Brian Thomas JR or Laiatu Latu

Brian Thomas JR or Laiatu Latu   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Sitting at 15 and both of these guys are available

• Brain Thomas JR
    • Laiatu Latu

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Urgh! I hate you! 

I think I'm going all in on Latu. I think he will be great. Don't take this to mean I don't want BTJ. 

Lol gotta keep it intriguing with the guys, almost put Arnold instead but felt this was better.

• Like 2

That's a rough one. I'd say you go with Latu and hope for the best. If he ends up being a star pass rusher then we would have our major three.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Urgh! I hate you! 

I think I'm going all in on Latu. I think he will be great. Don't take this to mean I don't want BTJ. 

Why don’t you want Thomas?

Brian Thomas Jr. for sure.  Have to support your young QB with weapons.  BTjr is closer to Harrison, Nabers, Odunze than whoever you see as the 5th reciever is to BTjr. 

Kind of a moot point as Brian Thomas will be off the board before 15.  He’s getting steamed up

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Why don’t you want Thomas?

He says, he likes both but given the 2 choices, he's going with Latu.

I'd do the same, you can still get a good receiver in this draft class, but not sure if a well developed edge rusher would be available again in this draft class if you don't take Latu. 

• Like 2

I voted BTJ. Latu is the type of pass rusher we need. All of Ballard’s edge rushers have been high ceiling, low floor ultra athlete types. Latu is fairly athletic but is also a technician. So he’d be a good addition.

But we have to build around the QB while he’s on his rookie deal to be able to give him a fair evaluation. To do that he needs weapons. To me Pierce is on borrowed time if we draft a receiver. BTJ has a really high ceiling as a guy who is faster than every receiver currently on our team, but also has nuance to his game to become a 3 level threat. He’s get with Reggie Wayne and you’re talking about a true WR1.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nate! said:

Brian Thomas Jr. for sure.  Have to support your young QB with weapons.  BTjr is closer to Harrison, Nabers, Odunze than whoever you see as the 5th reciever is to BTjr. 

Kind of a moot point as Brian Thomas will be off the board before 15.  He’s getting steamed up

To the bolded, I am not entirely sure of this. He will be the 5th offensive weapon off the board. It will also depend on what you value more the combine or film. The one's who value the combine clammer about him where as the one's who value film higher are lower on him. As he sits right now he is kind of a one trick pony with only 1 year of production, albeit some incredible production. There are a lot of people who have to sell themselves on BTJ and usually if you have to sell yourself on a prospect they have generally fallen in the draft.

I have yet to dive into more then a handful of his games so I don't have a complete opinion of him but I would still say there is a great chance he is there at 15. Also all these are hypothetical lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twfish said:

To the bolded, I am not entirely sure of this. He will be the 5th offensive weapon off the board. It will also depend on what you value more the combine or film. The one's who value the combine clammer about him where as the one's who value film higher are lower on him. As he sits right now he is kind of a one trick pony with only 1 year of production, albeit some incredible production. There are a lot of people who have to sell themselves on BTJ and usually if you have to sell yourself on a prospect they have generally fallen in the draft.

I have yet to dive into more then a handful of his games so I don't have a complete opinion of him but I would still say there is a great chance he is there at 15. Also all these are hypothetical lol

This is what happens after pro days and the Combine, really athletic prospects start getting double credit for their athleticism, media starts hyping them up, someone says 'Player X is climbing draft boards around the league,' etc. It just takes about 30 seconds to see how explosive this dude is, his timed workouts shouldn't change anything. If he was a 25-30ish kind of prospect a few weeks ago, that should still be the case.

I think he'll still be there at #15, and I would be very excited about the Colts drafting him. No question he needs some refinement, but he can produce from Day 1, IMO.

For this poll, I went BTJ over Latu. Age and health are my main concerns with Latu.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is what happens after pro days and the Combine, really athletic prospects start getting double credit for their athleticism, media starts hyping them up, someone says 'Player X is climbing draft boards around the league,' etc. It just takes about 30 seconds to see how explosive this dude is, his timed workouts shouldn't change anything. If he was a 25-30ish kind of prospect a few weeks ago, that should still be the case.

I think he'll still be there at #15, and I would be very excited about the Colts drafting him. No question he needs some refinement, but he can produce from Day 1, IMO.

For this poll, I went BTJ over Latu. Age and health are my main concerns with Latu.

