Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Smacks Down Pastabelli's Report Re: Luck/Marketing

From his twitter feed this morning...

As much as I respect my friend Lenny Pasquarelli;the"One Source"is completely wrong/We're close on #12 n final details unrelated 2 marketing
It's ludicrous 2say we thought#18 was overexposed;he did a great job of focusing on football n "Branding"incredibly positive Image4Franchise
Someone is being fed a big breaky of * this morning!

Was a second away from posting this as well. I never thought there was an issue there to begin with but its good to see that we have an owner that isn't afraid to blast media skeptics relatively quick. Luck will be signed before camp.

I hate to say I told you so but I'll do it anyway.

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

I don't see this as any different than when a team write's into a contract that a certain player can't play other sports in the offseason or can't ride a motorcycle. This is just another form of protecting your investment. On face value, it may seem like it's no big deal for a player to endorse whatever they want, but when you're making multi-million dollar investments into these players, then the team should have the right to oversee what the player is up to in his off time. With that said, im not sure I believe this is even truly an issue. Seems to me like Pasqerelli may be reaching for news where there is none. Probably will be a rebuttal from Irsay or the team soon.

Hey everyone new member here, been following Colts since the Faulk days. Became an even bigger fan in the Manning era but looking forward to a new start.

I thought it was very strange to see the report that the FO wanted to ok all of Lucks endorsements, so I came to the team site to see what was being said. Glad to see Irsay is clearing the air and I hope it was all bogus. Luck does not strike me as a kid that would make bad decisions regarding his marketing, nor does he seem like a guy that would be distracted by any endorsements. I live nowhere near Indy but intend on seeing a couple games at LOS this year. I sure hope I get to see them win!

Some may think this naive, but I will always trust what the organization says over any media source. In my opinion, through all the recent organizational changes Jim Irsay has been pretty forthcoming and sincere.

WOW!! I'm going to let you live in your dream world there. I know we all feel fortunate we got Luck...but your on another planet.

Of course he's going to say what he could say. He didn't have much choice now did he? Did anyone read the responses here yesterday?

Most were anti-Irsay. And it's not an easy position to explain in a simple soundbite. Peter Pasquerelli is one of THE top reporters in sports. Not just covering the NFL, but in all of sports. Could he be wrong? Sure. But he didn't make it up. Someone told him something. And Irsay was relatively mild in his response. He could have been much nastier. But he took the high road with P.P.

Either way, this WILL get worked out and it WILL get done. It's not even July yet. Hopefully the Colts ARE close to a deal. But you do remember Irsay said that before... several weeks ago.

to the op. . .man pastabelli LOL that made me laugh for awhile!

Its amazing how quickly people are quick to jump down Irsay's throat.

I don't care who the reporter is this souinds like a slow news week. I don't think that Irsay is a man who would try to limit endorsements unless like someone else has said they had off the field issues.

FYI just because someone has a source doesn't mean its credible. Heck my dog is a source for that matter. Seems like some people just have to find something wrong with everything about the FO and Managment ever since Peyton was let go. Funny thing is; that's what you should do. Let go because the past will drive you crazy.

I think the source for this stuff was XChange's "Len Pasquerrelli". And if memory serves me correctly, he was let go by ESPN because he had become a shill for agents and had begun trading articles spun to their perspective, for information.

Brian..... thanks for the catch.... and there's me with egg on my face! (I *hate* when that happens!)

Either way, I don't think it much matters.... Len Pasquerelli is a two-time winner of the best NFL writer as judged by other NFL writers. He's been covering the NFL for at least 25 years. That said, he also appears to be a world-class jerk. An internet search of him shows a number of stories pointing in that direction. Good writer. Not so great a human being.

Here's Len's Bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Pasquarelli

And, thanks again.... :slaphead: :facepalm:

.....You are the one dreaming if you think that Iowa is a planet. Or maybe you went to public school. ;)

I will apologize for finding your comment so funny. Clearly you have a short memory about all the things Irsay has said. Anyways its off subject so I will just let this go....however...if you live in Iowa you could be living on the farm from field of dreams so just be careful...to think Irsay is truthful about everything I think is a bit naive.

As well as Irsay confirming there is no major problem, it's also interesting to note none of the top 8 picks have been signed yet. No reason to panic :)

I don't think there is a major problem or a reason to panic and I agree this contract will get done pretty soon but taking Irsay at face value I don't think is really the best idea.

I will apologize for finding your comment so funny. Clearly you have a short memory about all the things Irsay has said. Anyways its off subject so I will just let this go....however...if you live in Iowa you could be living on the farm from field of dreams so just be careful...to think Irsay is truthful about everything I think is a bit naive.

...no hard feelings, I was just messing with you...you seemed ruffled hat I tend to trust Irsay. He said from the get go he wanted to draft Luck. He drafted Luck. He said from the get go he wanted to keep Manning, so Manning was kept OFF of IR throughout the season to see if he could play again. Before Manning was released Irsay stated that he wanted Manning to stay but the contract would need to be reworked. I don't think he was lying. It would have been crazy to keep Peyton as his contract was. ....While conflicting media reports were swirling about, I thought Irsay was very consistent in his position throughout a difficult and uncertain time. I honestly believe that the decision to release Manning was not made until the last few days Peyton was a Colt, after the two of them talked long and hard, and came to a mutual decision....

Hey everyone new member here, been following Colts since the Faulk days. Became an even bigger fan in the Manning era but looking forward to a new start.

