Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Richardson Film Study

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

This is why we should be very good on Offense this season.

Please don't feed our many TROLLS. Thanks

He looks good to great. I think he has tons of potential to be great.  But I also foresee some very up and down moments in the next couple of years. IF the colts are patient and IF he can stay healthy, we may have something. 

• Like 2

I’m seeing a lot of hot takes all over social media that “He’s not a QB”. Seems like the rest of the NFL is already writing him off. 

I don’t think fans will give him much grace in the patience department either unfortunately…

But, I don’t think Ballard and Irsay have the same viewpoint. They believe they have something special and understand it will take time to be fully realized. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’m seeing a lot of hot takes all over social media that “He’s not a QB”. Seems like the rest of the NFL is already writing him off. 

I don’t think fans will give him much grace in the patience department either unfortunately…

But, I don’t think Ballard and Irsay have the same viewpoint. They believe they have something special and understand it will take time to be fully realized. 

It's because a lot of people don't watch our team. They have no clue. I guarantee he will have a better season than Will Levis. LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Hopefully Steichen and AR are patient too. Football experts seem to like AR. I have not seen too many experts down on AR. It seems like it is the fans that are saying he is not a QB. They also put down Josh Allen, Jordan Love, Lamar Jackson and many others. If it was up to fans, Mahomes and Dak would have never played in the NFL. They prefer pocket QBs like Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers, and perhaps Stroud. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

To be fair and completely honest, I didn’t either. I was not a fan of drafting him last year, I didn’t want any of the first 4 honestly. None of them stood out to me. 

I carried that thought process all the way to training camp last year. I happened to be in between jobs and had the time, so I went to most of the public practices. Seeing him in person, from the first practice to last day and how much he improved in that short time, plus how hard he was working on his footwork in the pocket and on his short range accuracy issues, even seeing him staying after most had left and the fields cleared, showed me enough to change my initial mind. If he continues to put this amount of work in, then he’s got a chance.

thing is, most don’t have the ability to do what I did

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hopefully Steichen and AR are patient too. Football experts seem to like AR. I have not seen too many experts down on AR. It seems like it is the fans are saying he is not a QB. They also put down Josh Allen, Jordan Love, Lamar Jackson and many others. If it was up to fans, Mahomes and Dak would have never played in the NFL. They prefer pocket QBs like Stafford, Cousins, Rodgers, and perhaps Stroud. 

Fans wanna see gun slingers pick apart the D, kind of the same reason RBs have gone way down in value

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

His biggest thing (obviously) is staying healthy.  Nobody reaches their potential from the sidelines.

I’m not expecting him to set the world on fire.  All young QBs have rough patches.  But everybody just needs to be patient.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

"Here's to Anthony Richardson having a healthy 2024 season and beyond." 

And all of Colts Nation said...

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Fans wanna see gun slingers pick apart the D, kind of the same reason RBs have gone way down in value

That might be the case. I think AR can be a gunslinger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

This fan wants to see us running it down their throat in the 4th Q, milking the lead and wearing their D out.  

I assume teams will load the box at the start of the game, daring AR to throw and daring our receivers to get open.  That’s when AR will have to control the game, like he did in his limited time last season.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's because a lot of people don't watch our team. They have no clue. I guarantee he will have a better season than Will Levis. LOL.

he should be at least better than levis, i am hoping he comes close to being as good as stroud so we can be competitive with the texans

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I know I'm in the minority, fandom-wise, on this, but I love seeing an offense hand the ball off on every play, march right down the field and completely crush the will of the defense as the offense takes it right in for an easy touchdown.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I know I'm in the minority, fandom-wise, on this, but I love seeing an offense hand the ball off on every play, march right down the field and completely crush the will of the defense as the offense takes it right in for an easy touchdown.

Especially when it's someone like Mahomes or Burrow just sitting there on the sidelines....nothing they can do about it!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pelt said:

With Taylor and AR, I am with you. Amen brother.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guarantee he will have a better season than Will Levis.

I don't know. Levis has a head coach that is allowing him to go all out and be the gunslinger that @csmopar said fans like. Levis had one of the lowest completion percentages but he had the most air yards of any QB last year, I believe. (Air yards = gunslinging 😂)

I am the opposite of most fans. I usually prefer game managers over gunslingers. I like QBs who understand football situations and understand that if the goal is to burn the clock, running the ball, staying inbounds, etc is more effective than slinging the ball down the field. Aaron Rodgers was very good at understanding football situations.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. Levis has a head coach that is allowing him to go all out and be the gunslinger that @csmopar said fans like. Levis had one of the lowest completion percentages but he had the most air yards of any QB last year, I believe. (Air yards = gunslinging 😂)

I am the opposite of most fans. I usually prefer game managers over gunslingers. I like QBs who understand football situations and understand that if the goal is to burn the clock, running the ball, staying inbounds, etc is more effective than slinging the ball down the field. Aaron Rodgers was very good at understanding football situations.

