Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few roster moves

holeymoley99

1 hour ago, Uchiha Shisui said:

Yall think there’s any chance we kick the tires on jackson or howard for some secondary help? Or would the price be too steep?

I still don’t understand the price would be too steep logic. It’s week 3 & they are sitting at home. 

Almost every vet signing right now can be had for $2-$3 million maximum. Otherwise, they would have been signed long ago. 

I’m still confused why Howard or Witherspoon haven’t been signed. They are good veterans who have lost a step BUT we play a soft zone anyways 

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I still don’t understand the price would be too steep logic. It’s week 3 & they are sitting at home. 

Almost every vet signing right now can be had for $2-$3 million maximum. Otherwise, they would have been signed long ago. 

I’m still confused why Howard or Witherspoon haven’t been signed. They are good veterans who have lost a step BUT we play a soft zone anyways 

That would require Chris Ballard to essentially admit he was wrong.  I honestly think he has too much pride for that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

That would require Chris Ballard to essentially admit he was wrong.  I honestly think he has too much pride for that.

Interesting perspective you offer….  Considering a number of posters believe all Ballard says every year is “my bad”.   
Doesn’t that mean he’s admitting he’s wrong?   

22 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Just thinking of would it be too steep for CB to pull the trigger 😂 Ahkello would also be a nice option, didn’t realize he was also free

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting perspective you offer….  Considering a number of posters believe all Ballard says every year is “my bad”.   

But then what does he do about it? By just saying “my bad, that’s on me” and then doing very little, if anything at all, about it isn’t really admitting blame, that’s fading the heat in a press conference simply to say what you think people want to hear to get them off your back. They’d might as well rename that move after him directly at this point. 

Actions speak louder than words, and his words aren’t worth 10 cents in Chinese money anymore. And unfortunately his actions aren’t worth much more at this point, either. 

It’s the same old tired hollow nonsense with him every time his lips move at this point. You have to be a fool to believe he’s actually genuine about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, he’ll make comments like that after a season goes bust.  But not while the chips are on the table.

I think he’s as dug in on not giving in to outside pressure as any GM in major sports.  On some level, I admire that.  But what comes of it when the outside pressure is right?  If his default position is “I’m not changing course because of what anybody else says”, he’s betting that, on any disagreement, he’s always right and his critics are always wrong.

And nobody bats 1000.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Oh, he’ll make comments like that after a season goes bust.  But not while the chips are on the table.

I think he’s as dug in on not giving in to outside pressure as any GM in major sports.  On some level, I admire that.  But what comes of it when the outside pressure is right?  If his default position is “I’m not changing course because of what anybody else says”, he’s betting that, on any disagreement, he’s always right and his critics are always wrong.

And nobody bats 1000.

I should add that it’s fine for him to say that he’s not going to make any moves because lots of people are screaming about it.

Every GM would say that, and should.

But he also shouldn’t refuse to do moves simply because lots of people are screaming at him to do it.

And it seems to me that’s the side he errs on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I should add that it’s fine for him to say that he’s not going to make any moves because lots of people are screaming about it.

Every GM would say that, and should.

But he also shouldn’t refuse to do moves simply because lots of people are screaming at him to do it.

And it seems to me that’s the side he errs on.

I think him refusing to make certain moves has zero to do with him not wanting to do what people are asking. It has to do with what Ballard feels about the roster.

49 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think him refusing to make certain moves has zero to do with him not wanting to do what people are asking. It has to do with what Ballard feels about the roster.

true, but doesn't make it any better. he's stubborn as an unfed donkey

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Howard has legal issues he sent explicit picture to the minor son his kids mother or something like that 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Admitting that you're wrong at the end of the season, while continuing to be stubborn during the season doesn't do much to help the situation.

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

They want to see who the contenders are going to be.  It’s not about the money for them.

When will folks finally comprehend it takes two to tango. 

Very few to no free agents want to play in Indiana……like ever.

Indiana is a flyover state.

Naptown.

No Major free agents have EVER signed here even in the perennial Super Bowl days of the Manning era.

Some of y’all are just dense and sound like sheep repeating the same old rhetoric. 

Definition of insanity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe.  I’m sure he thinks he’s right.  At least I would hope he thinks he’s right.

But it seems wise to always be questioning that.  And I don’t think that’s in CB’s DNA…at least until it’s too late to matter.

All I’m saying is that the opposite of making every decision according to what external pressure wants is making no decisions according to what it wants.  And neither of these are healthy.

Ignoring it is perfectly fine.  But he should always be questioning himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe.  I’m sure he thinks he’s right.  At least I would hope he thinks he’s right.

