Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 NFL colts draft rounds 5-7

stonehart1234

I'm totally with you on Boykin, I don't like his size at 5'9" but i watched the bowl game against Mich St where he got a safety, td as WR and returned a punt for TD. Had injury problems after Senior Bowl but hoping he drops down to fifth round or we can trade two lower picks to get back into fourth round for him. UGA also lined him up as RB too...could make for viable versatile option for us imo.

I don't think we look at Boykins. His biggest value was his ability to return punts as well....uh we don't need that anymore lol. To me he is a little too small to be an upgrade in the secondary. I do like focusing on defense. Who knows though...perhaps one last offensive weapon in the run game?

CBs:

I see 4 CBs with man capabilities that I like:

1) Josh Norman

2) Omar Bolden

3) Asa Jackson

4) Chris Greenwood

Chris Greenwood from Division III like Pierre Garcon but if one of them is there in round 5, I would love to have them.

LBs:

Tim Fugger, Josh Kaddu, Nigel Bradham, Keenan Robinson, Miles Burris - would certainly like one of them

NTs:

Alameda Ta'amu, Nicolas Jean Baptiste, Hebron Fangupo - would certainly like one of them

DEs:

Malik Jackson, Billy Winn - hopefully one of them is there

OGs:

Ryan Miller, Antoine McClain

Rest can be addressed with UDFAs, IMO.

CBs:

1) Josh Norman

2) Omar Bolden

3) Asa Jackson

4) Chris Greenwood

Chris Greenwood from Division III like Pierre Garcon but if one of them is there in round 5, I would love to have them.

LBs:

Tim Fugger, Josh Kaddu, Nigel Bradham, Keenan Robinson, Miles Burris - would certainly like one of them

NTs:

Alameda Ta'amu, Nicolas Jean Baptiste, Hebron Fangupo - would certainly like one of them

DEs:

I like your list. I wouldn't mind Randall out of Texas if the other DT/NT you list aren't around. I like Tandy, West Virginia, at CB if the ones you list are gone. I still think there could be a OL in this draft, and I like Nix, Pitt. Goode from WVU at ILB too.

I know these are all later picks, but I see guys who could contribute left.

I like your list. I wouldn't mind Randall out of Texas if the other DT/NT you list aren't around. I like Tandy, West Virginia, at CB if the ones you list are gone. I still think there could be a OL in this draft, and I like Nix, Pitt. Goode from WVU at ILB too.

I like Ryan Miller and Antoine McClain too as OG options, if available.

If we keep all our picks, I am sure there will be a value wideout like B.J.Cunningham and value OG added to the offensive side when it is all said and done.

I like Ryan Miller and Antoine McClain too as OG options, if available.

If we keep all our picks, I am sure there will be a value wideout like B.J.Cunningham and value OG added to the offensive side when it is all said and done.

The flash/bang is early, the head knocking, blood-sweat, ugly job guys are always later. And as usual, interior OL and LB has and will have talent through most rounds. And this one happens to have WRs too, I think. Look at the WRs left: Joe Adams, Chris Givens, Nick Toon, Marv Jones, Marvin McNutt, Tommy Streeter, DeVier Posey, and on and on. They could easily go get another later. Heck, finish the Stanford trifecta and take Owusu or Whalen last.

The flash/bang is early, the head knocking, blood-sweat, ugly job guys are always later. And as usual, interior OL and LB has and will have talent through most rounds. And this one happens to have WRs too, I think. Look at the WRs left: Joe Adams, Chris Givens, Nick Toon, Marv Jones, Marvin McNutt, Tommy Streeter, DeVier Posey, and on and on. They could easily go get another later. Heck, finish the Stanford trifecta and take Owusu or Whalen last.

Texans got DeVier Posey.

5. NIck Jean Baptiste NT

5C. Lucas Nix OG

6C. Edwin Baker RB

7. Emanuel Davis CB

7. Chris Owusu

7C. Adrien Cole ILB

I think we are okay at RB, but I'm okay taking one that late. You'd think we have to take at least one NT and CB, right? Might as well create some competition at guard, too. Same with Owusu. Not all our receivers are going to work out. Need depth. Overall, I could live with that.

