Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown is an every down back

grmasterb

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting; if he's so high on Brown, the Moore signing is probably an indictment of Carter/Ballard.

Or that he can teach the backs the proper blocking assignments and intricate parts of the arians offense.

That said.....how many times are we going to believe 100% the coaches and teammates praising their guys?! I fully understand he may be speaking the truth but we should really just believe what our eyes tell us instead of everything that comes out of peoples mouths. Just like the Hughes things....great words from Grigson and yet reports have had nothing but negatives from his practices. Grigson isn't going to come out and say we can't cut the guy because he makes too much money. (cap penalty) I haven't heard one negative word about a player so far in camp...just glowing....and while it is nice to see staff supporting guys and teammates standing up..I am just waiting to see it in action.

Interesting; if he's so high on Brown, the Moore signing is probably an indictment of Carter/Ballard.

Ballard has yet to be seen in game action, so I can't imagine the coaching staff has developed any hard opinions on him yet. If Moore is seen as a third-down solution, then I would say that Carter is the one who should be nervous.

He can be an every down back according to the numbers of times he carried the ball his senior year, its just amatter of him hitting the hole when its open and their should be plenty open this year in 2008 he rushed for 367 times and gained 2083 yards that 5.7 yards per rush and had 18 rushing touchdowns so the talent is their, the holes just havent been

He can be an every down back according to the numbers of times he carried the ball his senior year, its just amatter of him hitting the hole when its open and their should be plenty open this year in 2008 he rushed for 367 times and gained 2083 yards that 5.7 yards per rush and had 18 rushing touchdowns so the talent is their, the holes just havent been

I agree with you. I think he has the potential to be an every down back; he can run the ball decently, can catch the ball, and has the potential to be a solid pass blocker. He just needs to get the playbook down and not be so apprehensive. He seemed a little hesitant at times last year and all throughout his career.

Sorry about this. You can call me the grammar police if you want but in the context you are using the word, the correct usage is "there." Not "their."

I agree with you. I think he has the potential to be an every down back; he can run the ball decently, can catch the ball, and has the potential to be a solid pass blocker. He just needs to get the playbook down and not be so apprehensive. He seemed a little hesitant at times last year and all throughout his career.

Sorry about this. You can call me the grammar police if you want but in the context you are using the word, the correct usage is "there." Not "their."

Thanks, once in a while I forget which one is which when typing lol

In the vaunted Big East conf against powerhouses Hofstra, Lousiville, South Florida and Temple.

So in the 3 years he was here playing in the same offense he had a hard time getting the play book down and being apprehensive, but now with a new system, new play book, and defenses more than likely keying in on the run, he will do well?

In the vaunted Big East conf against powerhouses Hofstra, Lousiville, South Florida and Temple.

True, but cant put all the blame on him for lack of a running game, the o linemen we have had playing werent maulers in the run game, Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday was actually our best run blocker last year those guys arent exactly good with opening up gaping holes so we brought in Satele, then we had Diem at Right Guard and Linkenbach at Right Tackle, those guys arent exactly great run blockers either

Thats because the O Line particularly our Guards couldn't get any push to open up holes

That's true. Our O-line didn't help him out much. Marshall Faulk and Gene Huey always say "speed through the hole, not speed to the hole". That philosophy dies when there is no hole to begin with haha

That's true. Our O-line didn't help him out much

Jeff Saturday was our best run blocker if you can believe that then I believe Linkenbach, but on many of those plays to the right end we have a Tight End to help block, I been watching the games over

So in the 3 years he was here playing in the same offense he had a hard time getting the play book down and being apprehensive, but now with a new system, new play book, and defenses more than likely keying in on the run, he will do well?

Yeah, because the new regime has put an emphasis on the O-line. Polian said multiple times that he was not great at scouting O-line talent, but Grigs is a former O-lineman, so he should be much better. And they have added many guys like Satele, Justice, and McGlynn. So with the new emphasis on offense, new coaching staff, and new talent, I think he will do better.

Jeff Saturday was our best run blocker if you can believe that

That's not a statement I disagree with.

Yeah, because the new regime has put an emphasis on the O-line. Polian said multiple times that he was not great at scouting O-line talent, but Grigs is a former O-lineman, so he should be much better. And they have added many guys like Satele, Justice, and McGlynn. So with the new emphasis on offense, new coaching staff, and new talent, I think he will do better.

Last year the Colts ran the ball up the middle (behind Saturday) more then any other lineman

True, but cant put all the blame on him for lack of a running game, the o linemen we have had playing werent maulers in the run game, Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday was actually our best run blocker last year those guys arent exactly good with opening up gaping holes so we brought in Satele, then we had Diem at Right Guard and Linkenbach at Right Tackle, those guys arent exactly great run blockers either

There are about 4 every down RB in the NFL. Brown isn't one of them.

I do think we will have a tremendous OL this year compared to years past, but Brown will not be the only one to reap those benefits. I don't think he'll do any better this year than in years past simply due to a heavily shared workload.

