Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Important Read!

NewColtsFan

So Joel Erickson is out with a long thoughtful piece about the Colts off-season.   And I believe the story is FREE to everyone, even if you don’t have a subscription to Indystar.   It’s a view of what the Colts want to do going forward with the benefit of the 30,000 foot perspective.   Big picture.  

I think everyone will be interested and maybe even excited.  Honestly, I’d say read it twice, there’s lots of good information in there that clearly came from Steichen and Ballard.  

I think it’ll give fans good reason to be optimistic going forward.  

So go to Indystsr.com, go to the sports section and click on Erickson story.  I think you’ll be glad you did!  

If someone wants to link it here, my thanks in advance!    :worthy:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Joel Erickson is out with a long thoughtful piece about the Colts off-season.   And I believe the story is FREE to everyone, even if you don’t have a subscription to Indystar.   It’s a view of what the Colts want to do going forward with the benefit of the 30,000 foot perspective.   Big picture.  

I think everyone will be interested and maybe even excited.  Honestly, I’d say read it twice, there’s lots of good information in there that clearly came from Steichen and Ballard.  

So go to Indystsr.com, go to the sports section and click on Erickson story.  I think you’ll be glad you did!  

I'll check it out. I want to be excited about this team. Maybe this could make me more optimistic.

Thanks! :thmup:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I'd like to get a burner at WR in the draft, and I want Brock Bowers even more now. Get Richardson a couple big weapons that can make big plays. That's what we are lacking. An elite CB in FA that can prevent explosive plays would be nice as well. I think the team is good enough where we can fix our weaknesses in one offseason as long as we re-sign some of our players in FA like Pittman, Stewart, and Blackmon.

• Like 3

Good read.

we are definitely in prime position and not as far off as the media makes us to be.  This off-season is so important because everything is aligned.  We have the coach, we have the qb, we have the cap room, we have a good draft position.  We have to capitalize on all fronts this off-season.  

and I agree with the philosophy.  Even though we just saw a sb that lacked the explosiveness, we saw what an off script qb can do, and we possibly will have one of the best.  This defense needs to get nasty.  This offense needs to get explosive.  And honestly, I think we have the GM to get it.  Problem is, will he do it?

• Like 2

It was a nice read but pretty much a little more extrapolation of his year end press conference.  A few more statistics about our year end performance numbers which reinforces what Ballard said.  Need more explosiveness on both sides of the ball.  Let’s hope he does something to get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish Isaiah Rodgers didn’t do that bone headed mistake. Something tells me he’s going to play well for the Eagles next year. One less extra piece to focus on. The hype that Brock is getting he’s not falling unless we move up.

8 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I wish Isaiah Rodgers didn’t do that bone headed mistake. Something tells me he’s going to play well for the Eagles next year. One less extra piece to focus on. The hype that Brock is getting he’s not falling unless we move up.

That is OK, that would mean an elite defensive back or pass rusher or even WR could fall, all works for us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is OK, that would mean an elite defensive back or pass rusher or even WR could fall, all works for us.

Yeah 15 is a good spot because they’ll be plenty of GMs that’ll overthink themselves.

45 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

If he is reinstated.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he is reinstated.  

Yeah with it coming out over the last couple of weeks the types of bets he made, it’ll be very surprising if he’s back next year. The number of bets and the types were far worse than even Ridley’s so I think the league keeps him banned thru next season. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Exactly. Of course, if Bowers does last to the 15th pick you run that choice straight up to the podium. 

• Like 1

I'll say every team including the patriots that have won supebowls plural, all had game changing tight ends hence the chiefs and the 9ers all have game changing tight ends. Gronk and Brady, Mahomes and kelce etc. I'd love for us to get Bowers but very much doubt he will be there at 15 so...........

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think you can X out the box showing the options then you can read it.

Nope. I’ve read too many Indy Star Articles. Can’t get by subscribing.  It’s ok. I’ll hear him on Kevin Bowen’s show….

I read the article, it is a good read. Thanks @NewColtsFan. Regarding our local media as a whole though, even go back to the Manning days, many are not the brightest. I like some and some I don't. Many seem to put our team down no matter what over the years, they even did it while Manning was here. I won't mention any names, but they have, including recently 2 people that follow the Colts for a living picking us to win 3 games which is a huge insult in my book. 

