Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No coach of the year for Shane

After looking at the play over and over, the play was a designed throw to the inside (Goodson turns inside for the ball), Minshew threw it to the outside, and Goodson's feet got crossed up once he realized the ball was accidentally thrown to the outside.  But, you will also notice that a defender who was being blocked on that side threw his arms up and Minshew had to throw the tight ball without getting it batted, so there's that little item too, which could have altered Minshew's decision to throw it inside.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I wish Eli Manning didn't think that way when he threw it up to David Tyree, and Peyton didn't think that way by throwing to Bryan Fletcher, our backup TE for a key 3rd down conversion in the game winning 2006 AFCCG drive. Sometimes there are unsung heroes for a reason, Goodson just didn't make the play.

The David Tyree play was not designed it was desperation to avoid a sack huge difference.  Also Fletcher’s catch was second down and wasn’t fourth down with the game on the line.

• Like 3

The Colts have shown they have a lot of structural problems to overcome. It's not fun watching a group of talented players play sandlot football against any actual professional football team. I'm not convinced the Colts would recognize good coaching if they had one arrive on their doorstep.

I'm not blaming any one person. I'm blaming all of them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Shaking my head!!!!! This is a SOLID team that had HORRIBLE coaching last season and in general overall that led to a 4 win campaign. Gus and most of his defensive staff are the holdovers and I dare say should've been let go also LAST season along with Reich, his offensive staff and later on the no experience Jeff Saturday. Gus has been FIRED at multiple stops running this passive defense of his that's simply NOT good enough in today's PASSING nfl. Gus gets WAY too much credit for the Legion of Boom defense in Seattle. Yes he was there initially but they DIDN'T take off until Dan Quinn took over as dc and besides that Ballard has NOT amassed nowhere near that type of talent to run that once in a generation type defense.

Stroud had TWO of his top receivers out yesterday and the ONLY one who could hurt you was Nico Collins. Most analysts said the Colts should double him and FORCE others to beat you. Guess what Collins had NEARLY 200 YDS RECEIVING by himself INCLUDING a 75 yd td bomb against single coverage by Ju Ju on their very FIRST play. Wow! Gus is the SAME dc from a season ago that gave up some EPIC comebacks as teams scored at record paces and that was with Gilmore and Rodgers at corner with Moore in the slot.

Yes they established a Colt sack record this season but finished near the bottom of the league in pressure rate which means we feasted on some very inept offenses with bad qb play or backups. Most of those sacks were not IMPACTFUL either because they'll give up those yds right back plus some on the VERY NEXT play. Seen enough of Gus already including LAST season.

Now on to Shane... It's AMAZING that some on here are WHINING about him and HOW the season ended INSTEAD of sitting back and appreciating the job he ACTUALLY did. To FLIP a 4 win team is hard enough UNLESS you've INSTANTLY infused it with some uber type talent and that DIDN'T happen! This is basically the SAME team that just added a couple of pieces but lost much more in the process.

Top two corners GONE! Your best player in JT OUT most of the season due to contract dispute! Your best run stuffer OUT six games due to suspension! Your uber talented rookie qb OUT for the season! You played most of the season with a LIMITED backup qb who can best be described as erratic at best and HIS backup is probably a guy (in Ehlinger) that shouldn't even be on a nfl roster. Your conerstone rt and center has been in and out all season YET here we were!!!! An almost 10 win team that got screwed by the refs in the Browns game who STILL had a chance LATE in a ballgame at home against a more talented team to go to the playoffs and came down to a beautifully designed play in which the UNLIKELY was WIDE OPEN on 4th down! Which by the way Shane has been doing ALL season long.

Ask Justin Herbert about Shane who won ROY under Steichen and arguably hasn’t been the same since. How has the Eagles offense and Hurts looked without Shane after appearing in a SB just a season ago?  Steichen has changed the culture of the team and will only get better after his ROOKIE season as hc. So maybe in the end it's SOME on this board who CAN'T recognize good coaching because we've been deprived for SO long!!! Shane was a COY candidate for a WELL deserved reason...

