Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Sorgi vs Curtis Painter

StewieG

Well, Players can be signed. Good old Victor Frakenstein can't really give Painter Sorgi's brain.

Hasselbeck is a little too good. I think Painter's arm is a bit more lively than Dilfer but it's likely close. He's probably the best combo. Pennington has the mental ability down.

Hmmmm.

Andrew Luck? Ha!

John Kitna could be there with Hass, Dilfer & Pennington.

Trent Green would be another good example, but he might be too good too.

Can't sign Dwayne Bowe when he's franchise tagged. Can't trade a bag of field turf for Jared Allen. You get the point.

Jon Kitna is a good example. Twice threw for 4,000 yards, once upon a time got Matt Millen's Lions to 7 wins. Career 77.4 rating (not much lower than Hasselbeck's 82.2). And you're still desperate for an upgrade.

My all-time favorite Franken-player scenario would be Luke Walton+Devean George. All Star small forward, I think.

I would take Sorgi any day over Painter in my opinion, I think Painter is one of the worst QB I've ever seen, how do you look like you've never played football before when you have the greatest QB of all-time as your mentor? you seriously didn't learn anything seriously? As for Sorgi he may have never been great but he came in and managed the game; and never made the ridiculously bad decisions and errors that Painter did,if anybody on here thinks Painter was better than Sorgi 1) YOUR BLIND or 2) you know nothing about sports! END OF STORY!!

Can't sign Dwayne Bowe when he's franchise tagged. Can't trade a bag of field turf for Jared Allen. You get the point.

Jon Kitna is a good example. Twice threw for 4,000 yards, once upon a time got Matt Millen's Lions to 7 wins. Career 77.4 rating (not much lower than Hasselbeck's 82.2). And you're still desperate for an upgrade.

My all-time favorite Franken-player scenario would be Luke Walton+Devean George. All Star small forward, I think.

Well, some are as unrealistic. I was thinking more along the lines of the Chad Johnson type threads, but some are equally as impossible.

I think i'd have to go with Shaq and Reggie Miller or Larry Bird.... Something that big and strong with a shot.... It's over..

When?

I recall Sorgi playing virtually all of a season ending game against the Arizona Cardinals and leading the Colts to a victory. Manning was rested and the Colts still came away with the "W".

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2006/01/01/NFL-Indianapolis-17-Arizona-13/UPI-37501136162974/

Also the season that the Titans finished 13-3 and won the AFC South, Sorgi quarterbacked the Colts in the second half of a win over them in the season finale. I remember Peyton was on the headset calling in the plays for him. At first, I thought Sorgi started the whole game but he didn't. Nevertheless, he didn't single handedly hand over the lead like Painter did against the Jets in 09.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2006/01/01/NFL-Indianapolis-17-Arizona-13/UPI-37501136162974/

There you go.

Well, some are as unrealistic. I was thinking more along the lines of the Chad Johnson type threads, but some are equally as impossible.

I think i'd have to go with Shaq and Reggie Miller or Larry Bird.... Something that big and strong with a shot.... It's over..

That's not fair. The point is to take two below average players and combine them to make a good player. If we're going your route, I'm combining MJ with whoever you want, and getting a better MJ.

Sorgi was a decent backup. However, he had been placed on injured reserve and was to make 1.08 in salary in the next upcoming season. His time was up. I had high hopes for Painter, but we handled him totally wrong. Up until now, I'd take a healthy Sorgi over Painter. OTOH, maybe Baltimore will change Painter and my decision.

Hey, Painter got more chances vs a Lions defense 2nd stringers and was 10 out of 20 for 86 yards and 1 INT. Tyrod Taylor looked even worse, so the Ravens' backup QB is probably Painter. :)

Sorgi's decision making was what would have helped him overcome lack of his arm strength as a BACKUP QB. Neither Sorgi nor Painter were starter material by any means and I firmly believe both were drafted to be a backup till Peyton retired and his successor was chosen with a high draft pick.

Sorgi would have been a Chad Pennington type QB, will make good decisions under pressure, and keep the chains moving. Neither would have won more than 3 or 4 games in a season even with a lot of reps as a starter, IMO. They were just that, backups.

I actually saw Jim Sorgi play quite a bit at UW-Madison while I was acquiring my second Master's degree in Library Science. He reminds me a lot of former Jets & Dolphins QB Chad Pennington. Very smart guy, good not great arm strength, fragile and delicate like a piece of fine china--quite easily injury prone. Sorgi was a decent dissector of blitzes, pass rushers, and releasing the ball quickly.

He moved the chains reasonably well, but if you got him off his spot and forced him to throw on the run, Sorgi's accuracy suffered. Sorgi also could anticipate throws even if his vision was obstructed or blocked. He was no Peyton Manning naturally, but unlike Painter Sorgi had better touch on the ball and he didn't struggle with less than perfect pocket IMO.

Umm no there were plenty times the colts could have won but they just shot themselves in the foot with sucky playing. Orlovsky's experience came into play but his attributes werent any better than painters

Point is soggy was let go because the colts thought painter was better and he was getting to expensive for them, not to mention they couldnt foresee peyton getting hurt.

I'm going to be nice about this. Painter couldn't read "Run Rex, Run", much less a defense. Sorgi was a student of the game and although his arm strenth was average, he found the open receiver. The Colts knew about the prognosis of his shoulder and let him go. He did very well with the Giants until reinjuring it.

Painter was a local and cheap, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If Polian, for one second, thought that the Colts would seriously need a backup to Manning, Painter wouldn't even be a consideration. Oh wait, he did consider it and it got him fired.

Yes i did watch painter, and he actually won the game vs the falcons this preseason.. throwing for 3tds and no 1nts... those were really good throws for TD's as well.. so ill say again painter is the better QB.

good for him....winning a meaning less pre-season game....probably the only one he'll ever win.

never understand the praise you gave him the last couple of years

I am just curious, why did the previous regime of the colts get rid of Sorgi and get Painted instead?

Sorgi was much better than Painter, I just wanted to know if anyone has any clue as to why Polian did this. Sorgi was SO much better than Painter. I think if we kept Sorgi, we would have won at least 6 games last year with him as a starter.

Soooo easy. It was about the money. Sorgi was making close to a mil a year just on seniority, well not actually all on seniority, but a lot.