Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard being stubborn at safety

On 7/11/2024 at 12:11 PM, BProland85 said:

Titans just signed safety Jamal Adams today, and it got me thinking why is Ballard sitting in his hands yet again with a big need still at safety? It’s been his downfall for years not addressing key need areas going into a season. And it’s not like it’ll cost him that much to go get a Simmons or Diggs at safety. My guess would be a 1 year 4 or 5 mil deal at most. They can easily afford that with very little risk. 

Stubborn, or patient?

• Thanks 4

18 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I think Ballard  will make a move either a FS or or CB or both but I believe it will be once training camp starts and they get a better look at the guys they have. If they really feel they can improve I could see then signing one or the other and holding some money back in case on an injury during training camp. CB doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum and listens to the HC, DC and the position coaches before personnel decisions are made. Should know more soon!

You may end up being right on this, 

I am in a minority here that thinks that we have young CBs that should keep improving

I would go with what we have at CB

Because we are young at CB, thats why we need the vet at FS to back them up.  

To me FS is by far the biggest hole on this team

To me, its like beginning a cross the country drive, and you have 3 good tires, and one that his leaking air

Do you fix the tire? or do you HOPE that the leaky tire can somehow make it for the long drive.

IMHO  We have the $$$$ and we have the need...........  Just fix the dang tire before we start the trip

But.....  what do I know....... (Not much... ask my wife) 

• Like 4

On 7/11/2024 at 12:11 PM, BProland85 said:

Titans just signed safety Jamal Adams today, and it got me thinking why is Ballard sitting in his hands yet again with a big need still at safety? It’s been his downfall for years not addressing key need areas going into a season. And it’s not like it’ll cost him that much to go get a Simmons or Diggs at safety. My guess would be a 1 year 4 or 5 mil deal at most. They can easily afford that with very little risk. 

Jamal Adams horrible now, not the same player as he was 5 years ago. There's a reason why he signed a 1-year deal for the league minimum.

Last 3 years:

8 PD, 0 INT, 0 FF, 0 FR, 0 sack.

Seems like a camp body to me.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am in a minority here that thinks that we have young CBs that should keep improving

To me, its like beginning a cross the country drive, and you have 3 good tires, and one that his leaking air

Do you fix the tire? or do you HOPE that the leaky tire can somehow make it for the long drive.

IMHO  We have the $$$$ and we have the need...........  Just fix the dang tire before we start the trip

Most of the top wide receivers run in the 4.3s. And the others run faster than 4.5. 

Ballard likes corners that run in the 4.5's. They have No catchup speed.

We have been playing man about 30% of the time.

We were one of the very worst giving up big plays.

Our slow corners need more than experience. 

Next off season Ballard can address the secondary and  LB, then we will be ready to compete for a SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Most of the top wide receivers run in the 4.3s. And the others run faster than 4.5. 

Ballard likes corners that run in the 4.5's. They have No catchup speed.

We have been playing man about 30% of the time.

We were one of the very worst giving up big plays.

Our slow corners need more than experience. 

Next off season Ballard can address the secondary and  LB, then we will be ready to compete for a SB.

You may be right, but IMHO, you can play this defense with bigger, long armed corners  (at 4.5) as they can run support as well as keep the action in front of them. 

If a 4.3 WR comes up, the CB would jam him, and pass him to a safety.

The key to our success with our defensive backfield is DL pressure AND the FS being where he needs to be.

This requires experience. and more than anything,  THATS why I want a vet FS.

I am thinking that our young DEs will improve a bit

I am thinking that our current CBs will improve a bit

I am thinking that our OL room will stay a top unit

I am thinking that our WR room COULD be a top 10 unit

I am thinking that our TE room could be awesome 

I am thinking that we have excellent STs

Lastly

I am thinking that AR5 is going to take the next step

I think our LBs need a boost next year as we arent great in coverage

Im hoping for a playoff run this year and NEXT year a possible trip to SB......  (A man can dream)   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was a quote from Simmons yesterday wanting to play for a contender. Would he feel colts are a contender? I doubt it. But I am not too worried until him and diggs are signed.

I think he would probably consider the Colts a playoff contender but not necessarily a Super Bowl contender.  Hopefully that’s enough.  He could also view himself as the missing piece to make the Colts a Super Bowl team.  So  I would think we are on his radar not sure if he is on ours though.  No way of knowing.

• Like 2

Meh.....Blackman/Cross/Thomas/Harrison is mediocre, at worst.

Ballard's handling of the safety situation this year is not nearly as egregious as him rolling with Pinter/Pryor as 2/5 of our starting OL.  Or his years of trying to pass off late round/udfa stiffs like Strachan/Patman/Pascal/Fountain as legitimate rotational NFL caliber players.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was a quote from Simmons yesterday wanting to play for a contender. Would he feel colts are a contender? I doubt it. But I am not too worried until him and diggs are signed.

