Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL Draft Thread Day 1 (Final Discussions, Predictions, Rumors, etc…). ****NO SPOILERS****

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He couldn't do it by himself. 

Penix did not have to do it alone. Lots of his teammates are being drafted. Anyway, he is injury-prone. We need a QB who will stay on the field.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. It is clear that others disagree with me, as he was drafted 8th and Kurt Warner likes him. I'm ok with that.

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

AD Mitchell? He won't last long IMO. 

The Colts need a WR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Penix did not have to do it alone. Lots of his teammates are being drafted. Anyway, he is injury-prone. We need a QB who will stay on the field.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. It is clear that others disagree with me, as he was drafted 8th and Kurt Warner likes him. I'm ok with that.

The Colts need a WR.

That's cool. I just wanted to know why you are down on Penix. No big deal. I will move on and yes we need another WR and a Corner. 

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

1. Kirk didn't give any heads-up either that he was gonna reveal tampering of Falcons out in the worst place, introductory press conference!

2. I find funny how "Cousins camp" and his agent act as if their client is Tom Brady! They talked about him achieving Super Bowl success, hyping up Cousins, while bargaining with Jets and Minnesota when he came out of DC.

3. Also, it's funny that Cousins camp even want Falcons to utilize every draft pick for Cousins, and act like picking a rookie QB is somehow a problem. If he's that good, it's a problem only for Penix - like how everybody forgot about QB Hooker after Lions' last season. No one cares now if Hooker even recovered from ACL fully. 

So, Kirk - maybe, you make people forget that Penix is on the roster. But, I suspect Falcons made a necessary move, in case Kirk gets injured or doesn't make a big difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Colts need a WR.

Bills are gonna draft, with first draft pick of day 2, either McConkey or Mitchell.

Maybe, they'll surprise and pick another WR but past few draft selections show that different teams have different WRs at the top order of their draft board. 

2 hours ago, IndyEV said:

They havent done a very good job of explaining trades tonight! 

Just traded picks and traded 5th/6th round picks

@Happy2BeHere this NFL website page shows all the trades before and during the NFL draft this off-season, and you can bookmark it to visit again whenever a draft day trade happens in next 2 days.

It takes around 10-15 minutes for the details to be reflected, so don't expect full information when the team involved in trade are immediately on the clock. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-full-details-on-every-draft-related-move-since-start-of-new-league-year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't get why they drafted him. It seemed like a reach. It was not a need. They could have drafted Odunze or any number of defensive players. I don't get it.

I did not think of that.

(Posts merged :( )

Falcons probably drafted Penix because they liked him, more than most other players because of the importance of QB position as well.

Note that They didn't draft JJ McCarthy so it shows Falcons staff definitely had their preference, inclination and liking to his QB play more than anyone else.

I think the thumb rule is if a team likes a QB very much, there are chances it won't happen again sooner in future, and even if they like few QBs in near future they may not be in position to draft the players they love.

So, general rule is always draft a QB if you like and when you can - same with Lions last year, and I hope Vikings did the same this draft. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Bills are gonna draft, with first draft pick of day 2, either McConkey or Mitchell.

Maybe, they'll surprise and pick another WR but past few draft selections show that different teams have different WRs at the top order of their draft board. 

They need a lot of stuff. Receiver, corner, safety, edge, etc..

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's cool. I just wanted to know why you are down on Penix. No big deal. I will move on and yes we need another WR and a Corner. 

The Athletic has mocked CB Max Melton of Rutgers and WR Ja'Lynn Polk of Washington to the Colts. Polk was a teammate of Penix. It is just a mock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

The Athletic has mocked CB Max Melton of Rutgers and WR Ja'Lynn Polk of Washington to the Colts. Polk was a teammate of Penix. It is just a mock.

Both players are very talented. I would be ok with that. Your Vikings cleaned house yesterday. If McCarthy works out, you get an A yesterday IMO. I love the Turner pick. It is funny how good a football team can be always hinges on how good the QB will be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Also, it's funny that Cousins camp even want Falcons to utilize every draft pick for Cousins, and act like picking a rookie QB is somehow a problem. If he's that good, it's a problem only for Penix

I agree. Kirk is being paid $100 million the next two years to be the starter. Why would he be upset about drafting another QB who will be a backup? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Kirk is being paid $100 million the next two years to be the starter. Why would he be upset about drafting another QB who will be a backup? 

