Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

And is anyone giving Titus Leo a chance? The pass rusher we drafted last year? Ballard also mentioned Isaiah Lands(picked up from Cowboys for pass rush) as somebody they like.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

TBH Ballard hasn't really drafted edge or corner early.  I don't consider Paye at 21 early for an ER.  The potential elite go before pick 21.  Usually top 10.  This is the year to move up for Turner.  He is within reach.  That said I wouldn't entirely rule out Ballard trading pick 15 for a starting Edge or WR. 

But Paye wasn't really an ER coming out of UM. He was an L-DE who set the edge well

and offered a bit of pass rush capability. 

At # 41, he'd have been a solid pick. #21 was way too high.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

And is anyone giving Titus Leo a chance? The pass rusher we drafted last year? Ballard also mentioned Isaiah Lands(picked up from Cowboys for pass rush) as somebody they like.

Honestly, late round guys, UDFAs and practice squad pickups need to prove they can play (and not prove they can't) before anyone needs to have more than little to no expectations for them. My opinion of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Honestly, late round guys, UDFAs and practice squad pickups need to prove they can play (and not prove they can't) before anyone needs to have more than little to no expectations for them. My opinion of course.

Agreed, but saying that, I actually think Leo looked the part last year in limited action.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Agreed, but saying that, I actually think Leo looked the part last year in limited action.

I'll be honest, I don't remember, lol. I do think Land actually had some pretty good production from his VERY limited snaps. Hope they ball out this season when they get their chance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I'll be honest, I don't remember, lol. I do think Land actually had some pretty good production from his VERY limited snaps. Hope they ball out this season when they get their chance.

Yeah I thought Land looked good as well.

Not sure how much room there is at Edge, not too many spots, hopefully we can get Leo to Practice Squad or something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So  Chicago is going to draft Wlliams and then give up a chance to draft Nabors so the Colts can? 

I am also a skeptic

Would love to have the kid on the Colts, but I dont think the Bears will allow themselves to be fleeced

I dont see it

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You continue to make the same basic argument that so many here do.    They view young players as players who will not get better when the opposite is true.   

Brents should get better.  So should Jones, so should Flowers.  And the Colts are very likely to take a corner in the first 3-4 rounds.   So the secondary WILL be better.  Experience will make them better.  

To your point Paye has been improving as well.

He quietly got 8.5 sacks last season.

So maybe Ballard sticks with Paye and get ER depth in the later rounds ?

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

If the defensive  player we pick doesn't have a rookie season like Dwight freeney or darious Leonard I don't  want them at 15. Who ever we pick needs to be an immediate impact player. I know Brian thomas jr, odunze, Harrison  or nabors  can be that. Not sure about any of the edge guys or cbs

I mostly agree but I could see Dallas Turner having an immediate impact with possibly 8 sacks as a rookie. Really hope Odunze falls to us or one of the big 3 WR1s falls to 10 overall, well within striking range to get them without having to give up too much. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I mostly agree but I could see Dallas Turner having an immediate impact with possibly 8 sacks as a rookie. Really hope Odunze falls to us or one of the big 3 WR1s falls to 10 overall, well within striking range to get them without having to give up too much. 

I actually see Dallas Turner as an all-or-nothing guy. High ceiling, low floor type of guy. His ceiling to me is Myles Garrett, his floor is Ben Banogu. He's an elite athlete with the potential to be great, but he could crash and burn very easily too. There's no middle to him IMO. If he hits, then he'll get double-digit sacks his rookie year. If he misses, he could only get 2-3 sacks and struggle to learn how to play the game well.

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

No real reason for late round edge, we already have 2 young guys battling there in Leo and Land.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You continue to make the same basic argument that so many here do.    They view young players as players who will not get better when the opposite is true.   

Brents should get better.  So should Jones, so should Flowers.  And the Colts are very likely to take a corner in the first 3-4 rounds.   So the secondary WILL be better.  Experience will make them better.  

