Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard deserves Kudos and Credit

AustexColt

During this season, we have had the practice squad come through for some of the key injuries: Zach Moss, Trevor Semion, Goody, DJ Montgomery and whoever is going to take McKenzie and Tony Browns place. Ballard has taken full advantage of his draft order and combing through the wires.  He and his team has done a great job this year. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

During this season, we have had the practice squad come through for some of the key injuries: Zach Moss, Trevor Semion, Goody, DJ Montgomery and whoever is going to take McKenzie and Tony Browns place. Ballard has taken full advantage of his draft order and combing through the wires.  He and his team has done a great job this year. 

I think, you mean, Trey Sermon..

Trevor Siemian is Jets QB 

Yes, to your point. At the time of the post, Jarvis Landry is working out for Colts. He'll be very good when healthy.

So, yes Ballard has been showing progress in his tenure. A year with franchise QB healthy will tell the full story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Sure we do. 

He's the Greatest!!! 

One day, his overall record may get to .500 :funny:

As I've said before, Ballard is great in the draft, but there's a lot to be desired in FA and trades. It took 7 years to get this team to where it is. If Richardson hits next year, then we are finally where we want to be. There's a small chance this year we can make a playoff run, and a good chance next year if Richardson stays healthy. Can we continue to get better and make a SB run while Ballard is the GM? That's how I'm going to judge him. I want at least one shot at a SB. One SB appearance. If he can do that, I'll give him his due. This is really the first year since 2018 that I think the team is in good shape again. Hopefully, Steichen turns out to be better than Reich as well and Richardson can be the franchise QB we all want.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard isn’t nearly as bad as some want him to be.  He’s not the greatest GM in the history of football or anything but the Colts could do a lot worse than him.

I will say I always feel comfortable with Ballard at the helm come draft time and look forward to it every year. He's probably better than at least 25 GMs in the draft.

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As I've said before, Ballard is great in the draft, but there's a lot to be desired in FA and trades. It took 7 years to get this team to where it is. If Richardson hits next year, then we are finally where we want to be. There's a small chance this year we can make a playoff run, and a good chance next year if Richardson stays healthy. Can we continue to get better and make a SB run while Ballard is the GM? That's how I'm going to judge him. I want at least one shot at a SB. One SB appearance. If he can do that, I'll give him his due. This is really the first year since 2018 that I think the team is in good shape again. Hopefully, Steichen turns out to be better than Reich as well and Richardson can be the franchise QB we all want.

FWIW:   

I think it’s being reported that the Colts chances at the playoffs are somewhere between 40-50 percent.   I read that in the last few days or so.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So let me make sure I am on the same page...... We like Ballard now?

Some of us always have…

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   

I think it’s being reported that the Colts chances at the playoffs are somewhere between 40-50 percent.   I read that in the last few days or so.   

65%

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Aren't they the same thing.

Not exactly.  Per Oxford--

1. ku·dos /ˈko͞oˌdōs/noun   praise and honor received for an achievement.

2. cred·it/ˈkredət/noun  1.the ability of a customer to obtain goods or services before payment, based on the trust that payment will be made in the future.   2.  an entry recording a sum received, listed on the right-hand side or column of an account.

verb  publicly acknowledge someone as a participant in the production of (something published or broadcast).

But, I get your meaning.

:hat:

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems we have good depth. Just need to add top end talent in a couple spots.

That's nice.  But its also something that could be said for the past 7 years...and probably more than 2 spots.  3 to 5, IMO. 

The results in any given season can be a little better or a little worse based upon schedule and injuries throughout the NFL. 

Hopefully things go our way.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I hope Ballard gets more involved in trades and FA this offseason. The teams needs him to string together some good offseasons in my opinion.

I think there's a good chance we make the playoffs this season, but I think it'll be harder next season because our schedule likely won't be a cakewalk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope Ballard gets more involved in trades and FA this offseason. The teams needs him to string together some good offseasons in my opinion.

I think there's a good chance we make the playoffs this season, but I think it'll be harder next season because our schedule likely won't be a cakewalk.

