Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Addai Signs With Patriots [Merge]

Andy

oh ya know how it is, it is the Patriots after all, imagine if Peyton went to the Dolphins them same folks would say the same thing about him cut or not

The Dolphins? I don't even hate the Jets anymore (and personally I never hated the Dolphins in the first place). I would have been perfectly happy if Peyton went to Miami - other than the fact that they have questionable management at the moment.

Could it just be that the Colts had some decent players that were worth going after once they were available?

Exactly. Amazing, isn't it.

By the way, see how much more optimistic you are with your new avatar. : haha:. (You look like my X-brother-in-law when he was young by the way).

I'm happy for Addai and the others, but I am a little bit irritated at the brain picking that will obviously be going on. The Pats (and Packers) may learn how better to prepare to play Peyton (regardless of what offense he is in), and Brady/Rodgers may well pick up something that could improve their games. I realize that this type of thing happens all the time, but rarely with players who have been such an integral part of Peyton's success. And it probably goes without saying that anything that might benefit the Patriots is particularly irksome.

I'm glad he's going to a good team. He'll have the best season of his career.....IF he doesn't get injured. The only thing I've ever faulted him for and that's something out of his control....injuries.

By the way, see how much more optimistic you are with your new avatar. : haha:. (You look like my X-brother-in-law when he was young by the way).

I'm happy for Addai and the others, but I am a little bit irritated at the brain picking that will obviously be going on. The Pats (and Packers) may learn how better to prepare to play Peyton (regardless of what offense he is in), and Brady/Rodgers may well pick up something that could improve their games. I realize that this type of thing happens all the time, but rarely with players who have been such an integral part of Peyton's success. And it probably goes without saying that anything that might benefit the Patriots is particularly irksome.

Oh dear god.

Do you honestly think that BB needs Addai's help to break down Peyton's game, considering that the Patriots and Colts have faced off regularly for the past what, 30 years?

Ridiculous.

Peyton is on a completely different team, with a completely different offense. I guarantee that Addai's past with Peyton has absolutely NOTHING to do with why BB brought him on.

I'm glad he's going to a good team. He'll have the best season of his career.....IF he doesn't get injured. The only thing I've ever faulted him for and that's something out of his control....injuries.

Hmm. The main problem with your argument is that, I think, Ridley may end up being the feature back. I think that Addai may serve more of a Kevin Faulk, 3rd-down type of back. He'll get his snaps at times during 1st/2nd down, but I think that Ridley will get the majority of those snaps, as well as Vereen (if healthy).

I don't think that Addai would get 50% of the snaps.

Oh dear god.

Do you honestly think that BB needs Addai's help to break down Peyton's game, considering that the Patriots and Colts have faced off regularly for the past what, 30 years?

Ridiculous.

Peyton is on a completely different team, with a completely different offense. I guarantee that Addai's past with Peyton has absolutely NOTHING to do with why BB brought him on.

He never said that was the reason why Belichick brought Addai in, he just said that now, Brady and Rodgers have a guy who has worked with Peyton for many years and could tell them a few things about Peyton/Peyton's preparation/Peyton's offense/Peyton's tendencies. Sure, Belichick has studied a lot of film of Indy and Peyton, but the Colts have beaten the Patriots a number of times (and even more in the last few years than in the early 2000s), so he clearly doesn't know everything and one could argue that Peyton is beating Belichick in that sense due to his recent success against the Pats.

Hmm. The main problem with your argument is that, I think, Ridley may end up being the feature back. I think that Addai may serve more of a Kevin Faulk, 3rd-down type of back. He'll get his snaps at times during 1st/2nd down, but I think that Ridley will get the majority of those snaps, as well as Vereen (if healthy).

I don't think that Addai would get 50% of the snaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if Addai supplants Ridley for the starting job. Addai is a fantastic runner, an extraordinary receiver and a superb blocker....as I'm sure you're aware. I feel Addai will complement Brady far better than Ridley. This will get sorted out in training camp/pre-season, but I'm thinking Addai will have Belichick drooling.

'Ol Joe got a bad rap here.

It's more likely that the Packers needed a center who fits their offense. They got one.

And the Pats needed a RB that fits their offense. They got one.

I don't think either team is thinking about Manning like most posters here are.

It's more likely that the Packers needed a center who fits their offense. They got one.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, but players do that kind of stuff all the time. I remember seeing a video where the Pats were at a practice and Moss (who had just come over from the Raiders) was talking to Belichick about the Raiders, whom they were playing that week, and he said "Be ready for a lot of zone blitzes. They love to run zone blitz". Though I'm sure Belichick already knows that from watching all the film, I'm sure it happens quite often and sometimes the coaches do learn a thing or two. When you have a guy as detail-oriented as Peyton, there is probably lots to learn despite watching so much film over so many years and playing him so many times.

