Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What the "F" position means

HtownColt

This article is for people who are still curious on just what the "f" position is. There are different variations of but in Dwayne Allens case:

"Rookie tight end Dwayne Allen is the starting F, and it’s akin to the H-back slot we are more familiar with. He’s the move tight end, who will shift and reset and start plays all over the place -- in the backfield, on the line or even split out.

But when Allen is not on the field as the F, the spot is something different in coordinator Bruce Arians' offense.

Titans receiver Nate Washington played under Arians in Pittsburgh. Per Washington, in a three-receiver set in Arians' system, the F is an outside receiver who runs a lot of double moves and deep routes. In the Colts’ current construction, that should be Donnie Avery or rookie T.Y. Hilton."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcsouth&id=39454

This article is for people who are still curious on just what the "f" position is. There are different variations of but in Dwayne Allens case:

"Rookie tight end Dwayne Allen is the starting F, and it’s akin to the H-back slot we are more familiar with. He’s the move tight end, who will shift and reset and start plays all over the place -- in the backfield, on the line or even split out.

But when Allen is not on the field as the F, the spot is something different in coordinator Bruce Arians' offense.

Titans receiver Nate Washington played under Arians in Pittsburgh. Per Washington, in a three-receiver set in Arians' system, the F is an outside receiver who runs a lot of double moves and deep routes. In the Colts’ current construction, that should be Donnie Avery or rookie T.Y. Hilton."

http://m.espn.go.com...csouth&id=39454

Dwayne Allen is going to be a Beast this Year. What that Article just said, he's doing EXACTLY what he was doing at Clemson. Backfield, TE, Slot, Etc. this is definitely playing to his Strengths

Thanks for the post! I guess that kind of explains why the F is listed as a WR2 on the Colts.com depth chart.

I noticed this line in that article: "In a two tight end set, one of the tight ends is the F, usually the faster, more agile guy" Does this mean Allen is the faster, more agile of the two? Or is this the "usually" showing and Arians just wants to change it to the better blocker?

It is mostly just a classification/title.

X split end/wide receiver

Y tight end

Z flanker/wide receiver

It also depends on the playbook/verbage that the coach uses.

I dug up a 2004 Steelers playbook. Arians wasn't the OC at that point and just the WR coach, but it had this explanation in it:

You'll have to click the graphic to enlarge it.

f2004steelers.jpg

Various spots the F will line up:

f-formationas.gif

Various Packages

fpackages.gif

In some cases it's a full-back, others it's a 2nd TE or 3rd WR.

Either way it's just a short label to shorten play calls..

Thanks for the post! I guess that kind of explains why the F is listed as a WR2 on the Colts.com depth chart.

I noticed this line in that article: "In a two tight end set, one of the tight ends is the F, usually the faster, more agile guy" Does this mean Allen is the faster, more agile of the two? Or is this the "usually" showing and Arians just wants to change it to the better blocker?

No way Allen is the faster more agile player. I think it's more of a case of him being the "better" player at this point in time.

The biggest difference you'll see in this year's offense and the previous years is pre-snap movement. Rarely did the offense shift from formation to another under Manning. They had some simple motions from the receivers, or maybe a slight shift with a WR and Clark, switching whether they were on the LOS or not, but there will be a lot more motions and a lot of shifts from say 4 wide to a bunch, or 2 te to trips, and so on. Pre-snap will look a lot different.

OK, I confess.....

I looked at the title of this thread.... "what the F position means...." and my mind went in a different direction! You know.....

(Dear Penthouse, I never thought I'd be writing a letter like this.....) haha:spit:

And now that I see what it is.... well.... I'm a little bit let down.... Oh, what might've been... :lol:lmao:lol:

Sometimes I'm a bad, Bad, BAD boy!!! :thmup:

Carry on. Don't let me interrupt. Move along. Nothing to see here!

XOXOXO

OK, I confess.....

I looked at the title of this thread.... "what the F position means...." and my mind went in a different direction! You know.....

(Dear Penthouse, I never thought I'd be writing a letter like this.....) haha:spit:

And now that I see what it is.... well.... I'm a little bit let down.... Oh, what might've been... :lol:lmao:lol:

Sometimes I'm a bad, Bad, BAD boy!!! :thmup:

Carry on. Don't let me interrupt. Move along. Nothing to see here!

XOXOXO

I erased 3 posts.. wasn't sure what the best joke was, but I knew what wouldn't fly around here.

I erased 3 posts.. wasn't sure what the best joke was, but I knew what wouldn't fly around here.

Hey, I wasn't even sure if what I wrote would fly around here....

But I thought it was worth a shot! Glad that so far it is still standing.... hope it remains that way. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty harmless.

Hey, I wasn't even sure if what I wrote would fly around here....

But I thought it was worth a shot! Glad that so far it is still standing.... hope it remains that way. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty harmless.

Think 4th grade....