I think the colts play the afc east next year. A couple of those are at home I believe. So yeah it won’t be easy.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Ballard is great in the draft like you do but whole heartedly agree that there's more to a GM's job besides drafting. And he AND irsay make it harder on him because he forces himself to address certain positions in the draft because he ignored those weaknesses in FA and trades. if he has the green light from Irsay and obtains players needed then those positions wouldn't have to be addressed by rookies making rookie money. Those picks could go more for Best players available instead of filling a position need. Example,  he created a weakness at CB when traded away Gillmore for a 5th round pick to save $10 mil. So instead of having a experienced shut down corner, he drafted, I think, 3 CB's to replace Gilmore and the one suspended for gambling. In a passing league with Hot Shot QBs(AFC) and weapons for them, it was left for rookies to cover them! Forcing Gus to play softer than he usually does lol.

And my personal opinion I think drafting in the NFL is probably the easiest responsibility to do of the major sports GM's.....just a internet connection and YouTube is all you need. :funny:

But seriously, I do see some pretty good mocks here with members knowing their stuff. Of course its a bit more complex than that but you guys do a decent job in mock drafts.

Like you and others said next year will tell us a lot about the direction of this team depending on how good or elite AR5 becomes. But even if he's as good or great as we need and want him to be, will he be surrounded with a worthy supporting cast to contend for Super Bowls? 

Besides the Football Gods usually against us, I hope for Colt Fans that AR5 doesn't have to do it alone. I hope his talent is not wasted like Herbert's is. 

But next year is a way right now and the colts have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, even a Division title is out there..... and with Minshew!!! haha I wish it was with AR5 because I think he would give the colts a better chance of making big plays and the gap in talent between opposing playoff QBs and AR5 wouldn't be so much as it would be with our backup. 

But it is what it is and colt fans should make the best of it because nothing is guaranteed for the future so ENJOY!

• Like 4

I most likely in the minority but I don't see him having a weakness in FA and trades. He has actually made some pretty good acquisitions without spending top dollar. He signed Gay to the biggest kicker contract ever, but it's a kicker, so really still not a major part of the cap. He has brought in Ebukam as well who is exactly what we asked for in replacing Ngokuai (or whatever the spelling is). 

I see people talking about getting rid of Gilmore (who was a FA acquisition) for a 5th. It's been reported everywhere that Gilmore asked for the trade, and the Colts (Ballard and Bradly) were wanting to go super young anyways. The league has a new trend with gutting CB rooms and playing nothing but rookies. While not perfect it has shown promising results for the Seahawks and KC last year. We got hit by injuries and suspensions. Can't plan to much for that other than depth players. Which are depth players for a reason.

A majority of the complaints people have about our GM ignore context and other moves that were made. He isn't perfect, but I'm good with him. We could and have done alot worse.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think, you mean, Trey Sermon..

Trevor Siemian is Jets QB 

Yes, to your point. At the time of the post, Jarvis Landry is working out for Colts. He'll be very good when healthy.

So, yes Ballard has been showing progress in his tenure. A year with franchise QB healthy will tell the full story. 

Ballard was stuck with his old school ways and so was Frank. Sirianni was important for any Reich success for 2 years. Then it started going downhill.

Steichen and his staff are good for Ballard's evolvement.

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't think Ballard is great in the draft like you do but whole heartedly agree that there's more to a GM's job besides drafting. And he AND irsay make it harder on him because he forces himself to address certain positions in the draft because he ignored those weaknesses in FA and trades. if he has the green light from Irsay and obtains players needed then those positions wouldn't have to be addressed by rookies making rookie money. Those picks could go more for Best players available instead of filling a position need. Example,  he created a weakness at CB when traded away Gillmore for a 5th round pick to save $10 mil. So instead of having a experienced shut down corner, he drafted, I think, 3 CB's to replace Gilmore and the one suspended for gambling. In a passing league with Hot Shot QBs(AFC) and weapons for them, it was left for rookies to cover them! Forcing Gus to play softer than he usually does lol.

And my personal opinion I think drafting in the NFL is probably the easiest responsibility to do of the major sports GM's.....just a internet connection and YouTube is all you need. :funny:

But seriously, I do see some pretty good mocks here with members knowing their stuff. Of course its a bit more complex than that but you guys do a decent job in mock drafts.

Like you and others said next year will tell us a lot about the direction of this team depending on how good or elite AR5 becomes. But even if he's as good or great as we need and want him to be, will he be surrounded with a worthy supporting cast to contend for Super Bowls? 