Agreed, combine really should just be used to validate tape, or make you rewatch tape on prospects to see if you missed something. If a guy runs a 4.5 on the field and a 4.3 at the combine then the guy really just runs a 4.5 IMHO. 

If we took BTJ it pretty much takes AP’s role away, would you just cut bait and try and trade him for a later draft pick or do you have them duke it out?

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Agreed, combine really should just be used to validate tape, or make you rewatch tape on prospects to see if you missed something. If a guy runs a 4.5 on the field and a 4.3 at the combine then the guy really just runs a 4.5 IMHO. 

If we took BTJ it pretty much takes AP’s role away, would you just cut bait and try and trade him for a later draft pick or do you have them duke it out?

89c.gif

I guess I'm one of the few that still thinks Pierce can play. Even if he gets bumped down the depth chart, we can find a role for him. I also don't think he has any meaningful trade value right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I do. I just have fallen in love with Latu at this point. 

My bad. I did not read your note clearly enough. 

My reading comprehension is not in mid season form yet. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

My bad. I did not read your note clearly enough. 

My reading comprehension is not in mid season form yet. 

We are still not even in OTAs... tons of time until mid-season :P 

I’d be curious what the Colts medical evaluation on Latu is?   

Either way, WR and DE are my top two positions I want to address.  

1.   WR or DE

2.   DE or WR

3.   Corner

4.    Safety

5.    LB

6.    RB

7.    OL

And I still think the Colts trade down as often as possible.   Perhaps not a lot in each trade, but they will collect more pix just like last year.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d be curious what the Colts medical evaluation on Latu is?   

Either way, WR and DE are my top two positions I want to address.  

1.   WR or DE

2.   DE or WR

3.   Corner

4.    Safety

5.    LB

6.    RB

7.    OL

And I still think the Colts trade down as often as possible.   Perhaps not a lot in each trade, but they will collect more pix just like last year.  

Yeah corner at 3 sounds about right. I hope we don’t trade too far back that we’d miss out of Brian Thomas Jr… Jacksonville could pounce. 

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah corner at 3 sounds about right. I hope we don’t trade too far back that we’d miss out of Brian Thomas Jr… Jacksonville could pounce. 

Id love Thomas in the first as well.   One of my favorites.   

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I would go Latu and see if AD Mitchell slides to early second and trade up 

Or draft Leggett / Pearson / Wilson st 46

This.  Latu, then Leggette in the second 

• Like 1

Hit rate on Edge drops off much worse than WR in 1st round vs later rounds. After the first 3 WR I don’t think it would be worth taking the 4th WR over one of the top Edges in this class. 

I think it’s Latu between these two and not hard to pick. This is granting that his medicals all came back good. 

now it would be harder for me if it were Latu vs Mitchell  

• Like 3

To me it comes down to need vs could use.

The Colts Need a playmaker at WR, with only 3 viable starters currently.

The Colts could use a legitimate pass rusher, better than the at least 5 options they have currently for 2 positions.

Brian Thomas.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 3:23 PM, stitches said:

Urgh! I hate you! 

Wish was granted lol

• Like 4

On 4/1/2024 at 9:34 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I voted BTJ. Latu is the type of pass rusher we need. All of Ballard’s edge rushers have been high ceiling, low floor ultra athlete types. Latu is fairly athletic but is also a technician. So he’d be a good addition.

But we have to build around the QB while he’s on his rookie deal to be able to give him a fair evaluation. To do that he needs weapons. To me Pierce is on borrowed time if we draft a receiver. BTJ has a really high ceiling as a guy who is faster than every receiver currently on our team, but also has nuance to his game to become a 3 level threat. He’s get with Reggie Wayne and you’re talking about a true WR1.

This is why I don’t hate the Latu pick. They went against what they typically draft. And with the way the draft is going, BTJ might go round 2.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that sucks but was probably wishful thinking on my part lol. Maybe Worthy will be there.

Chiefs got him.

I’m sure Coleman or Franklin or Corley will be there at No.46 but hey, we might not like our options and go with something other than WR at No.46

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Chiefs got him.

I’m sure Coleman or Franklin or Corley will be there at No.46 but hey, we might not like our options and go with something other than WR at No.46

I’ll take Franklin. He’s the field stretcher we need but I think with coaching he can be more than that.

On 3/31/2024 at 4:48 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I would go Latu and see if AD Mitchell slides to early second and trade up 

Or draft Leggett / Pearson / Wilson st 46

And the winner is…..

you called it.  And we didn’t even have to trade up for AD, we traded back! Lol

• Like 2