Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts kicker Matt Gay dealing with groin injury; status for Sunday opener versus Houston uncertain

HOZER

Not signing a reliable back up kicker in light of this news is the biggest faux pas by Ballard.    You can't expect a college kid with a shaky college career to be your backup kicker.   The kid has a monster leg,  but can't be trusted with the game on the line.   I feel like Yoshinator jinxed us.  Lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Not signing a reliable back up kicker in light of this news is the biggest faux pas by Ballard.    You can't expect a college kid with a shaky college career to be your backup kicker.   The kid has a monster leg,  but can't be trusted with the game on the line.   I feel like Yoshinator jinxed us.  Lol

seems Ballard is racking those up. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Gay might kick Sunday. Steichen said he has been kicking. Downs is the only one ruled out.

If he isn’t 100% he shouldn’t be out there Colts are playing with fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Gay might kick Sunday. Steichen said he has been kicking. Downs is the only one ruled out.

and then, when Gay shanks it, they all can say... oh well, it's because he's hurt

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 4:22 PM, NorthernColt said:

Never understood the issue this front office had with Chase Mclaughlin. At every turn they were shoe horning every kicker to take his job. He was so reliable. His ball was ugly, but it always went it. Been solid with the Bucs too.

ballard thought gay was better

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If he really had a hernia operation, then I don't get it. I'd love to get more info, because something doesn't make sense.

Yeah, there’s no way he’s gonna be ready Sunday, or any immediate Sunday unless he had the most minor surgery in the history or hernias. What are we gonna do Sunday, carry 2 kickers on game day? 

Surely to god they’re not trying to play coy and being cute with a kicker, but there’s not actually any other reasonable explanation for why this is unfolding this way. 

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah, there’s no way he’s gonna be ready Sunday, or any immediate Sunday unless he had the most minor surgery in the history or hernias. What are we gonna do Sunday, carry 2 kickers on game day? 

Surely to god they’re not trying to play coy and being cute with a kicker, but there’s not actually any other reasonable explanation for why this is unfolding this way. 

Just a question who’s our emergency kicker if Matt Gay is inactive and the new guy gets injured?

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

They probably are trying to play coy with the kicker. Steichen purposely brushes off questions about injuries, and my thinking is it's specifically so he can avoid giving up any more information than is required. It annoys me because he's cagey even when I don't think he needs to be, and because none of the reporters push back on him about it.

However, this feels a little different. The reports were that Gay had surgery. I think Matt Gay specifically said the word surgery. But I think the team's official report was that he had "a procedure." When Steichen was asked on Wednesday whether it was the kicking leg, or whether Gay had surgery, his answer was: "I'm not going to go into details on that." Today, Steichen said Gay has kicked, but then Gay's a DNP on the injury practice report. When asked if Gay is a gametime decision, the answer was "we'll see," with a dismissive shrug. So it's fair to say there's some inconsistencies in what we're being told.

If Gay had surgery for a hernia -- either sports hernia or traditional hernia -- then none of this makes sense. It's typically a six week recovery. Some athletes come back after 3-4 weeks. I don't see how he'd be able to kick at all within a week or so of the operation, let alone in a game. If he had some other "procedure" that is different from the typical hernia surgery that athletes typically undergo, that might be a different story. He could have had a colonoscopy for all we know; that's "a procedure," and he might not want to practice for a couple days after that one.

I don't mean to make a federal case out of this. But something doesn't make sense, and it seems to go beyond the usual coyness of injury reporting. Someone might even be lying. To what end, I don't know. Like you said, it's the kicker, it's not like it's our #1 receiver.... Or maybe someone just misspoke and everything is being blown out of proportion, but even then, why not just clear it up? 

What would be really dumb would be to activate Gay, it becomes obvious right away that he can't perform, and then we don't have a kicker for the rest of the game. I can't see that happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Just a question who’s our emergency kicker if Matt Gay is inactive and the new guy gets injured?

I would think it might be Rigo? Unless there’s someone else who has some kicking experience. Didn’t a WR try one in a game a few years back, or wasn’t there one lobbying to kick one?

7 hours ago, Superman said:

They probably are trying to play coy with the kicker. Steichen purposely brushes off questions about injuries, and my thinking is it's specifically so he can avoid giving up any more information than is required. It annoys me because he's cagey even when I don't think he needs to be, and because none of the reporters push back on him about it.