Levis may throw for more yards but when you combine passing and running yards, my money would be on AR.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

brady was the best at it imo

On 8/31/2024 at 9:57 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Im expecting him to be very up and down. This is essentially his rookie season. There are going to be bumps in the road but overall I think the good will outweigh the bad.

• Like 1

He will be fine in the short time he played last year he didn't turn it over very much so as long as he doesnt have a crap load of turnovers this season then the Colts should be in just about every game as long as the defense isnt still the big play machine it was last year.

1958-OT-TD.jpg.b08ffcc92c0aa30f402a1ad3cf2d1264.jpg

On 8/31/2024 at 3:53 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

Unitas was the Best…

(1958 Championship Game. Unitas handed off to Alan Ameche who scored. Lenny Moore blocking on the left of the picture)

• Like 2

AR just turned 22. The way I see it is he needs to develop his passing game tremendously if he wants to be a starter past 30ish. So as of right now, we have a 6-8yr window with him until his athleticism is gone. Even less if they subject him to a lot of running, which I think they should.

Was not a fan of this pick at QB when it happened and still not to this day. I’m concerned he will get caught in a viscous cycle of having to run too much while his arm develops causing him to get injured and not get the reps he needs to learn to pass. However, I still see his insane amount of potential and trust the Colts organization to have a plan for developing him. Between his work ethic and tremendous coaching staff, all the pieces are there for this to happen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

AR just turned 22. The way I see it is he needs to develop his passing game tremendously if he wants to be a starter past 30ish. So as of right now, we have a 6-8yr window with him until his athleticism is gone. Even less if they subject him to a lot of running, which I think they should.

Was not a fan of this pick at QB when it happened and still not to this day. I’m concerned he will get caught in a viscous cycle of having to run too much while his arm develops causing him to get injured and not get the reps he needs to learn to pass. However, I still see his insane amount of potential and trust the Colts organization to have a plan for developing him. Between his work ethic and tremendous coaching staff, all the pieces are there for this to happen. 

You think AR at 30 won’t be able to run anymore? 

19 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

AR isn’t the same type of “running” QB as a Lamar Jackson type in my opinion. Him being mobile is part of his game but not the main feature.  He doesn’t need his mobile game for long term success, but it’s going to help tremendously in the short term. 

I think his arm talent and his pocket feel are honestly his best attributes. Both of which should translate well as he gets older. You definitely don’t prevent him from using his legs, but I don’t think Colts would have drafted him if all they saw was his legs. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:53 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

He may have but I wonder how he would have done had he gone to the Jets or the Browns. I believe that people over-value the QB position. I think what is most important is having a strong offensive line and good receivers to make the QB successful. A team must have a competent QB, but having a strong OL and strong weapons to support the QB is crucial. 

The person in this video below explains it well. (Link below) The video is titled "The NFL Overvalues Quarterbacks". He argues that it is a good passing game rather than a good QB that makes a team successful. I completely agree with him. 

The NFL Over-Values Quarterbacks

If the Colts' OL is strong, I expect AR to be successful. I think the addition of Mitchell will help him a lot.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You think AR at 30 won’t be able to run anymore? 

Not effective enough to overcome a deficiency in passing ability. He will need to develop that side of his game before then. Like I said, all the pieces are there for him to become a great QB. All we can do is wait and see. 

2 hours ago, cjwhiskers said:

AR isn’t the same type of “running” QB as a Lamar Jackson type in my opinion. Him being mobile is part of his game but not the main feature.  He doesn’t need his mobile game for long term success, but it’s going to help tremendously in the short term. 

I think his arm talent and his pocket feel are honestly his best attributes. Both of which should translate well as he gets older. You definitely don’t prevent him from using his legs, but I don’t think Colts would have drafted him if all they saw was his legs. 

I expect AR to run a lot at the beginning and it slowly changes into his athleticism is used to extend plays and move the chains when plays break down. He does have insane arm ability and great pocket awareness. If he improves his accuracy and reading defenses, we will have one of the best QBs in the league. If…. All we can do is wait and see what happens while he plays the game. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not effective enough to overcome a deficiency in passing ability. He will need to develop that side of his game before then. Like I said, all the pieces are there for him to become a great QB. All we can do is wait and see. 

If he hasn’t developed a strong passing game within a few seasons, he won’t be on the field… let alone by 30. But I thoroughly disagree that his running ability will just disappear by 30. He might not be a 4.4 player (debatable) but he’ll still be more athletic than most of the qb’s over 30 that we’ve seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I expect AR to run a lot at the beginning and it slowly changes into his athleticism is used to extend plays and move the chains when plays break down. He does have insane arm ability and great pocket awareness. If he improves his accuracy and reading defenses, we will have one of the best QBs in the league. If…. All we can do is wait and see what happens while he plays the game. 

