Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 3 WRs in OTAs in 3 WR formations were primarily...

chad72

Avery, Wayne and Collie.

Wayne and Collie impressed along with Allen, according to this.

Fingers crossed with Avery's health.

Yea that's what Avery had said in an article last week that it was alot of 3 to 4 receivers sets that's why he chose the Colts over 3 other teams

What's weird about chemistry and talent is that despite some of these nice camp performances, who really knows who's going to mesh well with Luck? Obviously I'm pulling for him and Wayne to make the deadliest combo, but I'd love to see him and one of the new Rookie receivers have some great chemistry, but despite my high hopes for them I still can't see them transitioning into a No. 1 WR.

What's weird about chemistry and talent is that despite some of these nice camp performances, who really knows who's going to mesh well with Luck? Obviously I'm pulling for him and Wayne to make the deadliest combo, but I'd love to see him and one of the new Rookie receivers have some great chemistry, but despite my high hopes for them I still can't see them transitioning into a No. 1 WR.

The fastest Chemistry will be Luck to Fleener (For obvious reasons). Wayne being the Veteran, will have his Chemistry. If Avery & Collie stay Healthy, no question Luck will become Cool with them. Luck didn't have anywhere near as much Talent at WR at Stanford. With all the Talent we have at WR, Luck will LOVE it. He'll still love his TE's, but now he has WR's. May take him awhile to Adjust, but he'll get it

How's Fleener coming along?

I'm sure Fleener is still performing as well as he was in Stanford, if not Better. But I wish they would give more In-Depth stories & reports on our players. Hopefully, this will happen when Mini-Camp starts on the 12th. I too would like to know how EVERYONE is doing. Especially knowing about the CB Competition for #2 CB & Nickel CB

The fastest Chemistry will be Luck to Fleener (For obvious reasons). Wayne being the Veteran, will have his Chemistry. If Avery & Collie stay Healthy, no question Luck will become Cool with them. Luck didn't have anywhere near as much Talent at WR at Stanford. With all the Talent we have at WR, Luck will LOVE it. He'll still love his TE's, but now he has WR's. May take him awhile to Adjust, but he'll get it

I agree with you except I want to be realistic. We have ONE proven WR, one decent veteran and a bunch of guys who have a lot to prove. Yes, more talent than he had in college, but probably less (proven) talent than most NFL teams.

I agree with you except I want to be realistic. We have ONE proven WR, one decent veteran and a bunch of guys who have a lot to prove. Yes, more talent than he had in college, but probably less (proven) talent than most NFL teams.

You don't think Collie is Proven? No one can Deny that Collie was Dominating until those 2 Bad Decisions by Peyton to throw it & cause him 2 Concussions. I believe Collie is Proven. Now, do people think he's Injury Prone? Sure, they can believe that after suffering 2 Concussions. But all he has to "Prove" this year is that he can play two consecutive 16 game Seasons. He played all 16 last year, lets hope he can do it again

You don't think Collie is Proven? No one can Deny that Collie was Dominating until those 2 Bad Decisions by Peyton to throw it & cause him 2 Concussions. I believe Collie is Proven. Now, do people think he's Injury Prone? Sure, they can believe that after suffering 2 Concussions. But all he has to "Prove" this year is that he can play two consecutive 16 game Seasons. He played all 16 last year, lets hope he can do it again

He's decent, not in Reggie's category though. Peyton was able to get him isolated and found him when he had single coverage. Last year, with horrible QB play, Reggie still had a decent year. Collie was average at best.

My point is that we're NOT surrounding Luck with great talent at WR. One great one, one average one and a bunch that have to prove they're good (including Avery). Just trying to be realistic.

He's decent, not in Reggie's category though. Peyton was able to get him isolated and found him when he had single coverage. Last year, with horrible QB play, Reggie still had a decent year. Collie was average at best.

