Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bengals pre-season finale postgame reaction

53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ju Ju Jones is going to be an all pro someday.

They said on the broadcast last night the Colts thought Jones was going to be a super star back there one day.  This is why you let the young kids play and take the growing pains and why draft status no longer matters once you get on the field.  If you can play you can play it doesn’t matter where you were drafted.

21 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson.  

OK.  But AR isn't Lamar Jackson.  And Lamar Jackson isn't AR.

I'm not saying that AR can't fulfill his potential.  I'm just saying that, at this point, it's pretty much all potential.  And, IMO, the first thing he needs to show significant improvement on is his completion percentage on what should be high-percentage passes.  He misses more of these than he should.  And that's something that can badly stunt an aspiring QB's career -- ask Carson Wentz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think, on the after game cam, I see Josh Downs walking with AD. He was walking pretty good with no limp 

Towards the end I think he maybe misses one game he progressing nicely.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

They said the same thing about Lamar Jackson.  

Lamar Jackson came into the pro game with more experience as a 3-year starter at Louisville and a considerably more accomplished college resume, including winning the Heisman. That doesn't mean Anthony Richardson can't have similar success, but he's probably got farther to go than Jackson did out of college. 

What awards and honors did Lamar Jackson win in college?

2018 ACC Athlete of the Year

2017 ACC Player of the Year

2017 ACC Offensive Player of the Year

2016 Heisman Trophy winner

2016 Associated Press Player of the Year

2016 Walter Camp Award winner

2016 Maxwell Award winner

2016 Sporting News Player of the Year

2016 unanimous All-American

2016 ACC Player of the Year

2016 ACC Offensive Player of the Year

Records set by Lamar Jackson

Lamar Jackson's name appears in the FBS record book 19 times, frequently in statistical categories that involve his explosive dual-threat ability as a passer and runner.

Here are the FBS records and rankings held by Jackson:

Most consecutive games throwing for 300 yards and rushing for 100 yards: Two games — Purdue, Sept. 2, 2017; North Carolina, Sept. 9, 2017

Responsible for one of 12 performances in FBS history with 400 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game: 407 passing yards, 162 rushing yards vs. Syracuse, Sept. 9, 2016

Responsible for one of 17 performances in FBS history with 200 yards and rush for 200 yards in the same game: 227 passing yards, 226 rushing yards vs. Texas A&M, Dec. 30, 2015

Responsible for two of the 35 seasons in FBS history with 2,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards: 3,660 passing yards, 1,601 rushing yards in 2017; 3,543 passing yards, 1,571 rushing yards in 2016

One of 17 players in FBS history to pass for 40 touchdowns and rush for 40 touchdowns in a career: 69 passing touchdowns, 50 rushing touchdowns

One of 23 players in FBS history responsible for passing for 200 points and rushing for 200 points in a career: 414 points from passing, 300 points from rushing

One of 47 players in FBS history with 4,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in a career: 9,043 passing yards and 4,132 rushing yards

2017 FBS leader in total offense: 5,261 yards

Sixth, seventh in FBS history in rushing yards in a season by a quarterback: 1,601 rushing yards in 2017, 1,571 rushing yards in 2016

Sixth in FBS history in career rushing yards by a quarterback: 4,132 rushing yards

Seventh in FBS history in career yards per game: 346.7 yards/game

10th, 21st in FBS history in total yards in a season: 5,261 yards in 2017, 5,114 yards in 2016

T-11th, 22nd in FBS history in season yards per game: 404.7 yards/game in 2017, 393.4 yards/game in 2016

T-17th in FBS history in total yards in a game: 610 yards — 411 passing yards, 199 rushing yards vs. Syracuse, Sept. 9, 2016

20th in FBS history in total career yards: 13,175 yards

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2024-01-23/lamar-jackson-college-football-career-stats-highlights-records

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the game was meh, for sure. But I do have some real concerns with Richardson and his accuracy. I mean, there were some very good and some very bad. I know he's still in the learning phase of his career, but he will have to play better against Houston, or we'll lose a crucial game. We last won a season's opener a long time ago. And It's our division rivals. We need this one, and right now, it's not looking good, in my opinion. I'm a huge Colts fan, so I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel good about this one. Right now. Unless Richardson plays out of his mind, and the running game is so good that Richardson doesn't have to win the game for us, that is possible, but the defense would have to play great in return for us to have a chance, I hope we get to Stroud often that would increase our chances. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good grief 

