Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Freeney to replace Suggs.

Rybono

The biggest question mark surrounding Freeney at this point in time is his ability to fit the 3-4 or Suggs role in the 3-4.

The problem of Baltimore fitting his 14 million base salary into their cap, or extending Freeney's contract is still an issue that would have to be dealt with prior to a trade.

In theory it seems like a decent idea. Frees up cap space this year or it could roll over to next year, and the Colts might get more than Caldwell's first Ravens shirt in exchange. It most certainly won't be the windfall that some expect/demand.

I doubt the Ravens take a chance on such a big question mark.

They only realistic trade that makes sense for Freeney is to a 4-3 team that wants to use him as an end and also extend his contract.

At this point, the Colts are his best opportunity for as a 3-4 OLB as he is already under contract, and the colts intend to run that system. I highly doubt he signs an extension to be a 3-4 OLB until he has played it for a season. If it isn't a good fit for him, he'll want out.

I highly doubt a 3-4 team will give up any worthwhile pick (3 or higher) to take on a one year experiment at OLB at 14 million. Fortunately for the Colts, they don't have to give up a pick to try him out at OLB. They just have to pay him a lot.

More likely is a team like Cincy smells blood in the water and with their cap space and need for a 4-3 pass rusher might offer up something...or NE. More than likely any team would have to offer a player and draft pick in return because the money is soo high we would have to take a bad contract off them to get this to work. In doing so they would have to offer a draft pick too.

Anything is plausable...nothing is likely! With the current makeup of the roster we didn't draft anyone to replace Freeney so we would be sitting really bad if we let him go now.

The biggest question mark surrounding Freeney at this point in time is his ability to fit the 3-4 or Suggs role in the 3-4.

The problem of Baltimore fitting his 14 million base salary into their cap, or extending Freeney's contract is still an issue that would have to be dealt with prior to a trade.

In theory it seems like a decent idea. Frees up cap space this year or it could roll over to next year, and the Colts might get more than Caldwell's first Ravens shirt in exchange. It most certainly won't be the windfall that some expect/demand.

I doubt the Ravens take a chance on such a big question mark.

I thought about the idea too when I first read about Suggs' injury, but FJC is right. I don't see the Ravens giving up anything of significance for a player who may or may not fit well into the position. Now, if a 4-3 team suffers an injury to one of their premiere pass rushing DE's, then we would have a good chance of making a trade and getting maximum value back.

I thought about this as well. But do keep in mind that in a 3-4 defense, if you don't have pressure coming off the edge, the whole defense collapses. Take a look at Arizona. Two years ago they ran the 3-4 and had little pressure, so they were tore apart. Last year, they added Sam Acho and O'Brien Scofield was health all year. Suddenly, their defense was much better.

What I worry about is if Freeney is traded, who replaces him? In theory, maybe Jerry Hughes lives up to his billing, but if he doesn't the whole defense suffers from lack of pass rush. So I really do hope that Freeney is resigned to a longer deal.

And as someone pointed out, the Ravens lined up in a 4-3 like 53% of the time. So I really would expect Freeney to do next year mostly what he has been doing.

they drafted sergio Kindle to the draft before in the 2nd round who fell down stairs and missed his entire rookie season and he's going to get his shot as well

I don't think they'll trade Freeney to the ravens or anyone, but i thought kendle played last year

Before we get into fit/compensation/etc. please consider this:

The Ravens are going to have to do some trimming to sign their rookies under the salary cap; there's not a $14M cushion for Freeney's salary (or really any renegotiated salary).

I don't think the Ravens would do it. They brought in Upshaw, who is a younger guy, through the draft and he will be groomed into that pass rusher role. Upshaw is also more used to playing standing up instead of with his hand in the dirt, he doesn't have as big a contract as Freeney, and Freeney's impact in the 3-4 is unknown

I would rather take my chances with Freeney. If it does not pan out, he is a free agent next year and we part ways.

