Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Draft Pick

compuls1v3

Colts 2024 Pick  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Colts do with their draft pick at 15?

• Trade it for a player?
    • Trade down in the draft for more picks?

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You could make a case for a player at any position fitting a need.  Including QB.

Go ahead.  Try making the case for drafting another QB the year after drafting Anthony Richardson.  

This quarterback would not play his whole first year.   And if AR has a good 2024, thus QB wouldn’t play in 25 unless AR gets hurt.   But that’s what a veteran backup is for.   So what’s the case?   I’d like to read this….   

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

You’re mixing up your argument.  Yes, I said the odds are that Ballard won’t select a QB.  Obvious.

Then I gave the legitimate case if he did select one.  capisci?

Hard to get your point as there is no need for the Colts to select a QB at pick 1.15. Sure , you can make a case for anything., IMO , it would take Ballard having a lobotomy to do so. What QB at 15 would possibly be a better prospect than AR ? I understand what your saying as your really not smarter than I am . What i'm saying is there is no case to select a QB at that point in the draft . It's laughable as it would be QB # 4 or 5 in this draft. Comprende ?  

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Go ahead.  Try making the case for drafting another QB the year after drafting Anthony Richardson.  

This quarterback would not play his whole first year.   And if AR has a good 2024, thus QB wouldn’t play in 25 unless AR gets hurt.   But that’s what a veteran backup is for.   So what’s the case?   I’d like to read this….   

I guess you can make a case for drafting a kicker as Gay missed some FGs ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I guess you can make a case for drafting a kicker as Gay missed some FGs ?  

You could?    I think we gave Gay a 4-year contract and Gay slumped when he was hurt but kicked anyway.    But go ahead, try making an argument….   

12 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Hmm...why isn't just picking a player at #15 an option.

Truth is, I had several options originally, but I think I forgot to check the box for multiple choice.  My apologies for a less than ideal poll!!

Guess I will be in the minority and vote Trade Alert

Colts send 15th pick in the NFL draft to Las Vegas Raiders in exchange for Edge Maxx Crosby.  Seen a few here posting how we need a proven edge player and Crosby excels both as a pass-rusher and as a run stuffer.  Maxx is already a potential future HOF with three consecutive Pro Bowl selections.  The Colts pulled off a similar trade with DeFoerst Buckner and the 49ers and now the Raiders are in need of a QB.  Combining picks 13 and the Colts 15th pick would help them add needed draft capital in order to make the move for a QB.

Crosby worked under Coach Bradley in 2021 on record saying "He’s a ball of energy and that’s what you want in a coach.  He’s a big positive influence in this building and I’m looking forward to playing under him.”   The Raiders would then be smart and designate Crosby with a Post 6/1 trade freeing up $19m in cap space which they could use. 

Crosby already on record saying a trade request could be on the table if Antonio Pierce was not hired as their HC.  He was already upset with owner Mark Davis choosing Chase McDaniels over Bisaccia previously.  Continue to monitor the situation in Vegas but even if Pierce was named HC I would still like to see the Colts add Maxx Crosby especially with both Paye and Odeyingbo upcoming free agents next off-season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No problem.  Here it is:

The QB is the most important position.  Your franchise success is dependent on him.  (For the sake of brevity I won’t go into reasons.  We all know it starts with the QB).

The Colts have a rookie QB that finished two games.  He is still an unknown, both health wise and performance.  If the Colts can get a QB at 15 that they rate higher this season than AR was last year, the chances of franchise success doubles.

They compete for the starting job.   Loser is a cheap(er) backup.  

Again, I’m not advocating it, I’m saying a case can be made for it.  You can disagree, but then you’re saying we should put all the eggs in one basket.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You could?    I think we gave Gay a 4-year contract and Gay slumped when he was hurt but kicked anyway.    But go ahead, try making an argument….   

You lost track of our thread I believe. That was sarcasm. 

No problem.  Here it is:

The QB is the most important position.  Your franchise success is dependent on him.  (For the sake of brevity I won’t go into reasons.  We all know it starts with the QB).

The Colts have a rookie QB that finished two games.  He is still an unknown, both health wise and performance.  If the Colts can get a QB at 15 that they rate higher this season than AR was last year, the chances of franchise success doubles.

Again, I’m not advocating it, I’m saying a case can be made for it.  You can disagree, but then you’re saying we should put all the eggs in one basket.  

This is kind of where I am at.  There is nothing that occured this season that gives me the confidence that Richardson is durable.  I have hope that he can be good IF HE STAYS HEALTHY, but that is completely up in the air right now.  He could go on to not miss another game for 15 years, but if I am a betting man- he will miss a few games a year, and we will need a good young back up.  

Ideally, I would like that backup to have a similar skillset to Richardson so we can develop the same O that becomes sort of interchangeable with either guy- like what the Ravens have with Lamar and Hundley. 