Awhile back there was a bold predictions thread. One of mine was that the Colts would have a top 5? Rushing attack in the NFL this year, but not a single 1k rusher.

I do think we will have a tremendous OL this year compared to years past, but Brown will not be the only one to reap those benefits. I don't think he'll do any better this year than in years past simply due to a heavily shared workload.

Awhile back there was a bold predictions thread. One of mine was that the Colts would have a top 5? Rushing attack in the NFL this year, but not a single 1k rusher.

who do you project our O Line to consist of, he can carry the workload though if the holes are open but they wont be open on the left side with Castonzo and Reitz

It seems like everyone has done a "tremendous" job in training camp so far according to Coach Pagano. We should go 16-0 for sure now. :sarcasm:

Sarcastic, but true. How can he judge Brown's blocking when no one is rushing him? At least not seriously since they're not wearing pads.

I would call that a feature back, not an every down back. A guy who gets 20+ touches a game, and who can pace the offense. Teams don't use backs like that too much anymore.

To me, an every down back is simply a guy who can play on every down, specifically on third down when he might be asked to pass block or catch passes. It doesn't mean he's going to be a workhorse and get 20+ touches, but that he doesn't have to be taken out situationally. Because he's improved his pass-blocking, I think that's true of him. We might have better options in short yardage.

Pagano's words:

He understands, especially on third down as far as protections go and all of those things. Nothing is going to be more important than protections.

He's not MJD or LaDanian Tomlinson, to be sure. But he's serviceable.

Last year the Colts ran the ball up the middle (behind Saturday) more then any other lineman

Saturday quietly had a pretty good year last year.

An every down back doesn't have to be elite. Just a guy who can get the job done on all 3 downs, so a guy who can run, catch, and pass block. Addai was never an elite RB, but he was an every down back. Brown has the potential to be the same. I don't think he will be as good a pass blocker as Addai, but I think he will be able to get the job done.

I am sensing management may be adding some RB talent in order for a possible trade with 'another team' for a CB. We now have Brown, Ballard, Carter, Evans, Karim, and now Mewelde Moore.

If this is not the case I agree with above statements that Carter may be the man out due to a lingering 'thumb' injury. Was this the reason he fumbled so much last year? Remember Grigson has watched countless hours of 'tape.' I am sure seeing fumbles and a 'hands' injury does not bode well. I like Carter....just may be the case?

Saturday quietly had a pretty good year last year.

An every down back doesn't have to be elite. Just a guy who can get the job done on all 3 downs, so a guy who can run, catch, and pass block. Addai was never an elite RB, but he was an every down back. Brown has the potential to be the same. I don't think he will be as good a pass blocker as Addai, but I think he will be able to get the job done.

I am sensing management may be adding some RB talent in order for a possible trade with 'another team' for a CB. We now have Brown, Ballard, Carter, Evans, Karim, and now Mewelde Moore.

If this is not the case I agree with above statements that Carter may be the man out due to a lingering 'thumb' injury. Was this the reason he fumbled so much last year? Remember Grigson has watched countless hours of 'tape.' I am sure seeing fumbles and a 'hands' injury does not bode well. I like Carter....just may be the case?

I had the exact same thought Brent. I've heard it said about Donald Brown so much it's like a broken record..."He has great upside & potential." I am tired of it. Like Gavin said, Brown needs to be more definitive & hit the hole with more consistency. Either shut up & prove it to me Brown or I will cut your caboose ASAP.

even reggie said it took him 3 years to learn peyton's offense

Brown is an every down back for sure, I personally think he's gonna be a play maker and scapegoat for Luck this season

1 question Smitto: How can Brown be a play maker & scapegoat at the same time? If he performs well, Brown won't be cut & that is contingent on the ability of the o-line to generate holes & running lanes & Brown's success in punching through those holes with speed, furry, & purpose.

Luck, on the other hand, is being measured against his predecessor Manning plain & simple.

1 question Smitto: How can Brown be a play maker & scapegoat at the same time? If he performs well, Brown won't be cut & that is contingent on the ability of the o-line to generate holes & running lanes & Brown's success in punching through those holes with speed, furry, & purpose.

Luck, on the other hand, is being measured against his predecessor Manning plain & simple.

He is NOT a great pass blocker......not even a good one.

I personally feel that Mewelde Moore was brought in to pass block, and the the 3rd down is his. I am worried about Carter in this equation as I stated above. Dallas Clark had a nagging injury nat effected his ability to hold onto the ball...feeling the same about Carter.

For all who think DB is an everyday back, he will be behind a line that will average 6'4 and 325 pounds...or more depending on the starters/injuries. I hope that his solid chance and new motivation from Pagano is the light he needs to reach the level we need. I will not give up on him!!!

Personly i want to get a real good look at Ballard,its possible we have something there.Here is a link worth reading.http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/6/1/3056980/colts-rookie-rb-vick-ballard-impressing-teammates-at-otas

Another reason I am thinking...a trade may be coming for a CB...just a hunch.