Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offense

Smonroe

Was anyone else watching the Ravens and thinking - that’s the Colts offense?

I think JT is a better RB than Henry at this point.  Our receivers are at least as good as theirs.  And, most importantly, our Oline should be way better than theirs.

(Also, I hope AR doesn’t run as much)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think JT is a better RB than Henry at this point.  Our receivers are at least as good as theirs.  And, most importantly, our Oline should be way better than theirs.

I’m fine with AR running as long as it isn’t just tuck the ball and run every snap. Designed stuff or everyone is covered and he can take off freely and slide is okay. 

Baltimore wasn’t using Henry as effectively as they could have. Feel like they left a lot of opportunity out there for PA throws and RPO with the two. As long as we figure out how to use AR/JT properly and together, I think our offense can truly be dangerous. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Our offense could be better.  Ravens WRs outside of Zay Flowers are very meh.  Chiefs picked up on that early and started to stack the box.  I don’t think defenses will be able to do that this year against us.  

Our WRs are better, our OL is better, and offensively, our COACH is better.  

But yes, I agree with you, that could be our offense, just more explosive if everything works how it’s suppose to.

• Like 3

I think one thing was apparent last night.  The Ravens o-line wasn't stellar and Jackson had a spectacular TE in Likely.  I laughed when Collinsworth made a comment about Jackson being a pocket passer and only having to use his legs like Mahomes.  Also laughed when Mahomes had a short pass that was stuffed, Mahomes jumped in the air, and caught his own pass.  Instead of propping up that awesome defensive play, just glazed Mahomes for catching his own pass.....   Hopefully the Colts show a little more on offense than the Ravens, and hopefully our D makes Stroud uncomfortable in the pocket!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think one thing was apparent last night.  The Ravens o-line wasn't stellar and Jackson had a spectacular TE in Likely.  I laughed when Collinsworth made a comment about Jackson being a pocket passer and only having to use his legs like Mahomes.  Also laughed when Mahomes had a short pass that was stuffed, Mahomes jumped in the air, and caught his own pass.  Instead of propping up that awesome defensive play, just glazed Mahomes for catching his own pass.....   Hopefully the Colts show a little more on offense than the Ravens, and hopefully our D makes Stroud uncomfortable in the pocket!

Collinsworthless always has that one guy he glazes no matter what.

28 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

It WAS an awesome play by Mahomes!  What the announcers failed to explain is that it was an awesome play because it resulted in a reception which allowed the clock to keep ticking, versus an incomplete pass which would have stopped the clock leaving more time for the Ravens comeback.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Collinsworthless always has that one guy he glazes no matter what.

Here’s a drinking game that will get you sloshed.  Every time CC says “I gotta tell you…” just take a sip of your favorite beverage.  

Don’t do a shot or you’ll be dead from alcohol poisoning by the end of the first quarter.  

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I don’t want AR running as much. I’m concerned Lamar might get injured that’s too much running for a 17 game season.

I think AR almost HAS to run a bit more, until he gets that timing down with WRs/TEs

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Here’s a drinking game that will get you sloshed.  Every time CC says “I gotta tell you…” just take a sip of your favorite beverage.  

Don’t do a shot or you’ll be dead from alcohol poisoning by the end of the first quarter.  

Idk if I could do that now. I played the Superbad drinking game back in my 20’s, and I thought that was going to kill me. 

• Like 1

AR has to run to make the RPO successful.  He’s bigger than LaMar and as long as he gets into the secondary I think he should be fine.  Our OL is much better and should be more effective than the Ravens OL.   Our offense is better I believe.  Tucker missed a 50 yarder.  No one’s perfect.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At this point in their respective careers, Lamar is probably a better passer than AR.  And that is concerning.

I didn’t think Lamar’s passing was that great.  He gunned in a few but missed quite a few leading a receiver.  At least that’s how I saw it.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At this point in their respective careers, Lamar is probably a better passer than AR.  And that is concerning.

Huh? How’s that concerning AR is basically a rookie and 22. Lamar has been in the league for 6+ years. You make it seem like AR has multiple seasons of no improvements when he only played 4 games lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

AR has to run to make the RPO successful.  He’s bigger than LaMar and as long as he gets into the secondary I think he should be fine.  Our OL is much better and should be more effective than the Ravens OL.   Our offense is better I believe.  Tucker missed a 50 yarder.  No one’s perfect.

Their offense is Lamar.  He carried it 16 times for 122 yard and passed it 41 times.  Yet the only scored two TDs.  

I hope our offense is more balanced and AR doesn’t have to be a one man show.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Their offense is Lamar.  He carried it 16 times for 122 yard and passed it 41 times.  Yet the only scored two TDs.  

I hope our offense is more balanced and AR doesn’t have to be a one man show.  

Yep JT when healthy is a top 3 RB. What Lamar did last night isn’t sustainable and throughout the season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Yep JT when healthy is a top 3 RB. What Lamar did last night isn’t sustainable and throughout the season.

I’m kind of torn on that.  If I remember correctly, Lamar had only a couple called runs and maybe a couple RPO’s?

The rest were him escaping pressure or taking off when he saw a big opening.  It did seem they abandoned the run game with Henry too soon.  

I just hope we’re not in that many passing situations, which means we’re playing from behind.  

Still, the Ravens were an inch from scoring at the end, and Harbaugh was calling for a two point conversion.   Not a horrible outcome against the best team in the league at their house.  If their O line settles in they’re going to be trouble.  

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m kind of torn on that.  If I remember correctly, Lamar had only a couple called runs and maybe a couple RPO’s?

The rest were him escaping pressure or taking off when he saw a big opening.  It did seem they abandoned the run game with Henry too soon.  