Well, Grigson said he wanted and needed to draft starters in this draft and he has certainly done that. If he had drafted all defense, most of you would be livid for not helping Luck out (since we mostly lost offensive players on our team). If he had drafted 1 TE and 1 CB, most of you would be happy and yet we wouldn't be able to run the multiple TE sets. We would end up with a subpar TE that eventually we would replace.

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/colts-add-stanford-te-to-lucks-new-toy-collection/cf654931499c4115a29fd889b5a493c2

Indy is expected to finally add some defensive players with its six remaining selections Saturday.

"Sure better," new coach Chuck Pagano joked. Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, he said, "is fighting mad."

But the first two days of the draft have been all about Luck -- and getting him a stronger supporting cast on offense.

Well, Grigson said he wanted and needed to draft starters in this draft and he has certainly done that. If he had drafted all defense, most of you would be livid for not helping Luck out (since we mostly lost offensive players on our team). If he had drafted 1 TE and 1 CB, most of you would be happy and yet we wouldn't be able to run the multiple TE sets. We would end up with a subpar TE that eventually we would replace.

That's our right not only as football fans but as Americans! haha But seriously, I like what we have done. I hope Day Three is also a good day.

actually I would have been happy with one tight end or we could have done two such as

1.Luck

2.Jenkins

3.Allen

4.Criner,McNutt, Nick Toon any of those

5.Ta'amu or Baptiste

6.Nix

7.Owusu

7.Provo

7.Blatnick

and still got the two tight end set

I love the two tight end set idea of course but I wasnt high in the trade of giving up our 4th rounder that could have proen to be more valuable then a slot receiver ( which we already picked up before the draft) or JUST a punt returner, one of the picks above could have done that and Zbykowski can to

5.136 Brandon Boykin CB or Josh Normon CB

5.170 Donte Paige-Moss DE

6.206 Jeff Fuller WR

7.208 Vontaze Burfict ILB

7.214 Cliff Harris CB

7.253 Desmond Wynn OG

Vont would definitely be a nice risk.

I think we are okay at RB, but I'm okay taking one that late. You'd think we have to take at least one NT and CB, right? Might as well create some competition at guard, too. Same with Owusu. Not all our receivers are going to work out. Need depth. Overall, I could live with that.

Definitely agree, I still think the Colts will take a NT eventually. The good news is you don't have to take a NT high to find a solid one. I also agree with the Colts being fine at RB for now. The only RB the Colts IMO should've taken would've been L. James because he's like Darren Sproles. However, I think with a good OL we all know DB is great in space, he just needs to stop running into his blockers backs haha .

Definitely would be fine with that.

LOL well we cant now, dont get me wrong its not that I dont like Fleener and Allen heck we got a potential deadly two tight end set their I like those picks, I just would have prefered Upshaw over Fleener and Streeter in the 4th, I get the logic we actually needed two tight ends though, but as it is we have only Mckinney as a true nose tackle in a 3-4 and we dont know what he can do and we have two experiments at Linebacker one of which is a 14 million dollar experiment that is why I would have liked to keep that 4th round pick

It always amazes me that fans are the true evaluators of talent that is coming into the NFL every year. I don't know why we even have general managers and head coaches involved in the process. I know there are many fans that would love an using an internet poll or tweeting to handle the draft rather than people who have spent their lives learning to evaluate talent.

Two comments by individuals who have spent their lives evaluating talent come to mind:

"Need is a horrible evaluator" - Brian Billick

"Stay true to your board." - Charlie Casserly

Fans almost always would use need as an evaluator and we have no idea what the Colts draft board looks like.

Since we no longer have Bill Polian to lean on or Chris Polian to hate, we have to wait awhile to see whether or not Grigson and Pagano know more than we do.

5th - Ron Brooks, CB, LSU

5th (comp) - Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado

6th (comp) - Nicholas Jean-Baptiste, NT, Baylor

7th - John Cullen, OT, Utah

7th - Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame

7th (comp) - Ryan Van Bergen, DE, Michigan

CBs:

1) Josh Norman

2) Omar Bolden

3) Asa Jackson

4) Chris Greenwood

LBs:

NTs:

DEs:

OGs:

Ryan Miller, Antoine McClain

Asa Jackson, I hope is still around at No.170. Last CB worth something in man coverages, IMO.

The guys in bold that I wanted, are still there.