My point is that we're NOT surrounding Luck with great talent at WR. One great one, one average one and a bunch that have to prove they're good (including Avery). Just trying to be realistic.

Collie hasnt been in the League for 5 years. How can you expect him to be in Reggie's Category? No One in Colts History will ever replace Wayne or Harrison. Not saying they won't be Good but no matter how Good you are.... #88 & #87 will always be the Top 2

Collie hasnt been in the League for 5 years. How can you expect him to be in Reggie's Category? No One in Colts History will ever replace Wayne or Harrison. Not saying they won't be Good but no matter how Good you are.... #88 & #87 will always be the Top 2

You're missing the point, you said we have a lot of talent at WR. I'm pointing out that we don't. Again, just trying to be realistic.

You're missing the point, you said we have a lot of talent at WR. I'm pointing out that we don't. Again, just trying to be realistic.

You also said we had one proven wr I think he's also pointing out collie is also proven even if he's not as good as Wayne. I think in theory we have talent at wr after the draft but you are right now they have to prove that theory to be true.

You also said we had one proven wr I think he's also pointing out collie is also proven even if he's not as good as Wayne. I think in theory we have talent at wr after the draft but you are right now they have to prove that theory to be true.

Collie is proven in that he can play as a good slot receiver. But he's not a proven star by any means. Hence, my disagreement that we're surrounding Luck with talent at WR.

I agree that we have a lot of potential. But you could say the same thing about every rookie WR on every team.

Collie is proven in that he can play as a good slot receiver. But he's not a proven star by any means. Hence, my disagreement that we're surrounding Luck with talent at WR.

I agree that we have a lot of potential. But you could say the same thing about every rookie WR on every team.

He's still a proven player. You don't have to be a star to be a proven player. Like I've said before there is a level between camp body and super star. Collie is on that middle level. With that said I think they have put guys around Luck that could be the talent now it's just up to those guys to prove they are the talent he needs and it's up to Luck to live up to the hype for that matter. It's not like the Colts have ignored it. They re-sgined Wayne, signed Avery, drafted two tightends and two WRs and went out signed some undrafted guys. Clearly the Colts are trying to put talent around Luck.

Hilton is injured and Brazill is at school, I'd not be shocked at all to see a lot of Hilton this year. Avery and Collie will probably go down injured at some point.

More reason to groom both our TE draft picks on the receiving end, IMO to maximize our 2 TE sets.

Hilton is injured and Brazill is at school, I'd not be shocked at all to see a lot of Hilton this year. Avery anEd Collie will probably go down injured at some point.

I know the local experts seem to think hilton will mostly be a return guy. They do seem high on Brazil though a lot of the local media folks think he will be the steal of the draft.

As for collie he didn't get hurt his rookie year or last year. It could be 2010 was just an injury filled year and he will be fine. Clark had the same issue in 2007 and it hasn't been an issue since. I know Clark was big on saying once you really need the off season to recover from that. Knock on wood collies concussions issues are behind him. His thumb I think it was that he also had that year was just one of those football things no one plays a full career without having something happen. I am not too worried a out collies health.

I think we do have a lot of talent at wide receiver. I agree with you that it's not "proven," but the potential is there.

I think we do have a lot of talent at wide receiver. I agree with you that it's not "proven," but the potential is there.

Yeah, we're probably in the semantics area now. Obviously, anyone who even gets a tryout with an NFL team has talent. Any drafted or FA rookie WR has talent. The Jags thought they had talent when they drafted two WRs in the first round two years in a row. So did the Browns. Those guys had talent, but they did nothing in the NFL.

That's why I'm saying we're not surrounding Luck with talent at WR. At this point all we know is Reggie is a star, Collie is decent. and Avery was good a couple years ago. The rest may turn out to be good, or they may turn out to be Matt Jones. All we know is that they have no NFL experience.

To me, that's not exactly surrounding a guy with talent. Just MHO.

