Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Smacks Down Pastabelli's Report Re: Luck/Marketing

Its June. How many 1st rounders have signed?

yes it is. So almost 2 months? and I'm pretty sure at least half of them are signed and I heard the other top picks contracts depend on the numbers on Lucks. My point was that Irsay comes out like every week and says their "close" to a deal.

yes it is. So almost 2 months? and I'm pretty sure at least half of them are signed and I heard the other top picks contracts depend on the numbers on Lucks. My point was that Irsay comes out like every week and says their "close" to a deal.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828f4621/article/contract-status-for-2012-nfl-draft-firstround-picks

18 of 32 first rounders signed already. I can't see how anyone's contract depends on Luck's numbers, as the numbers are determined by the CBA and the rookie cap. The highest pick signed is Luke Kuechly, and his deal is fully guaranteed through four years, with no offset language. I think picks 2-8 can safely demand no offset language (even though I don't understand why they should be able to double-dip, but the market is pretty clearly set), which has been called the only sticking point at this point.

I'm assuming that everyone else waiting to be signed has little issues that are unsettled, and the parties are negotiating them just like the Colts are negotiating with Luck. There's over a month left before camp starts, which has always been the only real deadline, regardless of what Irsay has said. I'd be shocked (and a little disturbed) if Luck isn't under contract before camp.

http://www.nfl.com/d...irstround-picks

18 of 32 first rounders signed already. I can't see how anyone's contract depends on Luck's numbers, as the numbers are determined by the CBA and the rookie cap. The highest pick signed is Luke Kuechly, and his deal is fully guaranteed through four years, with no offset language. I think picks 2-8 can safely demand no offset language (even though I don't understand why they should be able to double-dip, but the market is pretty clearly set), which has been called the only sticking point at this point.

I'm assuming that everyone else waiting to be signed has little issues that are unsettled, and the parties are negotiating them just like the Colts are negotiating with Luck. There's over a month left before camp starts, which has always been the only real deadline, regardless of what Irsay has said. I'd be shocked (and a little disturbed) if Luck isn't under contract before camp.

From Brad...

It's also worth noting that Pasquerelli's sources involving the Colts have seemingly been wrong in the past. Back on March 4th, he reported that despite news that talks between the Colts and then free-agent-to-be Robert Mathis had "Warmed Considerably", according to his sources, there hadn't been ANY negotiations, substantive or otherwise between the Colts and Mathis. The very next day...

Mathis signed a $36 Million dollar deal and Pasqurelli had egg on his face.

Good post. I just remember I heard on the NFL network something about the top 5 picks waiting on Luck's deal for some reason. Like I said my point was that it seems like Irsay keeps saying their close and it would just be nice to finally get it done. But your right theres still over a month until camp starts and Newton wasn't signed until july 29th last year so theres no need to panic right now

I don't think it's about numbers at all, for any of the top unsigned picks. Might be about the offsets, but that's probably a done deal in favor of the players also, based on the Kuechly contract and last year's Newton contract. I think the market is set in that regard.

It would be nice to get it done, but this is the first real offseason under the new CBA. The deadline is the end of July, and a lot of contracts get resolved right before the deadline. I think this is just the way these rookie deals will go from now on, even when there are no sticking points in the future.