Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pro Football Weekly: Colt's Cornerbacks....

NewColtsFan

This is from the same column that said Angerer might be too small for the system that Pagano brought with him from Baltimore....

And it's about all the Colts cornerbacks.... some optimistic viewpoints offered... cutting and pasting.

• Much of the talk regarding the Colts’ CB competition opposite incumbent Jerraud Powers has centered on Kevin Thomas, who ran with the first team during offseason work, and second-year player Chris Rucker, who gained valuable starting experience amid a plethora of injuries last season. But we hear that Terrence Johnson’s name shouldn’t be discounted. A source indicated to PFW that Johnson could be an ideal fit to man the slot when the Colts go their subpackages, though he will see heavy competition from the aforementioned names, in addition to former Bronco Cassius Vaughn, former Ram Justin Kingand holdover Brandon King.

Good stuff. Worth noting and paying attention to during Training Camp and the Pre-season....

This is from the same column that said Angerer might be too small for the system that Pagano brought with him from Baltimore....

And it's about all the Colts cornerbacks.... some optimistic viewpoints offered... cutting and pasting.

• Much of the talk regarding the Colts’ CB competition opposite incumbent Jerraud Powers has centered on Kevin Thomas, who ran with the first team during offseason work, and second-year player Chris Rucker, who gained valuable starting experience amid a plethora of injuries last season. But we hear that Terrence Johnson’s name shouldn’t be discounted. A source indicated to PFW that Johnson could be an ideal fit to man the slot when the Colts go their subpackages, though he will see heavy competition from the aforementioned names, in addition to former Bronco Cassius Vaughn, former Ram Justin Kingand holdover Brandon King.

Good stuff. Worth noting and paying attention to during Training Camp and the Pre-season....

Nothing about Cameron Chism?

You shouldn't fall in love with an undrafted player's highlights. Particularly Chism and Hicks.. Though I do want them on the team and rather see them start that guys like Kevin Thomas or whoever we have at guard... not really saying much

everyone has players they like that they brought in and besides what have the players that are in front them done?

I like Thomas, I hope he comes out better this year with a full off season.

he has cover skills, I have seen them in flashes but he needs to turn some more of them deflections into picks, I also hope to see him be physical at the line

he has cover skills, I have seen them in flashes but he needs to turn some more of them deflections into picks, I also hope to see him be physical at the line

I definitely would like to see Kevin Thomas be a bit more physical, especially in the tackling department.

He seemed somewhat soft to me last year.

I definitely would like to see Kevin Thomas be a bit more physical, especially in the tackling department.

He seemed somewhat soft to me last year.

Every CB that's come through Indy for the past 10 years has been somewhat soft. It just comes with the coverage scheme. I thought he hit relatively hard for a guy that looked so lanky.

They actually have experience at the NFL level.

And what have those players got to show for that NFL experience that they have? It takes more then experience to hold a position. this shouldnt even turn into a debate, Grigson brought the other Corners in because the ones we had last year and the few we kept from last year really weren't getting the job and still werent during OTA's

And what have those players got to show for that NFL experience that they have? It takes more then experience to hold a position. this shouldnt even turn into a debate, Grigson brought the other Corners in because the ones we had last year and the few we kept from last year really weren't getting the job and still werent during OTA's

He brought them in to fill the 90-man roster. Not because he is dead set on making them starters. They have potential, but lets first see how they do in the nfl before we start putting guys like Chism and Hicks ahead of everyone else on the depth chart. For all we know Chism could be the next jacob lacey or hicks could be the next pollak... Im just saying, seeing an undrafted player's highlights and falling in love with them, then putting them as starters on the depth chart is ridiculous

Every CB that's come through Indy for the past 10 years has been somewhat soft. It just comes with the coverage scheme. I thought he hit relatively hard for a guy that looked so lanky.

He was drafted as a cover 2 corner with some ability to play man as well. Cover 2 corners should characteristically be pretty good tacklers because they play much more run support due to playing the short/flat zone a great majority of the time. I can't say that most of the colts corners have been soft in the tackling dept. Hayden, Nick Harper, Marlin Jackson, Donald Strickland(hurt all the time though) were pretty adequate tacklers. Thomas is ok, but I would like to see him do a bit better as a tackler

He was drafted as a cover 2 corner with some ability to play man as well. Cover 2 corners should characteristically be pretty good tacklers because they play much more run support due to playing the short/flat zone a great majority of the time. I can't say that most of the colts corners have been soft in the tackling dept. Hayden, Nick Harper, Marlin Jackson, Donald Strickland(hurt all the time though) were pretty adequate tacklers. Thomas is ok, but I would like to see him do a bit better as a tackler

Kevin Thomas really isn't a Cover 2 corner. Yeah, that's what we played, but he played much more man coverage in college. And from my watching his play last season, he does better in man coverage than in zone coverage. I think he can be a decent corner for us if we allow him to engage receivers rather than playing big cushions.