But it seems wise to always be questioning that.  And I don’t think that’s in CB’s DNA…at least until it’s too late to matter.

All I’m saying is that the opposite of making every decision according to what external pressure wants is making no decisions according to what it wants.  And neither of these are healthy.

I think he’s just stubborn and stuck in his ways. I think he believes every player and position group is way better than it actually is, and that’s happened multiple times. I think he’s of the mentality of you stick to your guns no matter what. That’s fine in life, but as a GM you have to be able to adapt and change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Naptown.

No Major free agents have EVER signed here even in the perennial Super Bowl days of the Manning era.

Some of y’all are just dense and sound like sheep repeating the same old rhetoric. 

Definition of insanity.

We have Holiday World, Brown County, Hoosier National Forest, French Lick, Turkey Run, pork tenderloins, and Hoosier sugar cream pie!! 

Who wouldn't want all of that?!?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Naptown.

Definition of insanity.

Money talks, nonsense walks. It’s a business not a vacation. 

You mean to tell us that Jamal Adams would have turned down an offer here in early July to go to the rebuilding Titans instead? nonsense. 

The “no one comes to Indy” rhetoric is nonsense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Naptown.

Definition of insanity.

This is such a lame and mostly false excuse (delivered with such condescension, as well). Bill Polian and Chris Ballard both made it clear that they weren't prioritizing the signing of free agents. That's why it hasn't happened much. Of course, Grigson was able to sign free agents, but didn't do a good job of it. 

Player agents have said in published articles that money and other team-related factors are more important to most of their clients than a team's city. 

Just as a for instance, let's look at the most notable free agent cornerbacks and safeties that changed teams this offseason. The teams they signed with are: CBs: Cincinnati, Tennessee, Arizona, Miami, St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Jacksonville, and Carolina; Safeties: Green Bay, Chicago, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Denver, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, and Washington. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-position-by-position-signings-biggest-deals-at-qb-rb-wr-every-major-spot/

I'm not advocating that the Colts should have signed any of these particular players, but am saying the Colts could do so if they were adequately motivated to get it done. Are Cincinnati, Green Bay, St. Louis, or Detroit that much more favorable as places to live? Does it look like most of these free agents picked their teams based on the most trendy or attractive places to live? I don't think so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This is such a lame and mostly false excuse (delivered with such condescension, as well). Bill Polian and Chris Ballard both made it clear that they weren't prioritizing the signing of free agents. That's why it hasn't happened much. Of course, Grigson was able to sign free agents, but didn't do a good job of it. 

Player agents have said in published articles that money and other team-related factors are more important to most of their clients than a team's city. 

Just as a for instance, let's look at the most notable free agent cornerbacks and safeties that changed teams this offseason. The teams they signed with are: CBs: Cincinnati, Tennessee, Arizona, Miami, St. Louis, Houston, Detroit, Jacksonville, and Carolina; Safeties: Green Bay, Chicago, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Denver, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, and Washington. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-position-by-position-signings-biggest-deals-at-qb-rb-wr-every-major-spot/

I'm not advocating that the Colts should have signed any of these particular players, but am saying the Colts could do so if they were adequately motivated to get it done. Are Cincinnati, Green Bay, St. Louis, or Detroit that much more favorable as places to live? Does it look like most of these free agents picked their teams based on the most trendy or attractive places to live? I don't think so. 

Well if I were a free agent being offered a deal from St. Louis, I'd have to be a little skeptical...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

What a bunch of silly silly posters we have.

He doesn't have to question himself. He has a host of employees that look at every possibility to improve the team and bring their ideas forward to be considered. Ballard at that point would still have others involved helping choose the best way forward. Bringing players in to work out often being a part of the process. 

And yes the players and their agents get to look at what interest they have, who they would be coached by, potential playing time. 

That said, I say trade Ballard, Gus and his coaching buddies for draft picks.

On 9/18/2024 at 1:37 AM, John Waylon said:

But then what does he do about it? By just saying “my bad, that’s on me” and then doing very little, if anything at all, about it isn’t really admitting blame, that’s fading the heat in a press conference simply to say what you think people want to hear to get them off your back. They’d might as well rename that move after him directly at this point. 

Actions speak louder than words, and his words aren’t worth 10 cents in Chinese money anymore. And unfortunately his actions aren’t worth much more at this point, either. 

It’s the same old tired hollow nonsense with him every time his lips move at this point. You have to be a fool to believe he’s actually genuine about it. 

Preach! 

External clean-ups mean little if not accompanied by internal change.

• Like 1