Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

Just now, Superman said:

My point was that even if he did ask to be released, he was under contract. I don't think they'd let a player they like leave just because he asked. 

And I don't think that's what happened.

I just remember Nyheim Hines I was confused why they let him go and then he came on out and said that he asked to be let go that's all, y'all be trying to win so many pointless battles in this forum it's not even funny

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Baker played well in the preseason - against backup QBs and WRs.  I thought the plan for Abraham was to be Kenny's backup.  Do we even have a slot corner to back him up now?

But I get it, this roster isn't going to be the one we see on opening day.

A dedicated nickel backup is a luxury we probably can't afford. He probably would have had to show the ability to play boundary to beat out one of the other guys.

Just now, Boss7894 said:

I just remember Nyheim Hines I was confused why they let him go and then he came on out and said that he asked to be let go that's all, y'all be trying to win so many pointless battles in this forum it's not even funny

I don't know why you think I'm trying to win a battle. You asked a question, I responded sincerely. If it came across as snarky, that was not my intention. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can’t see the Colts going with only three running backs.  Nor 10 OL and DL.  I think new additions will be coming on board.

Same. I think I had it at 9 and 9. I know Ballard loves his linemen, but we're thin at RB. I also think six WRs is overkill, and maybe that changes if Downs is ready by Week 1.

Goodson over Hull I'm not surprised by. Goodson outplayed Hull in preseason imo. He seemed WAY more explosive.

Ehlinger over Bean I don't really understand. Sam is what he is at this point, theres no real upside with him given his arm strength. Personally, I feel like it be better to keep Bean, as you can still run alot of the college style plays with QB designed runs, RPOs and option plays, without him having to throw the ball down the field all that much, but still sustain drives.

I definitely expect us to make ATLEAST 1 CB claim and 1 Safety claim, but I don't quite understand keeping 10 OL and 10 DL, while only keeping 5 CB off the bat. Whos to say the DBs we want to claim, even make it to us, and the guys we waived, get claimed. What then? We really roll into the season with 5 CBs? Not likely of course, but seems unnecessarily reckless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well, I see they waived bean. That’s a mistake in my opinion.

Only thing I can think is Sam knows the offense and AR goes to him for help.

I read on this board that Flacco doesn't like to help rookie QBs

• Like 1

Just now, NorthernColt said:

Goodson over Hull I'm not surprised by. Goodson outplayed Hull in preseason imo. He seemed WAY more explosive.

Ehlinger over Bean I don't really understand. Sam is what he is at this point, theres no real upside with him given his arm strength. Personally, I feel like it be better to keep Bean, as you can still run alot of the college style plays with QB designed runs, RPOs and option plays, without him having to throw the ball down the field all that much, but still sustain drives.

I definitely expect us to make ATLEAST 1 CB claim and 1 Safety claim, but I don't quite understand keeping 10 OL and 10 DL, while only keeping 5 CB off the bat. Whos to say the DBs we want to claim, even make it to us, and the guys we waived, get claimed. What then? We really roll into the season with 5 CBs? Not likely of course, but seems unnecessarily reckless.

Of the 10 on each side of the line, there are Bryan and Pinter that could be cut to make room for the CB and S you propose, both are expendable.

By the way on Bean, I don't think that's a season-defining decision in any way. It's QB3, and keeping the established guy for now is defensible. But I think Bean did everything he needed to do, and I see more potential in him to be a good QB2 than I see in Ehlinger. 

I don't think it's a big deal. There are other decisions with these cuts that I don't like, also. I think Treadwell -- who I thought was a throwaway signing on the eve of camp -- outplayed Dulin, and I don't get it with Dulin to begin with. I don't understand keeping Taven Bryan. Etc. But I don't think any of these cuts are critically important to the team's chances. 

• Like 4

Glad to see we kept both Tucker and Pinter. a bit surprised with Evan Hull cut, otherwise, as I pretty much expected.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the end of cuts, with some signings coming soon. Should get most of these bubble players back on PS.

Just now, Superman said:

Same. I think I had it at 9 and 9. I know Ballard loves his linemen, but we're thin at RB. I also think six WRs is overkill, and maybe that changes if Downs is ready by Week 1.

