Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Sorgi vs Curtis Painter

StewieG

I am just curious, why did the previous regime of the colts get rid of Sorgi and get Painted instead?

Sorgi was much better than Painter, I just wanted to know if anyone has any clue as to why Polian did this. Sorgi was SO much better than Painter. I think if we kept Sorgi, we would have won at least 6 games last year with him as a starter.

I also think Sorgi was coming off an injury from the previous season if I remember correctly. If I'm mistaken I know someone will correct me. No problem I've slept since then. haha

He was injury prone, and he was a lot more expensive. The latter is probably the real reason.

Sorgi was never a good backup, no arm strength, and was small... i dont even know why the colts even drafted him. I actually would take painter over sorgi, at least you can work and better his skills.

I definitely disagree. Sorgi never had any of the beyond awful games Painter had. I'm not saying Sorgi was great by any means, but I'd take Sorgi all day everyday against Painter. Sorgi always did really good in the pre season, and at the end of the year when put in late in a game he always seemed to do well.

I definitely disagree. Sorgi never had any of the beyond awful games Painter had. I'm not saying Sorgi was great by any means, but I'd take Sorgi all day everyday against Painter. Sorgi always did really good in the pre season, and at the end of the year when put in late in a game he always seemed to do well.

Sorgi could never be a good backup, the guy basically came in when the colts had the game away or at the end of the season.. his only good season was 2005 where he had those two good games...

If you wanna talk about preseason, you should look at painter's game with him being on the ravens vs the falcons... if the colts had actually given their QB reps the disaster last year wouldnt have happened.

He was injury prone, and he was a lot more expensive. The latter is probably the real reason.

This. With his tenure, his price tag was getting up there. He also had shoulder issues if I am not mistaken. Both were expected to run Peyton's offense. Sorgi seemed to do it a little better, but never blew the doors off or anything. If they would have immediately adjusted the offense for Painter, we would not be blessed with Andrew Luck IMO.

If you wanna talk about preseason, you should look at painter's game with him being on the ravens vs the falcons... if the colts had actually given their QB reps the disaster last year wouldnt have happened.

Painter was a complete failure. He finally had a good game against the third string.

And Matt Cassel was really affected by Brady talking all the reps.

Sorgi was a far better quarterback than Painter.

Painter had a better arm, was more athletic, but he Sorgi understood the offense, and could read a defense. Painter never looked as lost as Painter did at various times.

As j82 and smonroe mentioned, his salary was getting up there for a back up qb, he had a 1.3 cap hit in 2009 and was going to be closer to 2.0 in 2010. Injuries also contributed to it.

If he hadn't gone on IR and had been healthy, I doubt we see the same results vs. the Jets if the great and awesome trio of Caldwell, Polian & Irsay make the same brilliant decision to pull the starters vs. the Jets.

Painter was a complete failure. He finally had a good game against the third string.

And Matt Cassel was really affected by Brady talking all the reps.

The throws he made for those TD's regardless of who was starting they were hard throws... Painter sucked cause the team sucked, he's no peyton or much less eli so he cant carry a team

The throws he made for those TD's regardless of who was starting they were hard throws... Painter sucked cause the team sucked, he's no peyton or much less eli so he cant carry a team

Painter was never good for us, pre-season or last year. He was just bad. Orlovsky managed to win. I think we shown plenty of times we lost because of poor QB play.

Painter was never good for us, pre-season or last year. He was just bad. Orlovsky managed to win. I think we shown plenty of times we lost because of poor QB play.

Umm no there were plenty times the colts could have won but they just shot themselves in the foot with sucky playing. Orlovsky's experience came into play but his attributes werent any better than painters

Point is soggy was let go because the colts thought painter was better and he was getting to expensive for them, not to mention they couldnt foresee peyton getting hurt.

I am just curious, why did the previous regime of the colts get rid of Sorgi and get Painted instead?

Sorgi was much better than Painter, I just wanted to know if anyone has any clue as to why Polian did this. Sorgi was SO much better than Painter. I think if we kept Sorgi, we would have won at least 6 games last year with him as a starter.

I didn't dislike Painter until just after his 1st NFL play. Had they won 6 games last yr. who'd be the QB now? Yikes!

Sorgi was never a good backup, no arm strength, and was small... i dont even know why the colts even drafted him. I actually would take painter over sorgi, at least you can work and better his skills.

At least Sorgi actually won a game or two in his Colts career. Painter could hardly complete two passes in succession! lmao

Sorgi had some really awful games his last few preseasons and looked like he was noticebaly regressing, was scared to take a hit and no arm strength. I think it was obvious he couldnt win a game if he had to so thus time to cut ties despite being a voice in Peyton's ear. The hope was Painter who had a stronger arm could develop into something servicable but it was also more hope then reality as he was outplayed in preseason last year. When Peyton's injury was becoming a concern we should have contacted Kerry Collins instead of waiting so long that Kerry had little chance to succeed, Dan should have been keep as Kerry's backup and inserted if he wasnt getting it. The entire situation was mishandled from day 1 really. Opting for a cheapest backups was a roll of the dice, I always said it was going to blow up and blow up it did. Never bought the excuse no vet QB would come in and backup Peyton knowing they likely wouldnt play, Billy Volek has done it for years in SD, Chris Redman in Atlanta.

did you actually watch Painter play last year?? Going into the season, most just thought he sucked.....after last season, there was little doubt.