Thats the same philosophy that Ballard took with the D and O line not so long ago . He bet in the rookies to make a difference, and they didn't. Paye never developed and Raimann was not good his rookie year. The D line continues to underwhelm and Rainmann looks like a keeper. We cannot go into the year with the plan of they should get better. Brents was hurt a lot and it is a little concerning. The other corners are very late picks, so even if they showed glimpses, I would bank more on them playing like late round picks over a 17 game schedule.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm sure the Colts are gonna give him a chance. As far as fans, gotta put it down on the field before we crown him. Luckily the practice field in training camp is usually enough for us lol.

As a 7th rd DE, his chances are low. Not zero tho so let's see.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Ballard does pretty decent with his late round guys though. The best two of our starting linebackers are later round low pick guys. And Grover comes from a small school. 

21 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Defenses are judged relative to their offenses and achievement of their defensive strategy. Notice, nothing was said about winning and losing, directly. I've seen defenses win and lose football games, just as I have seem good defenses play on the losing side. The Colts signing their own players doesn't tell me much. The Colts bringing Bradley back tells me more, and I'm not encouraged by what that is telling me.

I think the game of football is far more complex and complicated than most people believe. The tendency for many is to think in terms of plug-and-play solutions based on subjective personal opinion. That's not a winning ploy in my book. I guess we'll see what happens as it plays out on the field?

How the Colts pick defensively will tell us a lot about how they are moving forward with regards to Gus and this scheme. If , for example, they draft a man corner, it would suggest a shift in philosophy. If they go with the norm and draft zone corners in the 2nd and 3rd round.  Then I would expect nothing out of this defense and that is based on history.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

The thing with Paye is that Ballard has to make a decision on his 5th year option right after the draft. It's only projected to be $13.4M, but the draft could really influence that. 

Dayo is also set to be a FA. He hasn't really proven he can be a starter yet. And even as a part-time player, he will cost some money to bring back. 

I think something has to give with the ER positions, so a R1 ER is very likely if the board falls that way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jack Doyle was pretty good across the board.

Doyle was serviceable but not quite a Clark.

20 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They haven't had an edge rusher since...........

I was commenting on your remark.   

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thats the same philosophy that Ballard took with the D and O line not so long ago . He bet in the rookies to make a difference, and they didn't. Paye never developed and Raimann was not good his rookie year. The D line continues to underwhelm and Rainmann looks like a keeper. We cannot go into the year with the plan of they should get better. Brents was hurt a lot and it is a little concerning. The other corners are very late picks, so even if they showed glimpses, I would bank more on them playing like late round picks over a 17 game schedule.

This tells me how much you really know.  Raimann had a very good Rookie year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

He wasn't that good for the first 2/3 of the season, but definitely came on that last 1/3.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

He wasn't that good for the first 2/3 of the season, but definitely came on that last 1/3.

Whether it was the last 1/3 or the last 1/2,  whatever the timeline was, once the light went on, Raimann graded out as a top-10 OT the rest of the way.   PFF reported that. 

The scouts said Raimann was smart and learned things quickly.  At some point he certainly proved that.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

He struggled mightily but played better at the end. However, he had a very average rookie year if that. Trust me, very few people walked away saying we have out franchise  LT after his rookie year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whether it was the last 1/3 or the last 1/2,  whatever the timeline was, once the light went on, Raimann graded out as a top-10 OT the rest of the way.   PFF reported that. 

The scouts said Raimann was smart and learned things quickly.  At some point he certainly proved that.  

PFF grades are not absolute. Like I said, he looks like the guy. After his rookie season, a lot of people were still not sure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He struggled mightily but played better at the end. However, he had a very average rookie year if that. Trust me, very few people walked away saying we have out franchise  LT after his rookie year. 

Saying that very few people thought the Colts had their LT of the future is not much of a damning statement.   Fans here won’t believe it until they see a larger sample size.  And media rarely does that kind of deep dive on any given player.   But those of us who followed that miserable season closely knew.    

Was Raimann terrible for the first half-ish of his rookie season?   As bad as humanly possible.   But once he figured it out, he was dramatically better, noticeably better.   It was pretty shocking. 