Funny thing is if we would have traded Freeney, the same people wanting to trade him would have pulled out the pitchforks screaming that we never gave him a chance to show what he could do in a new system. haha

DON'T TRADE FREENEY.....The Ravens drafted Courtney Upshaw to back up Terrell Suggs, and now he's gonna get his chance.

Let's keep Freeney and watch what he does this season.

could always trade freeney and a 5th round pick in next years draft for Upshaw lol. but chances of that happening would be slim to none. freeney isnt going anywhere until he becomes a FA. but Seattle is looking for that DE and they will def need one when bruce irving doesnt pan out. Iriving looks more like a CB or LB lol. Freeney would fit there. but again freeney wont go anywhere until hes a FA

The Ravens arent dumb enough to take on a 14 million dollar experiment at Linebacker especially when they dont have to......kinda like we really dont have to, we have other linebackers, Our chance has come and gone when it comes to trading him with the draft I said we should have packaged him and Mathis as crazy as that sounds but both are 4-3 guys we could have drafted Upshaw and traded for picks and still got our Tight Ends and drafted a Linebacker in the mid to late rounds, now we are gonna eat the 14 million and he will walk next year

The Ravens arent dumb enough to take on a 14 million dollar experiment at Linebacker especially when they dont have to......kinda like we really dont have to, we have other linebackers, Our chance has come and gone when it comes to trading him with the draft I said we should have packaged him and Mathis as crazy as that sounds but both are 4-3 guys we could have drafted Upshaw and traded for picks and still got our Tight Ends and drafted a Linebacker in the mid to late rounds, now we are gonna eat the 14 million and he will walk next year

You realize Mathis was a free agent and we signed him this offseason, right?

You realize Mathis was a free agent and we signed him this offseason, right?

Mhhm I do, Im just saying Im not a fan of experimenting with a player when he exceled at another position in another system when he have actual true linebackers

Mhhm I do, Im just saying Im not a fan of experimenting with a player when he exceled at another position in another system when he have actual true linebackers

The position that Suggs plays and that Freeney will be playing is not a true LB position.

We don't have "actual true" 3-4 OLBs. We have projects. The most common correlation predraft for any position is 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. Hughes was a tweener expected to be either one.

Meh, this argument is tired and old. I'll be willing to bet that what we see on the field is better than what we saw last year.

Mathis and Freeney will still rush the passer 80+% of the time. They'll cover flats or zones once in a while, and they may assist in man coverage once in a blue moon. The new staff will disguise them, but put their advantages to good use. If they don't, the coaching staff is missing something. I don't see that being a problem though.

The position that Suggs plays and that Freeney will be playing is not a true LB position.

the way I understand it Freeney will have his hand on the ground and other times he will be standing up, Suggs did both I believe so it could work out better then expected http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2mEfrF2s8&feature=related this shows a little bit where Suggs lined up, he did both

the way I understand it Freeney will have his hand on the ground and other times he will be standing up, Suggs did both I believe so it could work out better then expected ... this shows a little bit where Suggs lined up, he did both

I know where Suggs tends to line up. My only point was that the position Suggs plays is not a true LB position. If he were on a team that played strictly with a 4 man front then Suggs would be a DE. :)

I know where Suggs tends to line up. My only point was that the position Suggs plays is not a true LB position. If he were on a team that played strictly with a 4 man front then Suggs would be a DE. :)

I know, I was just saying he did both

they drafted sergio Kindle to the draft before in the 2nd round who fell down stairs and missed his entire rookie season and he's going to get his shot as well

They also have Paul Kruger who was very productive in limited action last season. Acquiring Freeney makes virtually no sense for them and would be very atypical of their front office.

I'm inclined to say "yes it is" but I'm curious as to what you think constitutes a "true LB".

They also have Paul Kruger who was very productive in limited action last season. Acquiring Freeney makes virtually no sense for them and would be very atypical of their front office.