Yeah, we're probably in the semantics area now. Obviously, anyone who even gets a tryout with an NFL team has talent. Any drafted or FA rookie WR has talent. The Jags thought they had talent when they drafted two WRs in the first round two years in a row. So did the Browns. Those guys had talent, but they did nothing in the NFL.

That's why I'm saying we're not surrounding Luck with talent at WR. At this point all we know is Reggie is a star, Collie is decent. and Avery was good a couple years ago. The rest may turn out to be good, or they may turn out to be Matt Jones. All we know is that they have no NFL experience.

To me, that's not exactly surrounding a guy with talent. Just MHO.

Fair enough. Just wonder what would qualify as adding talent at this point. I like the players we've brought in, and their potential. Might not pan out, but it's not a bare pantry by any means.

Fair enough. Just wonder what would qualify as adding talent at this point. I like the players we've brought in, and their potential. Might not pan out, but it's not a bare pantry by any means.

Again, it's the difference between expectations and actuals. I'd bet that fans from every team in the league think their mid/late round draft picks and UDFA's are going to be stars. Chances are that's not going to happen.

Personally, I think the pantry is about as bare as you can get when it comes to WRs, for all the reasons I've been stating. Once the preseason starts and Avery shows he can play I'll feel better. Then at least we'll have three guys with real NFL experience. If he's still not back from the injury, I really hope we can add another vet.

Again, it's the difference between expectations and actuals. I'd bet that fans from every team in the league think their mid/late round draft picks and UDFA's are going to be stars. Chances are that's not going to happen.

Personally, I think the pantry is about as bare as you can get when it comes to WRs, for all the reasons I've been stating. Once the preseason starts and Avery shows he can play I'll feel better. Then at least we'll have three guys with real NFL experience. If he's still not back from the injury, I really hope we can add another vet.

Yeah, I'm optimistic about our receivers, for several reasons. Doesn't seem that you are, or at least your optimism is severely tempered in comparison with mine. I like what we have at receiver. Like I said earlier, I'd like to add a big time playmaker who can be a #1 receiver, and I figure we'll look to do that in the draft next year. But for right now, I think our receiver corps has plenty of talent and we'll be okay rolling with what we have into next season.

There's also the tight ends, rookies as well, but I think today's NFL makes it easy for receivers and tight ends who were productive in college to do the same in the NFL. I don't think we'll have Pro Bowlers all over the place, but we have speed, we have sure-handed catchers, we have technicians, and we have a veteran presence. I'm less worried about our receivers than I am any other position on the team, outside of punter.

Yeah, I'm optimistic about our receivers, for several reasons. Doesn't seem that you are, or at least your optimism is severely tempered in comparison with mine. I like what we have at receiver. Like I said earlier, I'd like to add a big time playmaker who can be a #1 receiver, and I figure we'll look to do that in the draft next year. But for right now, I think our receiver corps has plenty of talent and we'll be okay rolling with what we have into next season.

There's also the tight ends, rookies as well, but I think today's NFL makes it easy for receivers and tight ends who were productive in college to do the same in the NFL. I don't think we'll have Pro Bowlers all over the place, but we have speed, we have sure-handed catchers, we have technicians, and we have a veteran presence. I'm less worried about our receivers than I am any other position on the team, outside of punter.

I'm optimistic about our rookies but I don't expect much of an impact from them this season. I did a quick check and there were something like 7 rookie WRs in the entire league that had more than 500 yards, and one that had 1000. Not to mention that those guys were pretty high draft picks.

I totally agree that we're all in on TE's this season and relying on Reggie and Austin to give Luck his veteran support on the outside. I'll be watching college ball particularly paying attention to WRs this year, but I kind of think we'll be going D a lot in the 13 draft.

Let's continue this discussion after a few preseason games when we can see what we have. I hope you're saying "I told you so!", and I hope I'm agreeing you're right.

