Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown is an every down back

grmasterb

[media=]

hes got power (not Jerome Bettis or Jamal Lewis type power), is shifty runs between the tackles well

Thanks for the link.... while one game isn't enough to form a full opinion on a runner, that's an impressive tape. And the thing that surprised me most was his receiving. He catches the ball very nicely and comfortably for a running back. Both as a receiver, and on the pitch as a running back. That spells possible 3rd down back.

He's not fast, and he's not sudden, but he runs hard (and I like that) and he doesn't shy away from contact. He doesn't look 219, so I don't know if he gained some weight after the season and prior to the Combine when he weighed-in. But he's comfortable running between the tackles. This kid can play. My only question is as a pass blocker. Coaches love that, and I didn't see anything. When they passed in these hi-lites, it was to Ballard.

Good looking kid.... good tape. And for a 5th round pick, that's very good value.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Brown has been lack of consistent opportunity. I posted an analysis a couple of months ago or so that showed that when given the opportunity (10 to 17 carries per game) his performance has been equal to or better than most of the NFL's elite backs, when compared to their games where they received only 10 to 17 carries per game.

I'm not saying the analysis shows that Brown is as good as the premiere backs, but what it showed was that even the game's premiere backs cannot usually put up very good numbers when they have 17 or less carries per game.

I think Brown definitely still has good potential, but no matter who the RB is for the Colts, I don't think anybody is going to put up pro bowl type numbers if they are not utilized as a near every down back getting more the 17 carries in a game.

The problem with Brown has been lack of consistent opportunity. I posted an analysis a couple of months ago or so that showed that when given the opportunity (10 to 17 carries per game) his performance has been equal to or better than most of the NFL's elite backs, when compared to their games where they received only 10 to 17 carries per game.

I'm not saying the analysis shows that Brown is as good as the premiere backs, but what it showed was that even the game's premiere backs cannot usually put up very good numbers when they have 17 or less carries per game.

I think Brown definitely still has good potential, but no matter who the RB is for the Colts, I don't think anybody is going to put up pro bowl type numbers if they are not utilized as a near every down back getting more the 17 carries in a game.

I don't think Brown will get 17 carries a game. I think it will be more in the 12-15 carry range, with another 3-4 catches per game. So maybe he'll average 17 touches, but I doubt 17 carries. Unless he shows early in the season that he can be a load carrying back.

You said it....'lack of consistent opportunity' ..

In Indy's sysetm..which was and will still be pass-heavy..

Brown does what he's asked to do and does it well..when blocking is there.....

If we use the fullback on early downs...Brown will do well..

If we dont ..with our questionable line...he'll be blocking a lot while we throw a lot

The Colts will not be a pass heavy offense...I think the team will be more balanced than its ever been. I think Donald Brown is solid...and I'm looking forward to seeing Ballard...I think he has what it takes to be that late round finds that teams have discovered as of late (Foster, Forte, Helu).

And another thing...the Colts have had good RB's for years....they just weren't utilized...don't forget Dominic Rhodes was the true MVP of the Super Bowl the year we won

Arians, as most knowledgeable NFL fans know loves a balanced 'smash mouth' attack. There will be games where Brown and Ballard (Carter) will run 17-25 times and there will be games where Andrew Luck throws 40 times.

I know we have gone back and forth on DB, but we all agree that this is a very smart young man. He can still learn how to block better...and the willingness to learn is half of the battle. Some players 'know it all!'

I know I have been critical of Brown's blocking in this thread. Superman has made great points with a great link, OldUncleMark has made great points as well as Jay, SW, and Lolly...and hopefuly me. (Others too!)

I am going to see if Coach Pagano can take this team and take the 'newbies' and motivate!!!! I am excited!

Donald Brown is a top two back in the league, he has the blocking abilities of Addai, the power of Brandon Jacobs, the shiftiness of Tomlinson, the speed of Chris Johnson, and the low center of gravity as Mojo. This was all in a dream I had by the way haha.