Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Jerry Hughes make the jump?

Superman

I'm going to do something that I don't normally do, and that's link to a StampedeBlue article. It's not written by the normal guy over there, and as such, it actually has some value. The article makes some assumptions and conclusions that I don't necessarily agree with, but it does a good job of breaking down what the typical OLB does in a 3-4 defense, and comparing that with how Hughes was projected as a draft prospect.

One thing that's clear is that Hughes was projected as an OLB in the NFL, and was expected to go late in the first or early in the 2nd. I don't like the pick for us for several reasons, but it's not because we reached for him. Most draft boards had him right where we took him. But check this excerpt out:

This all seems to indicate that most scouts and draft gurus agreed that Hughes had the following traits:
  • Definitely a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL with a chance to become a 4-3 defensive end.
  • High motor, plays until the whistle is blown.
  • Explodes off the snap.
  • Great production out of TCU in the Mountain West Conference, racking up 28.5 sacks and 39 tackles for a loss.
  • Can get engulfed sometimes by bigger lineman.
  • Needs to work on run defense and dropping into coverage.

This kind of crystallizes the reasons I didn't like the pick: 1) We had two entrenched starters at end, both under contract for at least the next two seasons, and 2) Hughes was supposed to be a linebacker in the NFL, not an end, so it wasn't a good fit for our defense to begin with.

That said, he's here now, so no sense in complaining about where he was drafted. At this point, I think the scheme change is the best thing that could have happened for him. He should get a chance to show whether his skill set will translate to any NFL defense, since we'll be running a hybrid. If he can play, we should know it this season, without a doubt.

I agree with the writer that Hughes has to make himself known on special teams. He's too big and athletic not to be a stand-out special teams player for us. And his effort there will earn him goodwill from the coaches and from the fans.

I think it's fair to say that this is a make-or-break year for Jerry Hughes, and he should definitely be under the microscope. I am optimistic that he can produce in a new scheme. But he better, or else he'll be on the street.

I fully agree. With new coaches in a new system and jerry hughes going back to his more natural position This is a wonderful opportunity he has been presented with. It's a clean slate with a fresh start If he does not capitalize on it He will be gone. Depending on how much playing time he will receive I will watch him closely personally he's been a bust for the past 2 years I would love to see him excel or show some kind of great potential this year. I'm about giving the man a chance but this is the last 1. The positive He could be a diamond in the rough and surprise everyone. The con he can be jerry hughes. Good luck he will need it.

That was a very good article after you get by the first half of Polian bashing. I hope they have more like that and less from Wells.

I like the tweet from Mathis, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything bad about a teammate anyway.

My question is why has he not shown potential on special teams already? Did the past coaches on STs use him in the wrong way? Maybe new

STs schemes will make him an outstanding ST player since he has great athletic ability.

Has a first rounder ever kept a lower profile than him? yeah, he has to play behind our 2 best defensive players, but ST should have been where he kept his worth and he hasn't. Very puzzling.

Yea him and Vernon Gholston(#6 overall in 08' draft) are the definition of busts but can easily change that in one year but Gholston is still a free agent it wouldn't surprise me if we brought in Gholston since we just waived Kirkpatrick. Ironically they both were projected to play the same position OLB in the NFL.

Hes hardly the first end to be projected as an OLB.

This ^....plus that projection was likely based on a key from the scouting report - "Tendency to get engulfed by bigger blockers". Projects him to be better playing in some space. Mathis and Freeney beat blockers, but also played very effectively when engaged by them, which happened with great frequency. For his size, it is crazy how good Mathis looks when engaged with a big tackle. Hughes hasn't shown as much ability to get a rush on the passer when more closely engaged with a tackle. As an OLB, you get more space before engaged. Might work out, might not. Lots of good OLBs could never engage a tackle the way 98 and 93 do out of a three point stance.

I'm assuming if he does, it won't be for another 3 years.

Hes literally done nothing until this point, and suddenly he's supposed to produce, due to a simple alignment issue? I don't buy it.

Some players just don't have it, and I'm assuming Hughes is one of them.

Some players may excel in certain systems, but they are good football players in ALL systems.

I'm assuming if he does, it won't be for another 3 years.

Hes literally done nothing until this point, and suddenly he's supposed to produce, due to a simple alignment issue? I don't buy it.