I think he is more confused is what I have been reading. They could have took Rome so I get why Kirk would be like WTH. I do get why the Falcons took Penix though. It is because Kirk only has roughly 2 years, maybe 3 left. Everyone trashed the Packers when they took Love instead of getting Rodgers help and Rodgers had the same reaction, I think any QB would. 2 years down the road, Penix could be just as good as Jordan Love, he is actually more talented than Love. Falcons are thinking, we now have our QB position taken care of for the next 12 years. 2 with Kirk/maybe 3, 10 with Penix. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is more confused is what I have been reading. They could have took Rome so I get why Kirk would be like WTH. I do get why the Falcons took Penix though. It is because Kirk only has roughly 2 years, maybe 3 left. Everyone trashed the Packers when they took Love instead of getting Rodgers help and Rodgers had the same reaction, I think any QB would. 2 years down the road, Penix could be just as good as Jordan Love, he is actually more talented than Love. Falcons are thinking, we now have our QB position taken care of for the next 12 years. 2 with Kirk/maybe 3, 10 with Penix. 

Would Kirk have been that upset had they taken another player at a position of strength, say Brock Bowers at TE? I'm pretty sure he would not have been upset with that selection or with a player on defense.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Would Kirk have been that upset had they taken another player at a position of strength, say Brock Bowers at TE? I'm pretty sure he would not have been upset with that selection or with a player on defense.

I think he would have loved the Bowers pick. Kirk will get over it and I still think the Falcons will win that division because he is the best QB in that division. He is better than Mayfield, Carr, and Young. 

My point is, I get why the Falcons did what they did, and I get why Kirk was confused or puzzled by the Penix pick. 

Add on: Falcons weren't taking Bowers anyway, they have Pitts.

Colts should have plenty of good options at 46. I suspect both Corley and Franklin will be available at WR, they could trade back for more picks and take Wilson or Colson at LB, who would be better coverage options than our current LB core, or even a Roman Wilson at WR. There will also be good CB options at 46 and beyond in this draft.

Day 2-3 Mock Draft

*Colts trade pick 46 and 151 to the Bengals for picks 49 and 97.

*Colts trade 49 and 117 for 52 and 83 from the Rams

Round 2 Pick 52: Troy Franklin, WR Oregon

Round 3 Pick 82: Jaden Hicks, Safety WSU

Round 2 Pick 83: Dominick Puni, OG Kansas 

Round 3 Pick 97: Khyree Jackson, CB Oregon

Round 6: Edefuan Ulofoshio, LB Washington

Round 7: Kimani Vidal, RB Troy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Kirk should understand it is part of team building. Even with Vikings, he saw other QBs as some kind of competition, and as insult to him. Funny he never got upset with not even going to conference championship, for example. That's part of the reason why he never wins big games.. he doesn't love the team, he lives himself and his pride more than anything. As well as he talks great about everything, his actions show He's all about himself all the time. 

Compare him to Matt Ryan for example, Ryan took everything with dignity and that comes from having team above himself, and even if he's benched he stood by their decisions by both words and actions. That includes not letting out statement from agent that he was a little confused or upset.

I suspect Kirk will throw fits like he did in Washington when he loses his arm strength at he ages and his team starts to bench him. That will be a riot.

As of now, he's a starter and he just has to keep his mouth shut (that includes any statement from his agent or his camp) and do his part in bringing success to the team, no matter what. This is a bad start to his Falcons tenure.

As for Falcons drafting Penix, one great WR or defensive player may or may not make a big difference in the Big picture. Maybe, that shows they're happy they got Kirk and that alone makes them very close to winning division and qualifying for playoffs, so they are looking into future. Kirk should take it as a positive reflection on him for this year. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Kirk should understand it is part of team building. Even with Vikings, he saw other QBs as some kind of competition, and as insult to him. Funny he never got upset with not even going to conference championship, for example. That's part of the reason why he never wins big games.. he doesn't love the team, he lives himself and his pride more than anything. As well as he talks great about everything, his actions show He's all about himself all the time. 

