Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

I would like to thank the Mods for not deleting my account, as I requested. AR is not an NFL QB yet, and probably won't ever be. I love the Manning comparisons, but Peyton actually showed talent in High School and College. This kid couldn't hit the right side of a barn if it was painted red.

Feel free to trash me, but AR was a wasted pick...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheNewGuy said:

I would like to thank the Mods for not deleting my account, as I requested. AR is not an NFL QB yet, and probably won't ever be. I love the Manning comparisons, but Peyton actually showed talent in High School and College. This kid couldn't hit the right side of a barn if it was painted red.

He literally is an NFL qb.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I understand why it happens I just think the team deserves better fans. 

it’s a very small market, and one of the most centrally located at that. They are almost always going to have a healthy amount of visiting fans at Lucas Oil. It’s one of the most friendly stadiums in the nfl. It has nothing to do with the fans or their loyalty. There are a lot of variables there. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

The fans - disappointed by the number of Bears fans on the stadium. What is that? Do Indy fans have no pride in defending their field against a regional foe? How does that even happen? They sold their tickets to randoms on the internet? 

Born and raised Hoosier here. 

The Bears and Pittsburgh always have a large amount of fan presence in our town. The main reason is due to anyone born or living in Indiana before 1984. 

Before the Mayflower trucks rolled in, you pretty much either had the option of rooting for Chicago, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati. 

With Chicago's metropolitan area extending into Indiana, you'll find there are a lot of Hoosiers in Northern Indiana who still support the Bears. Not to mention is just a few hours drive for anyone in Chicago to drive down to Lucas Oil. It's basically a day trip. 

As for the Steelers, it appears that it's a tradition passed down. Again, a lot of families before the '84 move in downtown Indy were Steelers fans. And they passed that fandom down to their next generations. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

We, the Indianapolis Colts, are not the same as the Bears or Packers in terms of history and legacy. This is obvious.

No that is not obvious.  The Colts are right there with the Bears and the Packers in terms of history and legacy.  The Colts history and legacy goes back to Baltimore.  The team moved and their history followed them to Indy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

No that is not obvious.  The Colts are right there with the Bears and the Packers in terms of history and legacy.  The Colts history and legacy goes back to Baltimore.  The team moved and their history followed them to Indy.

Please re-read. I said the Indianapolis Colts. History may have followed them, but not the fans.

10 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I don't think it is necessary to ask to delete your account, as you never know if you will change your mind. Just take a break or don't post comments until you are ready to post again.

As for your main point, I would get frustrated by AR's play too, but I believe he could be great. He needs more development. If we did not have a rookie QB waiting to start, I would want my team to trade for AR. He just needs development.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

it’s a very small market, and one of the most centrally located at that. They are almost always going to have a healthy amount of visiting fans at Lucas Oil. It’s one of the most friendly stadiums in the nfl. It has nothing to do with the fans or their loyalty. There are a lot of variables there. 

Not if people dont sell thier tickets.

First, there is no such thing as a bad win in the NFL. The Colts three games have all been one score affairs, and today they managed to get over the hump.

Kudos to JT, the o-line, Latu, and Jaylon Jones. Nick Cross has also been a consistent contributor.

Really concerned about our LB play. Way too many missed tackles and overrunning plays.

I have no idea what AR is going to be as an NFL QB. Other then that silly INT in the end zone, he seems to make good decisions on where to go with the ball. The overthrows are far too common for my liking, but if that can be corrected, I think he will be fine. Thankfully his misses are fairly consistent as opposed to spraying the ball all over the place. NFL defenses make you pay for overthrows, as we saw today. He has to get better. Will be fun to watch what happens.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Well I did and I’m not alone.  The Colts were not born in Indy they were born in Baltimore.  

This entire sub-thread has been about the fans. 

If the packers up and moved next week to Duluth, would those fans have the same level of loyalty as the Green Bay fans? No. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I don't think it is necessary to ask to delete your account, as you never know if you will change your mind. Just take a break or don't post comments until you are ready to post again.

As for your main point, I would get frustrated by AR's play too, but I believe he could be great. He needs more development. If we did not have a rookie QB waiting to start, I would want my team to trade for AR. He just needs development.

I hope you are correct. I don't feel that way though. I hope I am wrong but 6 interceptions in 3 games? On pace for 34.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I can only explain it to you. I cannot understand it for you.

I’ll use another team to help demonstrate this. The Steelers are one of the best traveling fanbases in the league. They have a much richer history with much more success than the Colts. Therefore, fans are willing to pay the money for tickets. For some, as has been pointed out, selling tickets to two or three games can pay the cost of the season tickets or significantly offset the cost.

You see less of this in franchises that have been around longer than the Indy Colts because there is more of a legacy with those more storied franchises. 

It has nothing to do with how storied they are.

Because its actually harder to get tickets to thier teams games, so they make even more on them than people in Indianapolis do. 