Now you're talking.

Think about this.

If Granson had just turned and caught that pass we would have still been rolling instead of giving a free TD.

If indeed Adoni was supposed to run a 18 yard route instead of cutting it at 14, a good chance (with his great hands) he would have caught that crosser and been rolling, rather than making AR look stupid.

With those two plays having succeeded, I believe so much of the doubt talk would be much more WOW talk.

Steichen, Jim Bob, and AR have what it takes to get us to being a excellent offensive team. 

Interesting this morning on GMF Ron Rivera talked about his early coaching record that included him losing so many games by 6 points or less.

So he goes to see his friend John Madden who just tells him to go back and study all these losses. So he does and he creates this 20 page document and goes to see Madden. He gives Madden this report, Madden asks what's this. Rivera explains, but Madden says I don't need this, you do.

The bottom line, Rivera was playing it too safe, going by the old book. Punting rather than going for it. That change soon helped Rivera win two Coach of the Year Awards.

Think about Philly a couple years ago. INCREDIBLE on 4th down.

We are going to be in a lot of exciting, close games this year.

And Yes interceptions, fumbles, penalties may leave us pointing the finger at some lost games.

But our successes on 3rd and 4th downs will be what separates us. lol

Gonna be awhile before we forget how last season ended.

It's time to get pumped up because we have GREAT HORSES in the stall!

Some are like very Talented Two Year olds and still need some training, but there are High Quality Stallions alongside ready to show them how to run.

And I believe we have a top Head Trainer who has some sidekicks that are Studs in their own right!

Let's getter done, Go Colts! :td: :colts:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If he hasn’t developed a strong passing game within a few seasons, he won’t be on the field… let alone by 30. But I thoroughly disagree that his running ability will just disappear by 30. He might not be a 4.4 player (debatable) but he’ll still be more athletic than most of the qb’s over 30 that we’ve seen. 

A decent comp could be Cam Newton. He had a decent passing game but definitely hit a wall around 30 when he lost his athleticism. Injuries really added up over time for him as well. I really do hope AR develops into an above average to elite passer. Would really carry his career and the Colts for at least a decade if not more. Will be fun to watch if it happens!!

34 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

A decent comp could be Cam Newton. He had a decent passing game but definitely hit a wall around 30 when he lost his athleticism. Injuries really added up over time for him as well. I really do hope AR develops into an above average to elite passer. Would really carry his career and the Colts for at least a decade if not more. Will be fun to watch if it happens!!

Athletically I can see the similarities but I think AR will be a much better quarterback and I know that's saying something. We talk about his accuracy issues but I think its less he isn't accurate and more about his consistency. When he uses correct mechanics dude can sling it and fit very tight windows. Regardless, really excited to see how he turns out. I think we can all agree that health will be the biggest factor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjwhiskers said:

Athletically I can see the similarities but I think AR will be a much better quarterback and I know that's saying something. We talk about his accuracy issues but I think its less he isn't accurate and more about his consistency. When he uses correct mechanics dude can sling it and fit very tight windows. Regardless, really excited to see how he turns out. I think we can all agree that health will be the biggest factor.

I believe you are right about the consistency of mechanics. Let’s hope he can maintain discipline when he is rushed. Guys tend to break down when the pass rush closes in. Will be killer if we get to watch him grow into an elite player. 

• Like 1

I forget how much faster AR is than most of the players on the field when he runs. 

I hope he gets back to the accurate throws, and the sailing/overthrows come back down. 

Lastly, I hope him getting hurt doesn't mess with him psychologically and he's not afraid to run. 

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I forget how much faster AR is than most of the players on the field when he runs. 

I hope he gets back to the accurate throws, and the sailing/overthrows come back down. 

Lastly, I hope him getting hurt doesn't mess with him psychologically and he's not afraid to run. 

If AR can develop consistent short-intermediate accuracy, he will be a good QB.

I think teams will sit back and make him move the ball that way. Limit the big plays and wait for AR to either make a mistake or for the defense to make a play.

And if he can exploit that, then it opens up the full playbook because teams won’t be able to do that anymore. 

Anthony's main issue accuracy wise is due to that fastball of his. You can see that he's putting so much torque into his throws that the football actually rises as it reaches the target. It's why his throws are so high above receivers sometimes. 

Having a high velocity is a good thing for preventing defenders from intercepting you, however he's going to need to develop touch. And that's just something that's going to take experience to get right, because it's all about timing. 

The good news is he's already showing an understanding of throwing his receivers open. As he gets older he'll be able to have a better feel for each receiver and how fast they are. 

Hopefully he learns not to let up on certain plays like that rushing TD against the Texans. That play still annoys me DB wasn’t going to stop him or make him fumble but now he knows the NFL is different when it comes to that.