Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Steelers post game

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Did you watch the game? There's your answer.

How many 3rd and longs did they give up today? The Colts do this every game and we've lost games on the back of our terrible prevent formation. Just because the Steelers offense is inept and couldn't score points it doesn't make our defense good.

I don’t think it’s hard to turn this around.   You’re so afraid to say the words Gus Bradley’s defense did a good job that you have to turn it into the Pittsburgh offense was inept. 

This is not a you problem.   Nit singling you out.  This has been an issue for this community since its beginning.  Once this community has decided a player, or coach or executive isn’t good then that becomes a very popular viewpoint.   The person gets reduced to a cartoon character.   Everything they do is bad, and if they do something good few want to publicly give credit.  

When I arrived in 2012,  it was Castanzo sucks.  And he’d only played one year.  And it took a few years before that went away.   Now it’s Bradley sucks and it goes with Frank sucks.   It was that way when Grigson fell out of favor in 15/16, and really got ugly when Pagano became unpopular in 2017.  

It’s disappointing to me, but it is what it is. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s talking specifically about the prevent not the whole defense.  The whole defense played well.  The prevent defense was not good and was bailed out more than once by a bad throw by a bad QB.  When they weren’t in prevent defense the defense played a great game.  Both can be true.

Thanks.   Appreciate the clarification.  And agreed.   

Big difference how colts responded in second half compared to last week/

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

On a sidenote, did anyone notice that Anthony Richardson was not wearing a sling anymore? Hope he heals quickly and is ready for training camp.!

There was a picture this week at practice and he had a football under his arm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

When is the last time Colts had 2 players with double digit sacks ?  Think very real chance with Ebukum sitting at 9.5 now followed by Dayo at 8 and Paye with 7.5 it happens this season.

Could be 3 players if things go right. I feel good about Dayo and Ebukam will get there. Our is more of a edge setter so not sure about him:

21 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Ebukam, another 49er steal.  Buck was the first.  Remember when we got buck, people didn’t think he was good enough for the 2nd we gave them.  Ebukam has been a very good signing.

happy for dayo also!  Hoping that he turns into an every down defensive end.  But that would mean less snaps for qwitty :(

I thought we gave up our first rounder for Buckner.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

+ we beat the hated Steelers. Biggest win of the season. We needed this one.

From a stand point I’d still the Pats.  From a football stand point they beat the Ravens, the current number one seed in the AFC, at their place.  However, yes beating the Steelers is always nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn’t our bad prevent defense just give up 7 points.   The other 7 came from a special teams error.   And the defense had 4 sacks and three turnovers. 

So how was our defense bad?   How were they enabling?   

Really? That bad prevent defense was TORCHED just last week by a competent offense with skill players across the board. That same Cincy team barely beat the Vikings today in OT. Let's just take the win and enjoy because in ALL actuality the Steelers are a bad offense that FIRED their oc a few weeks ago! Mitch T is now their qb and the Steelers were coming off consecutive losses against a pair of TWO win teams. I EXPECTED the defense to hold against the suspect Steelers but I also knew they could lay an egg too.

I understood the point @Solid84 was making but EVERYTIME you feel there's some underline dig at Ballard or Gus you pounce. This defense is serviceable with a couple of upper tier type players but make no mistake about it that very soft zone will get picked apart by most pass happy teams even ones with backups at the helm. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 3rd and long garner 20+ yds under Gus including last season that saw this defense allow some epic comebacks. Oh by the way we also had the talented Gilmore and Rogers at corner so it is what it is. You can love / cheer for this team but also be able to recognize its shortcomings. Go Colts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I have no idea how Russell Wilson went from scoring all those points his last years in Seattle to just being trash his whole time in Denver.

Denver's O line is trash, and I don't know what happened tonight,  but the defense just fell apart.  It looked like Surtain II was getting picked on, which I didn't think was possible.  The defense reminded me of our defense last game against the Bengals.   They just had s bad game. I live near Denver and the rest of my family are Broncos fans,  so I watch a lot of the games. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Really? That bad prevent defense was TORCHED just last week by a competent offense with skill players across the board. That same Cincy team barely beat the Vikings today in OT. Let's just take the win and enjoy because in ALL actuality the Steelers are a bad offense that FIRED their oc a few weeks ago! Mitch T is now their qb and the Steelers were coming off consecutive losses against a pair of TWO win teams. I EXPECTED the defense to hold against the suspect Steelers but I also knew they could lay an egg too.

I understood the point @Solid84 was making but EVERYTIME you feel there's some underline dig at Ballard or Gus you pounce. This defense is serviceable with a couple of upper tier type players but make no mistake about it that very soft zone will get picked apart by most pass happy teams even ones with backups at the helm. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 3rd and long garner 20+ yds under Gus including last season that saw this defense allow some epic comebacks. Oh by the way we also had the talented Gilmore and Rogers at corner so it is what it is. You can love / cheer for this team but also be able to recognize its shortcomings. Go Colts!

Huh?   

I was specifically talking about today, and today only.   And your response immediately talks about what the defense did last week.   Are you even slightly aware of what you’re writing? 

All I’m saying is that it’s OK to point out when Bradley’s defense does good.  They did mostly good today.  They mostly sucked last week.   I defended the first half last week, but not the second.   

If Bradley is fired after this season, I won’t be crying for him.   I’d like a more aggressive defense.   I just try to be more nuanced than just good and bad.   Things are a bit more complex than that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think it’s hard to turn this around.   You’re so afraid to say the words Gus Bradley’s defense did a good job that you have to turn it into the Pittsburgh offense was inept. 