Its simply because they dont sell thier team out to make a few bucks, because they care more about it than people in Indianapolis. They would rather go to the game.

My observations.....

SS is imo not a very good coach right now.  Perhaps he can learn but I am not liking what I am seeing.  For one, his play calling is very very vanilla.  Pretty much Frank Reich 2.0.  Where is the movement.  Motion.  Confusion? Remember the talk about how great the AR and JT combo would be with rpo's?  I don't see anything.  He was supposed to be an offensive guru.  Innovative.  New.  I don't see anything from him that says that at all.  He does not play to AR's strengths and instead seems to want to make him into a drop back QB.   It wasn't until the 4th Q that he started to play to his strengths and you could see AR's confidence rise like the morning sun.  His entire demeanor changed.  He actually got excited.  And for heavens sakes....use Taylor much much more.  Get him some swing and screen passes.  USE THE GUY.  He is the best player on the team by far and yet is used half as much as he should be.

And let me say this.  The play right before the 2 minute warning.  The kickoff? To me SS not telling the returners to run the ball no matter what just to get rid of the 2 minute warning?  A coach should be fired for that.  I was screaming at the TV before the kickoff to make sure the returner takes the ball out of the endzone.  That is SO BASIC of an instruction to tell your kickoff team that I am sure it is something that would happen in pee wee football.  The fact that SS failed to do that throws up so many red flags imo and is exactly something that Frank Reich would do.   I don't think he is very quick on his feet and his ability to adapt is poor.  And for a QB guru?  AR seems to be regressing.  Not progressing.

AR imo will be fine.  More than fine.  He has all the ability in the world and I really have to wonder why there are so many anti AR fans on this board.  He has played all of what?  7 games?   Who do you guys want instead as qb?   Wentz?  Rivers?  He is young.  Very talented.  Very high ceiling.  I will take my chances with him.  I really wonder though why he is not progressing with his accuracy.  Throwing a ball to a WR is something he has been doing since he was a kid.  It is almost like fielding a ground ball in baseball or shooting a free throw.  It should be a very basic thing to complete a 5 yard swing pass.  If I thought he was overwhelmed mentally or just did not have the talent to throw I would say that.  But he normally makes good reads and does not seem at all flustered by NFL defenses.  But his ball just sails.  Again, for an NFL Qb guru, SS is really failing AR in this regard.   AR is not Jeff George.  He is much smarter and actually cares. 

Chicago is not a very good team and the Colts would not have probably won against many other teams but a win is a win so it is what it is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

If the packers up and moved next week to Duluth, would those fans have the same level of loyalty as the Green Bay fans? No. 

The Colts have been in Indy for 40 years.

And we have a lot more banners in the rafters than most teams. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

Because its actually harder to get tickets to thier teams games, so they make even more on them than people in Indianapolis do. 

Its simply because they dont sell thier team out to make a few bucks, because they care more about it than people in Indianapolis. They would rather go to the game.

Packers have one of the largest capacities in the nfl. Please explain what you mean by  it being harder to get tickets to their home games?

Let's move on from this. Thanks.

What are your thoughts on how the team played?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

My observations.....

SS is imo not a very good coach right now.  Perhaps he can learn but I am not liking what I am seeing.  For one, his play calling is very very vanilla.  Pretty much Frank Reich 2.0.  He was supposed to be an offensive guru.  Innovative.  New.  I don't see anything from him that says that at all.  He does not play to AR's strengths and instead seems to want to make him into a drop back QB.   It wasn't until the 4th Q that he started to play to his strengths and you could see AR's confidence rise like the morning sun.  His entire demeanor changed.  He actually got excited.  And for heavens sakes....ese Taylor much much more.  Get him some swing and screen passes.  USE THE GUY.  He is the best player on the team by far and yet is used half as much as he should be.

And let me say this.  The play right before the 2 minute warning.  The kickoff? To me SS not telling the returners to run the ball no matter what just to get rid of the 2 minute warning?  A coach should be fired for that.  That is SO BASIC of an instruction to tell your kickoff team that I am sure it is something that would happen in pee wee football.  The fact that SS failed to do that throws up so many red flags imo and is exactly something that Frank Reich would do.   I don't think he is very quick in his feet and his ability to adapt is poor.  And for a QB guru?  AR seems to be regressing.  Not progressing.

AR imo will be fine.  More than fine.  He has all the ability in the world and I really have to wonder why there are so many anti AR fans on this board.  He has played all of what?  7 games?   Who do you guys want instead as qb?   Wentz?  Rivers?  He is young.  Very talented.  Very high ceiling.  I will take my chances with him.  I really wonder though why he is not progressing with his accuracy.  Throwing a ball to a WR is something he has been doing since he was a kid.  It is almost like fielding a ground ball in baseball or shooting a free throw.  It should be a very basic thing to complete a 5 yard swing pass.  If I thought he was overwhelmed mentally or just did not have the talent to throw I would say that.  But he normally makes good reads and does not seem at all flustered by NFL defenses.  But his ball just sails.  Again, for an NFL Qb guru, SS is really failing AR in this regard. 

