Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sooo how much do we want for Drew Stanton?

gbrads_rants

After watching Drew Stanton's performance this preseason I honestly feel like he could be a starter for a few teams...I'm thinking his former team the Jets (chuckles) or even the Cardinals...I always thought he was solid in college and was unfortunately drafted by the woeful Lions.....so what do you think we could get for him during this season or the offseason?

We should Kevin Kolb him! Hype him up, give him limited playing time and have him look great when he is not even close to being a franchise QB, then trade him away for a ton of picks like the Eagles did with Kolb!

Exactly!!!! Isn't that what everyone does in the league now?? Build up a decent back up to starter level then deal him off for a mint??? Why can't we do that??

After watching Drew Stanton's performance this preseason I honestly feel like he could be a starter for a few teams...I'm thinking his former team the Jets (chuckles) or even the Cardinals...I always thought he was solid in college and was unfortunately drafted by the woeful Lions.....so what do you think we could get for him during this season or the offseason?

He's done more on the field until now than Sanchez and Tebow combined. Maybe Jets starts to regret letting him go...

As a matter of fact even Mr. Chandler "(Ir)relevant" Harnish has more TDs... (1)

This is common, that backup QBs are shining in the preseason anyway.

Exactly!!!! Isn't that what everyone does in the league now?? Build up a decent back up to starter level then deal him off for a mint??? Why can't we do that??

I could see it. He is currently under a 1 year contract, but we could give him a 2 year extension. Put him in there for some preseason action and at the end of the games or during the final few games of the season and have him look great because of a strong supporting cast. At that point, he will be about 31. Trade him to a team who is built to win at that point and desperate for a QB for a lot of draft picks.

I thought the whole idea was to have a decent qb for a game or two if Luck went down with an injury. I think he is a good fit with us. I liked the signing when we got him and in a year he moves on and Harnish steps up to be the back up.

Exactly ......BILL...

Lets just hold onto him in case Andrew get hurt.

That was the plan. Why change the plan.

Exactly ......BILL...

Lets just hold onto him in case Andrew get hurt.

That was the plan. Why change the plan.

Agree lets stick to the plan. I'm betting that the Jet's are maybe a little upset that they let him go so easily. lmao Couldn't happen to a better team. :thmsup:

I thought the whole idea was to have a decent qb for a game or two if Luck went down with an injury. I think he is a good fit with us. I liked the signing when we got him and in a year he moves on and Harnish steps up to be the back up.

It's hard to judge Drew Stanton for me because next to Curtis Painter almost anybody else looks like Tom Brady or any other franchise QB. That being said. Stanton is a decent backup like FJC and NCF said. Stanton is longterm backup material and there is nothing wrong with that look at Charlie Batch in Pittsburg. Batch is a solid dependable fit. I wouldn't be so quick to release him just yet. An experienced backup that moves the chains consistently, if not frequently, is rare in this league. They don't just grow on trees now do they.

It is highly unlikely that the Colts keep two backup's on the roster. I think that they will keep Stanton and release Harnish.

Harnish can go on the PS. I think Harnish honestly is pretty talented, he just needs a little bit of fine tuning.

Harnish can go on the PS. I think Harnish honestly is pretty talented, he just needs a little bit of fine tuning.

Thats exactly why he won't go the PS. I have said it before but Harnish would be picked up by another team in less than a day if they put him on the PS.

Honestly do people think they would be caught with only 2 QB's on the roster after the hard lesson they learned last yr.. I guess it may be different if Luck was an established veteran that was proven to be an iron man like Manning, but he's a rookie and Stanton does not have much experience either. Harnish will be on the 53 man roster.

Thats exactly why he won't go the PS. I have said it before but Harnish would be picked up by another team in less than a day if they put him on the PS.

Honestly do people think they would be caught with only 2 QB's on the roster after the hard lesson they learned last yr.. I guess it may be different if Luck was an established veteran that was proven to be an iron man like Manning, but he's a rookie and Stanton does not have much experience either. Harnish will be on the 53 man roster.

We don't have an adequate amount of depth on the defensive side of things to keep 3 quarterbacks. When injuries start to arise we will have to cut people in order to find others to replace the injured ones.

Not sure what we will do to retain Harnish but I don't think we will keep 3 Qb

We don't have an adequate amount of depth on the defensive side of things to keep 3 quarterbacks. When injuries start to arise we will have to cut people in order to find others to replace the injured ones.

I think the depth has looked just fine throughout the roster. I hate to make guarantee's but this is one I feel pretty comfortable about. Harnish will not go to the PS and will not be released. If im wrong you can dredge up this thread and tell me "I told you so", but im betting that won't happen.

