Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My final word for all the - you give the ball to your playmakers…

Why not do that every play then?  Maybe it’s because the D is keying on them?

Look, bottom line is it was a good call, Minshew (or any kid from high school) can make that pass if they don’t rush it.

And let’s not forget, he wasn’t going to score on that play.  

You consider it a good call.  I don’t because he used the wrong personnel which immediately reduced the probability of success drastically.  Your playmakers have a better chance of catching tough throws than a fringe player who will not be on the team next year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was going to say that’s 13 more than the guy you choose to put the season in the hands of.

Sure, but JT also has about 250-300 snaps on Goodson this season and Goodson has actually practiced it during the week.

JT isn't CMC and the way Minshew threw that would've required a good pass catcher to get it in in the first place. Then add their defense was keyed in on JT and there's no guarantee he would've been as open as Goodson anyway if he had been the target of that play...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My final word for all the - you give the ball to your playmakers…

Why not do that every play then?  Maybe it’s because the D is keying on them?

Look, bottom line is it was a good call, Minshew (or any kid from high school) can make that pass if they don’t rush it.

And let’s not forget, he wasn’t going to score on that play.  

It’s not the last play of the game every play lol.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Sure, but JT also has about 250-300 snaps on Goodson this season and Goodson has actually practiced it during the week.

JT isn't CMC and the way Minshew threw that would've required a good pass catcher to get it in in the first place. Then add their defense was keyed in on JT and there's no guarantee he would've been as open as Goodson anyway if he had been the target of that play...

There is more then one play in the playbook.

Just now, coming on strong said:

i would go get jacoby brisett back i think he is slightly better than minshew .   18 touchdowns  6 picks in 15 games vs 15 touchdowns 9 picks with minshew in 15 games .   bigger arm too

JB can be an expensive backup but the rest I can agree on. You get what you pay for with backup QBs typically

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not saying JT is CMC but he is more experienced at catching passes than Goodson.  Also at the risk of being emotional and pounding the same sand, I’ve said and stand by there is no guarantee the play would have worked any better with Taylor, it might have failed just as badly or worse but I would preferred to see it tried with him over Goodson.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, other do.  I just got here, and commented because others were spinning that JT should have gotten the ball.  The reality is that Steichen didn't even call JTs number when it mattered, because of the high stuff likelihood.  If I'm bashing JT for pointing out why, I guess the HC is really bashing JT for actually making that decision.

My realistic and fair comments just seem like bashing to those who live in the spin zone of thinking JT matters when it matters...or that a generational G or an elite WILL mattered for the past 7 years.

No you just suffer from a severe case of confirmation bias. You start with a conclusion and work backwards from there.

The guy was dominant in the game. It was a great performance, and you talk like it was all luck and he couldnt have possibly picked up 1 yard. Because you are too busy trying to support your previous narratives.

And you think thats a reasonable opinion based on evidence? 

Okayyyyyy

I have been a supporter of Steichen all year. But here I offer some criticism. Why? Because Im actually using logic. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, not as painful as a playoff loss for sure. People just need to take a chill pill and not keep pounding the same sand for 6-7 pages.

Yes, we get it, some don’t like the 4th and 1 play call personnel used but I would prefer if they learned to agree to disagree by Page 2 than take till Page 7 or 8 and then turn around and tell others it isn’t emotional or personal when actions speak louder than redundant words. :) 

Not truly meant for you, btw but I have no wish to engage with the target of the post for several pages more 😄

People are gonna be pounding the same sand and beating the deceased horse on that sand for about 6 to 7 months. Posters are going to write something today that they will repeat (in a different form of words) at least 1 time a week until opening day. 

The thread for Taylor was over 100 pages long and each page might of had 2 posts that were of original content. The rest were people repeating each other, having it sound like original thought each time. Me included.

One of us. One of us...

• Like 2

Just now, KB said:

People are gonna be pounding the same sand and beating the deceased horse on that sand for about 6 to 7 months. Posters are going to write something today that they will repeat (in a different form of words) at least 1 time a week until opening day. 

The thread for Taylor was over 100 pages long and each page might of had 2 posts that were of original content. The rest were people repeating each other, having it sound like original thought each time. Me included.

One of us. One of us...

Exactly it’s what happens on message boards.

12 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

No you just look for confirmation bias. You start with a conclusion and work backwards from there.

The guy was dominant in the game. It was a great performance, and you talk like it was all luck and he couldnt have possibly picked up 1 yard. Because you are too busy trying to support your previous narratives.

And you think thats a reasonable opinion based on evidence? 