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

PFF grades are not absolute. Like I said, he looks like the guy. After his rookie season, a lot of people were still not sure

PFF grades are not absolute, I agree.   But his grades didn’t inch up, or go up a decent margin.   Once Raimann figured it out, he graded out as a top-10 OT, not just LT but ALL tackles.  That’s the kind of PFF grade you can rely on. 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Thats not true, he did have a good year.  You are saying its top tier elite edge rusher or bust

I dont even see that in this whole class 

Paye was drafted hoping to be the RDE for years to come. He has been injured and has not developed into that guy.  The Colts  signed the guy from San Fran and moved Paye to LDE. They went after Hunter and couldn't sign him. If they would have signed Hunter, he would have been moved to RDE and the ex San Fran guy (cant spell his name lol) probably to LDE . Paye is not what I call a bust, but he is very average and I expected a lot  more with the 21st pick in the draft. He is probably  a rotational player if they would have signed Hunter. He is a bust if you consider what he was drafted for and he has not managed to fill that spot at RDE. As a player, he does have some worth but more as a rotational piece. To me a bust is if you are out of the league and have no worth to the team that drafted you. Paye is not a complete  bust but if he was traded by the Colts, he probably wouldn't be missed and his spot could be filled by a low end signing in free agency and/or a late round pick in the draft. Hold on. The more I think about it, he fits what is a bust lol....just joking!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

The thing with Paye is that Ballard has to make a decision on his 5th year option right after the draft. It's only projected to be $13.4M, but the draft could really influence that. 

Dayo is also set to be a FA. He hasn't really proven he can be a starter yet. And even as a part-time player, he will cost some money to bring back. 

I think something has to give with the ER positions, so a R1 ER is very likely if the board falls that way. 

Ok I thought I had seen other teams pick up the 5th year option after the 4th year.

I'm betting Ballard picks up the option keeping him here for 2 more years

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

When we drafted Paye I predicted he would be a 6-8 sack a year guy with maybe 1-2 seasons he has a career type year and reaches double digits. We have a new DL coach and maybe he can get more out of him. I feel Paye is performing right around his ceiling. Good but not great player. There is room for him on this roster even on a 2nd contract if paid as #2 or top end rotational player. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Nobody said Doyle was a Clark.  But he was definitely a decent (or better), consistent TE, which was what you originally said.

57 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

They were different.  Clark was a receiving tightend who was pretty much a WR in a tightend body who couldn’t block to save his life.  Doyle was more a traditional tightend that was a great blocker almost a sixth oline man.  Both men were very very good at what they did.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Ok I thought I had seen other teams pick up the 5th year option after the 4th year.

I'm betting Ballard picks up the option keeping him here for 2 more years

The deadline to pick up the option is right after the draft.

Other teams have already picked up options on their guys 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, indykmj said:

But Paye wasn't really an ER coming out of UM. He was an L-DE who set the edge well

and offered a bit of pass rush capability. 

At # 41, he'd have been a solid pick. #21 was way too high.

He was mocked as high as 6th that year and nearly every mock had him gone by 15. I know, I was pounding the table for him that year. Read all the reports and scouting videos to the point I had them memorized. 

the fact we got him at 21 at the time was considered an A+ by all the draft pundits. 

that said, I think he’s been solid but needs to finish more

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Says who?  besides you of course

Huh? He was drafted to be that guy. You know the Freeney. The DE who was going to compliment Buckner. This team rushes with 4. Buckner was thr 3tech. He was the Warren Sapp. Paye was to be the Simeon Rice. It's not really that hard. Paye was not drafted to be the LDE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Paye was not drafted to be the LDE

Again, you know this how?  We needed long term solutions at both DE spots.  Perhaps they drafted him hoping they could improve his pass rush and make him the long term RDE while also knowing that if they couldn't, they'd still have a long term solution at LDE.  

On 4/16/2024 at 10:47 AM, adubb84 said:

Thoughts? Schrager “tends” to be the most accurate mock drafter as he has sourced information based on conversations he has. He has the Colts moving to the 9 spot to grab Nabers. I would be extremely elated. I was also like to point out that the 9 spot is best position to also possibly grab Turner and or Bowers. Don’t think it would take much. Lots of smoke going on..Feels like Ballads may finally move up this year. 9 days left! 

If we got Nabers for a future 2nd I'd be so far over moon

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Again, you know this how?  We needed long term solutions at both DE spots.  Perhaps they drafted him hoping they could improve his pass rush and make him the long term RDE while also knowing that if they couldn't, they'd still have a long term solution at LDE.  

Im done

• Like 1