I like stanton, but I don't think his performance convinced me in total that he could be a starter. In my eye and my opinion he's appears to be a quality back up.

1. I'm pretty sure the Colts will keep 3 QBs this year. Stanton is the primary backup this year, and Harnish will take that role starting next year.

2. I think we may be a little ahead of ourselves annointing Stanton as great trade bait. Yes, he looked great against the Rams, and yes he has a nice TD pass to Whalen, but he only went 4-13 for 69 yesterday, folks (and against 2nd/3rd teamers).

3. If teams are in the market for a QB at this time, they'll probably wait for cuts first. If they find nothing on waivers, they'll probably look to guys who have a proven record, but have been demoted because of a quality up-and-comer (Hasselbeck, maybe Jackson or McCoy).

4. Stanton has been solid, but he has by no means "wowed" anyone but the Colts fandom. Cassel, Kolb and Flynn all had more opportunity, and did more wowing in those opportunities, than anything Stanton has done to date (at least prior to flopping with new teams).

It is highly unlikely that the Colts keep two backup's on the roster. I think that they will keep Stanton and release Harnish.

I think a fair number of teams keep 3 QB's. I think the chances of releasing Harnish one year after spending a draft pick on him (unless he's terrible and he's shown no sign of that so far) are very, very slim.

I'd be perfectly happy if the same 3 QB's are back next season.

I think a fair number of teams keep 3 QB's. I think the chances of releasing Harnish one year after spending a draft pick on him (unless he's terrible and he's shown no sign of that so far) are very, very slim.

I'd be perfectly happy if the same 3 QB's are back next season.

Agreed, I really can't believe that people don't think we'll keep 3 QB's. After last season, I think it's obvious we'll keep 3 and not even bat an eye about it. Harnish is being groomed to be the backup next yr.. Maybe then we'll just keep 2, but this yr. were keeping 3.

I don't think anyone is in the market for this kid either. Tarvais Jackson is on the trade block and has had a lot more success. Guarantee Kevin Kolb would be traded if anyone asked. I think Matt Moore in Miami as well. Heck...if anyone is getting offers from pre-season play it would be Kirk Cousins.

Drew won't go anywhere and I agree we keep 3 qbs. We had 3 qbs last year correct? It is very common to carry 3 qbs.

I don't think anyone is in the market for this kid either. Tarvais Jackson is on the trade block and has had a lot more success. Guarantee Kevin Kolb would be traded if anyone asked. I think Matt Moore in Miami as well. Heck...if anyone is getting offers from pre-season play it would be Kirk Cousins.

Drew won't go anywhere and I agree we keep 3 qbs. We had 3 qbs last year correct? It is very common to carry 3 qbs.

yes and no. Collins was on IR when we had Painter and Orlovsky. We also had Peyton on the roster but with no real plans to honestly play him. The better example would be Painter his rookie year when we kept Manning, Sorgi, and Painter. You are right most teams normally keep three QBs.

yes and no. Collins was on IR when we had Painter and Orlovsky. We also had Peyton on the roster but with no real plans to honestly play him. The better example would be Painter his rookie year when we kept Manning, Sorgi, and Painter. You are right most teams normally keep three QBs.

Right. We didn't resign Orlovsky until Collins got hurt.

There have been teams to carry four quarterbacks for a time, like the Bucs when Gruden was there. And they were all awful. But I would probably guess that 60-70% of teams carry three quarterbacks normally. And once we drafted Harnish, I figured that was the plan for us.

He's done more on the field until now than Sanchez and Tebow combined. Maybe Jets starts to regret letting him go...

As a matter of fact even Mr. Chandler "(Ir)relevant" Harnish has more TDs... (1)

This is common, that backup QBs are shining in the preseason anyway.

Ryan Leaf would be an upgrade for the Jets. They would have to get permission from a warden somewhere.

If Luck gets hurt this season, I would much rather be the worst team than just sort of bad. Ask the jag fans how they feel picking in the high single digits/10th overall every year.

.....It's not impossible to be good with a good back-up. In fact, it has happened alot through the years with different teams. And alot of great QB's were once back-ups. According to Bill Polian, he was fired for not having a good back-up to Manning.

We should trade Tim Tebow for Stanton & Harnish. After that we might have enough trade bait to trade Stanton and Harnish for Andrew Luck!!!!!

Its a win win for the Colts as Andrew Luck looks like he might be a great future QB. Would be nice to have him on our team!

No one will trade much for him. He's had 2 solid preseason games against backups. Don't get too excited.

He's showing us that he has the potential and ability to become a solid backup. Let's just leave him as a backup. It'll make the fan base, the FO and the coaches feel much better. I don't think 2 rookies, and only 2 rookies are good when it comes to QB numbers.