Some players just don't have it, and I'm assuming Hughes is one of them.

Some players may excel in certain systems, but they are good football players in ALL systems.

He doesn't have three years.

I'm not trying to say that he has Pro Bowl talent. He's clearly not an elite player at this point, and I'm not looking for him to be, although that would be nice. But he obviously has tools, and the new scheme should allow him to make the most of those tools. He should not have been drafted by a team that was going to make him a full-time defensive end, and he shouldn't have been drafted by a team with two elite ends ahead of him. Not only has he had a hard time even getting on the field, but when he's been there, he's been trying to excel at a position that he's really not suited for. And that's based on the pre-draft scouting reports; it's made even more clear when you watch the tape.

So now, we're putting him in a situation that should be better for him, in a scheme that's designed to get our most athletic defenders into situations to create chaos. If he doesn't show his ability to be a playmaker in this scheme, he'll be out of the league.

I think the biggest issues with Jerry Hughes has been lack of strength. That was made crystal clear in the pre-season game vs. the Packers a couple of years ago. I know he's had two full NFL seasons since then but it does take time to get stronger. If he hasn't gotten stronger though it doesn't matter if we play him at 3-4 LB or 4-3 End he's going to struggle. With that said the little we saw of him last year he looked better than he did the year before so maybe he is slowly coming along like Polian said might be the case with him. This is probably his make or break year though. With the new management I don't see them holding on to him past this year if he doesn't do anything.

Because he stood up some and with his hand down at DE was left in space. He was very effective at TCU.

It's time to put up or shut up for Mr. Hughes.

I agree...and we need this because we could get Freeney, Mathis and Hughes all on the field on passing downs.

..and maybe get a 4-man rush like the Giants (or us in our heyday) where they dont have to blitz

I think the biggest issues with Jerry Hughes has been lack of strength. That was made crystal clear in the pre-season game vs. the Packers a couple of years ago. I know he's had two full NFL seasons since then but it does take time to get stronger. If he hasn't gotten stronger though it doesn't matter if we play him at 3-4 LB or 4-3 End he's going to struggle. With that said the little we saw of him last year he looked better than he did the year before so maybe he is slowly coming along like Polian said might be the case with him. This is probably his make or break year though. With the new management I don't see them holding on to him past this year if he doesn't do anything.

I completely agree with your assessment, especially the last sentance. We've seen that if someone on the roster is not up to par, Grigson has wasted no time looking for better talent.

How is a 3-4 LB? He played a 4-3 DE at TCU.

The 4-3 is even more widespread in college than it is in the NFL. Most of the good 3-4 OLBs playing the game today were projected out of 4-3 college systems based on their specific level of athleticism.

Do or Die for Hughes this year.

I think they'll keep him around this year in case Mathis or Freeney get hurt. But if he stinks up the field (like the previous years)....see ya.

Everytime I've watched Hughes, it seems he takes himself right out of the play. Hopefully with new coaching, he sheds that. Here's hoping.

Is there a secret plot on here....... to create a "Can Jerry Make it this Year" thread every two or three weeks, in the hope that it produces the miracle that we all know won't happen? Can't we just accept he was another mega Polian goof?

I started the thread because there was a good article on him on another site. I don't expect a miracle, but if he can contribute it would be good for him and good for us. Do you not think it's a relevant topic?

I started the thread because there was a good article on him on another site. I don't expect a miracle, but if he can contribute it would be good for him and good for us. Do you not think it's a relevant topic?

Yes, but not again. We've had at least 3 or 4 threads already on this topic. Although yours is perhaps a new look at it. I've just no faith in the guy, and can't see him bustin' through. Ignore me....

I completely agree with your assessment, especially the last sentance. We've seen that if someone on the roster is not up to par, Grigson has wasted no time looking for better talent.

Well Grigson didn't have anything to do with drafting these guys either (other than the guys he's gotten from the Eagles) so it's much easier to cut ties with guys you didn't bring in. Polian did much of the same when he first came in here. Once it becomes your guys though GMs tend to be a little more patient.

With that said Hughes problem in that regard is that the guy who drafted him is gone and he has no track record to fall back on so he better preform this year or I would fully expect Grigson to cut bait.