Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vilma blaming everyone but himself in bounty-gate

oldunclemark

Vilma suit outs Cerullo as Saints whistleblower

08:32 AM ET 07.02 | Jonathan Vilma's long and winding road with the Saints has added a few more miles.

The latest [Vilma] lawsuit blows the whistle on many things regarding the bounty investigation. It also blows the whistle on the notorious whistleblower. Though it's been widely rumored that former Saints defensive assistant Mike Cerullo is the person who resurrected the bounty probe by reaching out to the league office in 2011,

Vilma's civil complaint makes it clear that Vilma believes Cerullo created the present mess. Vilma also believes that Cerullo is acting out of spite. ... If Vilma's allegations are true, the bounty case against him and the other players has been seriously undermined.

Pro Football Talk

Edited by Maureen
removed tags

Does Vilma know what a federal indictment, if he is proven guilty, can do to his career? It is more damage than a one year suspension, just for a start. What kind of advice is he getting? He just wants to go out and rat out on everyone, just to alleviate some of the flak he is taking? He is not going to be exonerated, no matter which path he takes. Pleading lenience with the commissioner might get him back on the field faster than hardball tactics.

Jonathan Vilma Alleges Former Assistant Coach Fabricated Evidence In Bounty Probe In Newly Filed Lawsuit Against NFL

second lawsuit against the NFL in U.S. District Court in New Orleans. In his latest filing the Saints Linebacker has asked for a quick ruling on his supension appeal and, alternatively, for a temporary restraining order that would permit Vilma to continue working should Goodell uphold the ruling.

According to the CBA, argues Vilma, the NFL should have made a ruling "as soon as practicable" and should have been June 25, the first business day after the record was closed. Since the players refused to offer new evidence in protest, the League should have made a decision quickly. Vilma also used the new suit to reiterate some of the claims we have grown accustomed to in this scandal-gate, with a few twists.

His suit also claims that the few key pieces of evidence the league shared are flawed, including printed reproductions of handwritten notes.

"The NFL's alteration of other documents evidences that the NFL cannot substantiate the suspension, and undermines the integrity of the process," Vilma's lawsuit states.

The credibility attacks do not end there. Vilma alleges that fired assistant coach Mike Cerullo, a man responsible for providing information key to the NFL's investigation, had a vendetta against the Saints after being fired and receiving what he claims was an imitation, cubic zirconia, Super Bowl ring.

More important than that ridiculous allegation is the one alleging Cerullo created a document listing bounty pledges for the 2009-2010 season NFC Championship game "well after the 2009 NFC Championship game and in an effort to gain revenge against the Saints." The Vilma suit also alleges that Cerullo retracted his statements made to the NFL, an allegation the NFL has denied.

Finally, Vilma alleges that a "close friend and associate" of former defensive coordinator Greg Williams, claims Williams never admitted to the existence of a bounty program in discussions with Goodell. This, however, sounds like another in a line of exercises in semantics as Williams did admit to participating in a "pay for performance program."

Edited by Maureen
removing tags

Vilma is geting bad representation...

His arguements seem farfetched.

This road goes nowhere...

./.work out a face-saving deal with the commissioner....and be back by Thankgiving...

..or keep pushing these weak-based lawsuits and be out for the year...or forever

Man.....

Don't get me started on these guys.... because once I do, I might not ever stop!

I think these guys are dirty. And I laugh when the most sainted of Saints -- Drew Brees -- says he knew nothing about it! Hah! Everyone on that team knew.

If there was ever a topic for me to Blog on and go off on a rant, this is it. There's just so much that points against the Saints on this one.

That said... I'll end this with this.... the NFL has completely mismanaged and mishandled this. And now, they're dealing with Brees going on shows like Letterman and doing other interviews that gain the accused players and other Saints and getting them sympathy. He's been able to raise an element of doubt for some (not me) because of the way the NFL has botched this.

This was not one where the NFL could >>> this up. But I think they have. Whether they can self-correct and handle it better remains to be seen.

