Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR15 thru 2 games thus far:

csmopar

AR has flashed,  but has a lot of work to do. It really bothered me to see him sulking/pouting on the sidelines yesterday, at one point with towel over his head while sitting on a cooler. Some of our previous QBs took that opportunity to review plays and mistakes to try to seek better opportunities or reads on defenses. Not a good look in my opinion. Got to stay hungry/agressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People are bashing Ballard now, and I'm not going to pile on.  I like him better now that he's addressing skilled positions with higher draft picks/capital.

But to be honest, if we remember that draft, CHI was selling the first pick and we were at #4, so logic says we could have gotten that pick for less than CAR paid.  Every pundit was saying that Young was the best prospect and should go number 1, so a lot of folks here did not talk about trading up to 1 because they did not like BY.  They were content on getting the best QB left at 4.

So you are not going to get a lot of support for criticizing Ballard for not trading up, but your criticism is valid considering that Stroud is clearly the best QB of the bunch and we definitely had a trading partner looking for a deal.

Especially if Ballard has always wanted more of a drop back passer...why wait for AR to fall to 4 when we could have gotten the best drop back passer of the 4 by simply making an easy trade with CHI. And Stroud was the best drop back passer, it was his "lack of creativity"...the trendy...that was his criticism.  

Giving Chicago three #1's perhaps plus wasn't an "easy" trade.

Stroud came in the league with a lot to prove. Today I would agree he has a good shot to play in a SB. But that is post draft. And we could be here 10 years from now with Stroud coming up short of a SB.

Today I am not seeing Richardson as a guy headed to a SB. Neither did anyone see it from Josh Allen after year one.

Give AR 5 years, 8 years, he absolutely could be a MVP. Probably for someone else haha! 

7 minutes ago, HOZER said:

AR has flashed,  but has a lot of work to do. It really bothered me to see him sulking/pouting on the sidelines yesterday, at one point with towel over his head while sitting on a cooler. Some of our previous QBs took that opportunity to review plays and mistakes to try to seek better opportunities or reads on defenses. Not a good look in my opinion. Got to stay hungry/agressive. 

He's 21 years old and Steichen put the team on his shoulders. Probably not a good look, but beyond having to take in everything he's supposed to he's still maturing as a human being. How many here could take this responsibility at 21? At 21 I was all "* and beer"!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He's 21 years old and Steichen put the team on his shoulders. Probably not a good look, but beyond having to take in everything he's supposed to he's still maturing as a human being. How many here could take this responsibility at 21? At 21 I was all "* and beer"!

I get it, it’s a lot of pressure, but nothing is gained by sitting there sulking. He signed up for this. Plus the game was still winnable at that point.  I hate failing, and have always tried to learn from it and get better. I know we’re all built different, hopefully he changes he seems to have a short memory in the field at least.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I mentioned this in the gameday thread yesterday.  His body language was not good and he didn't look like a leader.

But people acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

I mentioned this in the gameday thread yesterday.  His body language was not good and he didn't look like a leader.

The whole team looked defeated coming off the bus in the clip I saw, maybe they were just “relaxed” but something just seemed off. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Very true.  But I think if I knew I had a chance at being a starting QB in the NFL, I’m pretty sure I would have been more mature.

All that being said, and I know it’s water under the bridge, but why didn’t they play him at least a half, or even more during the preseason?   

I understand that they needed to see what they had in other players.  But your franchise QB development is job 1 IMO.   I guess they’re will to make this season a learning experience instead of going for the playoffs.  

But “I like the guys we got”

• Like 1

I could care less if we had Tom Brady on the roster as an aging QB (like Flacco) as I’d still want Richardson to start…only because I’m so tired of old one year rental QB’s that does nothing to solve the position long term…and in this league you need some continuity to win especially at the QB position. If we hadn’t had a revolving door of aging QB’s already then I’d likely vote for Richardson to sit and learn…but that really isn’t where we are at. 

This year is all about seeing the viability of AR in terms of being a long term solution to the QB hellhole we’ve been in for like 8 years. Again, it’s our defense that has entirely done a suck to 180 move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

When I saw him like that, I immediately thought of Cam Newton.  Hated that thought...  Then, I justified his look, and the towel, by saying to myself - "the sun was beating down on him."   :thinking:

• Like 3

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

When I saw him like that, I immediately thought of Cam Newton.  Hated that thought...

