Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking Taylor off the field

DalTXColtsFan

I'm sure this got discussed but I felt like it deserved its own thread.

Game 17 last year.  We need a TD to make the playoffs.  Taylor is not on the field.

Game 2 this year.  We need a TD to win the game.  Taylor is not on the field.

Help me understand the wisdom in not having your BEST PLAYER on the field in critical situations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Game 17 last year.  We need a TD to make the playoffs.  Taylor is not on the field.

Help me understand the wisdom in not having your BEST PLAYER on the field in critical situations.

You are correct. 

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

If I remember correctly, Taylor was on the sidelines in the final game last year — in part — because it looked like he sustained som type of leg injury.   I don’t think he was pulled while he was healthy. 

Also, Steichen likes Goodson as a receiver.  

I think it was bc they knew they had to pass and they weren't doing any running. Brought the pass catching back in. Taylor hands aren't that great 

Not really comparable. 

JT wasn't on the field week 17, because the play was practiced with Goodson, so naturally he got to play.

JT wasn't on the field week 2, because of a massive brainfart by Steichen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's why I said never give into him. I said he was an elite runner but below average in the passing game. U don't pay him elite rb money based on his skill set. Not too have your best player to finish the game is an indictment  and not understanding today's NFL. 

• Like 1

Because they were throwing? What a stupid answer because Taylor is also a great receiver and an RB that has to be respected and accounted for when he is on the field. Steichen is starting to tick me off he is bullheaded and makes stupid mistakes. He needs to be more active in getting players faces when they play lazy 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it was bc they knew they had to pass and they weren't doing any running. Brought the pass catching back in. Taylor hands aren't that great 

If we're talking about the 3rd and 2, even Olsen said this is 2 down territory.

Everyone thought they were just going to hand it to Taylor who at that point was ripping off 8-9 yard runs.

Then for some reason they toss pitch to Sermon and the play is buried.

I can understand going with Sermon the rest of the way because Colts were in pass only mode.

But the 3rd and 2 toss pitch to Sermon makes no sense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

If we're talking about the 3rd and 2, even Olsen said this is 2 down territory.

Everyone thought they were just going to hand it to Taylor who at that point was ripping off 8-9 yard runs.

Then for some reason they toss pitch to Sermon and the play is buried.

I can understand going with Sermon the rest of the way because Colts were in pass only mode.

But the 3rd and 2 toss pitch to Sermon makes no sense.

There needs to be a better running back than Sermon (and probably JT).  If SS feels that JT is an incomplete RB in certain situations, than the backup needs to be near starter quality in order to provide versatility to the play call.  The Colts can't take JT out in certain situations because it almost nearly assures that the Colts will be calling a play that JT doesn't do....like take pitches to the outside, or passing a lot.  

Its modern coaching...those "genius" coaching/GM types.  "We want these players in when we want to do this, and that package of players in when we want to do that"

How about leaving one group of 11 in (aside from 3 WR or 4 WR packages) and have them good at doing everything?  It's called having real talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen has turned stupid 

I don’t give a % if Sermon does catch better and does have better pass protection, which one is more dangerous with the ball in their hands? Blow a team out and actually win a darn game if you wanna give Sermon some mercy reps. wth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen has turned stupid 

Did someone tell Steichen it’s not the preseason anymore 

But if he says its because of JTs pass blocking, then he's throwing JT under the bus and his boss who just signed JT not too long ago.  And it would tell defenses what he thinks of JTs PB whenever he's in there. 

Sometimes coaches need to just say stuff without saying anything.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But if he says its because of JTs pass blocking, then he's throwing JT under the bus and his boss who just signed JT not too long ago.  And it would tell defenses what he thinks of JTs PB whenever he's in there. 

Sometimes coaches need to just say stuff without saying anything.

All he had to say was I need to do better getting our best players out there. This is a terrible terrible answer.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All he had to say was I need to do better getting our best players out there. This is a terrible terrible answer.

Meh, they are both non answers.  I wouldn't take him too seriously when he said he wanted to give Sermon touches.  JMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

It's kind of shocking the Colts didn't run the ball more with a box score like this:

image.png.c84767f543207d42cd49c40498c0b6af.png

said in the other thread that there is no reason why AR should be throwing +25 times a game.  He is NOT that type of QB.  JT should have at least 25 touches a game.  Even if the run isn’t working, RUN THE BALL.

For example, it’s not a coincidence that the Bills have success right now, even with losing Diggs.  In two games, Allen has thrown it 22 times per game while they’ve ran it 59 (Allen accounting for 11 of those).  With us, we’ve thrown 53 times and ran it 40 (AR accounting for 10 of those).

This is on Steichen.  This reminds me of the Carson Wentz season when we had JT playing very well and but Reich wanted to throw 40 times a game.  

Im guessing since we have AR now, Shane feels he can do more on the offense.  Which is correct, but not like this.  I have faith Shane will get it together.  He shown last season he can get it done.  It just seems like he’s making things much harder when they don’t have to be.

Gambling has now been welcomed by the NFL.   It’s everywhere.  We don’t know anything about these players and coaches.  All we see is what we see on tv.  We have no idea who their friends are.  They are all model citizens until they are not.  It’s sad but it’s the truth.  When you see our coach make an absolute dump decision on benching Taylor and then try to explain it away the way he did.  You can only shake your head and say what happened here.  It makes no sense. Zero sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Tik Tok Stare GIF

Dont buy that for a second. Why would SS tell the world that if JT is not on the feild. we are going to throw and in reverse tell the whole world if he is on the feild , we are going to run......He is way to secretive to tell that nonsense........Now SS is doing his best Ballard immitation. He is starting to lose credibility with his nonsense now. There is ZERO excuse for pulling your best weapon off the feild when the game is on the line...BTW, JT was averaging more (8.6) running the ball than we are throwing(6.0) the ball...Its just all nonsense. This team is imploding again!!! I feel that SS is trying to force AR to be a great QB whether AR is ready or not....Hey Shane, JT is proven, AR is NOT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Because they were throwing? What a stupid answer because Taylor is also a great receiver and an RB that has to be respected and accounted for when he is on the field. Steichen is starting to tick me off he is bullheaded and makes stupid mistakes. He needs to be more active in getting players faces when they play lazy 

Taylor is poor in pass protection and catching the ball. Colts were behind so they had ro pass. Having him there would have put the Colts at a disadvantage.  Yet, they paid him millions