I thought it was very strange to see the report that the FO wanted to ok all of Lucks endorsements, so I came to the team site to see what was being said. Glad to see Irsay is clearing the air and I hope it was all bogus. Luck does not strike me as a kid that would make bad decisions regarding his marketing, nor does he seem like a guy that would be distracted by any endorsements. I live nowhere near Indy but intend on seeing a couple games at LOS this year. I sure hope I get to see them win!

He does not have a great measure of credibility. As I said, he traded stories for access and that is why ESPN did not renew his contract.

Regardless, his "source" is unknown. What we do know is Irsay is on record saying the whole thing is bunk. Until someone is willing to go on the record and refute him, the story (on it's own merits) has to be taken with a grain of salt. Add in who the writer is and then we really have to throttle down.

Ummmm..... I'd like to see the source of "he traded stories for access and that's why he's no longer at ESPN".... I'd be most curious about that one.... Color me skeptical about this...

For all we know the “source with knowledge of the negotiations“ could very well be a janitor that was in the next room emptying the waste basket. I really don’t understand why a lot of people are so quick to believe that Irsay is lying. What purpose would it serve? If what the article says is the case he would only be setting himself up to be exposed as lying since the truth whatever it is Will come out eventually. Imo this is nothing more than a reporter with half of the facts that is putting the burden of truth on that mystical creature known as ‘Source’

Ummmm..... I'd like to see the source of "he traded stories for access and that's why he's no longer at ESPN"

Not sure why, this isn't some court of law. It was a pretty common accusation leading up to his departure. If I recall correctly, it was the upstart Florio at PFT that gave voice to what pretty much everyone could discern; that Pasquarelli wrote articles defending the players of specific agents. In return those agents fed information and breaking news about their players, contracts, injuries etc, etc. If you don't feel like there was a link between that and ESPN not bringing back their Senior NFL writer, cool.

As to Pasquarelli's credibility, we (Colts fans) have a a great example of his standards when he wrote in July 2011 that (again) unsourced people close to Mathis said he would never play another snap under his contract.

In response, Mathis immediately tweeted...

Haven't thought of scheming up a #PayMePlan yet for 3 reasons..(1)18 is up (2)87 needs his (3)free agents will b addressed b4 me

And...

I have every intention on doing my job once the NFL gives us our job back. I never been a locker room cancer &wont start now. #GoColtsDammit

Not sure why, this isn't some court of law. It was a pretty common accusation leading up to his departure. If I recall correctly, it was the upstart Florio at PFT that gave voice to what pretty much everyone could discern; that Pasquarelli wrote articles defending the players of specific agents. In return those agents fed information and breaking news about their players, contracts, injuries etc, etc. If you don't feel like there was a link between that and ESPN not bringing back their Senior NFL writer, cool.

As to Pasquarelli's credibility, we (Colts fans) have a a great example of his standards when he wrote in July 2011 that (again) unsourced people close to Mathis said he would never play another snap under his contract.

In response, Mathis immediately tweeted...

And...

So we are saying that Len has made up this story....completely out of thin air...I think that is pretty baseless. I am sure that he has talked to someone pretty close to the situation and asked what is holding things up. With the new cba it should be pretty cut and dry...small details about the pay out of the contract should be all that is holding this up...and some wording. They probably told him that is correct...and that one of the things is Luck's marketing contracts is probably one of those sticking points.

Now...does that mean Luck isn't going to get signed...HARDLY. We just cut one of the most marketable and highly touted qbs of all time for this kid...you think we aren't going to get him into camp on time??? Seriously...if you thought selling tickets was hard before imagine it if Luck was holding out! Luck has all the power here. He can hold out as long as he wants. Since the value of the contract is already predetermined the only way he can make money is marketing and how it gets paid out. He will/should get what he wants. For a franchise qb...someone we basically gave up a hall of famer for he is going to be vastly underpaid the next 3 years....and I would assume by year 4 we will be reworking his contract.

All I am saying is that I believe the story....it isn't a sensational story...nothing bad in it at all. I don't believe Irsay at all. He already knows he looks bad in the eyes of the public because of "running Peyton out of town"....now "too cheap to sign the next Peyton"...is how he could look. Better off just getting the kid signed.

Remember this is Jim Irsay....the same guy that says "Don't paint me in a bad light".....OOPS I mean Horseshoe! All my opinion.

That's simply not true. I have pointed out his bigger issues where credibility is concerned. If you do not want to take them at face value that is your decision but trying to ignore them is silly.

smh again, this is not a court of law. I understand people can be willfully ignorant but cmon. ;/

Nevermind.

Brian....

I am not being willfully ignorant, as you put it. I tried to point out that Florio was the only person I could find making this accusation. If you can show me a link that has someone else making it (not based on Florio's comment, fine) And I tried to point out that Florio's comment did not strike me as proven fact, more like Florio's opinion.

That's all.

If more negative can be found, I'm open to having my mind changed on that.

I tried to point out an example of how a story can appear wrong to a fan, but not be. I was trying to put that in the context of the Mathis story. I was just trying to offer some context. That's there's often more to a story than meets the eye.

That's all.

If you've got more, great. I'm open. Really.

MF

Pasquerelli has proven his lack of insight when it comes to Contracts and the Colts as well as his willingness to make something up whole cloth. If someone wants to give him some more thread...that is fine. But I've seen enough from this guy to know better.

Between the two, I roll with Irsay every day of the week and twice on Sunday. ;)

I've said my piece.