Having said that, I don't think we can spend that pick on a QB in the first round.  There is no way.  We have too many bigger holes to fill, and the promise of AR and his draft slot alone provides that we need to spend our first round capital elsewhere this year. 

If this were the same conversation next year (AR was injured AGAIN for most of the year), then you absolutely use a first on QB- and I would assume that it's a new GM making that pick. For now though, our wagon is hitched to AR. 

I am okay with a QB in the third round that is athletic.  I still think Sam E is likely a better option to run our system if AR goes down, but I digress.  There is a reason he is still rostered. 

I think Ballard definitely goes WR or literally BPA at 15 this year (or even a slight trade back is likely). If someone like Nabers falls to 12-13, maybe a trade up?  Bowers at 15 seems right too.  I like these players here. I don't think we take a CB that high because we value zone corners in our scheme which can be had in droves in the 2nd and 3rd round. 

Should be a very interesting draft, especially after seeing what happens in FA this year.  This is the first year that I truly feel we will dip on a player or two.  But it will likely be a safety and a linebacker. Cheapest spots to pay top dollar for, which aligns with Ballards MO. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Guess I will be in the minority and vote Trade Alert

Colts send 15th pick in the NFL draft to Las Vegas Raiders in exchange for Edge Maxx Crosby.  Seen a few here posting how we need a proven edge player and Crosby excels both as a pass-rusher and as a run stuffer.  Maxx is already a potential future HOF with three consecutive Pro Bowl selections.  The Colts pulled off a similar trade with DeFoerst Buckner and the 49ers and now the Raiders are in need of a QB.  Combining picks 13 and the Colts 15th pick would help them add needed draft capital in order to make the move for a QB.

Crosby worked under Coach Bradley in 2021 on record saying "He’s a ball of energy and that’s what you want in a coach.  He’s a big positive influence in this building and I’m looking forward to playing under him.”   The Raiders would then be smart and designate Crosby with a Post 6/1 trade freeing up $19m in cap space which they could use. 

Crosby already on record saying a trade request could be on the table if Antonio Pierce was not hired as their HC.  He was already upset with owner Mark Davis choosing Chase McDaniels over Bisaccia previously.  Continue to monitor the situation in Vegas but even if Pierce was named HC I would still like to see the Colts add Maxx Crosby especially with both Paye and Odeyingbo upcoming free agents next off-season. 

That's an intriguing scenario.  Do we trade the 15th for Crosby just like we traded the 13th for Buckner?  Especially if the Prime Time players that we have targeted all get picked by that time.

15 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

This is kind of where I am at.  There is nothing that occured this season that gives me the confidence that Richardson is durable.  I have hope that he can be good IF HE STAYS HEALTHY, but that is completely up in the air right now.  He could go on to not miss another game for 15 years, but if I am a betting man- he will miss a few games a year, and we will need a good young back up.  

Ideally, I would like that backup to have a similar skillset to Richardson so we can develop the same O that becomes sort of interchangeable with either guy- like what the Ravens have with Lamar and Hundley. 

Having said that, I don't think we can spend that pick on a QB in the first round.  There is no way.  We have too many bigger holes to fill, and the promise of AR and his draft slot alone provides that we need to spend our first round capital elsewhere this year. 

If this were the same conversation next year (AR was injured AGAIN for most of the year), then you absolutely use a first on QB- and I would assume that it's a new GM making that pick. For now though, our wagon is hitched to AR. 

I am okay with a QB in the third round that is athletic.  I still think Sam E is likely a better option to run our system if AR goes down, but I digress.  There is a reason he is still rostered. 

I think Ballard definitely goes WR or literally BPA at 15 this year (or even a slight trade back is likely). If someone like Nabers falls to 12-13, maybe a trade up?  Bowers at 15 seems right too.  I like these players here. I don't think we take a CB that high because we value zone corners in our scheme which can be had in droves in the 2nd and 3rd round. 

Should be a very interesting draft, especially after seeing what happens in FA this year.  This is the first year that I truly feel we will dip on a player or two.  But it will likely be a safety and a linebacker. Cheapest spots to pay top dollar for, which aligns with Ballards MO. 

To be clear, I'm not saying we should pick a QB in the first round.  I'm just saying you could make that case.  For all of the reasons you and I stated.  The position is so important that you want to minimize your risk there.  I think AR has it all, but that's a guess at this point.  

I bet that Jayden Daniels has a higher rating this year than AR did last year on the Colts board.  It's possible he could be there at 15.  But I think Ballard will live or die with AR.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

No problem.  Here it is:

I completely disagree…

And I am not saying put the eggs in one basket.   I’m saying have a veteran quarterback to play if AR gets hurt.  Whether it’s Minshew or someone else,  a vet will be ready to play and win.   A rookie rarely is.  And that rookie that you drafted will either not get many snaps of practice while AR is healthy, so that will slow his development. 