There was a suggested trade on Bleacher Report today for each team.  The one for the Colts was trading a seventh round pick to the Panthers for running back Miles Sanders reuniting him with Steichen and becoming JT’s backup.  He has a 7m cap hit.  27 years old.  And here we are with only three.

Just now, Creekside said:

What is the difference between being cut and being waved ?

Players who are not "vested veterans" are subject to waivers. That means other teams can submit a claim for that player, and rather than becoming a free agent, the team will assume that player's contract and he will be added to their roster. Players who clear waivers become free agents.

Players who are "vested veterans" are not subject to waivers. They are cut/released, rather than waived, and they become free agents immediately. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the way on Bean, I don't think that's a season-defining decision in any way. It's QB3, and keeping the established guy for now is defensible. But I think Bean did everything he needed to do, and I see more potential in him to be a good QB2 than I see in Ehlinger. 

I don't think it's a big deal. There are other decisions with these cuts that I don't like, also. I think Treadwell -- who I thought was a throwaway signing on the eve of camp -- outplayed Dulin, and I don't get it with Dulin to begin with. I don't understand keeping Taven Bryan. Etc. But I don't think any of these cuts are critically important to the team's chances. 

I’m with you on Treadwell.  I thought he played well enough to beat him out on the offensive end.  Don’t remember seeing him on ST’s though?  That could have been the difference?

Just now, twfish said:

Btw don’t forget all the roster will likely change a fair bit over the next week.

Exactly.  Ballard and his crew are going through all the cuts and waiver wires.  I expect a few changes over the next week 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Players who are not "vested veterans" are subject to waivers. That means other teams can submit a claim for that player, and rather than becoming a free agent, the team will assume that player's contract and he will be added to their roster. Players who clear waivers become free agents.

Players who are "vested veterans" are not subject to waivers. They are cut/released, rather than waived, and they become free agents immediately. 

Thanks. I thought something like that, but some posters are using the term "cut" for some who were "waved". 

4 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I’m with you on Treadwell.  I thought he played well enough to beat him out on the offensive end.  Don’t remember seeing him on ST’s though?  That could have been the difference?

I definitely don't know anything about who played STs this preseason, or how they did. That could easily be the difference. But honestly, I think it was Dulin vs Treadwell, and this staff loves Dulin, so that was to be expected. 

3 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Thanks. I thought something like that, but some posters are using the term "cut" for some who were "waved". 

In most cases there's no practical difference from a fan standpoint. But yeah, it can get confusing. That's why the teams specify when they make the moves.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

I definitely don't know anything about who played STs this preseason, or how they did. That could easily be the difference. But honestly, I think it was Dulin vs Treadwell, and this staff loves Dulin, so that was to be expected. 

Some club will reach out to Treadwell and offer him a spot for sure. Hoping Hull sneaks through,some teams may have concerns over his injury, Goodson has played very well and he played very well last season also, I expect a solid year from him.

I really don't get why everyone is so surprised the colts chose Sam over Bean. I understand the "upside" argument as Bean is fresh meat around the league and his ceiling is unknown and could be better than Sam....but by all accounts by the limited snaps Bean played and not knowing the full playbook as well as Sam does is why they chose to stick with consistency. *shrugs*. I never felt Sam would be cut unless one of those two rookies showed something absolutely off the charts in both the practice field, the game field, and meetings..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I really don't get why everyone is so surprised the colts chose Sam over Bean. I understand the "upside" argument as Bean is fresh meat around the league and his ceiling is unknown and could be better than Sam....but by all accounts by the limited snaps Bean played and not knowing the full playbook as well as Sam does is why they chose to stick with consistency. *shrugs*. I never felt Sam would be cut unless one of those two rookies showed something absolutely off the charts in both the practice field, the game field, and meetings..

None of us knows what happened on the practice field or in meetings. But during games, Bean was very good.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Only surprise to me are Baker and Bryan making the team, but I expect post cut moves

Season 7 Please GIF by The Office

Hopefully Baker doesn’t play any meaningful snaps besides special teams.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Honestly, sometimes it feels like guys have to come in here and play like super stars just to beat out the back-ups' back-ups.

I don’t know of many that have been cut down that went on to become superstars with other teams, but there may be a couple.  We all know Ballard likes his guys - for better or worse.