However, this feels a little different. The reports were that Gay had surgery. I think Matt Gay specifically said the word surgery. But I think the team's official report was that he had "a procedure." When Steichen was asked on Wednesday whether it was the kicking leg, or whether Gay had surgery, his answer was: "I'm not going to go into details on that." Today, Steichen said Gay has kicked, but then Gay's a DNP on the injury practice report. When asked if Gay is a gametime decision, the answer was "we'll see," with a dismissive shrug. So it's fair to say there's some inconsistencies in what we're being told.

If Gay had surgery for a hernia -- either sports hernia or traditional hernia -- then none of this makes sense. It's typically a six week recovery. Some athletes come back after 3-4 weeks. I don't see how he'd be able to kick at all within a week or so of the operation, let alone in a game. If he had some other "procedure" that is different from the typical hernia surgery that athletes typically undergo, that might be a different story. He could have had a colonoscopy for all we know; that's "a procedure," and he might not want to practice for a couple days after that one.

I don't mean to make a federal case out of this. But something doesn't make sense, and it seems to go beyond the usual coyness of injury reporting. Someone might even be lying. To what end, I don't know. Like you said, it's the kicker, it's not like it's our #1 receiver.... Or maybe someone just misspoke and everything is being blown out of proportion, but even then, why not just clear it up? 

What would be really dumb would be to activate Gay, it becomes obvious right away that he can't perform, and then we don't have a kicker for the rest of the game. I can't see that happening.

I don’t mind playing coy, but yeah. Kicker is probably the only position that I feel like there’s really no point to it. Whether it’s Gay, Shrader, or one of us out there Sunday it’s not going to make a bit of difference in how the other team prepares. We’re just playing games with ourselves. 

I can’t see them trotting Gay out there injured. More kicking woes are only going to reflect poorly, but more than that we’ve already got a bit of a rep for putting hurt players in bad positions. There was the suggestion during the Taylor drama that they rushed him back from his ankle injury, there was some scuttle that we did the same with Leonard, and even as far back as Luck when Pagano just brushed aside the idea of him getting steamrolled out there. 

This whole thing has been one of the more head scratching ordeals I can remember.

Getting a hernia is not necessary related to something someone did wrong.  From birth the male body is more acceptable to having hernias later in life.  

This is something I have delt with the last few weeks.  I had a hernia happen to me a few weeks ago.  Believe me it is very painful and takes a couple of different kinds of procedures to repair.  

• Like 2

The way the Colts are handling his injury is so annoying.There’s no element of surprise. Colts fans know he’s not playing, Texans as well. Let him sit until he’s healthy enough to play without the risk of reinjury.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hoose said:

Hard to believe Gay could be out there that soon. And even if he was, the risk of reinjury is very high. I suspect the kid will be kicking for the next few weeks. 

Any sudden jerking motions could tear the stiches

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What happens if Shrader balls out and kicks a game winning fieldgoal? Gay to the IR while we wait and see how Shrader does moving forward? 

That would be my plan. If anyone cared to ask. 😬

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

That would be my plan. If anyone cared to ask. 😬

I don’t know how you can try and force Gay back in. Shrader would be picked up quickly and if Gay struggles, it would end badly… I would try and bide time as much as possible to evaluate Shrader and make sure we aren’t losing a longterm franchise kicker for what many on here say is an overpaid and aging one.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know how you can try and force Gay back in. Shrader would be picked up quickly and if Gay struggles, it would end badly… I would try and bide time as much as possible to evaluate Shrader and make sure we aren’t losing a longterm franchise kicker for what many on here say is an overpaid and aging one.

So you think Shane is going to force him to kick if he’s not ready.  Why would you think that? 

On 9/6/2024 at 4:46 PM, Superman said:

If he really had a hernia operation, then I don't get it. I'd love to get more info, because something doesn't make sense.

Did he or the Colts say when he had this surgery or procedure? Is it possible that he had an offseason hernia surgery earlier than we are thinking and is now dealing with a setback in his recovery?

While I'm not a professional athlete and I'm old as hades this hernia is nothing to take lightly. 

I had surgery to repair a 6 inch hernia 4 weeks ago.  It was very painful and it takes at least 8 weeks before I can lift anything over 10 lbs.  I found out that males are more prone to have hernias because of how our bodies develop before birth. 

Just some information.