I am a nobody - I admit it, I knew we would win at least 8 games last season though. How does that happen? It happens because I know the game of football better than most media people. Not bragging but my predictions are usually more spot on than most that work in that industry. Look at my weekly pick threads, I was 173-99 over 18 weeks = 63.6% right. I was 8-5 in the Playoffs = 61.5% and picked the SB winner right before the game. Before the season, I had a Ravens vs Lions SB, missed it barely. People were laughing at my Lions pick, they barely lost in the NFC Title and was up big. I picked Lamar Jackson to win MVP before the season, I guess my Crystal ball is better than most. chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nothing new for me in that story. Those were quotes from Ballards end of year presser. 

So Steichen says he Gus, Rodney Thomas is terrible in single high, quit playing that excrement.

Yip, AR can use his powerful arm to attack the whole field. And he impressed me how well he was processing things considering his lack of experience. We will see if Steichen can build something over the next couple years that can be relevant.

Nothing new here, so pray Steichen can have great influence in FA and the draft. Be concerned though, what a huge Red Flag signing CB Baker. That means Ballard and Gus think their model is "sufficient". Oh joy!

Good read, and there’s no argument that we need another playmaker.

But if I’m Alec Pierce, I call up AR and say “Whenever you start throwing, I want to be there.  I don’t care if you’re throwing ping pong balls or a football ten yards, I want to catch it.”

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good read, and there’s no argument that we need another playmaker.

But if I’m Alec Pierce, I call up AR and say “Whenever you start throwing, I want to be there.  I don’t care if you’re throwing ping pong balls or a football ten yards, I want to catch it.”

I have NO DOUBT AR and his receiving core will spend extra time together for the rest of his career. He must keep that throwing arm healthy.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

i don't know how to read

On 2/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, JediXMan said:

Honestly I think we ended up better off. Brent’s is a baller and from what I saw, I think Jaylon Jones is better than Rogers and Flowers. We need another elite corner.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:54 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I read the article, it is a good read. Thanks @NewColtsFan. Regarding our local media as a whole though, even go back to the Manning days, many are not the brightest. I like some and some I don't. Many seem to put our team down no matter what over the years, they even did it while Manning was here. I won't mention any names, but they have, including recently 2 people that follow the Colts for a living picking us to win 3 games which is a huge insult in my book. 

I am a nobody - I admit it, I knew we would win at least 8 games last season though. How does that happen? It happens because I know the game of football better than most media people. Not bragging but my predictions are usually more spot on than most that work in that industry. Look at my weekly pick threads, I was 173-99 over 18 weeks = 63.6% right. I was 8-5 in the Playoffs = 61.5% and picked the SB winner right before the game. Before the season, I had a Ravens vs Lions SB, missed it barely. People were laughing at my Lions pick, they barely lost in the NFC Title and was up big. I picked Lamar Jackson to win MVP before the season, I guess my Crystal ball is better than most. chuckling homer simpson GIF.

Some might say your bragging and give compliments like they were throwing man hole covers.....but its not Bragging if true and facts are you are right often and don't mind putting your thoughts out there. 

Now I will give some facts too. Not only did I predict the colts.would.contend for division with about 9wins, I also predicted they along with.Houston would contend for the division.

How many fans of colts & Texans or media people do you think predicted Both teams would contend for the division??? ......not many others I don't think. 

I will agree that our crystal balls seem better than most. LoL

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Some might say your bragging and give compliments like they were throwing man hole covers.....but its not Bragging if true and facts are you are right often and don't mind putting your thoughts out there. 

Now I will give some facts too. Not only did I predict the colts.would.contend for division with about 9wins, I also predicted they along with.Houston would contend for the division.

How many fans of colts & Texans or media people do you think predicted Both teams would contend for the division??? ......not many others I don't think. 

I will agree that our crystal balls seem better than most. LoL

Sometimes I think some probably do think I brag if I get a prediction right and boast about it lol, but the difference between me and most people are, I am not afraid to predict/put my thoughts where my mouth is. I trust my football knowledge because I have seen it all since 1977 when I 1st started watching. So, If I get something right, I am just happy about it.

I have been wrong some as well. I crapped the bed with my 2022 prediction of how the Colts would do. I will at least admit when I am wrong too. I was wrong there. I am usually right more than I am wrong though, proof of that was when I created the 18 Weekly Picking Games Thread. Picking 272 games before every game was played and 10 people participated and I finished tied for 1st with @Moeby going 173-99, that is a winning % of 63.6. I also picked the Chiefs to beat the 49ers before the game last Sunday. 