I think we are a playoff team, With him - we could be dangerous.

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe those guys aren’t signing anywhere for a reason. This is probably players decision  and they are waiting. 

Ballard BYW Will be doing a presser next week We’d.

The safety market was over saturated from the beginning of the offseason. I think once the market settled, guys like Diggs and Simmons decided to wait it out. Julian Blackmon found out how rough the market was, and he came back home on a one year, incentive-laden deal.

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We do some

many times its a shove 4-5 years from LOS

We should be doing what you suggested earlier, but our DBs don't engage at the line to disrupt receivers with any regularity. And I don't know why we have 6'2", 205 pound corners if we don't let them engage at the line. 

I have my frustrations with Bradley and the defense, well documented already. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We should be doing what you suggested earlier, but our DBs don't engage at the line to disrupt receivers with any regularity. And I don't know why we have 6'2", 205 pound corners if we don't let them engage at the line. 

I have my frustrations with Bradley and the defense, well documented already. 

Yeah, I don't understand wanting big corners only to sit them down in zone coverage. I understand wanting to be long in that regard, but to put big, strong guys out there and not want them disrupting is strange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

According to some of these vets they are only being offered minimal deals so they are holding out to see if it goes up. Gilmore and Simmons both said this.

Training camp starts shortly. You ready to bring the heat as usual. It has been slow in here, July is a dull month. We are almost home Homer Simpson Swimming GIF

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 11:30 AM, MikeCurtis said:

You may be right, but IMHO, you can play this defense with bigger, long armed corners  (at 4.5) as they can run support as well as keep the action in front of them. 

If a 4.3 WR comes up, the CB would jam him, and pass him to a safety.

The key to our success with our defensive backfield is DL pressure AND the FS being where he needs to be.

This requires experience. and more than anything,  THATS why I want a vet FS.

I am thinking that our young DEs will improve a bit

I am thinking that our current CBs will improve a bit

I am thinking that our OL room will stay a top unit

I am thinking that our WR room COULD be a top 10 unit

I am thinking that our TE room could be awesome 

I am thinking that we have excellent STs

Lastly

I am thinking that AR5 is going to take the next step

I think our LBs need a boost next year as we arent great in coverage

Im hoping for a playoff run this year and NEXT year a possible trip to SB......  (A man can dream)   

We played man about 30% of the time, there is only one deep safety stuck in the middle of the field. We can't chase them on crossers, they are open quickly at 15 yards if they beat a jam. Ballard's clunky slow corners are so out dated. Maybe next year a stud CB falls to us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

We played man about 30% of the time, there is only one deep safety stuck in the middle of the field. We can't chase them on crossers, they are open quickly at 15 yards if they beat a jam. Ballard's clunky slow corners are so out dated. Maybe next year a stud CB falls to us.

Speed ran a 4.34 40, we didnt see much of him as a rookie except on st's and next to no talk of him in off season but he was drafted ahead of Jones last year ( By the Pats). 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 7:34 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Speed ran a 4.34 40, we didnt see much of him as a rookie except on st's and next to no talk of him in off season but he was drafted ahead of Jones last year ( By the Pats). 

5 years of college with no production. We were desperate for special teams help. A sad day if he makes the 53.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

5 years of college with no production. We were desperate for special teams help. A sad day if he makes the 53.

He was a 4 star recruit coming out of hs, was lost in the shuffle with Georgia,played a lot once transferred to Mich St but never really shined too bright. Has size and SPEED but seems he really lacks instincts so unless a light comes on will be tough for him to get snaps on D though a good st player so could grab last CB spot.

We currently have 9 Corners if we keep 6 as we typically do LOCKED are : Moore,Brents,Jones,Flowers,Abraham so ....that leaves Lammons,Baker,Speed and Fields fighting for 1 spot. Baker was so bad last year think he faces uphill battle. Lammons a slot corner and Abraham fills that backup need and doubt we go 3 deep there. Clay Fields is very versatile but he seems more a p.s candidate while fully embracing position change from Safety to Corner.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nobody is paying these vets what they want. These vets are the ones holding out. 

Ballard is supposed to talk to the press Wed. 

I have a feeling as soon as AD beats Cross deep he will pick up the phone.  lol.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Your wife must have good taste, she chose you after all! :thmup:

Side note. I’m also in agreement with you. I think we’re rolling with who we currently have and furthering their development. 