15 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

I don’t think it’s a bad thing…he should sulk about the performance of the team…I think that for many people it is very true that you have to absorb the bad and pontificate it as it’s happening enough to get to a low sulking point so that the light bulb goes off in your head saying “I have to figure this out…I gotta start looking at this a different way and take charge and leadership”… I think it will eventually come for him. 

• Like 1

Mitchell was very cocky in the off-season. He chose number 10 for a good reason because he was the 10th receiver chosen in the draft so we had a chip on his shoulder watching him run routes and not using good technique using his hands to catch our problems that needs to be coached up. The way they talked about him. I thought he would be the number two receiver. He’s got speed, but he had two drops yesterday and when I talk about drops, I don’t mean, just touched his hands. I mean a ball he should’ve easily caught. it’s not helping Richardson receivers drop balls considering how inaccurate is throwing is right now. Nothing changes on both sides of the ball. This is gonna be a horrible season.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Would you rather go 0-17 with Richardson as long as he stays healthy and gets experience…..or have a chance at the playoffs with Flacco? I guess if you have a lot of faith in AR you’d say the former?

I’d rather go 0-17 and have not only a healthy AR with more experience and timing with his WRs going into next year along with a high draft selection that can be used to rearm for the future vs a 40 yr old Flacco and missing the playoffs or being one and done in the play offs. 

The latter means you’ve completely given up on AR after 2 games. That’s a recipe for assured disaster

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Not saying youre wrong but do you have a clip of what you’re referring too? I didn’t catch it live

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d rather go 0-17 and have not only a healthy AR with more experience and timing with his WRs going into next year along with a high draft selection that can be used to rearm for the future vs a 40 yr old Flacco and missing the playoffs or being one and done in the play offs. 

The latter means you’ve completely given up on AR after 2 games. That’s a recipe for assured disaster

If we keep seeing AR progress and he doesn’t get a season ending injury, I’m with you.

In effect, Ballard is too.  He had money to bolster know weak spots in the secondary and refused to do it.  So, apparently he’s saving up for next season.  If he still has a job.  Kind of unfair to the guys that are in their prime and would like to win now.  But, whatever.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

AR was sitting on a cooler with a towel covering his head (from the sun?) with a sulky look.  He should have been studying his tablet and being an aggressive leader. 

At least be looking at the iPad and talking to the OC.

It looked like he wanted to jump on the bus and leave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

People are bashing Ballard now, and I'm not going to pile on.  I like him better now that he's addressing skilled positions with higher draft picks/capital.

But to be honest, if we remember that draft, CHI was selling the first pick and we were at #4, so logic says we could have gotten that pick for less than CAR paid.  Every pundit was saying that Young was the best prospect and should go number 1, so a lot of folks here did not talk about trading up to 1 because they did not like BY.  They were content on getting the best QB left at 4.

So you are not going to get a lot of support for criticizing Ballard for not trading up, but your criticism is valid considering that Stroud is clearly the best QB of the bunch and we definitely had a trading partner looking for a deal.

Especially if Ballard has always wanted more of a drop back passer...why wait for AR to fall to 4 when we could have gotten the best drop back passer of the 4 by simply making an easy trade with CHI. And Stroud was the best drop back passer, it was his "lack of creativity"...the trendy...that was his criticism.  

I didn't say he was waiting for AR to drop to him because I clearly believe he thought Stroud would be there and if not Levis would be that option. Remember before the draft Stroud's stock sarted dropping because of his reported low scores on the Wonderlic test and his perceived lack of mobility. Stroud himself was emotional on draft day by his own words for being bashed and scrutinized leading up to him being taken at number 2 overall. Colin Cowherd said he believes that the Texans themselves were putting that narrative out as they were rumored to like Young (Bama ties) and AR for his mobility.

According to Shefty the AR pick was pushed by Shane as Ballard liked Levis once Young and CJ were off the board. Not going to argue that point because I don't know if that's true or not but according to Levis people Ballard had told Will that he would probably be their guy depending on HOW things feel thus his clearly angry facial reaction to the Colts announcing that AR was the pick at number 4 so take it for what it's worth. Who knows...

Me personally I was initially a Ballard fan but his whole approach in 8 yrs has garnered litttle success and that speaks for itself. I think it’s time to move on instead of repeating this mediocre cycle on a yearly basis.