Sorgi actually won some NFL games....Painter never will.

At least Sorgi actually won a game or two in his Colts career. Painter could hardly complete two passes in succession! lmao

Yea i give him that, but regardless sorgi is not the better QB.. it takes a team to win. So many of the colts players last year arent even on a team... shows you the kind of quality the colts had.

did you actually watch Painter play last year?? Going into the season, most just thought he sucked.....after last season, there was little doubt.

Yes i did watch painter, and he actually won the game vs the falcons this preseason.. throwing for 3tds and no 1nts... those were really good throws for TD's as well.. so ill say again painter is the better QB.

Credit goes, at least in part, to how much/little Painter got coached, too, and how much the coaches tried to play to his stengths and weaknesses.

What Sorgi lacked in physicality, he combated with intelligence. He basically had Pennington type arm strength, which is all a good backup really needs. The guy was far more successful than Painter with his limited reps.

What success did Sorgi ever have? When did he ever play in a meaningful game? People keep saying he had some wins? When???

He beat the cardinals starters with the colts back ups in 2005. He also lead the colts back ups to a win over the titans back ups in 2008 after nearly beating them in 2007 with the back ups in a game the titans had to win to make the playoffs. Not much but it's more wins than painters got.

What success did Sorgi ever have? When did he ever play in a meaningful game? People keep saying he had some wins? When???

He didn't exactly mess the bed like Painter.

Meaingful? No, he didn't win a meaningful game, but when given the chance he was more productive than Painter and played better than Painter and often times wasn't playing with the first string.

He was only given 5 chances where he had more than 20 passing attempts, and played well for the most part in those chances and the team was 2-3. Manning gets the credit for the wins since he was the starter, so while technically Painter won the same amount of games, I highly doubt he would have failed as miserably as Painter.

I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over painter unless he was injured.

Didn't he beat Arizona after Dungy's son died?

As a matter of fact, he did. Didn't get the start, obviously, but played most of the game, and we won. I didn't remember it because the game was completely irrelevant. We sat our starters, the Cardinals were terrible, and we had shut it down for the season.

Okay, Sorgi has one win.

He didn't exactly mess the bed like Painter.

Meaingful? No, he didn't win a meaningful game, but when given the chance he was more productive than Painter and played better than Painter and often times wasn't playing with the first string.

He was only given 5 chances where he had more than 20 passing attempts, and played well for the most part in those chances and the team was 2-3. Manning gets the credit for the wins since he was the starter, so while technically Painter won the same amount of games, I highly doubt he would have failed as miserably as Painter.

I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over painter unless he was injured.

I think if you have to choose between Painter and Sorgi, you're in pretty bad shape.

If you could combine the two, you might have a decent NFL quarterback. Painter has better physical tools, Sorgi has a better aptitude for the position. Maybe you get a Trent Dilfer level quarterback. Still not worthy of debate, if you ask me.

I think if you have to choose between Painter and Sorgi, you're in pretty bad shape.

If you could combine the two, you might have a decent NFL quarterback. Painter has better physical tools, Sorgi has a better aptitude for the position. Maybe you get a Trent Dilfer level quarterback. Still not worthy of debate, if you ask me.

I agree, if either are QB1 it would be a long season.

Dilfer might be a decent example of what they would be like combined. The combo might be better than that, but that is too mythical for a football board.

He also beat Tenn the last game of the season one year...but they were HORRIBLE.

They weren't horrible. They won the division that year, 13-3. But they pulled their starters just like we did.

We're at two wins for Sorgi. None of them meaningful, and none of them on his official record because he didn't start, but I can give him a pat on the back.

I agree, if either are QB1 it would be a long season.

Dilfer might be a decent example of what they would be like combined. The combo might be better than that, but that is too mythical for a football board.

No more mythical than some of the "we should sign/trade for player x" threads we have.

Not Dilfer? I was choosing between him and Hasselbeck, and thought Hasselbeck was a little too good. I also thought about Pennington, but Painter's arm is bigger than Chad's. Who do you have?

Maybe Tom Brady? ;)

No more mythical than some of the "we should sign/trade for player x" threads we have.

Not Dilfer? I was choosing between him and Hasselbeck, and thought Hasselbeck was a little too good. I also thought about Pennington, but Painter's arm is bigger than Chad's. Who do you have?

Maybe Tom Brady? ;)

Well, Players can be signed. Good old Victor Frakenstein can't really give Painter Sorgi's brain.

Hasselbeck is a little too good. I think Painter's arm is a bit more lively than Dilfer but it's likely close. He's probably the best combo. Pennington has the mental ability down.

Hmmmm.

Andrew Luck? Ha!

John Kitna could be there with Hass, Dilfer & Pennington.

Trent Green would be another good example, but he might be too good too.