Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should we do with waivers? [Merge]

colts 101

By Aug. 31st, nearly 1000 players will have been cut from all NFL rosters. Then what? As I understand it, Indy will be given first choice of the released players.

Could someone describe what actually happens? This is how I have heard it, using Chandler Harnish as an example.

Let's say Harnish makes the 53 man roster. If one of the hundreds of released players is a qb and the Colts believe him to be a little better, they can pick him up, releasing Chandler. Then Chandler will enter the free agent pool to hopefully get snaged by another team.

Do the Colts have to release Harnish at the same moment they pick up the new qb, or can they evaluate the new man for a few days?

Then does each team take a "pick" in the same order as they did in the draft? Or is it a mad rush to pick up new players like it was immediately after the final pick of the draft?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Aug. 31st, nearly 1000 players will have been cut from all NFL rosters. Then what? As I understand it, Indy will be given first choice of the released players.

Could someone describe what actually happens? This is how I have heard it, using Chandler Harnish as an example.

Let's say Harnish makes the 53 man roster. If one of the hundreds of released players is a qb and the Colts believe him to be a little better, they can pick him up, releasing Chandler. Then Chandler will enter the free agent pool to hopefully get snaged by another team.

Do the Colts have to release Harnish at the same moment they pick up the new qb, or can they evaluate the new man for a few days?

Then does each team take a "pick" in the same order as they did in the draft? Or is it a mad rush to pick up new players like it was immediately after the final pick of the draft?

No idea, although I suggest if you are looking for help on something, a please and thank you here and there wouldn't go amiss.

No idea, although I suggest if you are looking for help on something, a please and thank you here and there wouldn't go amiss.

Please forgive me for my rudeness. Could someone please shine a little light on this issue for me? I'm new to the Colts board and lack knowledge on "the way it's done". Thank you in advance.

When the cuts come there are two types of players.

Vested veterans(guys with 4 years or more of service) and those that don't.

Vested veterans when released become unrestricted free agents.

Those that aren't must clear waivers to be a free agent.

If the Colts make a claim on any player, then they would have to release a player to make room. Harnish would have to clear waivers. If he does, then he could be added to the practice squad at a later date September 1.

The Colts do have first dibs on all players that must pass through the waiver wire up until September 25th. Then it reverts to the 2013 season standings.

Of course any one they do claim and or sign, would have to fit under the salary cap.

Please forgive me for my rudeness. Could someone please shine a little light on this issue for me? I'm new to the Colts board and lack knowledge on "the way it's done". Thank you in advance.

You have tons of fans that know the specifics.....teams need to be at 75 on Monday....so we will have great info to go on Tuesday AM.

My guess for the Colts is the cuts will be from all across the board. Harnish will not be one. The more likely scenario is a DB gets cut (Rucker for example) and you fill that spot with the same need or 'best available.' (OL, ILB)

Teams build in 'roster spots' that they can drop if need be after cuts....for example Matt Overton at LS and the punter from San Diego State: Brian Stahovich.

For the specific rules as to 24 hour windows I will defer to the Colts Forum Rules committee. Thank you for asking for help. I did not think you were rude...will always help someone wanting to learn more about our favorite game and team! :)

If the Colts make a claim on any player, then they would have to release a player to make room. Harnish would have to clear waivers. If he does, then he could be added to the practice squad at a later date September 1.

The Colts do have first dibs on all players that must pass through the waiver wire up until September 25th. Then it reverts to the 2013 season standings.

Of course any one they do claim and or sign, would have to fit under the salary cap.

Thank you, FJC! I am glad you were here! I learned something too! :)

I believe that the waiver period is 24 hours and is done in the same order as the draft. After that a player can negotiate with any team.

The waiver period is 24 hours from July till the end of the season.

It does go in order of the draft up until September 25th.

If player x is released from say San Diego and both the Colts & Patriots put in a claim, then the Colts would get him.

once they claim a player off waivers do they then move to the back of the waiver order? I'm not sure why i think thats the case but I sure hope its not.

No, they get first crack at everyone.

So if the Colts find 10 players that they like, they have to have 10 players ready to be released.

Of course, if it comes out that a Defensive Tackle is released and the Colts put in a claim, and then a few hours later, and even better DT is released, they could claim him as well, and release the claim on the first DT, who would then go through the waiver process again.

So if the Colts find 10 players that they like, they have to have 10 players ready to be released.