Don't worry about it. When Taylor was in the game, we torched them on the 1st drive and all some focus on is the pick 6 and 1 stinking overthrow. Good Grief is right. Some people don't understand football and don't realize how important Taylor is or Downs for that matter. Also, we ran a vanilla type offense, meaning we didn't let AR run, it was so obvious an 8 yr old would understand this. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, the game was meh, for sure. But I do have some real concerns with Richardson and his accuracy. I mean, there were some very good and some very bad. I know he's still in the learning phase of his career, but he will have to play better against Houston, or we'll lose a crucial game. We last won a season's opener a long time ago. And It's our division rivals. We need this one, and right now, it's not looking good, in my opinion. I'm a huge Colts fan, so I hope I'm wrong, but I don't feel good about this one. Right now. Unless Richardson plays out of his mind, and the running game is so good that Richardson doesn't have to win the game for us, that is possible, but the defense would have to play great in return for us to have a chance, I hope we get to Stroud often that would increase our chances. 

Assuming that our defensive backfield can play roughly around average, I'm really not that concerned about our defense.  Am I confident the backfield can play around average?  No.  I fear that our backfield is going to be a problem all year -- and I certainly hope that I'm wrong about that.

But....*if* they can play average, I think that the front guys should be among the league's best.

That said, I share your concerns about Richardson.  But we have to remember that things really ought to be enhanced by having him and JT in the same backfield.  Our OL should be a Top 10 OL -- which is great news.  And I think our WR room is as good as it's been a number of years...especially when Downs gets back healthy.

• Like 1

The obvious points have been made already

I thought Jalen Carlies looked solid..... That speed shows up on the field

Its a first game back, but R Davis looked lost on the DL

Our RB depth is very good.  

Our WR depth is very good

If there's any time to make mistakes it's during the preseason. He made some along with some stuff you like to see. The man hasn't even played 5 games yet. Again I remember clearly Andrew Luck being inaccurate early in his career as well. And Peyton threw 28 picks by the time year 1 ended.  Let the guy take his lumps. He's decisive, he knows how to read a D, he makes the right read when he has to adjust to his hot route on the blitz, he goes through his progressions properly, and he doesn't have happy feet. Just needs to keep tight on his mechanics. I think he will.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am thinking we may draft another QB next season like in Round 4 to backup AR, after you take care of your 1st 3 rounds with needs. Sometimes you get lucky and that kind of guy who can be good like a Cousins and Prescott who went in Round 4. Of course, we tried that with Eason and he stunk.

I dont know, Maybe

Respectfully

My hope is that Bean gets QB2 and Slovis QB3, NEXT year

• Like 1

I made a point in my thread saying how much of the threat of JT being out caused things to speed up for the defense? I get we always wanna focus on the negative, but that first drive had plenty of great throws and reads.

-First pass of the game, AR threw a bullet to Pierce with three defenders in the area

-AR read the blitz and made the correct call to get the ball out quick to the hot route to Pierce

--Defender in his face, he throws a perfect pass to Mitchell on the cross route leading to a TD.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We didn’t even use our playbook. The hot takes this morning have me turned off of talking all  things colts. From the media to the silly commenters on Amazon last night suggesting Richardson would be pulled for Flacco mid season.

Agreed

We weren't featuring the full AR5 last night

The threat of him running will    SHOULD open up other parts of our offense

My only concern about AR is, him staying healthy. He does that we will be fine. My prediction of picking how good the Colts will be before each season is almost dead on other than my 2022 mishap. I have almost nailed every prediction since 2018 in here before the season except 2022. I had us going 8-8-1 last season regardless of who the QB was between Minshew and AR, missed by half a game. We will win 10 games this season if AR plays at least 15 games, Flacco is good enough to win a few games if needed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know, Maybe

Respectfully

My hope is that Bean gets QB2 and Slovis QB3, NEXT year

I am on record saying I think Bean is better than Sam, but Sam will make the team IMO. Just knows the system and Ballard loves him and in his last year of his contract. Sam is a great locker room guy as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My only concern about AR is, him staying healthy. He does that we will be fine. My prediction of picking how good the Colts will be before each season is almost dead on other than my 2022 mishap. I have almost nailed every prediction since 2018 in here before the season except 2022. I had us going 8-8-1 last season regardless of who the QB was between Minshew and AR, missed by half a game. We will win 10 games this season if AR plays at least 15 games, Flacco is good enough to win a few games if needed.

Health is the only concern you have about AR?