Oh dear god.

Ridiculous.

Far from ridiculous. Viriludent you are over-reacting, or miss-understanding, or both. . See ruksaks comments.

I'm not sure why my comment required a defensive response from a Pats and Packers fan. I'm well aware of why both teams brought both players, and I'm well aware of the quality of their management, coaches, and QBs. They certainly wouldn't sign someone JUST for that reason, It wasn't my intention to sully the omnipresence of 'the magnificence of Massachusetts. I was merely pointing out an ancillary effect which I find quite annoying.

The Packers don't play the Broncos often enough for direct competition with them to be a concern, but half the reason for signing Saturday is his brain - which by some accounts is the other half of Peyton's brain. They are joined at the hip, and I don't see how it is possible for him to bring his wealth of experience to bear without saying every 15 seconds "well with the Colts". And do you not think that Rodgers might be curious about some things?

And it is impossible to talk about Belichick without talking about the extraordinary lengths that he will go to to win. He thinks outside the box more so than in. If you don't think that - prior to facing the Broncos - he isn't going to ask for further clarification of exactly what the meaning of Peyton's pre-snap antics are, you are kidding yourself. He would be errant not to. How do you simultaneously applaud him as being so good that he doesn't need it the info, while "pish-poshing" the suggestion that he would bother to consider it. It is precisely the fact that he WILL take any and all information into consideration and adapt on a game to game basis that makes him so good in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Addai supplants Ridley for the starting job. Addai is a fantastic runner, an extraordinary receiver and a superb blocker....as I'm sure you're aware. I feel Addai will complement Brady far better than Ridley. This will get sorted out in training camp/pre-season, but I'm thinking Addai will have Belichick drooling.

'Ol Joe got a bad rap here.

Perhaps. Addai's injuries give me pause, though, and the Patriots' O-line, although outstanding for passing, is only average when it comes to the running game.

I'm thinking that Addai's receiving abilities will allow him to outshine the other RBs in that respect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridley and Woodhead get a lot of carries, particularly Ridley.

Perhaps. Addai's injuries give me pause, though, and the Patriots' O-line, although outstanding for passing, is only average when it comes to the running game.

I'm thinking that Addai's receiving abilities will allow him to outshine the other RBs in that respect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ridley and Woodhead get a lot of carries, particularly Ridley.

Honestly I don't really know jack about Ridley. Is there a lot of buzz on him in beantown?

Far from ridiculous. Viriludent you are over-reacting, or miss-understanding, or both. . See ruksaks comments.

I'm not sure why my comment required a defensive response from a Pats and Packers fan. I'm well aware of why both teams brought both players, and I'm well aware of the quality of their management, coaches, and QBs. They certainly wouldn't sign someone JUST for that reason, It wasn't my intention to sully the omnipresence of 'the magnificence of Massachusetts. I was merely pointing out an ancillary effect which I find quite annoying.

The Packers don't play the Broncos often enough for direct competition with them to be a concern, but half the reason for signing Saturday is his brain - which by some accounts is the other half of Peyton's brain. They are joined at the hip, and I don't see how it is possible for him to bring his wealth of experience to bear without saying every 15 seconds "well with the Colts". And do you not think that Rodgers might be curious about some things?

And it is impossible to talk about Belichick without talking about the extraordinary lengths that he will go to to win. He thinks outside the box more so than in. If you don't think that - prior to facing the Broncos - he isn't going to ask for further clarification of exactly what the meaning of Peyton's pre-snap antics are, you are kidding yourself. He would be errant not to. How do you simultaneously applaud him as being so good that he doesn't need it the info, while "pish-poshing" the suggestion that he would bother to consider it. It is precisely the fact that he WILL take any and all information into consideration and adapt on a game to game basis that makes him so good in the first place.

I see your point. And in some ways being with the Packers might remind Jeff of "the old Colts" offense. He might share a few stories and things. And Rodgers and McCarthy would listen.

Best of luck to Addai. The Pats really seem to be envious of our offense, aren't they? They signed Gonzo, they got Addai....next up, they'll sign Clark and try to trade for Peyton.