I'm inclined to say "yes it is" but I'm curious as to what you think constitutes a "true LB".

Yeah I actually thought about that after the last couple of posts...this is very dependent on what each person considers a "true LB" to be. I consider a true LB to be a guy like Angerer, Conner, Urlacher, etc. Guys that don't rush the passer except for in blitz situations but even then they play in coverage far more often. Basically guys that would play a LB position in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Guys like Suggs, Upshaw, Demarcus Ware, James Harrison etc rush the passer the majority of the time. They do drop back in coverage occasionally but that's far from their primary role. These are guys that would be an OLB in a 3-4 but in a 4-3 they would much more likely be a DE.

But you know what, more than anything I want to thank you for asking for clarification on what I meant instead of just jumping to a conclusion and telling me how wrong I am. So thank you for that. :)

yall are so disloyal to players its ridiculous..Freeney totally outplayed his contract shouldnt even be a discussion of trading him

I love Freeney, and hope he excels at the position and we can negotiate a deal where he stays; but he has not outplayed his contract. He is on a 6yr/$72 million (2007) contract, which is structured almost exactly the same as Jared Allen's 6yr/$73.26 million (2008); and is in line (given the year the contracts were signed) with the contract Mario Williams just signed 6yr/$96 million.

I love Freeney, and hope he excels at the position and we can negotiate a deal where he stays; but he has not outplayed his contract. He is on a 6yr/$72 million (2007) contract, which is structured almost exactly the same as Jared Allen's 6yr/$73.26 million (2008); and is in line (given the year the contracts were signed) with the contract Mario Williams just signed 6yr/$96 million.

5 years 46 sacks 19 forced fumbles ill take that any day of the week

5 years 46 sacks 19 forced fumbles ill take that any day of the week

Jared Allen 4 years 62 sacks 13 forced fumbles (I went 4 years because that is how long he has played on Vikes under current contract)

I am not complaining about Freeney or saying he is overpaid; I am happy with his performance ... I am just saying his contract matched his performance he did not outplay it, and is in line with other DEs at his level.

Jared Allen 4 years 62 sacks 13 forced fumbles (I went 4 years because that is how long he has played on Vikes under current contract)

I am not complaining about Freeney or saying he is overpaid; I am happy with his performance ... I am just saying his contract matched his performance he did not outplay it, and is in line with other DEs at his level.

Allen, Ware are the only ones better in that span..you know how many DE/OLB it is in this league and freeney is in the top 5 when it comes to sacks/forced fumbles in that span not to mention his whole career totally outplaying his contract Jared Allen is just not human lol

Yeah I actually thought about that after the last couple of posts...this is very dependent on what each person considers a "true LB" to be. I consider a true LB to be a guy like Angerer, Conner, Urlacher, etc. Guys that don't rush the passer except for in blitz situations but even then they play in coverage far more often. Basically guys that would play a LB position in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Guys like Suggs, Upshaw, Demarcus Ware, James Harrison etc rush the passer the majority of the time. They do drop back in coverage occasionally but that's far from their primary role. These are guys that would be an OLB in a 3-4 but in a 4-3 they would much more likely be a DE.

Understandable. The 4-3 occupied a slot as being the defense for most teams for so long that most football fans tend to think of the defensive game in 4-3 terms. In that respect, a 3-4 OLB is more of a hybrid position (DE/LB).

Personally, though, I prefer defining LBs using more broad strokes. Being a good, "true" linebacker is about being a good pure athlete with an ability to be at least somewhat effective at just about everything. Your individual skillset and strengths merely determines what subset of LB you fall in to and what your best scheme fit may be. The one concrete thing that universally binds them is simply that their full set of skills are best utilized from a two point stance, usually playing within about 5 yards of the LOS.

But you know what, more than anything I want to thank you for asking for clarification on what I meant instead of just jumping to a conclusion and telling me how wrong I am. So thank you for that. :)

No problem. ;)