Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

I normally do not think Ballard would be looking to trade up, but I just have a feeling that this could be the year. I go back to his comment about needing more explosiveness on offense, and while some of the day 2 WRs can be said to provide that, I really think getting a MHJ or Nabors would really provide a different level of explosiveness to this offense.

While your QB is on his rookie contract you should do everything in your power to support him with great weapons to help him develop. Hopefully he does develop and once you have to pay him and you can't afford to pay to keep lots of great weapons, he is then at the level that he can lift the players around him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If we go OL in the 1st I’d be extremely disappointed. 

Completely understand but I could at least stomach the Colts doing everything they can to protect AR and let him work. If a franchise tackle is there when they pick and clearly BPA, it makes sense.  I don’t think the Colts will go this route but I do recognize the possibility. 

After the presser it looks like the Colts will trade back so there will be a lot of picks before the they make their first selection. This makes it nearly impossible to predict which way they may go. Chances are I won’t know who the majority of the players the Colts pick anyways. Going to sit back and enjoy the show and see what happens. 

"Thomas was among college football's best separators for his entire career, and that only improved in his last season. In 2023, Thomas was charted as open on 74 of his 87 targets. He also led college football with 17 receiving touchdowns."

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-college-to-pro-projections-for-lsu-wr-brian-thomas-jr

Brian Thomas Jr is a lot like Randy Moss (the athlete) to me. I think he is more athletic than Pierce in terms of his ability to get extra yards after the catch and I like his hands . My only question is if we still like Pierce how will we employ Thomas personnel wise in year 1? Because he isn't playing special teams and he is mostly an outside guy versus a guy you play all over the line. To me he and Pierce do all the same stuff but I could be wrong. And I'm not sure about Thomas contested catch game bc he usually has a considerable step on everybody. Specifically Superman what is your take bc I know you like him pretty good. Because of our vertical scheme in my opinion getting him would be just as good for us as any of the top 3 that everybody else talks about. And you won't have to trade all your picks away.

Pierce

Thomas Jr

Downs 

Dulin

Pittman

I do think with decent confidence he will be there at 15 when we pick. You pretty much can sit right there and let one of him or Bowers fall in your lap.

If neither of the two are there I'd say trade back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Completely understand but I could at least stomach the Colts doing everything they can to protect AR and let him work. If a franchise tackle is there when they pick and clearly BPA, it makes sense.  I don’t think the Colts will go this route but I do recognize the possibility. 

After the presser it looks like the Colts will trade back so there will be a lot of picks before the they make their first selection. This makes it nearly impossible to predict which way they may go. Chances are I won’t know who the majority of the players the Colts pick anyways. Going to sit back and enjoy the show and see what happens. 

We have TWO top 10 tackles in Raimann and Smith though? We need depth, sure, but I hope we’re not looking for depth in the 1st round…

3 hours ago, pkbrux said:

I normally do not think Ballard would be looking to trade up, but I just have a feeling that this could be the year. I go back to his comment about needing more explosiveness on offense, and while some of the day 2 WRs can be said to provide that, I really think getting a MHJ or Nabors would really provide a different level of explosiveness to this offense.

While your QB is on his rookie contract you should do everything in your power to support him with great weapons to help him develop. Hopefully he does develop and once you have to pay him and you can't afford to pay to keep lots of great weapons, he is then at the level that he can lift the players around him.

He just said MHJ trade up is fantasy land. Some like Steve Smith and Zierlein are ranking Nabers ahead of MHJ so both of those you can pretty much scratch off the trade up list unless they are some how available around pick 10-13. Very unlikely!

3 hours ago, pkbrux said:

I thought the same of him in free agency this year, and it didn’t happen. I don’t think anything changes. I expect a trade back, and if we select someone at 15, it’s because they fell to us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Going to sit back and enjoy the show and see what happens. 

this is the way. Becoming invested in predictions or certain players is a sure fire way to being disappointed in the results. I’ll wait until selections and review of players before forming any opinions. Hoping for some players that can contribute this season like we’ve had. Just hope none are relied on much. With the offseason retainment, I’m hopeful rookies this year will be good depth and get good development experience throughout the season. Any contributions towards winning ballgames will be great. 