Or reports will come out that they tried to sign Peyton and Brady will get mad Jay Cutler style and demand a trade. It will cause such a rift within the organization that both Brady and Belichick are let go. Belichick feels alone, so he goes to the one team he has always envied and joins the Colts' coaching staff. Using his intelligence and clever mind, Belichick convinces all the other players in Indy to re-structure their contracts to create enough cap space for Peyton to come back (Elway is in such shock that he calls Peyton and says he has been released when he meant he wanted to debrief him on the team's plans this upcoming season). Meanwhile, Bob Sanders has changed his workout regimen, so he never gets injured and he returns to Indy to lead the defense. Peyton returns to Indy and takes care of the offense while Pagano, Belichick, and Bob take care of the defense and Indy goes 57-0 over the next 3 seasons en route to 3 consecutive Super Bowls and Peyton shattering the record books and winning even more MVPs while Bob wins a few more DPOY awards, and becomes the best defensive player in the history of the game as well as in the top 5 players of all time. Peyton retires with his status cemented as the best player in the history of the league and Luck takes over. Peyton comes back as the offense coordinator, so the coaching staff includes Peyton, Belichick, and Pagano. The three spearhead the team and continue the trend of winning Super Bowls they previously set during Peyton's playing years. Eventually, Peyton takes over the head coaching position and brings in Bob Sanders as the defensive coordinator and Dallas Clark as the offensive coordinator. Bob's defense plays better than the '76 Steelers and '85 Bears and he is credited as one of the game's most brilliant defensive minds. Luck plays very well and enjoys similar, though not identical, success to Peyton, but the Lombardi trophies keep making their way to Indy.....then, I wake up.

^^ THIS!! I had to register a username just to comment and say you seriously made my day with that. On another note I know we are supposed to hate eachother but I think you guys are really some of the classiest fans out there. I look forward to spending some time on this forum and our rivalry continuing for years to come. I wish you nothing but the best of LUCK unless we are playing lolz =)

^^ THIS!! I had to register a username just to comment and say you seriously made my day with that. On another note I know we are supposed to hate eachother but I think you guys are really some of the classiest fans out there. I look forward to spending some time on this forum and our rivalry continuing for years to come. I wish you nothing but the best of LUCK unless we are playing lolz =)

haha glad I could make your day! Welcome to the forums! I look forward to reading your posts!

"Addai, 29, is a declining player, though, who hasn't rushed for 1,000 yards since the 2007 season when he went to the Pro Bowl."

Tough opinion IMO.

I wish he could perform better! Good luck!

You make a valid point HCF. The tread of Addai's tires is thinning no doubt, but as John Dee has so accurately & astutely pointed out, Addai's primary responsibility in the Patriots offense will be blitz pickup just like he did in INDY for Peyton all those years.

Addai is a limited down player, while given a good O-line, will meet or exceed expectations in the running game. The Pats have a good O-line, and in all likelihood, will use Addai as a limited down back. He fits their no huddle offense too.

Excellent pick up. They failed to get him in the Laurence Maroney draft :), they finally got him.

Watch Gonzo and Addai make key contributions to the Pats offense over the course of the year. Players that will flourish in limited roles, IMO.

http://musketfire.co...-sign-rb-addai/

I know this news is a day old, but no one had started a thread yet. Can't understand why the Pats would pick him up. He seems to be on the downhill portion of his career. Thoughts? Comments?

I think injuries have been his downfall over the past few years. In a new system that actually utilizes a fullback unlike our old system I think he's a solid addition for their team.

Good receiver, blocker, and runner. With limited carries he could do great there.

NE is really loading up. They're going to be very good this year.

I don't consider this particular transaction an example of New England loading up.

I think injuries have been his downfall over the past few years. In a new system that actually utilizes a fullback unlike our old system I think he's a solid addition for their team.

Exactly. Belichick loves nothing more than cerebral, fundamental players that don't >>> up. That's Addai. I cannot even remember saying "Boy Addai really lost that game for us when he fumbled the ball" or "Dangit Addai totally blew that block and Manning got blasted, Joe really jacked us out of a win there".

Brady is gonna love having Addai in on passing downs especially. A great short route runner, he provides a (Kevin) Faulk-esque dump off as well as superior reliable blocking.

This was an A+ addition.

He will fit right in and he wont be used every play. He will also get the honor of actually having a lead blocker in the backfield (Fullback) unlike the Caldwell error where virtually all running plays were single back. He should do fine.

Sorry, ruksak, wrong on this one. I checked the thread, and there was only one link that said he'd signed, and that was incorrect, as the link I posted was from the official Patriots webpage and said he had signed today, not three days ago as the other link said.

I try not to post old posts---sometimes I miss---but not here! :)

too bad he'll have the same problem he had in INDY,

No one bit on play action because even if they committed to the pass it was a worst case scenario of giving up 2-3 yards.

Umm the Pats averaged over 4 yrds a carry last yr so they do pretty well lol but the choice be 4 yrds or 20-30 yrds if they give up the pass lol