Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

.Trent Richardson demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback (merge)

CS Colts Fan

I think he has the raw talent to lead the league in rushing a couple years, I think if he can get over this mental hurdle he will break through. Do I think he has AP like talent? No not close but he has the raw talent to be a very good Back, He has a long way to go but I think come next year if he works hard at it through the offseason and our interiot O Line gets better then we will see a big improvement...But I dont expect elite numbers.....we will likely still be using a 2 Back set...which I like, when used correctly a 2 Back set is great....ride the hot hand

Yeah I think he will too I just hope for the best in FA we need to stop pissin around and fix the line for our RBs and for Andrew

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're saying may be correct but he was talking about average career length of a RB. He was actually being kind with his 4 yrs. as it isn't that long on average. The average career length for RB's in the NFL is actually only 2.57 yrs.. 

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/15527-long-average-career-nfl-player/#ixzz2mddIALR4

That doesn't really address my original point...is this all RBs?  Or is it just RBs that actually make the roster?  Because my original point was addressing players that actually make the roster...not just simply RBs that tryout but never make any roster.

Firstly, Grigs didnt draft him, he traded for him :P

Semantics aside, thats just the buisness of modern culture. Results immediatly or its a failed project. Patience is no longer a virtue of capitalist society, its all about efficiency and thrift. Patience can be at times construed as inefficient, and that is tantamount to heresy in modern culture, America especially.

Where this applies to Trent, is thr immediate loss of a top round draft pick, making it harder on the scouts to continue bringing in top, young, cheap talent. What the people pointing this out fail to see, is just how little money we have to pay for Trent, and the temporary setback in loss of a draft pick saves us money on the cap to free agent shop next year, making it an effective trade off and a hedged bet.

Talent wise, it may or may not work out, but it was still an effective use of a first pick in that Trent will cost less to our cap than a first rounder usually would, as Cleveland ate most of his guaranteed money. It was effecient, if subtely so.

This is only true under a very narrow set of circumstances. You should go back and look at some contracts and redo your math.

I don't understand all the negativity from fans sometimes--patience is a virtue, yet so many want results yesterday.  Give the guy time and he will reach the levels anticipated when Grigs drafted him.

It is a virtue.  But this is not our Dad's NFL.  It is a passing league.  It is an offense minded league.  It is a results now league.  No longer are there 5 year plans.  Have got to demonstrate improvements from the get go, and all along the way.  Every year teams jump from last to first.  and many teams in playoff last season miss out the nest while a slew of newcomers joins the post season party.  Patience is nice,  especially for longevity, but the NFL waits for no one.  However, I'm on board TRich backup and get reps until he's ready to take the featured back title.

It is a virtue.  But this is not our Dad's NFL.  It is a passing league.  It is an offense minded league.  It is a results now league.  No longer are there 5 year plans.  Have got to demonstrate improvements from the get go, and all along the way.  Every year teams jump from last to first.  and many teams in playoff last season miss out the nest while a slew of newcomers joins the post season party.  Patience is nice,  especially for longevity, but the NFL waits for no one.  However, I'm on board TRich backup and get reps until he's ready to take the featured back title.

^^^ Exactly, UFA + new CBA + salary cap + limited roster spots means you don't have the luxury of waiting around patiently for a player to develop you need your high picks to come in and produce fairly quickly and "developing" a player means they get about 2 yrs max until you need to see some production out of them to justify their roster spot.

I Read the original statement wrong.  But I was talking from a 3rd pick in the draft perspective.

The salary of the 3rd pick in 2014 (if we had it) would cost us more than Richardson, but I don't think that was what he was suggesting. Or at least I hope not.

And seeing as how that's your best rebuttal statement it's obvious you have a personal vendetta against Trent Richardson. So tell this lovely forum, why is it you don't like him?

You're a Notre Dame fan aren't you? You gotta let that BCS game go. It's not your fault, don't take out personal vendettas on people over a game man. Just stop it! You need a hug?

:grouphug:

Im an IU fan dude... Richardson is just trash.  

Well that explains that. Illinois hasn't been relevant since........ well who knows.

Trent Richardson isn't trash. I'm sure when he was at Alabama, he was better than your entire Illinois roster lol

I am guessing IU = Indiana University .... Illinois is U of I 

Yes they are worse, no need to point it out.

TK lashing out. :clap:

haha I'm not lashing out. I'm just not understanding how you call someone trash just because they have a small YPC. Then when a forum member (forgot who) points out that Ray Rice has a low YPC average you disregard that because Ray Rice has had other good seasons.

Like if you have a personal vendetta against a player just admit it. But don't just use "They're trash" as your standing argument

Well that explains that. Illinois hasn't been relevant since........ well who knows.

Trent Richardson isn't trash. I'm sure when he was at Alabama, he was better than your entire Illinois roster lol

Not that I agree that Richardson is trash but.... when he said he was an IU fan, he probably meant Indiana University, not Illinois.  

I'm not saying IU is good at football... I'm just not a bandwagon *.

Who's bandwagoning? All I'm asking is why you seem to have so much hate towards Trent Richardson. You said he sucks due to his YPC average. If that's what you use to determine if a RB is good or not then I guess that's just your method. But to each his own I suppose

Who's bandwagoning? All I'm asking is why you seem to have so much hate towards Trent Richardson. You said he sucks due to his YPC average. If that's what you use to determine if a RB is good or not then I guess that's just your method. But to each his own I suppose

How would you determine a RBs play? YPC is the most important stat for a RB. 