• Like 2

I think we can expect trades for teams wanting to move up for a quarterback to happen any time now.  Especially if they are already in the top 13.  Waiting guarantees you nothing except losing out on an opportunity to draft a quarterback you have targeted.  If you need to get into the top 5 do it before some other team does.  Those trade ups will help the Colts plan as well.  I’m expecting at least one trade up before the draft starts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krunk said:

"Thomas was among college football's best separators for his entire career, and that only improved in his last season. In 2023, Thomas was charted as open on 74 of his 87 targets. He also led college football with 17 receiving touchdowns."

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-college-to-pro-projections-for-lsu-wr-brian-thomas-jr

Brian Thomas Jr is a lot like Randy Moss (the athlete) to me. I think he is more athletic than Pierce in terms of his ability to get extra yards after the catch and I like his hands . My only question is if we still like Pierce how will we employ Thomas personnel wise in year 1? Because he isn't playing special teams and he is mostly an outside guy versus a guy you play all over the line. To me he and Pierce do all the same stuff but I could be wrong. And I'm not sure about Thomas contested catch game bc he usually has a considerable step on everybody. Specifically Superman what is your take bc I know you like him pretty good. Because of our vertical scheme in my opinion getting him would be just as good for us as any of the top 3 that everybody else talks about. And you won't have to trade all your picks away.

Pierce

Thomas Jr

Downs 

Dulin

Pittman

I do think with decent confidence he will be there at 15 when we pick. You pretty much can sit right there and let one of him or Bowers fall in your lap.

If neither of the two are there I'd say trade back.

For me it depends on how the Colts view Thomas in terms of his route running ability. If he can run numerous routes well he can be a great all around WR. If his routes are limited to deep routes similar to what Pierce is best at, then it’s probably a wasted pick. 

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

MHJ doesn't have elite speed?  

For MHJ - I think people are filling in what's missing with doubt when the rest of the class tested and tested well for the most part. No idea if this will bite him in the *(when it comes to draft position), but IMO his physical and athletic traits are great. If I had to guess he's a 4.4 athlete or thereabout and this is probably the least important thing of his profile as a receiver, but when combined with the rest of his technical refinement and ability to make incredibly tough catches, it makes him one of the best WR prospects I've seen. I'd take him no. 1 in most drafts if I didn't need a QB. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

For MHJ - I think people are filling in what's missing with doubt when the rest of the class tested and tested well for the most part. No idea if this will bite him in the *(when it comes to draft position), but IMO his physical and athletic traits are great. If I had to guess he's a 4.4 athlete or thereabout and this is probably the least important thing of his profile as a receiver, but when combined with the rest of his technical refinement and ability to make incredibly tough catches, it makes him one of the best WR prospects I've seen. I'd take him no. 1 in most drafts if I didn't need a QB. 

The Cardinals are gonna love him.

7 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Trading back would be interesting. Jags are at 17. I am not sure they want to get behind the Jags and have them pick a guy at 17 that will come back to haunt the Colts. They apparently need a corner and wr as their to needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

But would u take him over an elite DE, LT, corner or DT? I would  probably take all those positions before a wr.

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Trading back would be interesting. Jags are at 17. I am not sure they want to get behind the Jags and have them pick a guy at 17 that will come back to haunt the Colts. They apparently need a corner and wr as their to needs.

Hard to see the Colts trading within the Division. Never say never, but its unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But would u take him over an elite DE, LT, corner or DT? I would  probably take all those positions before a wr.

Depends on the player and just how elite he is compared to MHJ, but overall I would take MHJ over most top 5 drafted players at those positions. Just for the last 5-6 years:

- Will Anderson Jr - 

- Devon Witherspoon - 

- Travon Walker

- Aidan Hutchinson

- Sauce Gardner

- Kayvon Thibodeaux

- Chase Young

- Jeff Okudah

- Andrew Thomas

- Nick Bosa

- Quinnen Williams

- Cleilin Farrell

- Denzel Ward

- Bradley Chubb

Out of all of those(as PROSPECTS) I would even have to think about it for Nick Bosa. I'm taking MHJ over every single one of the rest. 

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

MHJ is special. If there was a pass rushing DE who was at the same level, I'd take the DE. But that guy isn't in this draft; the Colts are set at OT and DT for the moment, and MHJ would be a game changer for the Colts offense. So I'm taking MHJ all day in this draft if I had the chance.

Just now, Hoose said:

MHJ is special. If there was a pass rushing DE who was at the same level, I'd take the DE. But that guy isn't in this draft; the Colts are set at OT and DT for the moment, and MHJ would be a game changer for the Colts offense. So I'm taking MHJ all day in this draft if I had the chance.

