Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown is an every down back

grmasterb

brown has a lot of potential and while at uconn i thought he would be a top 15 pick. he has speed,size, and great pass blocker that luck will need during the season.

I can't understand what you are or have been seeing that the rest of the Coat fan base is not seeing

He does have big play potential once in a great while against bad teams, but thats about it my friend....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the exact same thought Brent. I've heard it said about Donald Brown so much it's like a broken record..."He has great upside & potential." I am tired of it. Like Gavin said, Brown needs to be more definitive & hit the hole with more consistency. Either shut up & prove it to me Brown or I will cut your caboose ASAP.

I personally would not just cut Donald Brown. I know he has value, and could be a part of a package trade for a CB. Many NFL analysts continue to say DB has value.

I feel that if he is not coming along in the new system, he may be interesting for the Cowboys, Bengal and a few other teams looking for an insurance back. I know we are still wanting a solid veteran corner. This may be a way out. My worry is Carter's hands. As Jay says maybe Pagano and Arians sees Ballard as a smasher like Jerome Bettis (Not close to Busses girth) that fits the smash mouth style. Just some random thoughts!

To me, an every down back is simply a guy who can play on every down, specifically on third down when he might be asked to pass block or catch passes. It doesn't mean he's going to be a workhorse and get 20+ touches, but that he doesn't have to be taken out situationally. Because he's improved his pass-blocking, I think that's true of him. We might have better options in short yardage.

Thank you. Someone who gets it. Pagano is not saying he is going to pound DB 20+ times a game. He is simply saying that he can play on all downs. Essentially that he does not have to be substituted for on 3rd down.

When will this die?

According to Pro Football Focus, he was the 4th most efficient pass blocking back in the league last year.

This is solely based on statistics Superman? I have only watched technique and I have to agree that while by statistic he may be OK....he flat out looks petrified when pass blocking. If you have the article I would like to read it to see Pr Football Focus's perspective. Do you have a link?

Brown's going to be alot better this year than people are expecting. I understand people are disappointed we used a 1st on him, but he's getting really underrated now. Cutting him is absolutely foolish.

Brown's been a bust? So far, yeah, he hasn't played up to his draft spot. But the fact is our entire running game's been a bust for years and it started up front and with our offensive philosophy. A lot of fans hated whoever the back was, called for the backup, and then when they couldn't get the job done, the process started all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat. After awhile that tells me maybe it's not the backs that were the problem.

I'm thrilled Pagano's giving everyone a clean slate and is focusing on building a legit NFL run game. If Brown can't do well this year, then I'll call him a bust. I think he's going to really surprise people this year.

Brown's going to be alot better this year than people are expecting. I understand people are disappointed we used a 1st on him, but he's getting really underrated now. Cutting him is absolutely foolish.

Brown's been a bust? So far, yeah, he hasn't played up to his draft spot. But the fact is our entire running game's been a bust for years and it started up front and with our offensive philosophy. A lot of fans hated whoever the back was, called for the backup, and then when they couldn't get the job done, the process started all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat. After awhile that tells me maybe it's not the backs that were the problem.

I'm thrilled Pagano's giving everyone a clean slate and is focusing on building a legit NFL run game. If Brown can't do well this year, then I'll call him a bust. I think he's going to really surprise people this year.

If he plays his whole career in Indy/....Brown will always be a running back on a passing team.

...you dont ever hear him demanding more carries....he doenst get drunk and jump in the downtown fountain..

..and he has not lost a fumble in his career...

Brown's TD runs helped win the two biggest Colts games of the last 2 seasons.....right?

I'm glad Pagano is down with Brown....because all he needs is a little LUCK...

..and you will see 1,000 yards rushing.....

"he looks flat out petrified"

Seriously? Really?

We've got to get over wheree he was drafted and the time she mised a block..

Donald Brown was the best skill player we had on offense at the end of the year.

I am giving him a chance, Unk. There is a difference between attacking a block and back-pedaling/ trending backwards. Blocking as you know is a skill, and is not easy when 'monsters' are coming at you. A small running back cannot be on their heals....they have to use the legs and push or be in the backfield like Link was quite a bit last year...as a lineman. Edited by BrentMc11

I am giving him a chance, Unk. There is a difference between attacking a block and back-pedaling/ trending backwards. Blocking as you know is a skill, and is not easy when 'monsters' are coming at you. A small running back cannot be on their heals....they have to use the legs and push or be in the backfield like Link was quite a bit last year...as a lineman.

I think the standards he is being judged by are based on where he was drafted..and comparisons are made to other players drafted as high.

..,.,I think that's wrong.

The Colts are not a team that's going to give the running back the ball 20 times...His numbers last year were fine...and they'll get better.