Compare him to Matt Ryan for example, Ryan took everything with dignity and that comes from having team above himself, and even if he's benched he stood by their decisions by both words and actions. That includes not letting out statement from agent that he was a little confused or upset.

I suspect Kirk will throw fits like he did in Washington when he loses his arm strength at he ages and his team starts to bench him. That will be a riot.

As of now, he's a starter and he just has to keep his mouth shut (that includes any statement from his agent or his camp) and do his part in bringing success to the team, no matter what. This is a bad start to his Falcons tenure.

As for Falcons drafting Penix, one great WR or defensive player may or may not make a big difference in the Big picture. Maybe, that shows they're happy they got Kirk and that alone makes them very close to winning division and qualifying for playoffs, so they are looking into future. Kirk should take it as a positive reflection on him for this year. 

Not to start a debate or anything, but you said "he never got upset with not even going to conference championship". How do you know this to be true? Also, I highly doubt he wasn't upset when he lost in the playoffs. You are letting your hate for Cousins to post something like that. After the Vikings lost to the Giants, he was very upset and was blaming himself. Go back and look at the press conferences. 

Typically, when someone doesn't like someone, they make up stuff about them and have no facts to back it up. They just have it in their heads and really believe what they are posting/saying. Like this person is bad or doesn't care, etc. that goes with Sports, Politics, etc..

Regarding Matt Ryan, Matt was a better QB all-time and handled things differently than what Cousins does. Matt was like a calm leader. Being a #3 pick, he had to be like that. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Great pick, congrats... Finally, a first round CB might work out well, and it would be perfect timing for this team. 

Hate that vikings hit on both picks. Wanted them to waste tons to trade up for jj. In my opinion hes 2nd best qb and they got best edge in turner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think falcons can walk from kirk after yr 2. Thats what will happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Day 2-3 Mock Draft

This would be a great draft. Franklin is a natural separator to play across from Pitt, Hicks adds depth at safety, Puni, is a really talented guard who should get a year or two to develop into a starter, Jackson is a prefect scheme fit at CB. Not too familiar with the last two guys, but would thrilled to end up with this plus Latu.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not to start a debate or anything, but you said "he never got upset with not even going to conference championship". How do you know this to be true? Also, I highly doubt he wasn't upset when he lost in the playoffs. You are letting your hate for Cousins to post something like that. After the Vikings lost to the Giants, he was very upset and was blaming himself. Go back and look at the press conferences. 

Typically, when someone doesn't like someone, they make up stuff about them and have no facts to back it up. They just have it in their heads and really believe what they are posting/saying. Like this person is bad or doesn't care, etc. that goes with Sports, Politics, etc..

Regarding Matt Ryan, Matt was a better QB all-time and handled things differently than what Cousins does. Matt was like a calm leader. Being a #3 pick, he had to be like that. 

You give Ton of advice but don't use it for yourself...

How do you know I hate Cousins, you decide for yourself? Then you turn back asking similar question about Cousins? 

I supported Cousins even while knowing that his tape shows all the inconsistency, that will plague all his career.. you have only heard from me about Cousins maybe for 2 years but he's been Vikings QB for 6 years...

Every time, you start this debate and you don't even get closer to my viewpoint, which if even I explain like 2 days back, you beat all around the point except about talking about the actual point (that Superman's analogy about how it feels like watching a QB when he plays for your team).. so, I will have to stop replying you whenever you pick-up this topic with me...

Thankfully, Cousins is gone, can't wait for your predictions for Falcons go up in smoke this year and can't wait to hear about all the excuses (including Penix selection).. ha ha

19 minutes ago, Mike06181 said:

Or they will trade him after yr 2

Yeah, for sure... He's a head case (in a very subtle, silent manner), will create unnecessary headaches all his tenure..

The league year just started, and he's already started 2 issues:

1) revealed the tampering evidences - for which his camp is not sorry, but...

2) his camp is quick to let everyone know their displeasure on Falcons draft selection!

These are unnecessary headaches that you don't want your franchise QB to make, just within 50 days of league year starting, still 100 days away from actual football.

Then, Kirk wonders why "No One Like That?!"