Wow!!! Lots of good points made. Well said!!!

The roster pluses were essentially Josh Downs and Matt Gay. Plenty more minuses than pluses that Shane dealt with, like you pointed out.

However, feel good stories win COY, like the Lions with Campbell, typically. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Wow!!! Lots of good points made. Well said!!!

The roster pluses were essentially Josh Downs and Matt Gay. Plenty more minuses than pluses that Shane dealt with, like you pointed out.

However, feel good stories win COY, like the Lions with Campbell, typically. 

DeMarco Ryans deserves the award.  Almost everyone picked Houston to have one of the worst records in the league.  

As far as play calling, I'm starting to agree with everyone here who knows better.  All plays should be called either for MPJ or JT.  No one else needs to be involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

DeMarco Ryans deserves the award.  Almost everyone picked Houston to have one of the worst records in the league.  

As far as play calling, I'm starting to agree with everyone here who knows better.  All plays should be called either for MPJ or JT.  No one else needs to be involved.

No one has said ALL plays should be called for MPJ or JT.  

35 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Shaking my head!!!!! This is a SOLID team that had HORRIBLE coaching last season and in general overall that led to a 4 win campaign. Gus and most of his defensive staff are the holdovers and I dare say should've been let go also LAST season along with Reich, his offensive staff and later on the no experience Jeff Saturday. Gus has been FIRED at multiple stops running this passive defense of his that's simply NOT good enough in today's PASSING nfl. Gus gets WAY too much credit for the Legion of Boom defense in Seattle. Yes he was there initially but they DIDN'T take off until Dan Quinn took over as dc and besides that Ballard has NOT amassed nowhere near that type of talent to run that once in a generation type defense.

Stroud had TWO of his top receivers out yesterday and the ONLY one who could hurt you was Nico Collins. Most analysts said the Colts should double him and FORCE others to beat you. Guess what Collins had NEARLY 200 YDS RECEIVING by himself INCLUDING a 75 yd td bomb against single coverage by Ju Ju on their very FIRST play. Wow! Gus is the SAME dc from a season ago that gave up some EPIC comebacks as teams scored at record paces and that was with Gilmore and Rodgers at corner with Moore in the slot.

Yes they established a Colt sack record this season but finished near the bottom of the league in pressure rate which means we feasted on some very inept offenses with bad qb play or backups. Most of those sacks were not IMPACTFUL either because they'll give up those yds right back plus some on the VERY NEXT play. Seen enough of Gus already including LAST season.

Now on to Shane... It's AMAZING that some on here are WHINING about him and HOW the season ended INSTEAD of sitting back and appreciating the job he ACTUALLY did. To FLIP a 4 win team is hard enough UNLESS you've INSTANTLY infused it with some uber type talent and that DIDN'T happen! This is basically the SAME team that just added a couple of pieces but lost much more in the process.

Top two corners GONE! Your best player in JT OUT most of the season due to contract dispute! Your best run stuffer OUT six games due to suspension! Your uber talented rookie qb OUT for the season! You played most of the season with a LIMITED backup qb who can best be described as erratic at best and HIS backup is probably a guy (in Ehlinger) that shouldn't even be on a nfl roster. Your conerstone rt and center has been in and out all season YET here we were!!!! An almost 10 win team that got screwed by the refs in the Browns game who STILL had a chance LATE in a ballgame at home against a more talented team to go to the playoffs and came down to a beautifully designed play in which the UNLIKELY was WIDE OPEN on 4th down! Which by the way Shane has been doing ALL season long.

Ask Justin Herbert about Shane who won ROY under Steichen and arguably hasn’t been the same since. How has the Eagles offense and Hurts looked without Shane after appearing in a SB just a season ago?  Steichen has changed the culture of the team and will only get better after his ROOKIE season as hc. So maybe in the end it's SOME on this board who CAN'T recognize good coaching because we've been deprived for SO long!!! Shane was a COY candidate for a WELL deserved reason...