12 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

AR was sitting on a cooler with a towel covering his head (from the sun?) with a sulky look.  He should have been studying his tablet and being an aggressive leader. 

He is very frustrated, and it looks like his receivers are not going where he thinks they are supposed to at times. And of course all QB's hate it when they make a bad throw.

Young QB's struggle going through multiple reads, and he definitely is not seeing open targets. As expected.

• Like 1

AR currently has the worst completion % of any starting QB at 49.1%. This stat includes all of the current rookies (J. Daniels, B. Nix, and C. Williams).

You have to be able to keep drives alive and complete passes regularly, otherwise the defense is back on the field. And with our defense, we can't stop the run, so the Time of Possession is completely lopsided.

The offense can't stay on the field and the defense can't get off of it.

29 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ok sure, show me so I can see is all I’m asking. Not doubting anyone but I’d like to see for myself

Not to pile on AR but I agree I didn't like the 'Pouty Face' after that drive where he sat on the cooler. Hopefully it's because he's just young and trying to hard. 

Hopefully he somehow learns the 'touch' part of passing because he really does have a cannon arm. I think that's also throwing off the receivers. Another clear example was that Pierce out of bounds catch near the end of the game for that first down. He almost dropped it because it was a perfect spiral that was coming in HOT and he juggled it prior to catching it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Both picks were on AR.  AP was open and AR overthrew.  AR didn't have to throw the ball to a covered Pittman, and if Pittman was a step ahead when AR released the ball, then the ball was placed behind Pittman, forcing him to slow down into the trailing LBer. 

There must be some strange limitation to JT that fans don't understand, because Frank also used him in a weird rotation.  I think its about pass blocking, and he whiffed badly early in the game, and the formula says that when a team is behind late in the 4th, the passing game takes precedence despite the performance of the RB through three Qs.  Just a guess.

The first pick was a bad throw and read pierce really wasnt open on that the second one i somewhat agree is on him cause he stared down his reciever you cant do that it will be a pick every time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IinD said:

Not to pile on AR but I agree I didn't like the 'Pouty Face' after that drive where he sat on the cooler. Hopefully it's because he's just young and trying to hard. 

Hopefully he somehow learns the 'touch' part of passing because he really does have a cannon arm. I think that's also throwing off the receivers. Another clear example was that Pierce out of bounds catch near the end of the game for that first down. He almost dropped it because it was a perfect spiral that was coming in HOT and he juggled it prior to catching it. 

Ya well that will come by him getting a personal QB coach all of his problems are fixable with the proper coaching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Everyone knows TEs are young QBs top security blankets and frankly despite all the hype this offseason they’ve been underwhelming so far. We have Mo that makes like 1 catch a game then effs off the rest of the game. Granson who slips a lot and drops so many catchable passes. I really hope Mallory gets some snaps he has good hands and has looked decent when he did that play.

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Believe you’ll have to watch a replay of the game.  I saw it…but then, I’m a known liar, so …

What happened to all the reaction emojis? Like the laughing one?

4 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

"I'm a freak of nature" -AR. Before every downfall comes pride.  There's too much hype on what "can be". The whole organization is letting this young man down by hyping him up and then doing literally nothing to help him out on any side of the ball.

It's not just on the team. AR also said "Mahomes is in his way" and that "the world can't stop him" if he can hit the layups like Tom Brady. 

I am all for some good trash-talking, but the overall hype around AR just doesn't seem serious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nevbot said:

It isn't necessarily a weird throwing motion but just kind of looks a bit raw and home made.  Rivers had a weird throwing motion.  I don't think the throwing motion matters so much if you can get it out of your hands quickly, and you're tall enough to fling it over big humans. 

I really have been watching this aspect closely this year and will continue to watch, as AR is nowhere close to a refined passer yet. He had a full offseason to do whatever he needed to do to tweak any sloppy mechanics with Tom House (after rehabbing of course), had a full training camp with Steichen- but I don't see too much of a difference in AR mechanically as a passer compared to his limited action last year- in fact sometimes it feels like regression. His throwing base and platform are not solid, he feet are very happy (not Peyton happy, where choppy pocket movement is productive).

His footwork and mental timing are the clear and obvious issues here, and that would explain why he looks at his worst for all of the short and intermediate stuff.  Those are the cerebral and quick decision plays that usually are split second or pre determined- and its no surprise that his INT's are coming from those same first-read misfire type of decisions.