Besides the Football Gods usually against us, I hope for Colt Fans that AR5 doesn't have to do it alone. I hope his talent is not wasted like Herbert's is. 

But next year is a way right now and the colts have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs, even a Division title is out there..... and with Minshew!!! haha I wish it was with AR5 because I think he would give the colts a better chance of making big plays and the gap in talent between opposing playoff QBs and AR5 wouldn't be so much as it would be with our backup. 

But it is what it is and colt fans should make the best of it because nothing is guaranteed for the future so ENJOY!

Yeah. I think people in FA next year will say again to give Ballard another chance to sign a big player or two. They'll say that we have our franchise QB in Richardson and the Matt Ryan contract is off the books, but we just paid Taylor, we'll have to pay Pittman and possibly Blackmon, and I just don't believe it anymore. Remember the expression "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". It's held true for Pagano, Reich and Ballard recently. It's also true for the majority of authority figures. I think we'll probably trade down in the draft in either the 1st or 2nd round to acquire a day 2 or mid round pick and fill in our team with draft picks and depth players again. 

I still think more than ever, especially with Matt Ryans contract off the books, we need to sign a big time FA. Just one. Get an elite EDGE or CB IMO to help the defense. That can be as valuable as a 1st round pick for a few years for the price of money. Richardson is under a rookie contract. There's no excuse at this point. The team is better yes, we need someone that allows us to compete with the class of the AFC on defense. Get our elite EDGE rusher or shutdown corner. Fill the rest of FA with depth, re-sign our own, and draft BPA to help this team. It's amazing what one elite FA can do to help this team. The draft picks will take time to get good most of the time. 

It's time to take risks. That's the problem with this team. No risk, no reward. We can't keep up with the AFC on the path we are on. We will literally be fighting for a wildcard most years. We can't count on winning the division either (it's never happened under Ballard anyway). Time to go all-in next year. 

• Like 2

I agree he has done a great job building depth but he has picked questionable players that did not pan out.  We let Gilmore leave and Brents was singed and ever though he has been mostly solid Gilmore was better at this time. The offensive line has been up and down and is not as good as what we are paying them. Injuries are not Ballards fault but I really think we need a new right guard and a center down the road. The WR room falls off fast after Pittman and Downs and we need a true #1 WR in the draft or free agency When healthy we are a solid team and that is on Ballard. But as everyone knows we are a few players away (Richardson) and new players from a deep run in the playoffs. I truly think we are playing with house money this season and its been fun to watch and see the effort put out. This draft will be very important I anxious to see what players Ballard and Co bring in and I hope its a top WR or CB

• Like 1

Ballard's best decision in the off-season was probably picking Steichen as his HC. And that's before we know how AR will pan out. If he does, this is a great way to change the fortunes of your team - finding two keepers at the most important positions on the team. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard's best decision in the off-season was probably picking Steichen as his HC. And that's before we know how AR will pan out. If he does, this is a great way to change the fortunes of your team - finding two keepers at the most important positions on the team. 

Looking back Minshew was such a good pick up too. Although that was more on Steichen. 8-4 this year in games he has started.

Thread seems kind of premature, Ballard is still under .500 over 6 and going on 7 seasons. The Colts have a last place schedule, in a league with more bad teams than good in 2024. The Colts will most likely make the playoffs, but if they are one and done, is this some kind of victory for Ballard as an elite/good GM? Honestly, I don't know. Personally, I think AR will define Ballard's remaining time with the Colts. Let's hope for the best. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah. I think people in FA next year will say again to give Ballard another chance to sign a big player or two. They'll say that we have our franchise QB in Richardson and the Matt Ryan contract is off the books, but we just paid Taylor, we'll have to pay Pittman and possibly Blackmon, and I just don't believe it anymore. Remember the expression "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". It's held true for Pagano, Reich and Ballard recently. It's also true for the majority of authority figures. I think we'll probably trade down in the draft in either the 1st or 2nd round to acquire a day 2 or mid round pick and fill in our team with draft picks and depth players again. 

