Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chandler Harnish

Rich Cannon

I know all the hype surrounding Andrew Luck, and rightfully so, but I have to give Mr. Irrelevant some credit as well. He didn’t attempt many throws but did connect for a 30 yd Stripe to Jeremy Ross. Should be an interesting battle for the 2nd QB spot. Even though I believe Stanton will beat him out, Stanton needs to be on his P's and Q's. These next 3 games will be telling indeed.

yeah according to the announcers during the game, Harnish has been said to be like Tebow. i didnt see him run, but the kid does throw a nice pass, BETTER then tebow. if coached right he could be a really good QB as well. hopefully the colts dont trade him off. its been a very long time since we have had a decent back up. everytime i hear back up QB with the colts i think of sorgi and painter.

I know all the hype surrounding Andrew Luck, and rightfully so, but I have to give Mr. Irrelevant some credit as well. He didn’t attempt many throws but did connect for a 30 yd Stripe to Jeremy Ross. Should be an interesting battle for the 2nd QB spot. Even though I believe Stanton will beat him out, Stanton needs to be on his P's and Q's. These next 3 games will be telling indeed.

We are gonna keep 3 QBs, aren't we?

If so then the answer is that Stanton will be the backup with Harnish behind him. We traded for Stanton and I believe there was a mutual agreement that he is the veteran backup.

Harnish is going to be a great developing tool for the Colts... a side project this year if you would like to say it that way. However, if Stanton proves ineffective when/if needed to play in an elongated regualr season role then and only then will Harnish see playing time.

My opinion is that the Colts want Harnish to be the long term answer to Luck's backup while Stanton is a short term insurance policy that can be let go at a moments notice. I would guess that Stanton will be expendible after 3 or 4 years(if he is with the team that long).

Here is a little facts on Mr. Harnish.

1. Took Norwell High School to the State Championship with a 14-0 record (lost to Chatard)

2. Ownes 31 QB records at Northern Illinois.

3. Led NIU to 4 Bowls

4. 1 of only 5 players in College football history to pass for over 3000 yards and rush for over 1000 yards on the same season.

5. Only RG3 had more yards than Harnish last year in College football.

This kid was a steal at 253rd pick he was predicted to go as high as the 4th but probably 5th or 6th round.

He is a winner and a leader! Colts fans should be feeling very happy to have him!

If so then the answer is that Stanton will be the backup with Harnish behind him. We traded for Stanton and I believe there was a mutual agreement that he is the veteran backup.

Harnish is going to be a great developing tool for the Colts... a side project this year if you would like to say it that way. However, if Stanton proves ineffective when/if needed to play in an elongated regualr season role then and only then will Harnish see playing time.

My opinion is that the Colts want Harnish to be the long term answer to Luck's backup while Stanton is a short term insurance policy that can be let go at a moments notice. I would guess that Stanton will be expendible after 3 or 4 years(if he is with the team that long).

Once we used a draft pick on a quarterback, and then got rid of the other two quarterbacks we had on the roster, I figured the staff intended to carry three QBs. And after seeing Harnish play well yesterday, it seems even more likely. Just three throws for him, and just one pro level play, and just one preseason game, so I'm not jumping out of my chair (though that touchdown throw was a beauty, no doubt). But Harnish did himself a huge favor yesterday.

I think that Harnish could be our Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassel.

I'd be fine with that, as long it didn't come at the expense of Andrew Luck being hurt. I'd rather have a situation like the Chargers did when Charlie Whitehurst showed flashes in the preseason and was traded to the Seahawks.

Stanton will be the backup unless he implodes or is injured. Just no need to have a 7th round rookie being number two. Pretty much out of the question as he will get limited reps and was drafted as a developemental prospect. The guy with the expereience will be number 2 , even if Harnish is more talented. IMO , Harnish is going to be a good one and Stanton will probably be gone after this year.

Pretty unlikely for things to unfold as you have them. Stanton will want a chance to start somewhere and that isn't happening in Indy. Also if Harnish developes , he too will want a shot after 3-4 years. The odds of Stanton being here 4 years and Harnish beyond that are really remote considering Andrew Luck is 22 years old. I think if Harnish pans out , you will see Stanton gone after 2012 and Harnish traded after his 3rd year. If harnish looks to be no mofre than a back-up , then he could be resigned after his 4th year. Usually if a guy is a great backup , someone will want to give him a shot at starting. Thus the 3 year scenario.

Stanton will be the backup unless he implodes or is injured. Just no need to have a 7th round rookie being number two. Pretty much out of the question as he will get limited reps and was drafted as a developemental prospect. The guy with the expereience will be number 2 , even if Harnish is more talented. IMO , Harnish is going to be a good one and Stanton will probably be gone after this year.

Agree. I think Stanton will leave next season because he'll want to go somewhere that he has a chance to play. That gives Harnish time to get a little experience as a backup. I think we have him under contract for 3 years, maybe 4?

I hope they keep all three. I was very impressed with Luck and a lot fears were put to rest about our first round pick.

When he left the game and Stanton came in I resigned myself to watching some Painter-esque type play... I was happily proved wrong by Stanton and was glad to see we had more than competent backup.

When Stanton left the game and Harnish came in I once again prepared myself for fumbles, interceptions, sacks and everything else that could possibly go wrong. I doff my hat to Mr. Harnish He too proved me wrong.

Congrats to all three, if that's how they play I hope they stay Colts for many years to come.