It obviously needs to be a concern, and probably the top concern.  But I can’t see how anybody wouldn’t be concerned about his completion percentage…especially on easy passes.  Bad passes that should be easy conversions are just as much of a drive killer as bad penalties, WR drops, missed blocking assignments, etc.

It’s a problem for AR.  And it’s OK to acknowledge it as one…so long as it continues to be one.

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Health is the only concern you have about AR?

It obviously needs to be a concern, and probably the top concern.  But I can’t see how anybody wouldn’t be concerned about his completion percentage…especially on easy passes.  Bad passes that should be easy conversions are just as much of a drive killer as bad penalties, WR drops, missed blocking assignments, etc.

It’s a problem for AR.  And it’s OK to acknowledge it as one…so long as it continues to be one.

I am not worried about it, if others are that is fine. I just want him to stay healthy, if he does, IMO he will have a good year. I am not trying to say he is great or anything, but he can have a very productive season even his % is around 58-60. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over in key situations and he has meaningful key big runs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The secondary was " good" because the D line was mauling them....like they should have.

As we expected it would this game. And hopefully that is the case often this year. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not worried about, if others are that is fine. I just want him to stay healthy, if he does, IMO he will have a good year. I am not trying to say he is great or anything, but he can have a very productive season even his % is around 58-60. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over in key situations and he has meaningful key big runs. 

58-60% used to be a decent completion percentage in the NFL but it isn't anymore. Anthony was at 59.5% last year in his short season and that needs to improve because it's at the bottom of the league among starters. The top 25 QBs last year were all above 62.5% and the top 16 were all over 65%. Working with Steichen, he'll get more accurate. The question is how much.  https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-completion-percentage-leaders-2023

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

58-60% used to be a decent completion percentage in the NFL but it isn't anymore. Anthony was at 59.5% last year in his short season and that needs to improve because it's at the bottom of the league among starters. The top 25 QBs last year were all above 62.5% and the top 16 were all over 65%. Working with Steichen, he'll get more accurate. The question is how much.  https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-completion-percentage-leaders-2023

Good point but the way AR can run, he can get away with throwing 60% as long as he doesn't turn it over. If AR had very little running ability, then yes, he would need to be around 63% at least.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think 8 or 9 wins. I think we'll have a slow start, but be dangerous by seasons' end.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Many forget Andrew Luck threw for only 54% in his rookie season and 60.8% for his career. He still won a lot of games because he made big plays when needed with key throws and with his legs. The game has changed so I get it.

That’s horrible! In this league a QB has to complete 90%+ in order the beat the refs. haha 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

That’s horrible! In this league a QB has to complete 90%+ in order the beat the refs. haha 

chuckling homer simpson GIF- too funny. The point I was making earlier was, lets say AR completes only 60% of his passes but he runs for over 10 TD's (he had 4 in 4 games last season), that would make up for his %. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

It depends entirely on the difficulty level of the passes being attempted -- kind of like difficulty ratings on diving in the Olympics.

I don't think it's entirely instructive for us to just look at overall completion percentage.  Not that a problem won't avail itself within that stat.  But it just isn't enough information on its own.  If all AR attempts is deep balls or passes scrambling out of the pocket, then 59% would be outstanding.

I'm not concerned about his ability to make difficult completions.  I'm concerned about his ability to make ones that would be easy for most any NFL quarterback.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

It depends entirely on the difficulty level of the passes being attempted -- kind of like difficulty ratings on diving in the Olympics.

I don't think it's entirely instructive for us to just look at overall completion percentage.  Not that a problem won't avail itself within that stat.  But it just isn't enough information on its own.  If all AR attempts is deep balls or passes scrambling out of the pocket, then 59% would be outstanding.

I'm not concerned about his ability to make difficult completions.  I'm concerned about his ability to make ones that would be easy for most any NFL quarterback.

Good post. 

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think 8 or 9 wins. I think we'll have a slow start, but be dangerous by seasons' end.

We have to remember that Steichen may have different things he did with Minshew to win games but one thing that will be the same and emphasized again is clock control. If we control 3rd downs and keep our improved D (yes, I think they will be improved) fresh, that will keep us competitive in every game including against the best teams of the NFL. That tempo and clock control is all we can ask for. Goes without saying, AR and JT's health are paramount.

• Like 3

Just now, chad72 said:

We have to remember that Steichen may have different things he did with Minshew to win games but one thing that will be the same and emphasized again is clock control. If we control 3rd downs and keep our improved D (yes, I think they will be improved) fresh, that will keep us competitive in every game including against the best teams of the NFL. That tempo and clock control is all we can ask for. Goes without saying, AR and JT's health are paramount.

