Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Order to Grigson: Improve Special Teams....

NewColtsFan

A nice story in the IndyStar newspaper.... when Irsay hired Grigson, among the things he wanted was much improved special teams.

To that end, Grigson hired TWO special teams coaches... who the players seem to like... and his basic message to the players is this.... if two players are seen as basically equal at a position, and the team can only keep one of them, the one who plays better on special teams is the one who will make the roster.

Enjoy!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120822/SPORTS03/120822046/Colts-owner-Irsay-gave-order-his-new-GM-improve-special-teams

A nice story in the IndyStar newspaper.... when Irsay hired Grigson, among the things he wanted was much improved special teams.

To that end, Grigson hired TWO special teams coaches... who the players seem to like... and his basic message to the players is this.... if two players are seen as basically equal at a position, and the team can only keep one of them, the one who plays better on special teams is the one who will make the roster.

Enjoy!

http://www.indystar....e-special-teams

No wonder, our ST was the worst, light-year behind others.

Nice article, thx NCF!

Enjoy!

What I have screamed about for 14 years. Other than the blocked punt...much improvement. I think almost everything I post these days mentions special teams. I knew the day Pagano was hired, the special teams would once again be considered a 'phase' of the game. Other than PK and punter, this area was a s bad as bad can be,. When your last return for TD was Dec. 19, 2010 with LB Tijuan Haggler running back a Josh Scobee onside kick in week 15....URRRGH.

Yes Pagano and Grigson brought in Marwan Maalouf and Brant Boyer as special teams coaches, but it was Pagano side by side with Maalouf as the minutes counted down in the Steelers game....Pagano wanted a block, and he almost got it done with the long reach of Jason Shirley and the hustle of the up and coming Jerry Brown.

I do not think it took Jim Irsay to make the feisty Pagano's liking the hard play of special teams. At the University of Miami from 1995-200, Pagano led the special teams to great success.....this coach is forever a gym rat in my book. Love it!!! While Miami was under scrutiny for some internal findings under Butch Davis, Pagano's special teams were like thunder and lightning....Thanks for the post NewColtsFan. Special Teams have always been huge....amazing they were reduced to rubble over the years.

I believe most Colts fans have been waiting for an improved special teams for years. We have a few guys that are dynamic in the return game now. One big play in the return game can turn a game around in a second whether its a forced fumble or a big return.

Enjoy!

Great quote from that article. I'll be watching for them to play like their hair is on fire

“I want to see guys screaming down the field. You’ve got to have 11 guys with a couple screws loose and they’ve got to run down like their hair’s on fire.”

Great quote from that article. I'll be watching for them to play like their hair is on fire

“I want to see guys screaming down the field. You’ve got to have 11 guys with a couple screws loose and they’ve got to run down like their hair’s on fire.”

Singing 'Billie Jean' as they thunder by......

Poetic lol

Pagano said in his press conference earlier this week what was mentioned in the article....2 equal players to consider, the one who can perform on special teams will make the roster. We have an awesome punter, and if our ST improve on coverage, then we win field position battles more often, which result in wins.

:HairOnFire:

like it! In particular, it also features the "couple of screws loose' that pagano was talking about so I added that one too :HFire:

Even better would be a blue fire horse

I like the movement, but the big one with the menacing look and hair on fire is scarier...it's what opponents will see coming at them!

Balzer.....put some pads and muscle on that lil fella and we have a deal.....also have him running over another player on the field.....the screw MUST be loose on special teams as Nadine's quote says. :)

I wish I had the the computer smarts to do that, unfortunately I don't. Maybe one of our more tech savvy members could do some work on it.

I wish I had the the computer smarts to do that, unfortunately I don't. Maybe one of our more tech savvy members could do some work on it.

Love it Balzer...I cannot even get the big one to paste properly in a new signature....I love the lil fella running around. :)

Isnt Dungys style and Caldwell learned from Dungy

Even still, that sort of thing is actually kind of Jimmy's job, and it has hurt the team... I mean, even if he didn't wanna seen like a boss about it he still could have channeled The Dude (who I'm sure is a hero of his) and been like "This aggression will not stand, man." Had that come down to Dungy, I'm sure something would have been done. Not like Dungy would tell his boss to go hang.

