Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Deja Vu - Colts under Steichen vs Colts under Reich

AustexColt

We are heading to the last two games, starting with the Raiders who Gus Bradley has lost every time, including the Saints with Derek Carr.  If we lose this game he is gone and his selected staff.  The last game against the Texans carries the same weight as our final 2020 game with Jacksonville where we were eliminated from the playoffs. Ballard, Gus Bradley and a number of Colts high playing players are on the "hot seat". If we lose to the Texans in Indy, accountability will be felt throughout the team.

I don't see us losing but its the sense of urgency on part of the players/coaches. We did not expect to be in this position (at the start of the year) but the fact is we are in position to make the playoff or possibly win the division.

• Like 2

With Reich, we had to win two games we were favored to win and crumbled when it counted the most.  Losing to the Jags was an all around failure for that game AND the season.

This year, we are clearly over-achieving.  No one thought this team would be here.  Majority of us (including myself), the media…no one.  If we make the playoffs that would be amazing, but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world.  This year was suppose to be an evaluating and developing year.  We are definitely ahead of schedule.  

When we lost with Reich, it was time to clean house.  This year, we lose Steichen, it’s the opposite, it’s time to continue building the house.  The only thing that is similar is that we need to win out to get in the playoffs.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

We are heading to the last two games, starting with the Raiders who Gus Bradley has lost every time, including the Saints with Derek Carr.  If we lose this game he is gone and his selected staff.  The last game against the Texans carries the same weight as our final 2020 game with Jacksonville where we were eliminated from the playoffs. Ballard, Gus Bradley and a number of Colts high playing players are on the "hot seat". If we lose to the Texans in Indy, accountability will be felt throughout the team.

I don't see us losing but its the sense of urgency on part of the players/coaches. We did not expect to be in this position (at the start of the year) but the fact is we are in position to make the playoff or possibly win the division.

Ballard is not anywhere close to the hot seat. Nor should he be. 

Bradley, I hope he’s gone by Feb

• Like 7

• w87r changed the title to 2021 Deja Vu - Colts under Steichen vs Colts under Reich
35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I am pro fire Bradley but I don’t think that’s the direction the Colts are going.  They seem to legit like him and think he’s doing a good job.  

As for Ballard I go back to what even Irsay said this pre-season when he said he wanted to see progress this year.   Well they have gone from a four win team to knocking on the door for the playoffs and maybe a division title.  Even if the Colts lose the next two games there is no denying there has been progress and that’s with your top draft pick and new franchise QB being out most of the year.  I’d be blown away if Ballard lost his job.  If Irsay was going to fire Ballard it was going to be last year.  When he didn’t he pretty much reset the clock on Ballard and I think will look at this season as a vast improvement over last year which is what he said he wanted to see.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am pro fire Bradley but I don’t think that’s the direction the Colts are going.  They seem to legit like him and think he’s doing a good job.  

As for Ballard I go back to what even Irsay said this pre-season when he said he wanted to see progress this year.   Well they have gone from a four win team to knocking on the door for the playoffs and maybe a division title.  Even if the Colts lose the next two games there is no denying there has been progress and that’s with your top draft pick and new franchise QB being out most of the year.  I’d be blown away if Ballard lost his job.  If Irsay was going to fire Ballard it was going to be last year.  When he didn’t he pretty much reset the clock on Ballard and I think will look at this season as a vast improvement over last year which is what he said he wanted to see.

I don’t think we know what Steichen is thinking on Bradley. This will be his call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think we know what Steichen is thinking on Bradley. This will be his call.

I think we do it’s just not what fans want to hear.  Multiple times Shane has been asked about Bradley this he and multiple times he’s said something along the lines of this quote:

“I got a ton of faith in Gus,” Steichen said. “Obviously kept Gus here because I believe in what he does.”

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-shane-steichen-backs-gus-bradley-poor-outing-saints

that doesn’t mean he’s not getting fired for a fact but it does mean Shane keeps defending him and making it a point he believes in what he does.  Also, anytime you watch a game the announcers talk about how when they meet with the coaches they always talk about how much Shane likes Gus and what a good job he thinks he’s doing.

