. Just stop it! You need a hug?

:grouphug:

No he didn't come in and play like Barry sanders so everyone has this issue with him he's useless unless he comes in and plays like a HOFer don't you know this TK :)

No he didn't come in and play like Barry sanders so everyone has this issue with him he's useless unless he comes in and plays like a HOFer don't you know this TK :)

I dont think anyone has said he needs to play HOFer good...some people have been a bit ridiculous I know...But I think the majority of us would settle for him putting up respectable #'s

I'm just sick of everyone bashing him non stop cause he's not a top back

I dont think I ever bashed him. I think I called it like it was, He has struggled, some of thats on the O Line...some of thats on him, Now when he came out before and said in an earlier article that he hasn't missed any assignments I called that nonsense..because it clearly was but I want him to succeed as much as any other die hard Colts fan

I dont think I ever bashed him. I think I called it like it was, He has struggled, some of thats on the O Line...some of thats on him, Now when he came out before and said in an earlier article that he hasn't missed any assignments I called that nonsense..because it clearly was but I want him to succeed as much as any other die hard Colts fan

Oh I'm not saying you just there are certain ppl that a very consistent with it and I have few ppl that agree with me about Trent

Oh I'm not saying you just there are certain ppl that a very consistent with it and I have few ppl that agree with me about Trent

I think he has the raw talent to lead the league in rushing a couple years, I think if he can get over this mental hurdle he will break through. Do I think he has AP like talent? No not close but he has the raw talent to be a very good Back, He has a long way to go but I think come next year if he works hard at it through the offseason and our interiot O Line gets better then we will see a big improvement...But I dont expect elite numbers.....we will likely still be using a 2 Back set...which I like, when used correctly a 2 Back set is great....ride the hot hand