I just hope we’re not in that many passing situations, which means we’re playing from behind.  

Still, the Ravens were an inch from scoring at the end, and Harbaugh was calling for a two point conversion.   Not a horrible outcome against the best team in the league at their house.  If their O line settles in they’re going to be trouble.  

I agree there’s going to be moments where there’s huge gaps for AR to take off and run for big gains. I just hope the Colts will be smart about it and and not over due it. We have a good OL and a top tier RB. I really think AR can be special in the RZ with his legs or Arms. Excited about Sunday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After the first drive, offensive play calling very questionable.  Should have got more touches to Henry especially in 2nd half when defense tires.  I get they were stacking the box but you have a 250 pound weapon that you aren't using.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shepman said:

After the first drive, offensive play calling very questionable.  Should have got more touches to Henry especially in 2nd half when defense tires.  I get they were stacking the box but you have a 250 pound weapon that you aren't using.

I thought Henry was slow on the handoffs.  Maybe his line wasn’t opening the holes but I didn’t see him being that effective running.  It goes to show you how important a good OL is.  Their experienced LT Staley lined up incorrectly multiple times as well.    No excuse for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I thought Henry was slow on the handoffs.  Maybe his line wasn’t opening the holes but I didn’t see him being that effective running.  It goes to show you how important a good OL is.  Their experienced LT Staley lined up incorrectly multiple times as well.    No excuse for that.

He did that repeatedly.  I think the refs got tired of calling it.  But he would line up correctly on run plays, which telegraphs the play.  

They’re a good team, they’ll work out those kinks.

We won’t have any of those problems because we’re running it back with all the same players! (he said while laughing facetiously)

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It could be our offense. We'll have to see to find out, because in all honesty we haven't seen enough of all of the pieces playing together to really figure out Shane's full vision. 

I saw plenty last season to know his vision. Adoni and Gould won't be as reliable as Downs was, but Adoni is going to add a few special smiles.

And AR is better prepared now to use Pierce. It's going to be interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I don’t want AR running as much. I’m concerned Lamar might get injured that’s too much running for a 17 game season.

When I started watching the game, I noticed Lamar running and it seemed like a “rerun” from last year…and the year before. 
How often did Mahomies have to run?

If our great players make great plays, AR5 won’t have to run much.

About D. Henry, it’s a good thing he doesn’t run like Mr. Pacheco :omg:

Good starter game for me to watch

and now, I have plans for cold beers, pizzas, buffalo wings, naps, desserts,

hamburgers, and more naps for weekend college and Colts games.

Ah, life is good!

:rock:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not sure why.  Lamar didn't look like a great passer last night, but he has several more years of experience than Richardson.  If Richardson looks like Lamar (passing) in 3 years, I'd be concerned, but not yet for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Not sure why.  Lamar didn't look like a great passer last night, but he has several more years of experience than Richardson.  If Richardson looks like Lamar (passing) in 3 years, I'd be concerned, but not yet for me.

I believe  Richardson  will be better  passer than lamar

• Like 3

The Ravens did run a play I hope we implement. 

Lamar faked a hand-off to Henry who ran right. Lamar went left with the ball. 
The oline pulled left and two linemen rolled out infront of Lamar as blockers. 

They ran it on their first drive I believe. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Concerning?   Isn’t Lamar in his 6th or 7th season?   Isn’t he a 2-time MVP?   Shouldn’t he be way, WAY better than an inexperienced Anthony Richardson who was hurt most of his rookie year?  

Why would any of this be at all concerning?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I thought Henry was slow on the handoffs. 

I also think it’s a change of style.  Chris talked about it.  Henry isn’t used to running out of shotgun and he doesn’t really have the first step speed, he has that momentum type speed that he can build up in other formations.  Seems lamar and Henry got some gelling to do when it comes to that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I disagree I don’t think that’s the Colts offense. The Ravens offense looked very much so like a college type offense and not a pro one. I don’t foresee the Colts to throw as many bubble screens as the Ravens did. I expect there to be more shots down field, and less scrambling than Lamar. If your QB has more rushing yards than your top paid RB does that’s a MAJOR problem. 

14 hours ago, rockywoj said:

It WAS an awesome play by Mahomes!  What the announcers failed to explain is that it was an awesome play because it resulted in a reception which allowed the clock to keep ticking, versus an incomplete pass which would have stopped the clock leaving more time for the Ravens comeback.

That's a very keen observation.  Definitely one I over looked.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 1:40 PM, JediXMan said:

Huh? How’s that concerning AR is basically a rookie and 22. Lamar has been in the league for 6+ years. You make it seem like AR has multiple seasons of no improvements when he only played 4 games lol.

No, you (and probably others) are the one(s) who "make's it seem" like anything else than what I said. 

I'm well aware of the disparity in experience.  I'm not comparing the QBs head to head.  I'm comparing only passing prowess between two QBs,  One could be age 40 and age 20.

From what we saw today I think it’s pretty clear the full playbook still isn’t open to AR. Not that I expected it to be, but we didn’t see a single throw to JT in space for instance. I also thought the running game was really unimaginative which really disappointed me since that should’ve been one of our strengths with AR and JT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

From what we saw today I think it’s pretty clear the full playbook still isn’t open to AR. Not that I expected it to be, but we didn’t see a single throw to JT in space for instance. I also thought the running game was really unimaginative which really disappointed me since that should’ve been one of our strengths with AR and JT. 

Exactly.  Their gameplan was what I was hoping to see from the Colts.  When you can run the ball effectively, you control the clock and everything is easier.  

Also, CJ is a great QB.  Not saying AR isn’t but they’re on different levels.  CJ has played a lot more in college and the pros.  AR will get there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think just because we didn’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not open. Steichen might of just called a bad game.