I've seen him miss blocks and I'v e seen him make several nice blocking efforts in succession...

Brown is at the disadvatage of playing for a team the oppostion knows is going to throw even in good times and we trailed maybe 75% of the time last year....

I tape the games and watch them Like I'm sure you do.

Donald Brown makes considerably more blocks than he misses in a pass-happy attack...

I saw improvement in all areas from him once he got on the field last year and I think you'll see more this fall.

I think the standards he is being judged by are based on where he was drafted..and comparisons are made to other players drafted as high.

..,.,I think that's wrong.

The Colts are not a team that's going to give the running back the ball 20 times...His numbers last year were fine...and they'll get better.

I've seen him miss blocks and I'v e seen him make several nice blocking efforts in succession...

Brown is at the disadvatage of playing for a team the oppostion knows is going to throw even in good times and we trailed maybe 75% of the time last year....

I tape the games and watch them Like I'm sure you do.

Donald Brown makes considerably more blocks than he misses in a pass-happy attack...

I saw improvement in all areas from him once he got on the field last year and I think you'll see more this fall.

I hope he does improve as he did. I am worried about injuries in blocking schemes....I hope he does not end up another injury prone back.

I hope he does improve as he did. I am worried about injuries in blocking schemes....I hope he does not end up another injury prone back.

My only concern was why Brown didnt play at the start of last season and why Coach Caldwell rarely started him....

...even when it was clear Joe Addai was not 100%...and that Brown was rolling (the final 3rd of last year)

I always thought something was going on behind the scenes that was left unsaid.

Not that it matters now..(all new coaches) ..but any ideas...?

This is solely based on statistics Superman? I have only watched technique and I have to agree that while by statistic he may be OK....he flat out looks petrified when pass blocking. If you have the article I would like to read it to see Pr Football Focus's perspective. Do you have a link?

My bad, 5th ranked.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

I don't think it matters how he looks to you when he's pass blocking. If he's petrified, maybe that helps him do his job better, because he did a fine job blocking last season. Better than Ray Rice, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams... all these every down and third down backs, and Donald Brown was better than them at pass blocking last season.

I personally would not just cut Donald Brown. I know he has value, and could be a part of a package trade for a CB. Many NFL analysts continue to say DB has value.

I feel that if he is not coming along in the new system, he may be interesting for the Cowboys, Bengal and a few other teams looking for an insurance back. I know we are still wanting a solid veteran corner. This may be a way out. My worry is Carter's hands. As Jay says maybe Pagano and Arians sees Ballard as a smasher like Jerome Bettis (Not close to Busses girth) that fits the smash mouth style. Just some random thoughts!

RB are either scat backs or short yardage grinders, intimidators, or enforcers. Brown has to learn to find the creese, hit the whole, & run toward the daylight. It's time Donald. NOW!!! You get 1 more year after that without any significant strides you are gone IMO. Jay is exactly right Ballard is a thumper no question. Carter's hands can be fixed with Tiki Barber's "high & tight" ball carrying technique in my estimation.

My bad, 5th ranked.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

I don't think it matters how he looks to you when he's pass blocking. If he's petrified, maybe that helps him do his job better, because he did a fine job blocking last season. Better than Ray Rice, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams... all these every down and third down backs, and Donald Brown was better than them at pass blocking last season.

Do not think I am not for him to succeed....thanks for the link....I will read it. Not arguing....I am a technique guy.... improvement in that area is crucial to avoid knee, shoulder, and head/concussion injuries IMO. Thanks again....

Not you, but some refuse to separate Donald Brown from his draft status. It's not his fault we drafted him instead of Hakeem Nicks or James Laurinitis or Ziggy Hood (all of which would have been better picks for us). He was not a good draft pick, but that's really not relevant to the player that he is.

Despite evidence to the contrary, some continue to insist that Donald Brown is a bad pass blocker, and it's mostly based on one clip where Manning appeared to be upset with him for missing an assignment. Some even insist that the people who have broken down the film and charted his blocking are "wrong," because it's impossible for him to be a good pass blocker. If the coach says he can play every down, the coach is wrong, despite the fact that he's broken down Brown's game film, watched him in practice and broken down that film, and so on. But if Coach thinks Donald Brown can be effective on every down, he's wrong, because Manning got mad at Brown for missing a block, and Polian shouldn't have drafted him.

I don't have an agenda in this. I want him to be as good as player as he can be, because it helps the team. But if he really was a problem pass blocking, I'd be the first to admit it. But the numbers clearly indicate otherwise, and the numbers are based on the film.

Not you, but some refuse to separate Donald Brown from his draft status. It's not his fault we drafted him instead of Hakeem Nicks or James Laurinitis or Ziggy Hood (all of which would have been better picks for us). He was not a good draft pick, but that's really not relevant to the player that he is.