Chicago is not a very good team and the Colts would not have probably won against many other teams but a win is a win so it is what it is. 

I do wanna say Ive been very dissapointed with Shane this year. I think he has been atrocious.

He didnt even have the sense to return that kickoff with 2:01 on the clock to avoid giving the Bears a free timeout. And it couldve cost us the game. 

• Like 1

The game looked like the two youngest QBs in league playing. Shane is coaching like he trying to protect AR so he doesn’t get hurt or is it the defense trying to make him beat us from the pocket. I feel like AR has to take some off his throws which is effecting the accuracy of the ball. AR has to play better but he is the youngest starting qb in the NFL so we have to understand that it’s gonna be a lot of growing pains. Shane has to lean heavy on the run game and mix in deep shots to keep defenses honest. A lot of them high misses he is moving to his left and throwing left and it’s going high he has to clean that up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

I do wanna say Ive been very dissapointed with Shane this year. I think he has been atrocious.

He didnt even have the sense to return that kickoff with 2:01 on the clock to avoid giving the Bears a free timeout. And it couldve cost us the game. 

That’s on the player 

8 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Of course they would.  They just became the home of the Packers.  They would be thrilled.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Great to get the win but I fear what our record will look like in the end. Only so much running you can do. At some point you have to be able to put drives together. I have real concerns about this kids accuracy. I am not concerned about his reads. He makes the right reads mostly but the delivery just stinks other than the deep shots. I don't know what to say!

I hear what you are saying.  But here's the thing, he's making the right reads!  That's half the battle.  The other thing is this:  we know he can make the throws.  He's done it before.  The more he does it, the more consistent he will become.  I know this type of feeling, (from video games).  Sometimes the easiest throws are the hardest to make.  AR talked about it in his interview after the game.  He's just got to settle down.  I feel like they need to practice third and short, to get the first down, because honestly, that's really what we are struggling with.  Short to intermediate passes completions for a first down.

16 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Packers have one of the largest capacities in the nfl. Please explain what you mean by  it being harder to get tickets to their home games?

Because there are fewer tickets for resale.

They have sold out every game with season tickets since 1960. 

I would bet you that not once in those 64 years were they ever outnumbered in thier own stadium.

Ive seen it many times here. Including a playoff game against Tennessee when Manning was here in the RCA dome. 

The team could barely hear on 3rd down in thier own building today. You think thats okay?

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s on the player 

I totally disagree.  SS has to tell him before the kickoff that if he catches the ball in the EZ, to run it out just to kill the 2 minute warning. 

I mean this is basic coaching 101.  SS just seems like he is not very smart imo.  I also don't feel as if he holds people accountable, similar to Reich.  He takes JT out for the entire 4th Q last week for example, the Colts best players.  Beyond stupid.  And his obsession with running the ball up the middle....very Reich like....and not getting JT into open space is mind bottling. 

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Because there are fewer tickets for resale.

They have sold out every game with season tickets since 1960. 

I would bet you that not once in those 64 years were they ever outnumbered in thier own stadium.

Ive seen it many times here.

And why is that? They’ve had some atrocious teams. 

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

And why is that? They’ve had some atrocious teams. 

They have great fans that love football. 

Let me ask you this.....did the Tennessee Titans have a "storied franchise" when they came in the RCA dome in 99 and beat us in a playoff game, in our own building, with about 30% Titans fans in attendance in the smallest stadium in the league at the time? 

They had been in Tennessee for like 2 years.

Heres an article where Jeff Fisher mentions it......

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1204136/2019/09/12/a-lost-titans-classic-eddie-george-steve-mcnair-and-the-win-over-peyton-manning-that-started-a-rivalry/

They have great fans that love football. 

Let me ask you this.....did the Tennessee Titans have a "storied franchise" when they came in the RCA dome in 99 and beat us in a playoff game, in our own building, with about 30% Titans fans in attendance in the smallest stadium in the league at the time? 

They had been in Tennessee for like 2 years.

Heres an article where Jeff Fisher mentions it......

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1204136/2019/09/12/a-lost-titans-classic-eddie-george-steve-mcnair-and-the-win-over-peyton-manning-that-started-a-rivalry/

Ah so they’re just better people than us. Got it.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yup it's called the yips.  Happens in golf on short putts all of the time.

AR needs to stay after practice and throw 100 short passes every day until he over comes this.  They get paid $millions to play a game.  It shouldn't be that difficult to do.  I am not sure if they don't want to abuse his shoulder or what but he NEEDS to practice it until his mental block is gone and his mechanics are right.

He has the technology.