I don't think we sign anybody unless they get a bad read on Nick Cross during the preseason and

training camp.  I believe they have a pretty good idea that Cross is ready to take over at FS.  If so then

you have an elite level athlete back there.  I also think that they are pretty comfortable with Rodney Thomas

being his backup.  Thomas has a lot of starting experience at this point and you could do a lot worse than him when it comes to a reserve player. I say we are likely to have Cross and Blackmon as the starters. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I don't think we sign anybody unless they get a bad read on Nick Cross during the preseason and

training camp.  I believe they have a pretty good idea that Cross is ready to take over at FS.  If so then

you have an elite level athlete back there.  I also think that they are pretty comfortable with Rodney Thomas

being his backup.  Thomas has a lot of starting experience at this point and you could do a lot worse than him when it comes to a reserve player. I say we are likely to have Cross and Blackmon as the starters. 

You do NOT want to have Rodney Thomas back there if Cross gets injured. And honestly, what has Cross ever shown to suggest he’s a starting FS? I get giving the CBs a chance to grow. They’ve shown genuine promise. Cross and Thomas? No. The Colts need a vet FS back there ASAP. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoose said:

You do NOT want to have Rodney Thomas back there if Cross gets injured. And honestly, what has Cross ever shown to suggest he’s a starting FS? I get giving the CBs a chance to grow. They’ve shown genuine promise. Cross and Thomas? No. The Colts need a vet FS back there ASAP. 

I think you're operating in fantasy land regarding the vet. Ballard has shown over time if he has any modicum of belief in a young player he's not bringing in a vet to start over his draft pick.  It's not going to happen and in regards to Thomas im sure you werent saying that in year 1.  Year 2 wasnt as good but this is a young player who probaby wasn't even supposed to be playing as early as he was.  Guys can certainly grow and most peoples back ups arent that good in the first place and I think you can certainly do worse than a guy who has started several games and done well at least once.   If they felt the way you felt about Thomas then he'd be out of here already.  Or they'd do more to emphasize Jaylon Simpson being a safety instead of a corner. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Thomas was one of the few bright spots in 2022. I’m not sure why he regressed so much last year in both coverage and tackling. 

Cross played good last year.  I’m not so sure he’s a FS though.  I always thought of him as more of a SS.  Having two safeties that can play both free and strong will help them disguise coverages though. Cross “Mossing” Pickens last year was impressive.  They traded up for him so they may feel now is the time for him or it never will be as a Colt.  

I would feel better with Simmons or Diggs though.  I would also prefer a vet corner that pushes Baker off the 53. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

YOU are probably wrong regarding all of this.

I’m sorry, I agree with @Hoose on this one.  FS is a glaring weak spot for us right now.  Thomas regressed a lot last year.  Cross, he’s ok but I’m not sure if he’s the answer and I too would feel a lot better with Simmons back there.

I really don’t understand how our corners catch flak on here and the FSs get away clean lol.  Brents would grade out either ok or good when he played and Jones was getting recognition asking rookie corner.  Thomas was bad and cross would look solid and then would show us he’s not ready to be that safety blanket.  I will say, I do have some faith cross can be.  But Thomas, idk.  He was good first year, horrible last year.  

36 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I’m sorry, I agree with @Hoose on this one.  FS is a glaring weak spot for us right now.  Thomas regressed a lot last year.  Cross, he’s ok but I’m not sure if he’s the answer and I too would feel a lot better with Simmons back there.

I really don’t understand how our corners catch flak on here and the FSs get away clean lol.  Brents would grade out either ok or good when he played and Jones was getting recognition asking rookie corner.  Thomas was bad and cross would look solid and then would show us he’s not ready to be that safety blanket.  I will say, I do have some faith cross can be.  But Thomas, idk.  He was good first year, horrible last year.  

FWIW:   The consensus around here is that Thomas had a nice rookie year for a 7th round pick out of the Ivy League.   But then he suffered through a very disappointing second season.   

But for that crowd, here is a head scratcher from PFF.   Thomas’s grades are almost identical.  His second season might even be fractionally higher.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   The consensus around here is that Thomas had a nice rookie year for a 7th round pick out of the Ivy League.   But then he suffered through a very disappointing second season.   

But for that crowd, here is a head scratcher from PFF.   Thomas’s grades are almost identical.  His second season might even be fractionally higher.  

you’re correct, and I honestly don’t know why that’s the case lol.

i even remember the chiefs game and was thinking to myself how he may be our guy at FS.  He even had 4 picks in ‘22.

im definitely not going to go back and watch any film on him so I’ll write it off as me having blue colored shades on due to a 7th round rookie having some bright moments lol

3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

you’re correct, and I honestly don’t know why that’s the case lol.

i even remember the chiefs game and was thinking to myself how he may be our guy at FS.  He even had 4 picks in ‘22.

im definitely not going to go back and watch any film on him so I’ll write it off as me having blue colored shades on due to a 7th round rookie having some bright moments lol

These are the kind of moments I wish PFF had a link where you could submit questions or comments.  Sometimes they do things that appear to be head scratching.   This is one.  

• Thanks 2