Okayyyyyy

I have been a supporter of Steichen all year. But here I offer some criticism. Why? Because Im actually using logic. 

Why do you have to bother me when it was Steichen who didn't call JTs number?   I'm just pointing out why he didn't.

JT ran through holes, because the defense was scattered wide most of the game to take away the short sideways passes that we throw.  When they decided to stop the run, they stuffed the middle because that's where JT runs.  He had a great game, but that's only because he was the alternative to us not having a passing game, which Aikman pointed out and which is NOT the way to have playoff success in the 2020's.

Go make your beef with Steichen and Aikman.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You consider it a good call.  I don’t because he used the wrong personnel which immediately reduced the probability of success drastically.  Your playmakers have a better chance of catching tough throws than a fringe player who will not be on the team next year.

Same thing happened on that deep shop to cox. Why you throwing that to cox. That isn’t his strength.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cjwhiskers said:

4th and 1 and you put your 4th string RB out there after a drive that you barely let your QB throw once? 

Will strongly disagree that being a good call considering the circumstance and the substitution. 

If they completed the pass...he's a genius 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Same thing happened on that deep shop to cox. Why you throwing that to cox. That isn’t his strength.

Consider these guys are open because the defense don't expect these kinda plays going to them.....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

JB can be an expensive backup but the rest I can agree on. You get what you pay for with backup QBs typically

i think he is making 8 million minshew 3.5  .  after this season its gonna be double to resign minshew so i dont think its a huge difference money wise . 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm talking about the 9-8 record this season. I guarantee you Ballard will mention that he's proud of that in his presser, despite missing the playoffs, and I guarantee you the media will kiss his behind and not ask any hardball questions. There will be a celebration like this season is a success despite the chokejob. Celebrating mediocrity.

Before I respond….    I have a question.   

Who are you?    I’ve never seen your handle, yet your profile says you’re a member here since 2014, and that you’ve made nearly 14,000 posts with 11 days won.   I should know who you are.   Yet I don’t.    So who did you used to be? 

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We’ve seen Cox make those catches in that area of the field and it’s normally for six.  Either way that was on Minshew and not Cox unless Cox secretly has go go gadget arms we don’t know about.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

cox has brick hands i would upgrade him he is a good blocker but cant catch .   give AR a real threat tightend and the offense will look good .   jack doyle was a huge loss colts havent recovered since.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

cox has brick hands i would upgrade him he is a good blocker but cant catch .   give AR a real threat tightend and the offense will look good .   jack doyle was a huge loss colts havent recovered since.

The play she’s talking about Minshew over threw Cox by a yard.

• Like 2

Here are my 2 cents worth, been a Colts fan since 1966 and had many ups and downs. Will always love the Colts win or lose!

Needs: WR's, when Alec Pierce is your #2 your team is in big trouble

A top tier TE, we have it seems a dozen mediocre TE's

Depth in the secondary, this is a must for every NFL team and we never have it!

QB, I know we have AR and maybe he's the answer but the most athletic doesn't always translate into best player

Wants:  Quit running the ball 2-3 times up the middle near the goal line every time!

Never play the old "prevent defense", it rarely works and actually prevents you from winning, I see it too much

Get more consistent and put mediocre teams (like the Falcons in 2023) away late in the season

Protect our House, make LOS a place opponents dread to visit

With the right players and coaches depth and consistency are things that will get us to the show.

Lastly:  You have to admit if we made it to the playoffs this year it would be the worst Colts team to ever make the playoffs, it    

just shows you how much parity there is in the NFL. Think about it, we won 9 games with a backup QB, new coach 

terrible WR (outside Pittman) TE and secondary play. Looking forward to 2024 and maybe this year will be the year!!!

11 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

He was open and had Pitt out in front.  If he had caught it it was a clear 1st down.  It was the right call.

You can question the personnel but not the play call.  It was excellent.

pass was thrown behind him in the first place if thrown in front it was a catch and maybe even a TD with a blocker in front of him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If they completed the pass...he's a genius 

the play and drop wasn't on coach, QB threw the ball behind and left of the receiver, other wise it was a catch and maybe TD there was a blocker out front

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conklincolt said:

pass was thrown behind him in the first place if thrown in front it was a catch and maybe even a TD with a blocker in front of him. 

If he had thrown it leading him he would’ve gotten smoked by the LB. Warner pointed this out in his analysis.

It hit the receiver in both hands, was beyond the FD marker. 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have never seen cox run a go route deep. 