I still think more than ever, especially with Matt Ryans contract off the books, we need to sign a big time FA. Just one. Get an elite EDGE or CB IMO to help the defense. That can be as valuable as a 1st round pick for a few years for the price of money. Richardson is under a rookie contract. There's no excuse at this point. The team is better yes, we need someone that allows us to compete with the class of the AFC on defense. Get our elite EDGE rusher or shutdown corner. Fill the rest of FA with depth, re-sign our own, and draft BPA to help this team. It's amazing what one elite FA can do to help this team. The draft picks will take time to get good most of the time. 

It's time to take risks. That's the problem with this team. No risk, no reward. We can't keep up with the AFC on the path we are on. We will literally be fighting for a wildcard most years. We can't count on winning the division either (it's never happened under Ballard anyway). Time to go all-in next year. 

What elite edge rushers have come available in FA?  Teams tend to lock those guys up and if not they are traded. I know there are good DEs that come available but hardly ever remember elite ones. I feel like Ballard has done well signing DL in FA. Got a lot of bang for his buck with signing guys that were backups and just need more playing time that it may not be worth over paying for a guy that is just a little bit better. Chase Young could be available but is he really producing at an elite level above Ebukam?  

Von Miller and Khalil Mack were available a couple seasons ago. Trying to remember who else recently. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

What elite edge rushers have come available in FA?  Teams tend to lock those guys up and if not they are traded. I know there are good DEs that come available but hardly ever remember elite ones. I feel like Ballard has done well signing DL in FA. Got a lot of bang for his buck with signing guys that were backups and just need more playing time that it may not be worth over paying for a guy that is just a little bit better. Chase Young could be available but is he really producing at an elite level above Ebukam?  

Von Miller and Khalil Mack were available a couple seasons ago. Trying to remember who else recently. 

Trey Hendrickson was one I really wanted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I agree that who the GM picks for a head coach and a QB are two of his most important decisions. I don't think Ballard should get a pass on not doing as well as he might have on these two decisions in previous seasons (IMHO) but I am hopeful that in Season 7, we're headed in the right direction. With the NFL's increased emphasis on passing, finding keepers at WR, CB, and DE has become another way to change the fortunes of your team. I'm expecting more at these positions before giving too much kudos and credit, and am hoping Steichen will have a positive impact on how the Colts assess these positions.  

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Chandler Jones was wanted by many on this board even though most of his sacks the prior season came in one game. Thankfully we dodged that bullet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KB said:

I most likely in the minority but I don't see him having a weakness in FA and trades. He has actually made some pretty good acquisitions without spending top dollar. He signed Gay to the biggest kicker contract ever, but it's a kicker, so really still not a major part of the cap. He has brought in Ebukam as well who is exactly what we asked for in replacing Ngokuai (or whatever the spelling is). 

I see people talking about getting rid of Gilmore (who was a FA acquisition) for a 5th. It's been reported everywhere that Gilmore asked for the trade, and the Colts (Ballard and Bradly) were wanting to go super young anyways. The league has a new trend with gutting CB rooms and playing nothing but rookies. While not perfect it has shown promising results for the Seahawks and KC last year. We got hit by injuries and suspensions. Can't plan to much for that other than depth players. Which are depth players for a reason.

A majority of the complaints people have about our GM ignore context and other moves that were made. He isn't perfect, but I'm good with him. We could and have done alot worse.

Yeah most of the people who complain about his lack of trades or free agents have unrealistic expectations for him.  They always come up with a shopping list of players they want and decide because they want them it means the Colts are interested in them and then when the Colts don’t sign them they get mad at Ballard.  

As you pointed out his track record when he does make a trade or a free agent signing is very good in terms of that player working out.  So I’d say he’s pretty good at it.  He’s just not as active as some want.

To me you need to know who your GM is and who he isn’t terms of expecting free agents or trades.  Ballard has made it clear from day one he wants to build through the draft using free agents and trades sparingly.  If you look around the league that’s what most good teams do.  It’s the same approach Polian used for years, with that said Ballard is very active in free agency and trades compared to Polian.  It’s has a good track record.  

Now compare that to a guy like Grigson who loved big trades (hello Trent Richardson) and always spent big in free agency and it didn’t work as well.  I’d rather have the more measured approach Ballard takes.  He’s not afraid to go get a guy if he really likes them but he’s not going to use that method to primarily build the roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1