Of course, if it comes out that a Defensive Tackle is released and the Colts put in a claim, and then a few hours later, and even better DT is released, they could claim him as well, and release the claim on the first DT, who would then go through the waiver process again.

See my like button is dysfunctional today.....I am really enjoying the explanations. I felt I knew the answers, but I would have been off just a bit....this is a nice learning thread young Colts fans.....:)

I'm not 100% on this but im pretty sure colts get first dibs on waivers for the first one, then they move to the back of line. I know thats how it works in the regular season, I'd assume it works the same way now.

As info., if you have not read the Colts.com article listed to the right on the screen it tells me the Colts will be aggressive...as we knew they would....I commented on that article "Always on the Hunt" A nice right up....here is the link if you have a phone and cannot get onto the page.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/ALWAYS-ON-HUNT/fe386d2f-e1b3-474f-bd96-ebac5cea973f

You have tons of fans that know the specifics.....teams need to be at 75 on Monday....so we will have great info to go on Tuesday AM.

My guess for the Colts is the cuts will be from all across the board. Harnish will not be one. The more likely scenario is a DB gets cut (Rucker for example) and you fill that spot with the same need or 'best available.' (OL, ILB)

Teams build in 'roster spots' that they can drop if need be after cuts....for example Matt Overton at LS and the punter from San Diego State: Brian Stahovich.

For the specific rules as to 24 hour windows I will defer to the Colts Forum Rules committee. Thank you for asking for help. I did not think you were rude...will always help someone wanting to learn more about our favorite game and team! :)

Nor did I. Mearly pointing out, as we have all been brought up to do, that some courtesy always helps. I'm sure Colts 101 wasn't being rude at all. And C101 could have posted the politest question in the history of the Forum, and I still couldn't have helped, as I did not have a clue myself. Back on topic (and it was my fault for the slight derailment), thanks to all for all the info, I always wondered what the waiver wire actually meant.

Nor did I. Mearly pointing out, as we have all been brought up to do, that some courtesy always helps. I'm sure Colts 101 wasn't being rude at all. And C101 could have posted the politest question in the history of the Forum, and I still couldn't have helped, as I did not have a clue myself. Back on topic (and it was my fault for the slight derailment), thanks to all for all the info, I always wondered what the waiver wire actually meant.

No problem...I was not upset with you...just wanted someone to feel comfortable asking questions. I in no way was sending that response toward you.....Colt 101 was apologizing for being rude and he was not...that is all.

I remember the first day I was on here from Direct, and made a comment on Jerry Hughes and was eatin alive......like I always say Braveheart, I can be a pain in the butt, but I am not afraid to tell someone when I am wrong.

As much as we think we know...we can learn that much more....I learned something in this thread. We are also learning this team will not back down!!!

The Colts will keep the #1 Waiver order through the 3rd week of the regular season at which point waiver order goes to the inverse of league standings. The moving to the bottom of the waiver list after taking a player doesn't happen in the NFL, but is how most fantasy leagues are set up.

Thanks to FJC for his educational posts here. I read the article BrentMC11 posted a link to and what jumped out at me is the team approach in the front office. Grigson knows players all over the league, but he also consults with the coaches about players they know well, too.

This is a TEAM from top to bottom and I love it!

Doesn't the team have some say of whether they are outright released or sent through waivers? I thought waivers was a way for the team that no longer needs the player to get out of paying the contract. Wasn't Kyle Orton put on waivers last year? The whole release vs waive thing has confused me for a long time

Unlike the previous regime who talked about keeping our own and building through the draft, you can bet that Grigs has a big board set up with likely candidates and is treating this cut down period as seriously as he did the draft.

One thing that I love about this new group, is that if there is a player...any player...that can improve the team in a way that fits our building process, he will have a horseshoe upside his head.

Unlike the previous regime who talked about keeping our own and building through the draft, you can bet that Grigs has a big board set up with likely candidates and is treating this cut down period as seriously as he did the draft.

One thing that I love about this new group, is that if there is a player...any player...that can improve the team in a way that fits our building process, he will have a horseshoe upside his head.

You make a great point Warhorse. Grigson is treating this as draft day all over, There will be 465 players to look at and evaluate for 15 positions on the team....17 if he wants to let LS Overton go or P Stahovich....Thanks for a great point on the new vs. old regime!!