And in the meantime, the opportunity to draft an explosive playmaker on either side of the ball has vanished. 

Sorry, I don’t find this convincing. .  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

That's an intriguing scenario.  Do we trade the 15th for Crosby just like we traded the 13th for Buckner?  Especially if the Prime Time players that we have targeted all get picked by that time.

If the Raiders are wanting to move up for their QB of the future then the deal I would think has to be made in advance of the NFL draft to allow thrm to move up but still with a post June trade designation.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I completely disagree…

And I am not saying put the eggs in one basket.   I’m saying have a veteran quarterback to play if AR gets hurt.  Whether it’s Minshew or someone else,  a vet will be ready to play and win.   A rookie rarely is.  And that rookie that you drafted will either not get many snaps of practice while AR is healthy, so that will slow his development. 

And in the meantime, the opportunity to draft an explosive playmaker on either side of the ball has vanished. 

Sorry, I don’t find this convincing. .  

Again, I'm not suggesting we draft another QB, I'm just saying there's a case to be made.

In your scenario (worst case) AR gets hurt and we have a veteran take us through another year like the last one.  Even though we may win, maybe even make the playoffs, no one is very excited because we know it's not the team of the future.

In the scenario where we draft a QB (I'm using Daniels as an example) one would win the starting job.  If he gets hurt, it's sort of like the Cousins/RG3 year.  (I know Cousins was a 3rd round pick, it's just an example.)

The argument is moot, whether you're convinced or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Again, I'm not suggesting we draft another QB, I'm just saying there's a case to be made.

In your scenario (worst case) AR gets hurt and we have a veteran take us through another year like the last one.  Even though we may win, maybe even make the playoffs, no one is very excited because we know it's not the team of the future.

In the scenario where we draft a QB (I'm using Daniels as an example) one would win the starting job.  If he gets hurt, it's sort of like the Cousins/RG3 year.  (I know Cousins was a 3rd round pick, it's just an example.)

The argument is moot, whether you're convinced or not.

For the record,  Cousins was drafted in the 4thR.   

As for no kne being very excited, that’s a speak for yourself comment.   I found this year to be one of the most enjoyable of my Colts years.   Honestly. 

Regarding any team with QB issues your HC won’t last long without a QB who can get your team to the playoffs.  

I may have missed who our backup QB would be behind AR.  I still wouldn’t give up on the Justin Fields debate as a contingency plan or someone who compliments AR game style. 

Dream world scenario guess would be like my previous post trade P15 for Edge Maxx Crosby and R2 to Bears for Fields 2024 cheaper contract if take it over than resigning Minshew…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the record,  Cousins was drafted in the 4thR.   

As for no kne being very excited, that’s a speak for yourself comment.   I found this year to be one of the most enjoyable of my Colts years.   Honestly. 

Oh, I agree the season was fun.  It was rewarding to know that we have a HC who's smart and demanding.

But, to me, it was weird.  I wanted to win every game and to make the playoffs.  But in the back of my mind it was still a lost season in a way.  I'm pretty sure a lot of others felt that same way.  And you saw all the posts from people wanting us to tank for a higher draft pick.  I'm definitely not in that crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Regarding any team with QB issues your HC won’t last long without a QB who can get your team to the playoffs.  

I may have missed who our backup QB would be behind AR.  I still wouldn’t give up on the Justin Fields debate as a contingency plan or someone who compliments AR game style. 

Dream world scenario guess would be like my previous post trade P15 for Edge Maxx Crosby and R2 to Bears for Fields 2024 cheaper contract if take it over than resigning Minshew…

Crosby would be a nice add.  But I think Fields would not be happy being a backup.  There's a rumor they may trade him to Atlanta, where he'd most likely be a starter.

I think or hope the Colts will select a QB in the 1st round to either compete with AR and Ehlinger.  AR plays a style as he stated that he will not change the way he plays, and could be more vulnerable to injury.  I say pick Bo Nix in the 1st round even if you have to move up, saw his highlights and appears to be the real deal....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think or hope the Colts will select a QB in the 1st round to either compete with AR and Ehlinger.  AR plays a style as he stated that he will not change the way he plays, and could be more vulnerable to injury.  I say pick Bo Nix in the 1st round even if you have to move up, saw his highlights and appears to be the real deal....

If Ballard moves up to draft Bo Nix , I will donate $1000 to your favorite charity.  

• Like 2

The Colts have multiple needs to improve the team, with playmakers, not camp bodies. There is zero possibility that using a first round pick on a backup quaterback happens ( No, not a competing QB with  the last drafts 4th pick overall) . The value of a 1st rounder, the 5 yeard control, is invaluable if you get it right, not for a 5 year back up QB. Free Agency might bring 1-3 potential starters, the draft will fill the rest. WR,CB,LB, S, OL, Edge, RB, DL come far before back up QB.

