Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp As Seen By Albert Breer

21isSuperman

I dont like to hear that the 2012 Colts cant be measured by wins and losses...That's a cliche and it isnt true

..all pro teams are measured by wins and losses......cant get away from that....

.....I also saw absolutely no evaulation of the offensive line which is the key to the team and the standing 'weak spot'

(To be fair....I dont know enough to judge offensive line play until some games are played, either)

But that's sure a more complete report than you get on TV and I appreciate you posting that...Supe

"The mindset we wanna develop, how we're gonna play this game, we wanna be a smart, tough, physical, disciplined football team that can run the football and stop the run. And the only way I know how to do that is you gotta hit. You gotta do some banging. That's the only way I know how to develop that. That's not something you flip the switch and say, 'OK, we're gonna be a physical football team.' It's not gonna happen that way."

And my Chuck Pagano mancrush starts NOW

I dont like to hear that the 2012 Colts cant be measured by wins and losses...That's a cliche and it isnt true

..all pro teams are measured by wins and losses......cant get away from that....

I think the point was that measuring progress would be more important than actual wins and losses. But I get what you're saying

Thanks for the post. I like the hard hitting in practice. A good way for a young team to get game ready. One more reason why I think the colts will be a good team THIS year.

I hope you're right.

I think the new coaches can turn the defense into a more power than speed force....and that's what I want to see this year

..but we are not equipped to be a physical running team.....that's just talk

http://www.nfl.com/t..._content_stream

--

A pretty fair evaluation. I really like Albert Breer

Thanks for sharing 21st. To me this is on point with all we have discussed to date.

One thing I like reading is that Powers is taking to the new system. It helps that he has a guy like Roy Anderson giving some DB advice along with Mike Gillhamer....not to mention Coach Pagano and Manusky. One thing some of the Manusky 'haters' do not realize is how well respected he is as a teacher. We can argue his defensive conservatism in previous stops, but he is a good communicator.

I am with egg on the practices. When you have 54 of 90 with a 1 beside their name, the staff needs to evaluate who is gonna 'hit ya, and who can 'wrap up.' Here I say it for the 1 millionth time....whoever proves he can hit and contribute to a special teams that is a 'destructive force' will fill the last few spots on the final roster and/or practice squad. IMO, there are not enough 'hitting' days allowed in the CBA. We have to hit and learn on days we can.

.....I also saw absolutely no evaulation of the offensive line which is the key to the team and the standing 'weak spot'

(To be fair....I dont know enough to judge offensive line play until some games are played, either)

But that's sure a more complete report than you get on TV and I appreciate you posting that...Supe

Hey, I'm happy whenever a report on the Colts goes past getting Luck an losing Peyton. If you want in depth meaningful Colts talk on a national level you need to call the NFL Channel on Sirius and talk to them.

I hope you're right.

I think the new coaches can turn the defense into a more power than speed force....and that's what I want to see this year

..but we are not equipped to be a physical running team.....that's just talk

....I agree that the talk means nothing. I for one would prefer that Arians would not make such statements, and just get to work. But I think there is evidence that the Colts will run the ball well this year.

http://www.nfl.com/t..._content_stream

--

A pretty fair evaluation. I really like Albert Breer

That is a terrific article... and a very fair story... I think the only oversight is no mention of the OL and what that units performance could mean for Indy.

But, otherwise.... long and detailed.... and I thought pretty darn accurate. Should be required reading by all Colts fans....

Call me a fan of Breer as well.

Thanks to 21 for posting this....

Great article.

Hopefully the hitting in practice leads to less injuries on the field since we have been injury prone for so long.

It is actually amazing but true that the additional physicality of practice and the teaching of fundamental tackling and blocking skills can help reduce injuries. Good point Lolly!

With Pagano making note of 100% coming is passing physical tests, that says a lot about the kids we have as well as expectations set by Grigs, Pagano, and new strength and conditioning coach Roger Marandino!

It is actually amazing but true that the additional physicality of practice and the teaching of fundamental tackling and blocking skills can help reduce injuries. Good point Lolly!

With Pagano making note of 100% coming is passing physical tests, that says a lot about the kids we have as well as expectations set by Grigs, Pagano, and new strength and conditioning coach Roger Marandino!

And to think, we're only 10 days away from seeing the Physical Toughness that is being taught at TC. Can't wait for the Pre-Season Opener!!!!!!

I was LOVING this Article..... Until I clicked "Play" on that Vid in the Bottom Right side of the Page :bored: :nono2: Once again, just the NFL Total Access guys talking trash about us.

"You look at the lack of Offense. You have Luck, you have Reggie Wayne, that's about it" Can't wait for the Season to prove them WRONG!!!

My favorite things from the article that I haven't heard a lot were:

1) Andrew Luck: It's not just how he commands the huddle or gets his guys positioned pre-snap, either. It's how he calls out the Mike linebacker and coverage, and adjusts everything at the line. Andrew Luck's as good as advertised. <--- A bold statement about a rookie by a respected source. (no pun intended)

2) What Pagano brings, we're not used to: we wanna be a smart, tough, physical, disciplined football team that can run the football and stop the run. And the only way I know how to do that is you gotta hit. This will make a world of difference, I believe, in the style of game we see. We still have absolute stand-up guys that exeplify what we have come to love about the Colts, but they will show that they can be courteous as they help up the guy they leveled. Love this concept.

3) Redding: Provides leadership and knowledge of the scheme. Redding has served as a mentor -- not just to young guys, but also to players like Mathis and Freeney who are trying to get up to speed with the new system and culture. I have heard him yelling and being a vocal leader on the field, and everyone always hopes that guys who know a system will help out others, but this guy has been huge for this team this year already, and without taking one snap in an NFL game for the Colts.

4) Donnie Avery: The fifth-year receiver has had a long road back from a torn ACL suffered in the 2010 preseason, but he finally seems to be returning to the form that led to a promising two-year start to his career with the St. Louis Rams. Another pretty bold statement... if this guy can get back into his old ways, he would be a very big part of making this offence dangerous.

5) Jerraud Powers: who has battled injuries but started all 34 of the games he's participated in during his first three years, is taking to man to man coverage -- and quickly. A big year could mean a big payday for the impending free-agent. I think most people like Powers as a player, when he's on the field, but I'm glad to hear he is doing so well in man coverage.

Keep in mind how the Colts look now will be different from games as far as how good or bad they look from any one persons point of view, But I have been pretty impressed with guys like Powers and Freeney as well as Luck and and Fleener, Hilton, and Collie and Angerer. I those are the guys that have had the best camp with a few others not far behind, Kris Adams for 1 I have been impressed with

I liked it all except this part: "The well-worn Tampa-2 used to demand that Indy's guys could tackle and press, but they were rarely asked to go man-to-man with receivers."

I'm not exactly sure how many times the Colts were in press coverage, but I think that it was definitely not that often.

When I went yesterday to Colts training camp it looked like thats one of the drills that was being done, Press Coverage, being physical at the line, Powers is not a speedy Corner so if he does not or did not get a good jam in the past anyway on the wide receiver then it was to beat him deep in my opinion for good wide receivers