Health is the key, if we have it, we will be good, if not, we could be bad. My prediction of 10 wins is based on most of our key players staying healthy. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

If there's any time to make mistakes it's during the preseason. He made some along with some stuff you like to see. The man hasn't even played 5 games yet. Again I remember clearly Andrew Luck being inaccurate early in his career as well. And Peyton threw 28 picks by the time year 1 ended.  Let the guy take his lumps. He's decisive, he knows how to read a D, he makes the right read when he has to adjust to his hot route on the blitz, he goes through his progressions properly, and he doesn't have happy feet. Just needs to keep tight on his mechanics. I think he will.

Remembering when Josh Allen hit the radar and so many guru's said you couldn't fix accuracy. He figured it out.

Clearly AR was not on the same page on the Int. and 1 other pass. We watched Andrew his 1st 3 seasons throw late, behind, and high. 

How many int's he has by seasons end will be a measure, and so will how he does the 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st.

He and his throwing coach will work on his throwing motion next off season and we just have to see how it goes. 

But whiners gonna whine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Remembering when Josh Allen hit the radar and so many guru's said you couldn't fix accuracy. He figured it out.

Clearly AR was not on the same page on the Int. and 1 other pass. We watched Andrew his 1st 3 seasons throw late, behind, and high. 

How many int's he has by seasons end will be a measure, and so will how he does the 2nd half of the season compared to the 1st.

He and his throwing coach will work on his throwing motion next off season and we just have to see how it goes. 

But whiners gonna whine.

great post sir! 

• Like 1

Observations?

- The QB needs reps. I'm ready for an up and down 'rookie' season. 

- The Line is going to seriously embarrass more than their fair share of O-lines 

- While AR is getting his learning lined up, JT is the most important player on offense by some margin, good thing he got that contract

- Secondary will have ups and downs but I think they'll get better as the season goes along

- Laiatu Latu. The Colts finally replaced 93/98. He's scary.

**I may fail at this but ultimately I am not overly worried about results this season. I just want to see a QB who keeps growing, and I know growth isn't going to be linear so to avoid frustration, I'm expecting 0-17 and hope to treat every W as a bonus. The season after this is when I expect fireworks

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I was ready to come out of my chair when that jerk nearly tore Mitchell's head off.

What they are talking about when those 3rd stringers are looking to be noticed.

Me too.  I was surprised that didn't get flagged.  But, man, there was a moment or two there when I thought AD would be injured.  So dangerous to grab somebody by the head like that...facemask or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Luck was 54% his rookie year. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

This game was on Amazon Prime, so I didn't have access to it. I went to the casino for a while to watch it while playing blackjack (unfortunately the sound was off). We had a nice drive with Richardson that i noticed and a TD to Mitchell. I hope we use Mitchell as a red-zone target a lot during the season. Latu gets a sack. I think with the first-team out there we can do pretty good. Curious how much better it'll be when Downs returns. 

Of course, we were against the Bengals second-team, so I don't know how we'll do against the Texans in a couple weeks, but I feel decent about it at least. Can we stop their offense? That's the question. I think we can put 24 points or so on them.

It was on the NFL Network this morning and may be repeated later this week

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Good:

- The First Drive:  it was beautiful.  Even with vanilla play calling, good to see what this offense can do.  Good mix of run and pass.  Finished with a TD.  

- Alec Pierce:  good to see him bringing in catches past the first down marker that wasn’t a streak/fly. 

- Latu:  he’s legit.  Was getting consistent pressure and then finally got home.  He’s a keeper.

- Felton/Goodson:  very productive once they came in.  Solid depth at RB.

- RHJ:  5 tackles and one of them was for a loss.  Can’t complain.

Meh

- Anthony Richardson:  he looked like was ready to go with the first drive, and then after, I don’t know.  Miss-communication on routes, inaccuracies, threw a pick and had a fumble.  This is why AR needed to play more during the preseason.  Practice speed and In-Game speed are different.  Not saying he should’ve play significant time, but a quarter to a quarter and a half would’ve been good.

Dont really have any bad.  Seems like the players just wanted to get this game out of the way.

im not sure about this team.  I know the preseason doesn’t mean anything but I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t some concern.  I don’t think the sky is falling, but I’m bringing my expectations of this team down a little bit.  We have one of the most important games of the season week 1 and idk if we’re ready.  

Colts need to at least beat Houston once to have a shot at the playoffs.

• Like 2