That's the best summary of the season I've seen yet. Well said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

At least Texans won the division the last decade. Lions haven’t done so in the last 4 decades.

That significance might give it to Campbell.

The way our defense played against their only main WR threat in Collins was way more egregious than the offensive game plan. Even my GF who doesn’t watch sports said why is the same guy getting the ball over and over again. I hope they fire Bradley and let Shane find his D coordinator.

• Like 7

Houston or Browns coach. Shane is dunce of the year with that stupid decision of using scrub practice squad back. Ball was in his hand. Reminded me of when Colts blew it against Bills with Rivers near goal line.

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Houston or Browns coach. Shane is dunce of the year with that stupid play. Reminded me of when Colts blew it against Bills with Rivers near goal line.

We let them off the hook !!

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No one has said ALL plays should be called for MPJ or JT.  

Right.  Just the plays that didn't work.  They should have all been to MPJ or JT.  Got it.

38 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

The way our defense played against their only main WR threat in Collins was way more egregious than the offensive game plan. Even my GF who doesn’t watch sports said why is the same guy getting the ball over and over again. I hope they fire Bradley and let Shane find his D coordinator.

Hey, it goes back to Pagano days when Antonio Brown was all we had to stop and he killed us. Some things never change, I guess. I’m just glad we aren’t in the AFC North. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, indykmj said:

I doubt that Steichen gives a damn about the COTY award. 

Doesn’t matter. Dysfunctional playcalling I’m still just shaking my head that with a run being so solid we saw very little play action. I’m pretty sure Shane  was making those calls. Minshew looked horrible too many terrible throws. It was his fault on the 4th down he threw behind Goodson on a simple pitch and catch. Goodson was wide open on the first drive and that was a terrible throw. 1 touchdown is unacceptable at home and in a must win game. He is not a starting QB because he has deficiencies

59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again no one said that either, stop sensationalizing something because you don’t agree with it.

I'm not sensationalizing it.  I'm sarcastically rebutting it. :funny:

I do have one more suggestion though - the Serenity Prayer can be very helpful.

18 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Doesn’t matter. Dysfunctional playcalling I’m still just shaking my head that with a run being so solid we saw very little play action. I’m pretty sure Shane  was making those calls. Minshew looked horrible too many terrible throws. It was his fault on the 4th down he threw behind Goodson on a simple pitch and catch. Goodson was wide open on the first drive and that was a terrible throw. 1 touchdown is unacceptable at home and in a must win game. He is not a starting QB because he has deficiencies

I feel you answered your own question in this post, perhaps we were leaning on the run and simplified pass plays because Minshew's timing was off and was having a bad day. Therefore long developing play-action passes that require timing and anticipation were not used.

• Like 1

The coach calls  the play! The play was wide open not open wide open. The ball was poorly  threw plain and simple. If they ran it up the middle with Jt and it was stuffed the same people would've cried should've done Play action they new we would run it blah blah blah. The play call was good our back up qb isn't good with pressure or blitz for that matter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, indykmj said:

I doubt that Steichen gives a damn about the COTY award. 

I would agree, but IMO he did a better coaching job than the other candidates based on the personnel each guy had at their disposal, mainly at quarterback. Besides  Shane, the only other coach that I could see winning as much with Minshew starting 13 games for them would be Kevin Stefanski of the Browns, who made the playoffs using 4 different starting QBs and he should be named COTY based on that alone.

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I would agree, but IMO he did a better coaching job than the other candidates based on the personnel each guy had at their disposal, mainly at quarterback. Besides  Shane, the only other coach that I could see winning as much with Minshew starting 13 games for them would be Kevin Stefanski of the Browns, who made the playoffs using 4 different starting QBs and he should be named COTY based on that alone.

Stefanski is the odds on favorite.