I wouldn't mess around too much if at all with Anthony's throwing mechanics.  He has a fast release and naturally changes his arm angles when necessary (perhaps needs to learn the ideal moments to apply each arm angle, but he is a natural at doing it). I would absolutely work on cleaning up his footwork and touch passing and hammer away at it.  No rapport with Pittman, as he is our best possession receiver.

Sometimes being the most dynamic athlete can be a bad thing for the QB position. They know they can run and never truly  settle in the pocket and become that guy who succeeds at QB because because he mastered the mental side and developed the physical aspect over time. Quick processing and a great arm will always be king. Manning is one extreme and AR is another.  Luck was a beautiful balance of both, but was missing the mental drive to WANT to be the best and stay the best. 

Once Anthony has a #1 security blanket (is that Downs or someone not on the roster ala Brock Bowers) I think we see more growth.  That TE is currently not on our roster. 

You don’t think Pittman is AR’s security blanket?   He looks for him and throws to him even when there is blanket coverage on Pitt.  

• Like 1

Idk if any of you guys remember Andrew’s rookie yr but that’s precisely what I’ve seen from AR…  big difference is the team around him

Luck had very dependable vet receiver in Reggie and hadn’t built the crazy chemistry with TY yet, the defense was top 10 that yr!!… and luck still made wild mind numbing decisions but we was able to live with them because we had a better team..

AR has a defense that’s already given up almost half 1000 yds on the ground and can’t cover receivers on 3rd and long, his receivers with exception of Alec, are dropping wide open passes or not giving max effort… oline has been kinda below average but his escapability erases that… Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron aren’t walking through that door so there’s TE security blanket

1 hour ago, Jz0204945 said:

Ya well that will come by him getting a personal QB coach all of his problems are fixable with the proper coaching.

NFL QBs only get a personal QB coach for the 6 weeks in the middle of the off-season.   Roughly the last 3 weeks of June and the first 3 weeks of July.   

But never DURING the season.  

AR has Steichen, Jim Bob, and a coach devoted to the QBs on the roster.  So he’s got plenty of smart minds to help him.  

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It is what it is. Patience people, patience.

This is a great reminder to all Colts fans to be patient. We are a year behind where AR should have been in experience. He’s  a work in progress and will almost certainly improve throughout the season. I think we can all see that this season will be a roller coaster with AR under center. Hang on and don’t give up hope. 

BUT, that said, it is my fervent hope that the Colts dump Gus as DC and draft heavy on D next year. Especially LB, S, and CB. Along with a key FA scoop or two. This D needs a cleansing in the back 7. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

So let the record show that I was not at the time of the draft a fan of picking Anthony Richardson.

that said, after attending training camp last year, I can see the potential and why the Colts chose him. So I have warmed up to him. 

however, I thought id put out what I’ve seen thru two games thus far. Take it for what it’s worth, which it little. Just my opinion.

stats are easily available so I’m not gonna post all those, just general observations.

the Bad:

Timing is not down with most of his receivers. 

short and medium range accuracy still needs a big improvement.

The interceptions, not counting the end of the game today, have all been because he’s stared down or decided where he was going with the ball without seeing the defender. 

Hand offs were a big problem today with the two fumbles. 

the good:

his ability to bounce back after a mistake. 

his pressure escaping ability. Our OL has been getting abused (again wth) and he’s got defenders in his face it seems in every drop back.

long range accuracy. 

running to make a play vs running just to run first like Lamar. This is the part that most worried me coming out of the draft. 

his arm strength. He has 2 of the top 5 longest catches in the next gen stat era and both were over 60 yards.

conclusion:

AR in an interview last offseason stated he wanted to work more on being a pocket passer vs a run first QB that everyone had him pegged as. I think this is part of the reason we have seen the play calling manner that we have seen.  Flacco being brought it strengthens that theory in my opinion. If and this is a big IF, AR can develop that part of his game, he’ll be nearly unstoppable barring health. But he’s got a long ways to go. 

heading into this season, I’ve said multiple times that this is gonna be AR like a rookie all over again. He never got to have a full season so the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. 

there’s gonna be huge swings in his performance but overall, I’ve seen enough so far that I’m not panicking over QB play…. Yet. 

Fair analysis I'd say and I must say, I haven't been this excited to see us since Luck's first year. He simply needs more time and continuity with Steichen and we can have something special. 

• Like 1