I would take the WR between same level talent WR and DE ... or CB... or DT. Assuming blank slate roster I'm drafting for(if I had like 2 amazing WRs and no amazing player at DE or CB, that might change the calculation a bit).

14 minutes ago, Hoose said:

That was my question. If all those positions were elite coming out, who would u take 1st?

21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Hard to see the Colts trading within the Division. Never say never, but its unlikely. 

I meant to say  this. I am not sure the Colts will trade  with a team and say slide back to 18 or lower as  the Jags picking at 17. I would think the Colts and Jags are focusing on the same postions in this draft.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/4/20/24133831/colts-2024-draft-big-board-prediction

Interesting article.

Has 152 players broke down into tiers.

Haven't delved in yet but thought I would post.

Here is the 1st round tiers(since thread is for #15), has 9 total tiers in article.

Tier 1: The Blue Chips, The Round 1 Trade Up Prospects

1. WR Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. QB Caleb Williams

3. LT Joe Alt

4. QB Drake Maye

5. WR Malik Nabers

6. WR Rome Odunze

7. TE Brock Bowers

8. CB Quinyon Mitchell

9. EDGE Dallas Turner

Tier 2: The Red Chips

10. CB Terron Arnold

11. OT Taliese Fuaga

12. OL Troy Fautanu

13. WR Brian Thomas Jr.

14. WR Xavier Worthy

15. DT Byron Murphy II

16. LT Olu Fashanu

17. DB Cooper DeJean

18. DT Johnny Newton

19. EDGE Jared Verse

Tier 3: The Final Round 1 Grades

20. EDGE Laiatu Latu*

21. CB Nate Wiggins*

22. C Jackson Powers Johnson

23. WR Adonai Mitchell

* Potentially not on board due to outliers in athletic testing and size.

I saw somewhere that there are 10 highly graded center prospects in this draft? I wonder if Ballard would go after one of them in the mid rounds with Ryan Kelly now at the age of 30. I mean, Ryan could still play for another 4-6 years but you never know... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I saw somewhere that there are 10 highly graded center prospects in this draft? I wonder if Ballard would go after one of them in the mid rounds with Ryan Kelly now at the age of 30. I mean, Ryan could still play for another 4-6 years but you never know... 

Think it's almost a guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The more  I watch  Ballard's presser, I think he trades back. I thought this was the year to move up but I think he is going to address the offensive line with Smith and Kelly up. To many holes , as he sees it, to move up to acquire secondary starter and Oline depth.

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The more  I watch  Ballard's presser, I think he trades back. I thought this was the year to move up but I think he is going to address the offensive line with Smith and Kelly up. To many holes , as he sees it, to move up to acquire secondary starter and Oline depth.

Same. Trading back is most likely. Like you said earlier though I hope we don’t give away a player to Jacksonville that will come back to haunt us. 

To be honest if Chris feels the roster is as good as he says, then we shouldn’t even need to trade back to fill more holes. Just stand pat and pick… 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

While that may play a small part of it but I doubt enough they won’t execute a trade back. It would only allow moving back one spot. 

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Mid draft, I would.

16 hours ago, w87r said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/4/20/24133831/colts-2024-draft-big-board-prediction

Interesting article.

Here is the 1st round tiers(since thread is for #15), has 9 total tiers in article.

4. QB Drake Mate

But, who is this guy?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

But, who is this guy?

Just the writer of the article. And I'm not saying that in a way that says his opinion is any more important or valid, than anyone else's. He just literally wrote the article.

No one is saying this is the Colts actual list, just their prediction's for the big board. Based off whatever info they used, to put it together.

Just something to look at, nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just the writer of the article. And I'm not saying that in a way that says his opinion is any more important or valid, than anyone else's. He just literally wrote the article.

No one is saying this is the Colts actual list, just their prediction's for the big board. Based off whatever info they used, to put it together.

Just something to look at, nothing more nothing less. 

No sir.  LOL I was asking who is “Drake Mate.”  Obviously a poor attempt at humor on my part.

• Like 2

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

No sir.  LOL I was asking who is “Drake Mate.”  Obviously a poor attempt at humor on my part.

No, it was me, I didn't pop down the quote and see you had that listed. Just thought you quoted whole post and was asking who is the guy that wrote it.