Even still, that sort of thing is actually kind of Jimmy's job, and it has hurt the team... I mean, even if he didn't wanna seen like a boss about it he still could have channeled The Dude (who I'm sure is a hero of his) and been like "This aggression will not stand, man." Had that come down to Dungy, I'm sure something would have been done. Not like Dungy would tell his boss to go hang.

That is a good point...we tend to forget Irsay was the GM at one point...although not a 'very good' one.....much better owner IMO!! :)

Well, we're gonna definitely need the Fire this Saturday. Have to contain Brandon Banks. He took one back on CHI last week (which was answered back with Booker running one of his own back). But still, CHI usually doesn't give up KR/PR TD's, they just make you watch Hester run his Back.

So, I do hope we improve in that area

Enjoy!

I have never heard of a pro football team with two special teams coaches.

I'm sure that every team in the league - including the Colts in the past - have followed the philosophy of "if two guys are equal, keep the one who is better on special teams". It's just common sense, because it means that they aren't really equal after all - because one is better on special teams.

The actual keys mentioned in the article are:

1) "More time, more emphasis and more money are being spent on special teams"

The first two are coaching philosophy, and are certainly welcome. It's been painful to watch for years. Unfortunately the last part is probably more important. The team is spending more money because as a rebuilding club they have that option. I wouldn't assume that they will continue to be able to do so as the team matures. It will also be interesting to see what happens as the roster is cut. Special teams benefit from depth - and that's about to be reduced.

2) "The Colts are perilously thin in the secondary, but Pagano has his three best defensive backs working on the punt team: safeties Antoine Bethea and Tom Zbikowski and cornerback Jerraud Powers."

If that's the big secret, I don't like it at all. Special teams players are usually bottom of the roster throw-away bodies for a reason. Special teams are brutal. Can this team afford to have any of those three injured (or less effective late in games because of the extra wear and tear). I don't think it's worth it.

I'm sure that every team in the league - including the Colts in the past - have followed the philosophy of "if two guys are equal, keep the one who is better on special teams". It's just common sense, because it means that they aren't really equal after all - because one is better on special teams.

The actual keys mentioned in the article are:

1) "More time, more emphasis and more money are being spent on special teams"

The first two are coaching philosophy, and are certainly welcome. It's been painful to watch for years. Unfortunately the last part is probably more important. The team is spending more money because as a rebuilding club they have that option. I wouldn't assume that they will continue to be able to do so as the team matures. It will also be interesting to see what happens as the roster is cut. Special teams benefit from depth - and that's about to be reduced.

2) "The Colts are perilously thin in the secondary, but Pagano has his three best defensive backs working on the punt team: safeties Antoine Bethea and Tom Zbikowski and cornerback Jerraud Powers."

If that's the big secret, I don't like it at all. Special teams players are usually bottom of the roster throw-away bodies for a reason. Special teams are brutal. Can this team afford to have any of those three injured (or less effective late in games because of the extra wear and tear). I don't think it's worth it.

You know, Mac, I can't remember your stance on the "should we have gone for it" debate about resting players at the end of the season, but the arguement you make above is the exact same thing, just in a different set of clothes. To save players from the rigors of ST exposure is the exact same thing as saving players from a late season game exposure. How do you feel about that?

You know, Mac, I can't remember your stance on the "should we have gone for it" debate about resting players at the end of the season, but the arguement you make above is the exact same thing, just in a different set of clothes. To save players from the rigors of ST exposure is the exact same thing as saving players from a late season game exposure. How do you feel about that?

This is different.....you make the team on special teams.....it is simple as that....some surprising names WILL be gone....Again...I could coach special teams......it is a want, need, and passion! 3 phases not 2!

I don't think that it's exactly the same, but considering that I only own one set of clothing................ :P

I've always been 100% for limiting players in meaningless games. Special teams is a bit different because the action is obviously important - it's just that it's not "that" important. I always thought that the primary attribute of a special teams player is a wanton disregard for his (or anyone elses) well-being. You just run as fast as you can and heave your body in the general direction of the guy with the ball. Kick-returners in particular have a similar chance of long-term success to the lead guy on a foot patrol through a mine-field. I just don't see the benefit of subjecting the only guy on the team with actual cover skills to that kind of abuse. Surely there are other options.