Despite evidence to the contrary, some continue to insist that Donald Brown is a bad pass blocker, and it's mostly based on one clip where Manning appeared to be upset with him for missing an assignment. Some even insist that the people who have broken down the film and charted his blocking are "wrong," because it's impossible for him to be a good pass blocker. If the coach says he can play every down, the coach is wrong, despite the fact that he's broken down Brown's game film, watched him in practice and broken down that film, and so on. But if Coach thinks Donald Brown can be effective on every down, he's wrong, because Manning got mad at Brown for missing a block, and Polian shouldn't have drafted him.

I don't have an agenda in this. I want him to be as good as player as he can be, because it helps the team. But if he really was a problem pass blocking, I'd be the first to admit it. But the numbers clearly indicate otherwise, and the numbers are based on the film.

I believe he can be an every down back, he isnt Joseph Addai when it comes to pass blocking I dont think but hes good enough for sure. But as far as his draft status, Polian had a problem it seems with reaching numerous times, Donald can run between the tackles and can take the pounding as evidenced by his 367 carries his senior year (yes its college but still 367 carries many of which were between the tackles is still 367 carries) but continuing with the draft pick thing, its not fair to Donald he was picked 27th in the 1st round but unfortunately when you have 18 touchdowns and over 2000 yards rushing your senior year, your chances go way up that you will be drafted that high or even higher, now we simply havent had the offensive line for him to run behind but it appears that we do now, hes got the speed and just enough power (clearly not Bettis or Jamal Lewis type power).What I think will really happen is it will be running back by committee but if its primarily Brown then the time is now for him to produce. I will say I believe he will have an awful time trying to run behind our left side (Castonzo and Reitz), in my opinion they just dont have the leg strength and Reitz certainly doesnt look to have that nasty streak you need in a Guard

I believe he can be an every down back, he isnt Joseph Addai when it comes to pass blocking I dont think but hes good enough for sure. But as far as his draft status, Polian had a problem it seems with reaching numerous times, Donald can run between the tackles and can take the pounding as evidenced by his 367 carries his senior year (yes its college but still 367 carries many of which were between the tackles is still 367 carries) but continuing with the draft pick thing, its not fair to Donald he was picked 27th in the 1st round but unfortunately when you have 18 touchdowns and over 2000 yards rushing your senior year, your chances go way up that you will be drafted that high or even higher, now we simply havent had the offensive line for him to run behind but it appears that we do now, hes got the speed and just enough power (clearly not Bettis or Jamal Lewis type power).What I think will really happen is it will be running back by committee but if its primarily Brown then the time is now for him to produce. I will say I believe he will have an awful time trying to run behind our left side (Castonzo and Reitz), in my opinion they just dont have the leg strength and Reitz certainly doesnt look to have that nasty streak you need in a Guard

A few observations

1) Punctuation is your friend

2) Aren't the highlighted statements complete contradictions?

A few observations

1) Punctuation is your friend

2) Aren't the highlighted statements complete contradictions?

1 I agree I got a little carried away with my thought rather then worried about punctuation, my bad on that

2. not exactly because if we do in fact have Reitz and Castonzo on our left side we in all likelihood wont be able to run the ball behind them, we couldn't last year but we should be able to run real good behind Satele, Mcglynn and Justice, we made improvements in our O Line as far as being able to be more physical and bigger but as I said Reitz and Castonzo are the same, they arent physical mauling type linemen

RB are either scat backs or short yardage grinders, intimidators, or enforcers. Brown has to learn to find the creese, hit the whole, & run toward the daylight. It's time Donald. NOW!!! You get 1 more year after that without any significant strides you are gone IMO. Jay is exactly right Ballard is a thumper no question. Carter's hands can be fixed with Tiki Barber's "high & tight" ball carrying technique in my estimation.

Dallas Clark's hand/wrist was not ready or he would be signed....Carter was a beast....then a drop-a-holic. I think Moore was brought in for many reasons....returns, pass blocking....trade!! We need to play this out.

1 I agree I got a little carried away with my thought rather then worried about punctuation, my bad on that

2. not exactly because if we do in fact have Reitz and Castonzo on our left side we in all likelihood wont be able to run the ball behind them, we couldn't last year but we should be able to run real good behind Satele, Mcglynn and Justice, we made improvements in our O Line as far as being able to be more physical and bigger but as I said Reitz and Castonzo are the same, they arent physical mauling type linemen

So saying that he should now have a line to run behind and then following up by saying he will struggle running behind Reitz & Castanzo is not a contradiction? Interesting.

first time he has been completely 100% wrong as the Coats head coach

This mindset could be the revelation of thing to come, not a good sign......

