Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade for the Bears #1 Pick?

Let's talk about the Bears 1st, and 10th picks in this year's Draft. The Bears could trade the 1st pick, for and different positions, because they have Justin Fields, Sitting in those Top spots is Bo Nix, And Michael Penix Jr Marvin Jr. Should the Colts try an trade up with the Bears to take another Q-back, to back up Richardson if the. Colts let Gardner go, or Sammy,  Cant have enough Qbacks, this year proved that, What do you think.

Last year's Panthers trade showed how much one has to give up to move up to #1 overall draft pick, and it's probably not worth it.

Even if you get a HOF QB, you'd end up with depleted roster that ruins the QB's development years and you're left to start building up the roster all over again.

And, if the drafted QB isn't worth it, that sets the franchise back several years. It doesn't serve to help AR as well. However, Indy could Target some blue chip player, and move up if needed in case of someone dropping during the draft like Jalen Carter or Christian Gonzalez last year. 

• Like 1

Like 1st overall?  No way.  You only trade that much capital to go get a QB because a true franchise QB is the only way it can work out for you and the Colts just took Richardson.  They aren’t going to give up on him after one year when he showed so much promise.  

Now the Bears second first round pick maybe if there is a guy Ballard really likes but still history suggests Ballard moving up in the draft is rare.

• Like 1

I can't see Chicago sticking with Fields when Williams is right in front of them. 3 years in and there's nothing that tells me Fields is going to be a franchise QB. They have it made right now. It's all lined up for them. They can take the #1 QB and either a Tackle or WR at 9.

No way Ballard trades up to number one(who would he be going after?) We did it right last year, as painful as it was, hiring Saturday to purposely lose so we got to number 4. It would make no sense to go from 15 to 1 this year by trading away a ridiculous amount of draft capital to do so.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, Blitzen said:

Let's talk about the Bears 1st, and 10th picks in this year's Draft. The Bears could trade the 1st pick, for and different positions, because they have Justin Fields, Sitting in those Top spots is Bo Nix, And Michael Penix Jr Marvin Jr. Should the Colts try an trade up with the Bears to take another Q-back, to back up Richardson if the. Colts let Gardner go, or Sammy,  Cant have enough Qbacks, this year proved that, What do you think.

There are several major problems with your scenario.  

1.   Ballard wouldn’t even trade up at all last year to take the QB he wanted.   So he’s not going to trade up from 15 to 10, and certainly not 15 to 1.   And then you want to draft ANOTHER quarterback?!?   

2.   Off the top of my head, the last time a team drafted QBs back to back years was the Dallas Cowboys.  Aikman then Steve Walsh.  But Walsh was only drafted to be a short-term backup before they traded him for more than the first round pick the Cowboys spent to draft him. 

So trading up only to draft another quarterback and then he’d only be a backup is simply not happening.   Ever. 

Sorry. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

2.   Off the top of my head, the last time a team drafted QBs back to back years was the Dallas Cowboys.  Aikman then Steve Walsh.  But Walsh was only drafted to be a short-term backup before they traded him for more than

Cardinals with Kyler Murray and Josh Rosen are the last time I do believe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yeah, they had a trade in place with the Dolphins for Rosen, I think??, for a 2nd round pick while picking Kyler Murray at No.1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:51 AM, Solid84 said:

I can't see Chicago sticking with Fields when Williams is right in front of them. 3 years in and there's nothing that tells me Fields is going to be a franchise QB. They have it made right now. It's all lined up for them. They can take the #1 QB and either a Tackle or WR at 9.

This was a very good article written by their blog writer:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/10/24033181/hot-take-wednesday-chicago-bears-matt-eberflus-ryan-poles-kevin-warren-miss-golden-opportunity

Some key words:

George McCaskey, Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles had an opportunity to do something bold and tell Matt Eberflus that he did a good job but that it wasn’t good enough.

They had an opportunity to draft an excellent QB prospect, and line him up with an offensive-minded head coach and let the two of them grow together.