Agree. I think Stanton will leave next season because he'll want to go somewhere that he has a chance to play. That gives Harnish time to get a little experience as a backup. I think we have him under contract for 3 years, maybe 4?

Four. Every rookie contract is four years if the player was drafted. Undrafted rookies go for three years, and then are restricted free agents in Year 4.

I hope they keep all three. I was very impressed with Luck and a lot fears were put to rest about our first round pick.

When he left the game and Stanton came in I resigned myself to watching some Painter-esque type play... I was happily proved wrong by Stanton and was glad to see we had more than competent backup.

When Stanton left the game and Harnish came in I once again prepared myself for fumbles, interceptions, sacks and everything else that could possibly go wrong. I doff my hat to Mr. Harnish He too proved me wrong.

Congrats to all three, if that's how they play I hope they stay Colts for many years to come.

I found myself waiting for the eventual dropoff as well, not just with the quarterbacks but with the entire team. It never happened.

Pretty unlikely for things to unfold as you have them. Stanton will want a chance to start somewhere and that isn't happening in Indy. Also if Harnish developes , he too will want a shot after 3-4 years. The odds of Stanton being here 4 years and Harnish beyond that are really remote considering Andrew Luck is 22 years old. I think if Harnish pans out , you will see Stanton gone after 2012 and Harnish traded after his 3rd year. If harnish looks to be no mofre than a back-up , then he could be resigned after his 4th year. Usually if a guy is a great backup , someone will want to give him a shot at starting. Thus the 3 year scenario.

Yeah. I didn't go into the detail you did, but basically I was thinking the same thing. I just don't see Stanton starting anywhere anytime soon. I don't think Harnish will make a big enough jump to catch the eye of scouts either, but he could still be traded for something down the line.

1. Took Norwell High School to the State Championship with a 14-0 record (lost to Chatard)

3. Led NIU to 4 Bowls

4. 1 of only 5 players in College football history to pass for over 3000 yards and rush for over 1000 yards on the same season.

This kid was a steal at 253rd pick he was predicted to go as high as the 4th but probably 5th or 6th round.

He is a winner and a leader! Colts fans should be feeling very happy to have him!

Also...He attended his first Colts game at the age of two months!

3. Led NIU to 4 Bowls

gata be Chndler himself! one post, obscure facts! :foam: humbled by your presence

gata be Chndler himself! one post, obscure facts! :foam: humbled by your presence

I think Harnish is a little to busy right now to worry about a blog. I do know him well an after watching the telecast and all they could talk about is being the last pick and being Mr Irrelivant, i thought I would tell the Colts fans a little about him. And yes 1 post because I couldnt remember my password, had to start over lol!

I'm still p---ed off we didn't pick Kellen Moore.

Why? Word out of camp was that he is not doing well at all. Seeing what Harnish has done, I think the Colts made the right choice.

Further, at 6'0 and being a lefty, those are two attributes that make Moore a less than ideal third stringer. Short is never desirable at the QB position. Left-handed changes things from an o-line perspective as well as hand-offs, not to mention the difference in ball movement from a receiver respective. They may be minor issues, but Harnish is a more ideal size, and typical right hander. Not to mention, he played well when given a chance.

Why? Word out of camp was that he is not doing well at all. Seeing what Harnish has done, I think the Colts made the right choice.

Further, at 6'0 and being a lefty, those are two attributes that make Moore a less than ideal third stringer. Short is never desirable at the QB position. Left-handed changes things from an o-line perspective as well as hand-offs, not to mention the difference in ball movement from a receiver respective. They may be minor issues, but Harnish is a more ideal size, and typical right hander. Not to mention, he played well when given a chance.

I assumed that was sarcasm by the other poster. I hope it was. Kellen Moore went undrafted and hasn't looked particularly good in camp according to reports.

Tebow sucks he is kind of like Lin

Not to Hijack the thread but atleast Lin actually had some good to decent statsitical games to go along with the wins.

Tebow was winning games while going 2/8 with 40 yards. The Broncos were basically winning games inspite of his horrendous passing (outside of the Steeler game).

I do tend to agree with your overall point...hype over actual production. Tebow is the definition though.

I think Harnish is a little to busy right now to worry about a blog. I do know him well an after watching the telecast and all they could talk about is being the last pick and being Mr Irrelivant, i thought I would tell the Colts fans a little about him. And yes 1 post because I couldnt remember my password, had to start over lol!

As long as we're on the subject I can chip in a little more, as a fan of him in his college days. I don't know him personally, though I had a short conversation with him before the draft. He went through an injury between his sophomore and junior years, ended up not having surgery as it was getting better on it's own, but also ended up not the starting QB for his first game as a Junior. Which was a mistake. He started every game after that. It sounds like the experience made him tougher, based on what I've read. He has good speed (not a burner though obviously), enough to surprise you in the open field, though he usually doesn't look like he's running very fast, and he's not elusive. I think he'll be an effective scrambler. He always was pretty accurate with his throws, though sometimes underthrows the target on the longer throws. I'm no expert on QB play though.

He handles himself very well in interviews and seems to be a very good leader. He broke a lot of records at NIU. I wish him the best. Of course, if he pans out he'll probably have to go elsewhere to be a starting QB.

Harnish comes from a football family. And, they are not QB's. His dad was invited to a few Pro camps as a DLineman. His dad is a big dude. He learned to be tough, and earn every yard he got at Norwell. He is going to be a tough player, and maybe be a productive player. I know all this because his dad was my coach in middle school basketball. I saw him when he was just a little kid. He has good roots.