Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

18 hours ago, IinD said:

Agreed, very cool. He's very likeable.

Over/under 2 games before he's called a bust here?? :lol:

Do pre-season count? :D Actually I can see it happening even in pre-season. Imagine Dallas Turner gets 3 sacks against the 3d stringers of the Bills or something, while Latu gets shut down by a pro-bowler in our pre-season opener... and some variation of this will be said... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, w87r said:

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's pretty darn cool.   How can you not root for this kid.   Even if he went to another team I would root for him.  But I'm glad we got him

Yeah... I love how genuinely excited he is by this whole process. From videos coming into the building, to videos of the introduction to his helmet, to just any interview really... he seems so thankful and exuberant. Love his whole demeanor. There's very little to nothing that seems rehearsed or contrived like most of the prospects nowadays... This is not a dig at other players - they are all media coached and prepared so much in the pre-draft process that they lose a lot of their personality in front of the camera. I don't think this is the case with Laiatu. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Really gives you perspective on how big he is compared to his peers. 

Yeah, saw a video of him playing rugby. He was definitely one of the big guys on the team lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Yeah, saw a video of him playing rugby. He was definitely one of the big guys on the team lol. 

I saw that vid...I think it was high school. I'm amazed some of those smaller guys actually lived. He planted a few of them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. The Rams tried to trade with the Jets for 11 too:

I wonder who they were targeting. Some are speculating Bowers at 11. Seattle reporters think they tried to jump the Seahawks for Byron Murphy.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I wonder who they were targeting. Some are speculating Bowers at 11. Seattle reporters think they tried to jump the Seahawks for Byron Murphy.

more reason to believe that after the top 3 wide receivers, Latu was their guy.  To not accept an offer to move back ONLY 4 spots and gain a top 100 pick is hard to do.  Bet if the rams through in a second instead of a third we might’ve took it.

think about it, if you move back 4 spots you’d still have a shot at one of the two top corners or even Dallas turner.  And we said no thanks, we want Latu. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, smittywerb said:

more reason to believe that after the top 3 wide receivers, Latu was their guy.  To not accept an offer to move back ONLY 4 spots and gain a top 100 pick is hard to do.  Bet if the rams through in a second instead of a third we might’ve took it.

think about it, if you move back 4 spots you’d still have a shot at one of the two top corners or even Dallas turner.  And we said no thanks, we want Latu. 

I'm glad we declined. Latu may or may not be great but I like the kid and will be pulling for him.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2024 at 3:53 AM, smittywerb said:

The additions of say Taylor, Raimann, and looking back to Leonard could be called important, savy drafting.

Our Colts have been waiting for awhile for a special, difference making player to surprisingly fall to US. Right when we really really needed it to happen, it sure looks like we got two of them. 🙏 for good health.

AR a surprise at 4, not at all.  But :thmup: :applause: :colts:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The additions of say Taylor, Raimann, and looking back to Leonard could be called important, savy drafting.

Our Colts have been waiting for awhile for a special, difference making player to surprisingly fall to US. Right when we really really needed it to happen, it sure looks like we got two of them. 🙏 for good health.

AR a surprise at 4, not at all.  But :thmup: :applause: :colts:

Agreed.  After this last off season, I kind of give Ballard a pass on taking long to find a certified DE (if Latu pans out).  Like QBs, they don’t grow on trees.  You either have to draft one high, get lucky with one in the draft, or sign one in FA for loads of cash.  All I can ask for him as GM to do is try.  He hasn’t been perfect by any means but at least he’s tried with the DE position specifically.

i also think Shane being here has changed his thinking.  Before, Ballard might’ve went with Turner due to the higher upside.  But maybe Shane differs and wants proven players.  

Either way, I’m glad we possibly have our stud at a premium position for the next 5 years at a cheap rate.  

And gotta thank the Falcons for us landing Latu.  Lol

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 2:49 AM, stitches said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/rams-tried-to-trade-up-for-brock-bowers-then-byron-murphy

You seem to be right.

• Like 1

Laiatu Latu is one of the best pass rushers in the draft, but I am a bit concerned about his past neck injury. He had to go several doctors before finding one who allowed him to play. I'm sure the Colts vetted him before drafting (as did other teams who wanted him), so they must feel he's safe enough. 

However, this injury could re occur sometime, and cause later problems. Consider the Cowboys Leighton Vander Esh who was a very good player but finally had to retire due to a nagging neck injury. 

Is anyone else concerned about this? Or am I jumping to conclusions? 

30 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Laiatu Latu is one of the best pass rushers in the draft, but I am a bit concerned about his past neck injury. He had to go several doctors before finding one who allowed him to play. I'm sure the Colts vetted him before drafting (as did other teams who wanted him), so they must feel he's safe enough. 

However, this injury could re occur sometime, and cause later problems. Consider the Cowboys Leighton Vander Esh who was a very good player but finally had to retire due to a nagging neck injury. 

Is anyone else concerned about this? Or am I jumping to conclusions? 

It's a valid concern. We had a powerhouse post on this from one of our members after the Colts made the pick. You should check it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 6/15/2024 at 12:53 AM, smittywerb said:

But if they were like me, they only liked one of the corners and wasn't a fan of Turner. So I'd look at it and say there's a fair chance the two guys I really liked that were left in that range would be gone.