This is not a you problem.   Nit singling you out.  This has been an issue for this community since its beginning.  Once this community has decided a player, or coach or executive isn’t good then that becomes a very popular viewpoint.   The person gets reduced to a cartoon character.   Everything they do is bad, and if they do something good few want to publicly give credit.  

When I arrived in 2012,  it was Castanzo sucks.  And he’d only played one year.  And it took a few years before that went away.   Now it’s Bradley sucks and it goes with Frank sucks.   It was that way when Grigson fell out of favor in 15/16, and really got ugly when Pagano became unpopular in 2017.  

It’s disappointing to me, but it is what it is. 

I think I said they had some clutch turnovers? They did a good job today, but probably looked better than they are because of the Steelers offense. 

The prevent defense is terrible though. I really can’t see how that can be disputed at this point. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Denver's O line is trash, and I don't know what happened tonight,  but the defense just fell apart.  It looked like Surtain II was getting picked on, which I didn't think was possible.  The defense reminded me of our defense last game against the Bengals.   They just had s bad game. I live near Denver and the rest of my family are Broncos fans,  so I watch a lot of the games. 

Did you see Payton's outburst on the sideline? I did not, but there was an article about it this morning. It seems that Payton was upset about the offsides call but he was yelling at the QB, not the refs. I saw that series and wondered why Payton had not thrown the challenge flag when a play appeared to have been a TD, but was called short. Then Denver kicked the FG instead of going for it on 4th down. I then turned the TV off and did not see Payton's outburst.

Payton should have been upset with himself for not challenging a call and then taking the FG, which still left the Broncos down three scores.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I vent a lot, but the team in general isn't as exciting without Richardson for just being fun and developing a QB. I never stopped posting though or just showed up for wins or losses specifically to praise or bash the team. I was here for the highs and lows. I'm the furthest thing from a bandwagon or fairweather fan. I'm just not a buttkisser fan that's always positive like he prefers. I call it how it is based on how the team is doing.

You must be watching different games than the rest of us then

7 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

When is the last time Colts had 2 players with double digit sacks ?  Think very real chance with Ebukum sitting at 9.5 now followed by Dayo at 8 and Paye with 7.5 it happens this season.

To answer that, Two guys no one probably has ever heard of.. Freeney and Mathis…

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have exercised a lot of demons this year. We have beat the Pats and Steelers in the same season. We swept Tennessee, and won at Baltimore. We have beat a lot of past rivals. This has been a satisfying season so far. I think just making the playoffs would cap it off. Maybe we can have a run like 1995, who knows?

My only issue is this year is like 2020 in the way that we'll probably have Minshew as the starter for one year, and Richardson will take over again next year. Obviously, this is a good thing in a vacuum, but it's just the fact that we used a QB that only has one realistic year with us again before trying to use a young QB next year and starting over with a new QB. Except this time, it's real, and this time, we already drafted him. 

Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, and I should have more fun with the team, but I need to at least make the playoffs minimum to be happy with the year. It can't be another playoff collapse like it was with Wentz. The injuries have really worn on me. It hasn't even been a particularly high number of injuries; it's just been the specific players that have gotten injured. 

To Ballard's credit, the depth has held up, and the pass rush has been much better. This is the best team he's ever had. Which makes it all the more frustrating Richardson is hurt and Minshew is the starter. That's after all the unluckiness with big picks being injury busts. 

It is fun beating the Pats and Steelers in the same season, but the Pats have 3 wins, and the Steelers have Trubisky as QB. I realize we have Minshew at QB, but it's like picking on your bully after he's in a wheelchair later in life or something and bragging about it that you got your revenge.

I'll probably change my mind if we get into the playoffs, but we need to get there first. I'm not going to lower my standards to be satisfied until we do. Happy so far yes, satisfied no. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My only issue is this year is like 2020 in the way that we'll probably have Minshew as the starter for one year, and Richardson will take over again next year. Obviously, this is a good thing in a vacuum, but it's just the fact that we used a QB that only has one realistic year with us again before trying to use a young QB next year and starting over with a new QB. Except this time, it's real, and this time, we already drafted him. 

Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, and I should have more fun with the team, but I need to at least make the playoffs minimum to be happy with the year. It can't be another playoff collapse like it was with Wentz. The injuries have really worn on me. It hasn't even been a particularly high number of injuries; it's just been the specific players that have gotten injured. 

To Ballard's credit, the depth has held up, and the pass rush has been much better. This is the best team he's ever had. Which makes it all the more frustrating Richardson is hurt and Minshew is the starter. That's after all the unluckiness with big picks being injury busts. 

It is fun beating the Pats and Steelers in the same season, but the Pats have 3 wins, and the Steelers have Trubisky as QB. I realize we have Minshew at QB, but it's like picking on your bully after he's in a wheelchair later in life or something and bragging about it that you got your revenge.

I'll probably change my mind if we get into the playoffs, but we need to get there first. I'm not going to lower my standards to be satisfied until we do. Happy so far yes, satisfied no. 

Not making the playoffs at this point would be disappointing, I agree. Also it really hasn't been a lost year for AR either. He played in 5 games and learned a lot from playing and looked good at times + he is learning a lot now by watching. He should be ready to come in next season to be a good QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not making the playoffs at this point would be disappointing, I agree. Also it really hasn't been a lost year for AR either. He played in 5 games and learned a lot from playing and looked good times + he is learning a lot now by watching. He should be ready to come in next season to be a good QB.

Yeah, he looked solid. He was far from struggling in his first year. I think he can take over from where he left off this year next year and we can focus on building around him in the draft.

We have had to overcome so much this year it's unbelievable. From injuries to bad calls that cost us games to drama from the owner. Been a tough year and this team is still 8-6. 1/2 a game in back of the Jags, and the Texans have Stroud hurt. Have to take advantage.

• Like 4