Doesn't the team have some say of whether they are outright released or sent through waivers? I thought waivers was a way for the team that no longer needs the player to get out of paying the contract. Wasn't Kyle Orton put on waivers last year? The whole release vs waive thing has confused me for a long time

Not really. There is one difference and that is after the trade deadline when a player is cut/released/waived, every player has to pass through waivers like Orton did or how Randy Moss did when Minnesota released him and Tennessee claimed him. So that part of it is different, but until the trade deadline it depends on the players experience on how the release is treated.

If Orton had not been claimed by Kansas City, Denver would have still been responsible for his salary unless his contract contained offset language that would prevent him from double dipping if the Chiefs would have signed him instead of claiming him.

If Reggie Wayne were released today, he's free to sign with anyone.

If Austin Collie were released today, then he would have to clear waivers to be a free agent.

The Colts could release someone like Freeney right now to avoid paying him the 14 million dollar base salary, but he would be a free agent. If he's on the roster week 2 and he is released, then the Colts would still have to pay him the balance of the 14 million while he double dips and signs with a new team.. Just trying to cover a couple of extra bases.

Baseball also has a waiver system that is a bit different, so that can complete things when talking about football.

I did not know this part......

"The Colts could release someone like Freeney right now to avoid paying him the 14 million dollar base salary, but he would be a free agent. If he's on the roster week 2 and he is released, then the Colts would still have to pay him the balance of the 14 million while he double dips and signs with a new team.. "

..so if the Colts lose their first game and they get an a key D-lineman gets hurt in NY or Dallas

....they would do Dwight Freeney a favor by releasing him to go to somebody like Dallas or the NYGs...who might be the only teams to pick him up at a heavy salary

...bu if we upset the Bears on opening day.....and start drinking playoff Kool-Aid.....we'd keep Dwight....on that second week

I did not know this part......

"The Colts could release someone like Freeney right now to avoid paying him the 14 million dollar base salary, but he would be a free agent. If he's on the roster week 2 and he is released, then the Colts would still have to pay him the balance of the 14 million while he double dips and signs with a new team.. "

..so if the Colts lose their first game and they get an a key D-lineman gets hurt in NY or Dallas

....they would do Dwight Freeney a favor by releasing him to go to somebody like Dallas or the NYGs...who might be the only teams to pick him up at a heavy salary

...bu if we upset the Bears on opening day.....and start drinking playoff Kool-Aid.....we'd keep Dwight....on that second week

That's a strange way of looking at it..

Basically if Freeney is on the active roster week 1, he's guaranteed by the Colts to be paid the 14 million dollars of his base salary.

They can cut him now and he will only count 5 million(dead cap space) towards the 2012 salary cap.

If he's on the roster week 1, he most certainly won't be cut. I was only using that as an example. The only possibility at that point to alter his cap # would be to trade him, or to sign him to an extension. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it because it would only add to the confusion surrounding Freeney.

If he were to be cut in the hypothetical the Giants/Dallas and 29 other teams would be free to sign him to a NEW deal, because the 14 million will be coming from the Colts. They do not gain any relief by releasing him at that point. Only before week 1. So cutting him after a week 1 loss or a week 1 win will not be happening.

Finishing last place last year, we have the first choice in picking up players off the waivers. What kind of talent should we expect to be available, considering we get the pick of the litter?

That's almost impossible to tell - not even the players know who're going to get cut as of yet. We can guess, but that's all it'll be. Don't expect any major upgrades though. Best case we pull in a few decent backups.

Do we get first dibs on each player released....I guess that's where I am confused. If we do, we will pick up several quality players.

I suggest you read http://forums.colts....808-whats-next/ - especially the posts by FireJimCaldwell.

their aren't gonna be any good players released, just a bunch of journeyman.

Some good stuff on this thread huh? 465 players.....Grigson will have draft boards from 6 years ago handy...film.....we still have the trade possibilities....I trust Grigs finds something...if not this time around.....at final cuts to 53....

I still want to say thank you to FJC for giving us great 'waiver' guideline info....

Anyone have a good link to an UP TO DATE AND TIME waiver wire?

Yahoo, etc are not current.

I've looked but can't find anything useful.

It would be fun to monitor who's being cut and picked up.

HELP!

http://www.nfl.com/t...actionTeamAbbr=

That link is for august...

You'd have to switch the month to September in 6 days.

This is updated once the NFL is officially informed.