To me its a simple matter of releasing the evidence of there wrong doing, the tape proved Gregg Williams guilty, all Goodell has to do is release the evidence of the players wrong doing, he is ^messing^ it up, it makes me wonder what he has got even more, if anything. I dont exactly like Goodell he seems to be good at ^messing^ things up......most notably the rules and making them very unclear to the point refs dont know whats helmet to helmet and whats not and whats a late hit and whats not, so my trust is low on him, if I had proof of the goings on I would release that to the public to remove all doubt of any lies or to expose lies.....I never accused Goodell of being a good commissioner though.....because that would be a lie, cant believe we have to deal with 10 more years of it

yeah I just listened to it again, I think there have been worse things in sports but still certainly suspension worthy, My guess as to why Vilma got the longest suspension is because he is or was the leader of that defense

The only thing that makes me question the accuracy of any of this bounty-gate garbage is that there were never any reports of a bounty on 18 in the Super Bowl.

As the games get bigger and with 18 being better than Favre or Warner, one would think the cash would increase to see him carter off.

I think to me the worst part about it didnt come till late in the tape when Williams was talking about taking out #10'S ACL (forget who #10 is or was) and affect the head......now is that enough to say players were paid for a bounty, Im not sure, I do know that a player was given a 200 dollar reward for an interception. Then again I have never been a fan of Goodell anyway, I think from the sounds of that tape he has a case based on assumption and not enough hard facts, I also think Goodell was making an example out of Vilma with the suspension. Which given the facts that we all have heard, I think is to long, a suspension was in order but not for any particular hit but for him not stepping up and saying something. I think 8 games would have been enough, In my opinion there is alot more to it and also I am 100 percent sure that isnt the only team that gives out rewards for plays made. Like I said I am back and forth on this, if someone can show me more concrete proof other then Gregg Williams saying there was a bounty and a 12:08 tape then I will change my mind depending on whats presented

I just think the coaches should have received the harsher penalty. 1 year is somewhat excessive for players. It's almost as if he's taking advantage of the agreements in the CBA that makes him judge, jury, executioner. I don't like anyone involved in this, not the commish, these coaches, or the suspended players. I see wrong doing at all ends here.

looks like the bolding issue in this thread was caused by text pasted from elsewhere.

I removed the tags and the thread corrected.......at least I think it did

funny the things you learn when things go wrong. now i understand the 'paste as plain text' feature in most browsers. sort of anyway :)

What a leader :sarcasm:

I've lost all respect for Vilma. He's a joke to me. Gregg Williams himself has said there was a bounty in place and Vilma continues to disagree. I hope he never plays another down in the NFL again.

Exactly right gentlemen. With each lawsuit Vilma files with his legal team, he looks like a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum to me. I understand that it is hard to go without game checks for an entire NFL season, but when you remain silent & then cry fowl play what GM or owner would ever want you on their roster period?

Answer: No organization beyond New Orleans IMO. Take your medicine like a responsible adult Mr. Vilma & came back to me when you have a real problem okay.

On a side note, considering QB Drew Brees is in the middle contract negotiations himself, probably his last contract with big money in it, he needs to shut the bleep up. You are the face of the Saints Brees. Show more dignity & decorum than that please.

I've lost all respect for Vilma. He's a joke to me. Gregg Williams himself has said there was a bounty in place and Vilma continues to disagree. I hope he never plays another down in the NFL again.

It shows a man's true colors. He's too immature, and always has been, whether it be at The U or with the Jets.

I was going to say - I know that a lot of Jets fans didn't think all that highly of him when he was with them. It's actually his brief period of "respect" with NO that is the anomaly.

I just think the coaches should have received the harsher penalty. 1 year is somewhat excessive for players. It's almost as if he's taking advantage of the agreements in the CBA that makes him judge, jury, executioner. I don't like anyone involved in this, not the commish, these coaches, or the suspended players. I see wrong doing at all ends here.

The harshest penalty received so far is Gregg Williams, suspended indefinitely. Then Sean Payton and Jonathan Vilma got equally harsh year-long suspensions. I don't see how the coaches didn't get the harsher penalties. If you line them all up, they did.

"On a side note, considering QB Drew Brees is in the middle contract negotiations himself, probably his last contract with big money in it, he needs to shut the bleep up. You are the face of the Saints Brees. Show more dignity & decorum than that please."