Every prediction I make has been posted in here, so everyone knows I am not a liar which makes it more satisfying. 

In here, my before season pick for the Colts since 2018 has been:

2018 = 10-6 (make the Playoffs). I nailed it. I knew with Luck back, he was good for 10 wins.

2019 = 8-8 (no Playoffs). We went 7-9. I missed by 1 game.

2020 = 11-5 (make the Playoffs). I nailed it. I bet on Rivers being good and was right!

2021 = 10-7 (make the Playoffs). We went 9-8 and missed the Playoffs. Still, I wasn't too far off. I missed by 1 game.

2022 = 11-6 (make the Playoffs and win the Division). That was my 1 GOOFHomer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV. We went 4-12-1. I have never been more fooled in my life, crap happens though. I thought Matt Ryan would be similar to Rivers and we would have 2021 Taylor. That whole season was a cluster suck!

2023 = 8-8-1 (No Playoffs). We went 9-8 and missed the Playoffs. I missed my prediction by a half game.

I have never picked us to win the Conference or SB over the last 6 seasons (2018-2023) because I know we have never had the teams to do so. 

@NewColtsFanI apologize for going way off topic but I was responding to Palmbeacher. I did read the article you posted. Thanks for everything you do in here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:54 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dude, how many ribs did you have to have removed before you could submit that post? lmao

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes I think some probably do think I brag if I get a prediction right and boast about it lol, but the difference between me and most people are, I am not afraid to predict/put my thoughts where my mouth is. I trust my football knowledge because I have seen it all since 1977 when I 1st started watching. So, If I get something right, I am just happy about it.

I have been wrong some as well. I crapped the bed with my 2022 prediction of how the Colts would do. I will at least admit when I am wrong too. I was wrong there. I am usually right more than I am wrong though, proof of that was when I created the 18 Weekly Picking Games Thread. Picking 272 games before every game was played and 10 people participated and I finished tied for 1st with @Moeby going 173-99, that is a winning % of 63.6. I also picked the Chiefs to beat the 49ers before the game last Sunday. 

Every prediction I make has been posted in here, so everyone knows I am not a liar which makes it more satisfying. 

In here, my before season pick for the Colts since 2018 has been:

2018 = 10-6 (make the Playoffs). I nailed it. I knew with Luck back, he was good for 10 wins.

2019 = 8-8 (no Playoffs). We went 7-9. I missed by 1 game.

2020 = 11-5 (make the Playoffs). I nailed it. I bet on Rivers being good and was right!

2021 = 10-7 (make the Playoffs). We went 9-8 and missed the Playoffs. Still, I wasn't too far off. I missed by 1 game.

2022 = 11-6 (make the Playoffs and win the Division). That was my 1 GOOFHomer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV. We went 4-12-1. I have never been more fooled in my life, crap happens though. I thought Matt Ryan would be similar to Rivers and we would have 2021 Taylor. That whole season was a cluster suck!

2023 = 8-8-1 (No Playoffs). We went 9-8 and missed the Playoffs. I missed my prediction by a half game.

I have never picked us to win the Conference or SB over the last 6 seasons (2018-2023) because I know we have never had the teams to do so. 

@NewColtsFanI apologize for going way off topic but I was responding to Palmbeacher. I did read the article you posted. Thanks for everything you do in here.

Appreciate the apology, but it was certainly not necessary.   This is the time of year where topics can get knocked off track easily.  Hey, it happens.  We’re good! 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, J@son said:

Aww that's not true.  It can be both :sip:

Problem too is, unless you actually talk to someone in person, you can't really tell what kind of person they are. My only source of communication is through posting by words. There are a handful of people in here that I can't stand the way they post but if I met them in person, I may like them more than I like some in here just by chatting. I have actually learned a lot from some others in here which is cool in my book :thmup:

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's cool. Just asking a question, how many predictions have you made in here to back up your knowledge? I do it all the time. 

Predictions really don't mean anything.  It's a guess.  Just like everything.  If you guessed the Colts went 2-16 it doesn't mean you were an *.   It just means it's very improbable to predict an NFL season.   Did you predict  JT would be out multiple weeks?  How about AR goes down and Minshew would win as many games as he did?  Predictions are just that.   People in vegas get paid millions to predict and they still get it wrong.   I love you as a poster here,  and one of my favorites.  But no one knows .  Unless you believe @LJpalmbeacher2and @Yoshinatorthat is all rigged.   And I know you're more intelligent than that

• Thanks 1