If you're going to decide here in June that because you don't agree with the coaches comment, that this is a revelation of things to come and it's not a good sign.... fine. That's your right.

But know this.......

Every coach, in the history of modern American team sports -- not just football -- but baseball and basketball too, has made comments just like that.

And if they happen to be wrong, that's not -- in and of itself -- proof of anything.

First, no coach is right 100% of the time. And that includes every coach in every Hall of Fame.

Second, sometimes you say it to talk the guy up, and let him know you're in his corner. If he delivers -- great. If he doesn't, then nothing lost. Maybe he's not 100%. Maybe he's the right guy in the wrong system. Could be lots of reasons for not delivering on promise.

Try not to over-read things into comments made in the off-season. They mean little right now. Comments made during the season and at the end of the season mean so much more.

Just something to consider.....

So saying that he should now have a line to run behind and then following up by saying he will struggle running behind Reitz & Castanzo is not a contradiction? Interesting.

Ill break it down

1.we brought in a physical nasty run blocking Center (Satele)

2.we brought in two other bigger linemen who are physical (Justice and Mcglynn)

3, our left side is still the same (Castonzo and Reitz)

add that all up and you got three linemen who we should be able to run behind and two linemen (Castonzo and Reitz) who we simply couldn't run behind, heck we could run behind Linkenbach much better then we could Reitz and Castonzo,

Ill break it down

1.we brought in a physical nasty run blocking Center (Satele)

2.we brought in two other bigger linemen who are physical (Justice and Mcglynn)

3, our left side is still the same (Castonzo and Reitz)

add that all up and you got three linemen who we should be able to run behind and two linemen (Castonzo and Reitz) who we simply couldn't run behind, heck we could run behind Linkenbach much better then we could Reitz and Castonzo,

I am hoping Reitz and Castonzo will improve this year with some experience and working together. And you can do some creative things with pulling guards and tight ends in motion to getting better blocking matchups to help the left side. If the o-line gels and we we have a reasonable running game I will be happy. And I think DB (or Addai if he was still here) could be effective with a little bit of room to run. I do think this is an area where a little bit of improvement in the blocking can make a big difference in the running game. And a reasonable improvement in the running game can have a huge impact on the offense and the play calling. Love the play action pass and you need a few decent runs to get that going.

I am hoping Reitz and Castonzo will improve this year with some experience and working together. And you can do some creative things with pulling guards and tight ends in motion to getting better blocking matchups to help the left side. If the o-line gels and we we have a reasonable running game I will be happy. And I think DB (or Addai if he was still here) could be effective with a little bit of room to run. I do think this is an area where a little bit of improvement in the blocking can make a big difference in the running game. And a reasonable improvement in the running game can have a huge impact on the offense and the play calling. Love the play action pass and you need a few decent runs to get that going.

we were best when pulling our Tight Ends and Guards, Diem was decent in run blocking. we werent that good when trying to maul people for yards though, we could be very dangerous with the play action if we could run much better

TKnight85,

I like your Donald Brown highlight video, but Brown reminds me of Reggie Bush who until last year with the Dolphins failed to consistently run between the tackles. Brown has speed & he prefers to run outside. He ran threw some huge holes there in the video.

Show me Donald that you can grind out tough yards between the tackles. That's what I wanna see; that's what I need to see more often. Size on the line will aid in better penetration IMO though.

TKnight85,

I like your Donald Brown highlight video, but Brown reminds me of Reggie Bush who until last year with the Dolphins failed to consistently run between the tackles. Brown has speed & he prefers to run outside. He ran threw some huge holes there in the video.

Show me Donald that you can grind out tough yards between the tackles. That's what I wanna see; that's what I need to see more often. Size on the line will aid in better penetration IMO though.

Word from film watchers is that Vick Ballard is a solid between-the-tackles runner. I look forward to seeing him carry the ball in the preseason.

:lol: I show Brown and Gavin shows Ballard. For further highlights from these two RB's visit www.colts.com/TKnight85&Gavin we'll be more than happy to post more

Hey I got more highlights where that came from, Im multi talented dont ya know :lol:

We must not be talking about donald brown for the indianapolis colts. Cause that brown IS a every down back. don't believe me? here's almost 3 minutes of proof [media=]

Thanks for the Brown video. I had not seen tape of him before. Probably not since draft day. And while he doesn't look like he has the build of a guy who will carry the rock 20 times a game, that guy can be on my team. He reads his blockers well, sets them up nicely, he's got acceleration, and can cut, and make tacklers miss and he's fast and quick and light on his feet. He can have an impact even if he's not getting 20 touches a game. Used properly, he make an impact. I've got to believe Pagano and Grigson and Arians think so too.

And Ballard looks to be a find as well... I liked his tape very much also...