Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Freeney to replace Suggs.

Rybono

Allen, Ware are the only ones better in that span..you know how many DE/OLB it is in this league and freeney is in the top 5 when it comes to sacks/forced fumbles in that span not to mention his whole career totally outplaying his contract Jared Allen is just not human lol

Harrison is also better and there are several more who are very comparable numbers-wise over the last four seasons (e.g., Woodley, Hali, Suggs, Abraham). Incidentally, Freeney may be the weakest run defender out of everybody mentioned. That's definitely not to say that he isn't still one of the best out there, of course.

You never know . . . Trading Freenery might end up being smart. Just like the Hershel Walker trade Dallas made . . .

No one is giving basically a whole draft worth of picks for Dwight. Not really a fair analogy here....

You never know . . . Trading Freenery might end up being smart. Just like the Hershel Walker trade Dallas made . . .

The Ravens aren't going to trade us 50 or so draft picks for Freeney. They are going to give us one fourth to fifth round draft pick. Personally even with his contract Freeney is worth more to us than that.

I still say his contract makes it nearly impossible. Unless he signs an extension before being traded it ain't happening. Also now that the draft is over we have basically no way to fill his position if we trade him away. Just isn't happening. If say we had taken Upshaw at the top of round 2 that would be different but our defense would drop from servicable to a laughing stock without Freeney or another pass rusher. Perhaps if we are trying to lock up another number 1 draft pick we might do it. As his contract sits right now we would have to take on a pretty big contract in return to make it work capwise. Looking at their roster they just don't have a bad contract to throw in with a draft pick.

To me we would have a much bigger chance of a team like Cincinnati going for him. They play a 4-3. They were a playoff team. They need a pass rusher. Baltimore looks wounded and this would be a big step in the right direction for them. They do have some salary cap space to play with. I think they could possibly work out a trade. The only other team would be NE because they definately need a pass rusher and they have cap space as well. Only problem is they don't take on salary like that.

How many more Dang trade freeney post do we all have to suffer through people. Stop it, just Stop it.

It will keep happening until week 1. I think once games start people will be ok but most people (myself included) can't fathem how we pay him 14 million for this year. I don't mind him on the team if we were to get a discounted rate but it is just hard to justify all that dough when it could have filled soo many holes.

There is just no chance of trading that salary so people should just stop.

It will keep happening until week 1. I think once games start people will be ok but most people (myself included) can't fathem how we pay him 14 million for this year. I don't mind him on the team if we were to get a discounted rate but it is just hard to justify all that dough when it could have filled soo many holes.

There is just no chance of trading that salary so people should just stop.

All it would take to fix that is to allow Freeney's agent to negotiate a new deal with the trading team prior to the trade being finalized. I don't think Baltimore is a realistic trading partner but New England and Cincinnati definitely could be, as could any other 4-3 team that loses a star pass rusher prior to the week 8 trade deadline.

I don't think he'll be traded any time soon though. At this point I get the feeling they're just going to keep him on for now and see how he fits in the new role. I'm fairly confident in saying that Freeney will still be a Colt by the first preseason game. After that though, I could see a trade happening if either Freeney doesn't fit into the new role as well as expected or if he simply doesn't like the new role and wants out. So if a trade does happen, imo it will happen some time between the first preseason game and the week 8 trade deadline.

All it would take to fix that is to allow Freeney's agent to negotiate a new deal with the trading team prior to the trade being finalized. I don't think Baltimore is a realistic trading partner but New England and Cincinnati definitely could be, as could any other 4-3 team that loses a star pass rusher prior to the week 8 trade deadline.

I don't think he'll be traded any time soon though. At this point I get the feeling they're just going to keep him on for now and see how he fits in the new role. I'm fairly confident in saying that Freeney will still be a Colt by the first preseason game. After that though, I could see a trade happening if either Freeney doesn't fit into the new role as well as expected or if he simply doesn't like the new role and wants out. So if a trade does happen, imo it will happen some time between the first preseason game and the week 8 trade deadline.

Was really hoping Cincy with all their picks would grab Freeney too late now.3 choices left.1.Drop Freeney. 2.Restructure Freeney for trade. 3.14 million gamble all in on red on roulette table.(meaning 14 mill is too much to gamble on a aging OLB who cannot produce that much towards production.

Not sure why everyone want to trade Freeney for draft pics, unload contract, other people....etc, From what i have read he has talked to Reed and Lewis from Baltimore(his friends) and they assured him he is going to love the D the Colts put in place. I think if the coaching staff wanted to really unload him they would have traded him for like a 7th rounder before the draft.

I think the coaching staff loves the idea of having Freeney and Mathis rush the QB. You know what, i think the COlts are prepared to pay his large hit this year and if he takes off in this new D, i think they resign him next year and keep him until he is done playing. He is still playing at a high level.

DF has always been a team player and never complained about anything. He sold me on his character when he played on the bad ankle in the SB.......

How many more Dang trade freeney post do we all have to suffer through people. Stop it, just Stop it.

Freeney will be playing for us past the trade deadline and then and only then people might finally accept that we aren't going to trade him.

I don't really mind if people want to throw it out there but I really wish they would stick to one of the 1,483,495,890 trade freeney threads that are already out there.

No one is giving basically a whole draft worth of picks for Dwight. Not really a fair analogy here....

I didn't mean wer gonna get a ton of draft picks, I meant that we need to be smart with the way we deal Freenery, just like Dallas was with Walker.

Ok let me get this straight some say freeney cant make the transition to the suggs role in indy but want freeney to get traded to the ravens to play the Suggs role..dont get the knowledge behind that one. yall are going to say cap space but the Ravens are in the same boat as us they have no cap space either thats why they let like 5 players walk and still have to get a deal done with ray rice