Again, I am not impressed by Gus but I get the impression the Colts like him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think we do it’s just not what fans want to hear.  Multiple times Shane has been asked about Bradley this he and multiple times he’s said something along the lines of this quote:

“I got a ton of faith in Gus,” Steichen said. “Obviously kept Gus here because I believe in what he does.”

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-shane-steichen-backs-gus-bradley-poor-outing-saints

that doesn’t mean he’s not getting fired for a fact but it does mean Shane keeps defending him and making it a point he believes in what he does.  Also, anytime you watch a game the announcers talk about how when they meet with the coaches they always talk about how much Shane likes Gus and what a good job he thinks he’s doing.

Again, I am not impressed by Gus but I get the impression the Colts like him.

What do you expect him to say. He sucks  he should be gone. Means nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What do you expect him to say. He sucks  he should be gone. Means nothing.

I don’t expect him to go out of his way to defend him and make a point that he believes in what he does over and over again and make a point to the announcers week in and out how much he likes him and thinks he’s doing a good job.  You don’t do those things if you don’t truly like someone and believe in them.  Again, it doesn’t mean he’s 100% safe but I don’t think it means nothing either.  It’s just not what you or fans who don’t like Gus want to hear so it’s easy to dismiss.  What Shane is saying hey I like Gus and think he’s doing a good job.  That’s why I say I get the impression the Colts like him, again if it were up to me I would make a change but it’s not.

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Agreed. This team clearly has good talent. I think when you can dominate one team and then lose to a bottom 10 team the next week that’s a preparation or motivation issue with certain players which needs to be addressed if they are to ever win on a consistent basis. 

5 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Well I have a bit of a problem with the post game remarks by Minshew yesterday.  What kind of discipline and culture are we talking about when the players are openly admitting they overlooked Atlanta?  That’s on Steichen and it’s extremely disappointing to hear that.  

Yeah

"I don't know if we approached it with the right urgency.."

What in the hell? Seriously. There's something off with the leadership on this team. It's on Steichen, but it's also on the players - a lot of whom where on the team in 2021 when they crapped the bed the last two games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah

What in the hell? Seriously. There's something off with the leadership on this team. It's on Steichen, but it's also on the players - a lot of whom where on the team in 2021 when they crapped the bed the last two games.

Culture isn’t something you turn around right away. This team is very inexperienced in big games like this. The experience of being in the playoff chase this year should help them in the future.  We also just need flat out more dawgs and playmakers. We will get there.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Culture isn’t something you turn around right away. This team is very inexperienced in big games like this. The experience of being in the playoff chase this year should help them in the future.  We also just need flat out more dawgs and playmakers. We will get there.

It's not necessarily about culture. This is about team captains knowing better.

Buckner should've known better.

Nelson should've known better.

Franklin should've known better. 

Moore should've known better.

Kelly should've known better.

These guys were ALL on the team in 2021 and they absolutely need to step up in these situations.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

It's not necessarily about culture. This is about team captains knowing better.

Buckner should've known better.

Nelson should've known better.

Franklin should've known better. 

Moore should've known better.

Kelly should've known better.

These guys were ALL on the team in 2021 and they absolutely need to step up in these situations.

Team leaders can preach and preach doesn’t mean the young players understand it until they are in those situations.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

How do u evaluate progress of this team based on wins? This schedule was a joke.

Across the league the players are worn out..... I know they are banged up and in alot of ways the NFL has overstretched the players and coaches with :  International games, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Thursday games. It is over done in my opinion. Now they want them to play in Brazil. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Across the league the players are worn out..... I know they are banged up and in alot of ways the NFL has overstretched the players and coaches with :  International games, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Thursday games. It is over done in my opinion. Now they want them to play in Brazil. 

no end in sight I’m afraid. Need to get back to mostly Sunday games and Monday night football at most. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, Solid84 said:

Yeah

Just because Minshew said this doesn't make it mean anything.