Meanwhile, Goff said trade to Detroit had been the biggest event of his career.. and I thought Goff would be a bust, he proved many wrong by his football play and not speaking a word about how he was hurt all these years, not shouting at Rams "You Like That?" After last year play-off win, etc., That's the sign of a matured QB. A classy, team oriented player focused only on winning for the current franchise, coaches and teammates... That's what you wanna see from your franchise QB! 

To your point, yes, as it is 4-year contract and lot of money tied, 2 years later would be a good starting point to move on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike06181 said:

Very happy lions got this kid. Class act will fit lions culture day 1.

He has a great attitude. Seems sure of himself without being boastful. He looks like a leader.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He has a great attitude. Seems sure of himself without being boastful. He looks like a leader.

Lot of guys looked very nice and humble on podium, I liked how Odunze handled himself..

I also like the few guys in Green Room who congratulated every player being drafted, while they had to wait longer... Very few guys were doing that every time, and actually having fun in spite of not getting drafted (yet). Those are very good guys to have around the locker room. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Even with Vikings, he saw other QBs as some kind of competition, and as insult to him. Funny he never got upset with not even going to conference championship, for example. That's part of the reason why he never wins big games.. he doesn't love the team, he loves himself and his pride more than anything. As well as he talks great about everything, his actions show He's all about himself all the time. 

Yep. He seemed mostly comfortable with Sean Mannion, someone who would never threaten to take his job.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Exactly. Even as a Colts, when he was benched, Ryan never revealed disappointment or resentment. He was a team guy. A class act!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Lot of guys looked very nice and humble on podium, I liked how Odunze handled himself..

I also like the few guys in Green Room who congratulated every player being drafted, while they had to wait longer... Very few guys were doing that every time, and actually having fun in spite of not getting drafted (yet). Those are very good guys to have around the locker room. 

I disagree. Many of the players kept their eyeglasses on as if they were afraid to show themselves. Arnold took off his glasses, grabbed the mike to speak to the fans, and seemed ready to represent his team. He seemed to have to this level of self-confidence and belief in himself that I did not see in others. 

Like you, I'm impressed with Odunze. I think I will like JJM too.

19 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

To your point, yes, as it is 4-year contract and lot of money tied, 2 years later would be a good starting point to move on. 

Kirk's contract is 4 years?

Btw, do you think the Vikes will make another trade into the 2nd or 3rd round today? I think KAM/Vikes made two good trades yesterday. If they did not make the trade with the Jets, another team may have drafted JJ. The dropoff from JJ to Nix is huge IMO -- it was not worth the risk to stay at 11.

Trading 6 spots to get Dallas Turner cost us a 3rd and 4th rounder next year but if he can replace Hunter, he will be worth the draft capital. NFLfan is pleased 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Day 2-3 Mock Draft

How did you come up with this trade scenario?   By a mock simulator?   Or by just looking at the trade value chart?  

Hard to see trading down 3 spots from 46 to 49 and gain 54 spots from 151 to 97.   That gap is huge.  

18 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Agreed. He may be a day 1 starter. Not only that, EDGE will fall off quickly and we can get a CB and WR on day 2.

It is nice to get the best defender in the draft (on the Colts board).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The flip side is - you won’t see returns on investment in a very high first rounder for at least 2 years and if Cousins keeps playing well for 4 years, this move of the Falcons might end up being talked about as the least use of resources in a Top 10 player.

Plus, if Penix flops, after getting a chance after 2 years, that GM and HC combo will be gone, for a LONNNNGGG time and will never be GM and HC again. LOVE the player, not the pick. Older QBs that have had an injury history don’t go at No.8. They could have gotten back into Round 1, I’m confident Penix would have still been there at the 20s. Rodgers and Love were, for the Packers when they pulled the trigger, IN THE 20s.

Personally, after the first 2 QBs, every QB was over drafted, IMO.

Raheem Morris was hedging his bets on them not picking in Top 10 again, so that was their justification for picking Penix high. If you aren’t picking in Top 10 again, won’t your future 1st be worth less if you moved back into Round 1 in the 20s by the same logic?

Again, LOVE the player but HATE the pick position. They also put Penix in a difficult situation where he might end up asking them to trade him like Jordan Love did after riding the pine for 3 years. Is that what they want?

• Like 1