I'm optimistic about our rookies but I don't expect much of an impact from them this season. I did a quick check and there were something like 7 rookie WRs in the entire league that had more than 500 yards, and one that had 1000. Not to mention that those guys were pretty high draft picks.

I totally agree that we're all in on TE's this season and relying on Reggie and Austin to give Luck his veteran support on the outside. I'll be watching college ball particularly paying attention to WRs this year, but I kind of think we'll be going D a lot in the 13 draft.

Let's continue this discussion after a few preseason games when we can see what we have. I hope you're saying "I told you so!", and I hope I'm agreeing you're right.

It's funny, but I agree with both of you. As a fan, it's very easy to get excited about new players' potential, but as of right now, that's all it is. I've already got Josh Chapman penciled in as our Nose Tackle anchor for the next 10 years, but he could end up never even getting healthy enough to see the field.....who knows?

But I am optimistic about the future at WR. By the looks of things, we're gonna have some burners to stretch the field, and a couple sure-handed, savvy veterans to help out the new QB......not to mention Fleener/Allen for the Double Tight set that I figure to be our base offense.

I agree.

Again, people look at this situation and think Manning could light it up with these receivers... and he could... so, they believe Luck will as well. Not so fast. Luck is a great talent and has the potential to be a winning QB in this league, but until he proves otherwise, he's not Peyton Manning. Not many people are.

I 100% agree with you. We all have to realize Reggie is not the same young cat as he once was too. I think he will have a solid season again but he is at that age that many many many WRs just start falling off. Reggie runs good precise routes but has never had great separation. Hopefully he will build that chemistry with Luck but I don't expect something crazy. I fully expect something similar to last year. Especially without Garcon on the opposite side drawing attention. I think that will be a big loss for our receivers. We clearly are not as good at WR this year as last year and I think that is what alot of people feel. A lot of guys have to step up and play better. Garcon was by far our best WR last year and losing him was a big loss. He drew a lot of attention from saftey's and now we don't have anyone to do that.

I think our TEs will be a big focus and those short throws because of our OL situation. That said we have great potential in all those young players but to expect them all to be consistent contributors all season I think will be asking too much. I think we will see flashes of brillance with stretches of drought.

I will also be looking at WRs. It always depends on how things fall but I fully expect our number 1a priority to be WR in this coming draft, with 1b being an pass rushing OLB. While I agree full heartedly we look at defense WR I think will be a priority early. The rest will be OL and Defense. The offense was pretty well addressed with a solid running back, decent WR depth with some interesting talents, and a huge TE draft with my emphasis on Allen. I think outside Luck of course he (Allen) will be our rookie of the year/offseason acquisition of the year.

Its just words... But its hard to say that Austin Collie is not a prove WR...and Avery has started before.he was hurt.

WR isnt the unknown..

Its the QB throwing to him...

If Luck finds the pro game isnt too much for him...all the receivers and TEs will be very productive

..and we wont average 14 points a game like we did last year

I'll say it agian...we are STILL going to throw the ball 30-40 times a game

I know everyone wants to believe we'll rely on our TEs but let's face it, Austin isn't going to draw double coverage, and we can't have two TEs out on every play or Luck will get killed. So that other WR has to be a real threat.

Avery caught a handful of passes last year, Hilton is a rookie, and both may still have injury issues for all we know.

I'd like to believe everything is going to work out, Avery is healthy, and our rookies catch on in record time. But until I see some proof in the preseason, I'll keep my optimism tempered.

Throw 30-40 times a game? Wow, that's bold.

Reggie and Garcon had decent years because the QB's couldnt read a defense and didnt have the football IQ's to find mismatches. It is alot easier for a QB to lock in on one reciever and let them carry them. But, that doesnt win games. The two outside recievers are the easiest ones to throw to. They are usually matched up in space with more room to make quick cuts. The slots and TE's have to catch the ball in traffic. Therefore, the QB's have to be precise. Lets hope Luck can catch on to this quickly.