My prediction - when it comes to the 15th pick in the draft we'll hear:

"The Indianapolis Colts have traded their pick..."

We need a playmaker, on either side of the ball.  Yes, we have many needs and they would be better filled if we had more draft picks.  

Everyone wants a WR, and I have no problem with that.  But I think Pierce will excel with AR and Downs is already good.  MPJ is a stud, and a chain mover.

At one point I thought we had too many TE's on the roster, but that dwindled fast.  Woods is a question mark, as is Ogletree.  MAC is adequate at best.   I like both Mallory and Granson, but they basically bring the same thing.  Bowers would look good in Blue and White.

• Like 1

We need a playmaker, on either side of the ball.  Yes, we have many needs and they would be better filled if we had more draft picks.  

Everyone wants a WR, and I have no problem with that.  But I think Pierce will excel with AR and Downs is already good.  MPJ is a stud, and a chain mover.

At one point I thought we had too many TE's on the roster, but that dwindled fast.  Woods is a question mark, as is Ogletree.  MAC is adequate at best.   I like both Mallory and Granson, but they basically bring the same thing.  Bowers would look good in Blue and White.

If we go offense, Bowers would be a great pick. 

Verse should be within reach if we go defense. Hopefully taking some pressure of the secondary. 🤞

• Like 1

I think there is 20 or so solid 1st round quality picks in this draft. If we trade back, I don't imagine it'll be further than 5-6 picks at this point. However, I could be wrong and Ballards board could be different than mine. Maybe the pro bowl, combine, senior bowl, etc... add more clarity to whom is ranked where. Interviews are a big deal as well. 

I'm going to say in the end, Ballard will trade back, but no more than 6-8 spots. We will accumulate an extra 2nd this year, and maybe a future day 3 pick in 2025 to have 8 picks that year as well. That's a Ballard thing to do IMO. 

19 minutes ago, jemack said:

If we go offense, Bowers would be a great pick. 

Verse should be within reach if we go defense. Hopefully taking some pressure of the secondary. 🤞

If Verse last to 15 we better take him.  We should get Flowers back, so the CB group isn't too bad.

But I'd rather give AR another playmaker.  Either Bowers or a WR like Thomas from LSU.

However, I fully expect Ballard to trade the pick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If Verse last to 15 we better take him.  We should get Flowers back, so the CB group isn't too bad.

But I'd rather give AR another playmaker.  Either Bowers or a WR like Thomas from LSU.

History no doubt is on your side.

6 yrs since we've had a complete TE. I believe our WRs will be fine with AR. 

A stud TE gives him more options. IMO of course.

• Like 3

We have to get a starter at that 15 th pick. On offense, the only positions open are TE and WR.

On defense, CB, Safety (none in this draft worth that high of a pick) can start right away. If we pick an Edge player, he will backup Paye so that's questionable. We have Dayo and probably bring back Lewis too. At this point I'm done with Ballard picking Edge players. Seems like we've wasted 10 picks on edge players, and we still don't have one that's consistent and demands attention. I would rather him get a proven one through trade/FA.

To me it's CB or WR/TE (I prefer) We need to get AR weapons.

I could see Ballard selecting CB Terrion Arnold with the 15th pick.  Colts are very thin in the secondary. Ballard  has already alluded to the need to solidify the safety position, and Arnold transitioned from free safety to CB at Alabama.  He was a 1st Team All-American who had 63 total tackles and, led the SEC in interception in 2023. He can also return kickoffs.   

Hoping foremost Bowers slips as the Top 3 WR’s will be gone. If not, Arnold would be a versatile day one starter with high potential.

• Like 1

I expected to read about whether we should go WR or CB at 15. Instead people really want to draft a backup QB? That's an awful move and how you get fired. Even if we do need a backup, you can find one in free agency, or draft on in day 3. Drafting a QB just to play backup when we have needs elsewhere is asinine.

I think it's WR/TE. CB can be signed through free agency. You only need a good, not great CB group. I'd try to trade up for Bowers if he falls pass 8. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

How important is CB if we play zone most of the time? Linebacker and Edge would be more important for us to draft wouldnt it be?

100%

Good zone CBs can be found laterin the draft. 

On 1/20/2024 at 1:53 PM, Smonroe said:

If we take Bowers in the first we still could get a good wr in the second or third. I just don't  want defense  in the first unless they are going to have a Darius Leonard  like rookie year.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Chris Ballard wouldnt do it now but if there was a new GM i could see taking 2-3 QBs in this class in spite of having AR on the team.   Personally i'd rather have Williams or Maye over him

They will go before our pick but I would take them if we could.  They could try Anthony at RB and back up QB, maybe some WR