He usually has one game a year where he dominates in the passing game. There was a Vikings game a few years ago where he was catching bombs all day. I wanna say three TDs that day and another long pass in there.

I would like for him to not be our #1 TE. I'd be ok if he was our #2 or 3, but he isn't starter material. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Before I respond….    I have a question.   

Who are you?    I’ve never seen your handle, yet your profile says you’re a member here since 2014, and that you’ve made nearly 14,000 posts with 11 days won.   I should know who you are.   Yet I don’t.    So who did you used to be? 

Thanks. 

I'm Jared Cisneros. Just decided to change my name to my playstation user name. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One good thing is we don’t have to root for the Titans today. lol

I will. I’d rather Houston win by sliding backwards into it than hear about Jax and sunshine being so great. I’m petty like that I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm Jared Cisneros. Just decided to change my name to my playstation user name. 

Thanks.   Right after I responded, I figured it out.   I saw repeat posts.   Some as Jared, some as your new handle.   That confused me a bit.    So this will be your new handle moving forward?   Ok, thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nope I want Houston to go play bills or chiefs. I don’t want them winning the division.

Don’t be surprised if the Texans win a playoff game on the road though. Outside the Ravens, all other top AFC teams like Dolphins and Chiefs are vulnerable. Bills and Ravens will be the hardest to defeat on the road. The rest are all shaky, IMO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Don’t be surprised if the Texans win a playoff game on the road though. Outside the Ravens, all other top AFC teams like Dolphins and Chiefs are vulnerable. Bills and Ravens will be the hardest to defeat on the road. The rest are all shaky

I think they will get beat first game if they are on the road. Playing Browns at home is another story.

Just now, stitches said:

Holder is horrible. 

He is 100% correct 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One good thing is we don’t have to root for the Titans today. lol

I'll be pulling for the Titans.

Would rather the Jaguars continue their late season collapse and Titans get a worse pick.

Texans can take the division, I'm ok with it.

On to post game comments:

Still can't get over how beyond bad, it was to call the timeout on 4th down. Literally running any play, even unsuccessfully, would have been the better decision. Would still have all 3 timeouts left if you didn't get it. To try and draw them offsides and use that was beyond ridiculous.

Hate that Goodson was even in there, saying that, the play was there. Would of much rather of given it to JT or Moss up the middle, as probably everyone else, but the look was there. Might of been a TD if it was executed. There is fault on both sides, horrible throw, and even so, still got to pull it in.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, I'm kinda just now getting back to roaming around the forum.

Want to thank Gardner for his efforts this season, wish you nothing but the best in the future, just hoping it isn't here. 

Gus, I'm torn, I think the defense did a lot of good things this year, but they did a lot of bad as well. A lot can be contributed to the youth in the secondary. Not mad about the youth playing, just something that should've and was the play. Even more so once Richardson went down for season. All the reps will benefit them in the future. On that note it's kinda hard to hold that against Gus.

What I hold against Gus is his stubbornness, in play calling and personnel decisions.

I am also very worried if Gus stays, we will overlay Franklin of not next year, the following season when his deal is up. 

I think at the end of the day, I would like for Shane to pick his defensive guy, he has done a great job with his other hires. Not too many complaints.

Final note:

Was a great, fun season, wish it ended a little different but it is what it is. The offseason is probably my favorite time of the year. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   Right after I responded, I figured it out.   I saw repeat posts.   Some as Jared, some as your new handle.   That confused me a bit.    So this will be your new handle moving forward?   Ok, thanks for clarifying. 

Yes. Will be using this handle going forward. :thmup:

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think they will get beat first game if they are on the road. Playing Browns at home is another story.

He is 100% correct 

He's not! I would take that call for Minshew and Goodson over Taylor smashing into a wall on a telegraphed play 10 out of 10 times. We watched that one again and again and again and again last few years. It was ugly then and it would have been even more ugly now. Give Steichen better talent. DO NOT stifle his creativity. The stars of this team had PLENTY of opportunity to show themselves and to make a difference. And they did! Precisely because of Steichen's playcalling and not being predictable as F---k ... 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you don’t remember how much Reich got roasted for good plays wrong players I don’t know what to tell you.

I roasted Reich for horrible predictable playcalling! Precisely what Holder and the people unhappy with Steichen seem to have wanted him to do... smash into a wall with Taylor down the middle despite EVERY FREAKING BODY expecting this. Steichen did what a good coach does - he designed them a play that every QB-RB pairing should be able to execute. Hell, even high school QB-RBs should be able to execute this one. Minshew and Goodson didn't. 

• Like 3