I need to clarify my Drew Brees statement. I respect Brees immensely as a fantastic leader on & off the field. I also understand his desire to have the back of his fellow team mates too. Yes, you can go on the David Letterman Show, but all you say in reference to Bountygate is this: "I respect all my team mates. I know the high moral character of my team mates & I believe due process will work itself out in the end courtesy of the legal system & the court of public opinion as well. "

You don't slam the NFL Commissioner & the owners who pay your lucrative salary Drew Brees. "Never bite the hand that feeds you."

"On a side note, considering QB Drew Brees is in the middle contract negotiations himself, probably his last contract with big money in it, he needs to shut the bleep up. You are the face of the Saints Brees. Show more dignity & decorum than that please."

I need to clarify my Drew Brees statement. I respect Brees immensely as a fantastic leader on & off the field. I also understand his desire to have the back of his fellow team mates too. Yes, you can go on the David Letterman Show, but all you say in reference to Bountygate is this: "I respect all my team mates. I know the high moral character of my team mates & I believe due process will work itself out in the end courtesy of the legal system & the court of public opinion as well. "

You don't slam the NFL Commissioner & the owners who pay your lucrative salary Drew Brees. "Never bite the hand that feeds you."

Agreed. I liked and respected the guy despite his being an annoying adversary in both SD and NO, but my dislike for him is growing every time he opens his mouth.

I don't have a problem with anything Drew Brees has said. I think he's candid about the way he feels, and that's much different from the way most professional athletes are.

It's all about timing. Brees could cost himself some decent money if he's not careful. Nothing has been signed yet. Brees is a goodwill ambassador for the entire Bayou not just his team mates.

Don't let anything, ego or loyalty, jeopardize your cash flow or your family's financial security IMO.

It's always about the money & getting top dollar for your services IMO especially as an athlete with a limited shelf life & big pay day opportunities. Don't squander it.

You know how can i set here and feel sorry for someone whos made that kind of money.Guess what do the crime pay the time and shut up!If you hadnt squandered the money most of us only dream of making,you probably wouldnt be a crying little brat right now,Oh lets not forget who really pays your salary :hmm: Hmmmmmmmmmmm,oh yes its us The fans,dont forget it :hello: Oh yes pardon me for not :Cry:

It's all about timing. Brees could cost himself some decent money if he's not careful. Nothing has been signed yet. Brees is a goodwill ambassador for the entire Bayou not just his team mates.

Don't let anything, ego or loyalty, jeopardize your cash flow or your family's financial security IMO.

It's always about the money & getting top dollar for your services IMO especially as an athlete with a limited shelf life & big pay day opportunities. Don't squander it.

I haven't taken a scientifically accurate poll, but I would figure that the majority of NFL fans who are paying attention to Brees' contract situation understand his viewpoint, and agree with him. The franchise tag is one of the most unpopular aspects of NFL contract talks, one of the few areas where (I think) casual fans actually side with the player. To me, Brees is carrying the torch for his NFL compadres and setting a precedent for future tagged players. His legal win cleared up some ambiguous language in the CBA, and will affect contracts forever. I think he's playing his role well.

I do agree that the bounty situation is something he should tread lightly with, but I can't see anything he's said hurting his contract negotiations.

I haven't taken a scientifically accurate poll, but I would figure that the majority of NFL fans who are paying attention to Brees' contract situation understand his viewpoint, and agree with him. The franchise tag is one of the most unpopular aspects of NFL contract talks, one of the few areas where (I think) casual fans actually side with the player. To me, Brees is carrying the torch for his NFL compadres and setting a precedent for future tagged players. His legal win cleared up some ambiguous language in the CBA, and will affect contracts forever. I think he's playing his role well.

I do agree that the bounty situation is something he should tread lightly with, but I can't see anything he's said hurting his contract negotiations.

I can't argue with your cogent points Superman other than to say that the franchise tag used to be a sign of honor & respect among players that the front office really valued your superb play, community presence, & value to a specific organization over an extended period of years. Now, the franchise tag is frowned upon with groans of agony & disdain. Strange how the franchise tag has evolved perception wise over time in my estimation.