Bravo to TRich for the very mature and professional way he is handling this.  Makes me pull for the kid even more.  Sadly, it looks like he's taken over for Jerry Hughes and (formally) Donald Brown and has become the haters whipping boy.  Honest criticism is one thing, but I think some would be happy to see him bust just because they staked out their position that he's a bust.

How would you determine a RBs play? YPC is the most important stat for a RB.

Playmaker ability. YPC means nothing to me as there are many elements that fall into that. Trent Richardson is a playmaker when Pep uses him right. For example, the catch in the Chargers game where he broke like 5 tackles. (Forum member "Lollygagger" posted the gif of it I believe).

Plays like that fire the player up & the rest of the team up. He's a big play waiting to happen as he proved his rookie year in this league. And once he gets it going here in Indianapolis, those "experts" that downtalk us every week will be talking about how we stole the draft having Andrew Luck & Trent Richardson.

Okay maybe the last part is wishful thinking since the experts hate us but still lol

Playmaker ability. YPC means nothing to me as there are many elements that fall into that. Trent Richardson is a playmaker when Pep uses him right. For example, the catch in the Chargers game where he broke like 5 tackles. (Forum member "Lollygagger" posted the gif of it I believe).

Plays like that fire the player up & the rest of the team up. He's a big play waiting to happen as he proved his rookie year in this league. And once he gets it going here in Indianapolis, those "experts" that downtalk us every week will be talking about how we stole the draft having Andrew Luck & Trent Richardson.

Okay maybe the last part is wishful thinking since the experts hate us but still lol

I'm sorry but I don't care if he makes 1 good play every once in a while, for what we gave for him he should be a top tier back. I don't think Richardson has big play ability either, isn't his longest carry ever like 40 yards? He is slow, hits the hole with no force, and runs into defenders. Remember when he got tackled by a defender laying on his back? I'd love to be wrong on this but I just don't think he'll ever be a good RB. 

I'm sorry but I don't care if he makes 1 good play every once in a while, for what we gave for him he should be a top tier back. I don't think Richardson has big play ability either, isn't his longest carry ever like 40 yards? He is slow, hits the hole with no force, and runs into defenders. Remember when he got tackled by a defender laying on his back? I'd love to be wrong on this but I just don't think he'll ever be a good RB. 

A pick in the low 20's? Yeah we haven't exactly been hitting those out of the park recently. If it makes you feel better I'll agree we gave up a Jerry Hughes for Trent.

That doesn't really address my original point...is this all RBs?  Or is it just RBs that actually make the roster?  Because my original point was addressing players that actually make the roster...not just simply RBs that tryout but never make any roster.

It's RB's that make rosters. Hence the 2.57 yrs.. If they never made a roster, how would they last 2.57 yrs. to begin with? Granted, that takes into account all drafted RB's rds. 1 thru 7 and other UDFA's that made rosters, but the point still stands. RB's have a very short career average in the NFL.

It's RB's that make rosters. Hence the 2.57 yrs.. If they never made a roster, how would they last 2.57 yrs. to begin with? Granted, that takes into account all drafted RB's rds. 1 thru 7 and other UDFA's that made rosters, but the point still stands. RB's have a very short career average in the NFL.

You can be in the NFL and still not be on a team...they're called free agents.  that's why I posted the sources, which specifically mentioned that the 4 year average life span of football players is misleading (i.e. because it included NFL players not on active rosters, practice squads, UFAs, etc.)  That's why I am asking you about your source. 

You can be in the NFL and still not be on a team...they're called free agents.  that's why I posted the sources, which specifically mentioned that the 4 year average life span of football players is misleading (i.e. because it included NFL players not on active rosters, practice squads, UFAs, etc.)  That's why I am asking you about your source. 

Not sure the source actually went into that much detail. Honestly I just looked it up a yr. or so ago specifically about RB's because I have always heard that RB's have the shortest careers of any other position so I wanted to see what the actual numbers really were. Also, if a guy is a free agent, he technically isn't in the NFL. To be considered in the NFL, they have to be under contract. I don't really care one way or the other, but all I'm saying is that RB's have a shorter career span than any other position in football.

Not sure the source actually went into that much detail. Honestly I just looked it up a yr. or so ago specifically about RB's because I have always heard that RB's have the shortest careers of any other position so I wanted to see what the actual numbers really were. Also, if a guy is a free agent, he technically isn't in the NFL. To be considered in the NFL, they have to be under contract. I don't really care one way or the other, but all I'm saying is that RB's have a shorter career span than any other position in football.

Well, that much is true.  I had seen another RB number for guys on active rosters, and I don't know how much I trusted the sight, but it was the only one I could find.  That site said 3.6 years.  They take a beating over their careers, no doubt.

I'm sorry but he's made much more than one good play. There's actually no point in arguing with fans who have a blind hatred for Trent.

The guy was traded mid season completely out if the blue. I bet none of you who are hating him can even think about his situation. How would you feel if you were the "man" at your job and they just up and shipped you to another company. Now you have been ripped out of your comfort zone and have to move and relearn everything all over. But instead of working you into your new job you are thrown in the fire and better produce or else.

Sorry some of you think nfl players are robots and supposed to just come in and play at a pro bowl level. Pretty sad state of fan hood if you ask me.

Oh, my mistake esmort lol not familiar with that. Thanks for the correction. Either way Trent Richardson is better than that whole roster haha

I wouldn't stop there and argue that he's better than anyone in the history of iu football program. And that's coming from a long suffering iu football fan. :(

as George allen ,an old redskins coach said ,when he traded almost all the skins draft picks away for the over the hill gang. THE FUTURE IS NOW.he believed draft picks take too long to develop and many never do, so he traded his picks for old players he knew could play