Instead, they will most likely bring in a rookie QB in Matt Eberflus’ 3rd season that could be considered a win now season, or he could lose his job. That’s how it was for Matt Nagy with rookie Justin Fields. That’s how it was for John Fox with rookie Mitch Trubisky.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Then he says:

Is it continuity if you keep Justin Fields and force him to learn his third offense in 4 years?

THIS, is why I loved the fact we hired Steichen. No more Russian Roulette on the offensive side for the most key position on an NFL roster. That is why C J Stroud will eventually have to deal with issues when Bobby Slowik is hired elsewhere and AR will benefit if Steichen sticks around and continues to do a good job as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/10/24033181/hot-take-wednesday-chicago-bears-matt-eberflus-ryan-poles-kevin-warren-miss-golden-opportunity

Some key words:

George McCaskey, Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles had an opportunity to do something bold and tell Matt Eberflus that he did a good job but that it wasn’t good enough.

They had an opportunity to draft an excellent QB prospect, and line him up with an offensive-minded head coach and let the two of them grow together.

Instead, they will most likely bring in a rookie QB in Matt Eberflus’ 3rd season that could be considered a win now season, or he could lose his job. That’s how it was for Matt Nagy with rookie Justin Fields. That’s how it was for John Fox with rookie Mitch Trubisky.

Then he says:

Is it continuity if you keep Justin Fields and force him to learn his third offense in 4 years?

THIS, is why I loved the fact we hired Steichen. No more Russian Roulette on the offensive side for the most key position on an NFL roster. That is why C J Stroud will eventually have to deal with issues when Bobby Slowik is hired elsewhere and AR will benefit if Steichen sticks around and continues to do a good job as well.

When there was conversation here last year about possibly trading for Fields instead of drafting a qb, I said Chicago is a qb graveyard and you can't hold that against Fields...and wow does this post really illustrate the complete and total disaster of their handling of the qb situation. 

2 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yeah….   My very poor wording….   I knew that, but left out the words “with the intention of keeping both.”   Good catch.  

My bad.  

58 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Lol, no.

The most far-fetched thing I could imagine happening is Irsay overriding Ballard and trading a % ton of capital in order to get MHJ.

I could see this happening not for the 1st overall pick with the Bears,but if MHJ is sitting there at 3 or 4 and we had to give our 15th pick,2nd round pick and next years 1st ,I’m doing that all day and I hope Mr Irsay says the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I could see this happening not for the 1st overall pick with the Bears,but if MHJ is sitting there at 3 or 4 and we had to give our 15th pick,2nd round pick and next years 1st ,I’m doing that all day and I hope Mr Irsay says the same thing.

I would do that in a heartbeat as well.

But it's gonna cost way more than that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

Some key words:

Then he says:

There's truth to this, but the Bears have a history of making terrible decisions regarding their offense.

It's true Fields hasn't had any continuity and I may be too hard on him. The question is - have they already ruined Fields though? Is it better to cut bait and start over - new OC and staff plus new rookie QB? (this also means a contract reset before a possible big payday)

On 1/12/2024 at 10:47 AM, Solid84 said:

There's truth to this, but the Bears have a history of making terrible decisions regarding their offense.

It's true Fields hasn't had any continuity and I may be too hard on him. The question is - have they already ruined Fields though? Is it better to cut bait and start over - new OC and staff plus new rookie QB? (this also means a contract reset before a possible big payday)

I'm thinking Fields gets traded to the Falcons, which is a very smart move by both teams. Instantly makes the Falcons Bonafide contenders in the south. 

32 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm thinking Fields gets traded to the Falcons, which is a very smart move by both teams. Instantly makes the Falcons Bonafide contenders in the south. 

I heard the Steelers could be interested as well.

There're lots of options for him and unlike a lot of other unsuccessful young QBs I don't feel Fields is a bust... yet. He's just been in a really bad situation in Chicago and a change of scenery with a team willing to build around him could do wonders.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:10 PM, Blitzen said:

Yes….if the deal is good enough and we get an impact player. That being said I don’t see Ballard doing that.