Yeah, I should off caught that on the copy and paste over.

• Like 1

The Jets have two corners within one year of each other.  They don't have the cap space to sign both (colts just freed up space).  Swapping 1st picks also would work for both teams.  The jets need more draft picks and the colts need major help at corner.

Colts get 10th pick and Michael Carter (with new contract)

Jets get 15th pick and 42nd pick and 2025 2nd

• w87r changed the title to Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)
On 4/20/2024 at 12:33 PM, BProland85 said:

For me it depends on how the Colts view Thomas in terms of his route running ability. If he can run numerous routes well he can be a great all around WR. If his routes are limited to deep routes similar to what Pierce is best at, then it’s probably a wasted pick. 

Not really we could draft him  and trade  pierce

On 4/20/2024 at 9:03 AM, Solid84 said:

We have TWO top 10 tackles in Raimann and Smith though? We need depth, sure, but I hope we’re not looking for depth in the 1st round…

It wouldn’t surprise me if they took a C / G in round 3-5

Our RG spot is decent but not a star

Our C spot has an awesome player that has 2-3 years left 

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they took a C / G in round 3-5

Our RG spot is decent but not a star

Our C spot has an awesome player that has 2-3 years left 

Yes to a MID Round OL selection - Quality depth is still an issue.

The closer we get to the draft the more I see Penix Jr. and Bo Nix being projected as possible 1st round selections. Some team will see jump on the skill set of Penix Jr. If Ballard does decide to trade back he should have no trouble finding a trade partner.

Rather see Ballard more aggressive this draft compared to past years rather than go safe on high value picks of good to marginal return with additional picks.

Colts need 2 impact starters out of this draft + depth; Ballard can do this a #15 (Or Higher) and #46 ( Or Higher) in this draft. I hope he stays at 15 and trades up in round 2 to get his highest rated player at positional need, and where the cost to move up is manageable.

Starting to really think Ballard is still craving an edge rusher.  That’s why he tried for Hunter.  If Dallas Turner falls to 10 I think that falls within striking distance for him and he moves up to get him.  He can always get a WR later.

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

To be honest if Chris feels the roster is as good as he says, then we shouldn’t even need to trade back to fill more holes. Just stand pat and pick… 

you know, one thing that I didn’t like about the presser was that I felt like Ballard was comfortable with where we are.  Like I didn’t feel the urgency from him.  I didn’t mention it because he could be displaying a poker face but I really didn’t feel the urgency.  

I guess a better way to explain it, is that it seems like he feels like we have time to build this team.  Personally, I feel like that time is over the minute you get your franchise qb.  Any moves from then on should be to making the team immediately better.  The clock starts ticking.

we’re essentially on year 2 out of 4 with AR.  5 if he turns out to be what we think he can be.  I wouldn’t mind trading back if our targeted player(s) are gone and we can get more possible impact players by trading back.  But that’s it, I don’t think we should trade back for development type players because by the time those players have the opportunity to play, AR will most likely be up or close to his contract and that player will probably be a year or two away from theirs.  Pretty much, we have 2-3 years to contend under ARs cheap contract.  2-3 years sounds like a long time but really isn’t. 

Idk, once again, this is all me just giving my opinion.  But if this is how Ballard truly feels, then he may not be here to see ARs second contract.

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Interesting article.

Tier 1: The Blue Chips, The Round 1 Trade Up Prospects

1. WR Marvin Harrison Jr.

2. QB Caleb Williams

3. LT Joe Alt

4. QB Drake Maye

5. WR Malik Nabers

6. WR Rome Odunze

7. TE Brock Bowers

8. CB Quinyon Mitchell

9. EDGE Dallas Turner

Tier 2: The Red Chips

10. CB Terron Arnold

11. OT Taliese Fuaga

12. OL Troy Fautanu

13. WR Brian Thomas Jr.

14. WR Xavier Worthy

15. DT Byron Murphy II

16. LT Olu Fashanu

17. DB Cooper DeJean

18. DT Johnny Newton

19. EDGE Jared Verse

Tier 3: The Final Round 1 Grades

20. EDGE Laiatu Latu*

21. CB Nate Wiggins*

22. C Jackson Powers Johnson

23. WR Adonai Mitchell

* Potentially not on board due to outliers in athletic testing and size.

This guy is missing players. For example , Payton Wilson is expected to be a 2nd rounder and is not to be found in the 100..