Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense Anyone?

ColtsUrUs

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Statements like this one, said as if you have information verifying it as the the truth, absolutely crack me up. The only way you know this is if you have access to the Colts draft board rankings? Just a hunch, but I am guessing you don't.

If you want to think my opinion is fact then be my guest. I guess? :dunno:

Shouldn't we look for shut down corners if we're running a aggressive defense. You can't run a 3-4 D unless you have man type CB or DT/DE to do that.

yes, and we have Andre Johnson and after this draft Justin Blackmon and Kendall Wright in our division, as well as guys like kenny britt

And btw, if you don't think teams play the dis-information game, you are kidding yourself.

Obviously they do but no team works a player out for the sake of riling up another team... the colts worked out mark Sanchez when he was coming out... that's cause they were interested in taking a QB and he was a guy they were interested in.

Obviously they do but no team works a player out for the sake of riling up another team... the colts worked out mark Sanchez when he was coming out... that's cause they were interested in taking a QB and he was a guy they were interested in.

Sanchez was picked 5th overall... You are proving the point that teams do work guys out they wont draft. No way they had any intentions of trading up that far to pick a backup qb

Attend that 1995 meeting with Ki-Jana and the Panthers, did ya? There's a forest through the trees thing going on... Pre-draft in my sentence was defining a time period, not defining actions or events engaged in by the player and team.

Ok... Brockers spent time with the Colts, the same as Jenkins. He's a member of the Rams. That's the point.

Colts worked out mark Sanchez but he's with the jets... point is the colt work out players they are interested in... no team spends its time WORKING OUT a player for nothing.

I would be happy with Devon Still DT, Penn State @ 34, I thought he would go in the first. But no matter who we get it will be a good football player. We need help everywhere !!

I wish he was bigger (weight), but I have not read one bad evaluation of the guy, other than his ability to rush the passer, which, frankly, I don't care if the Colts NT does exceptionally well or not. That just isn't a priority to me. There have to be six or seven players I would love to see taken at 34.

I wish he was bigger (weight), but I have not read one bad evaluation of the guy, other than his ability to rush the passer, which, frankly, I don't care if the Colts NT does exceptionally well or not. That just isn't a priority to me. There have to be six or seven players I would love to see taken at 34.

and quite frankly, they are all worth the pick, none of them would be a reach at 34, it jut depends on who our staff likes, and yes even fleener belongs there around 34 too, hes not a reach, his talent warrents him being there, and i dont like ppl saying he doesnt just because its too high to take a TE, tight ends are not what they used to be

Sanchez was picked 5th overall... You are proving the point that teams do work guys out they wont draft. No way they had any intentions of trading up that far to pick a backup qb

No one thought Sanchez was worth that... Sanchez was a one year wonder.... just like sorgi was a one year starter... during that time period the colts were looking at qbs just like last year the colts were interested in drafting Andy Dalton.... colts didn't see Sanchez as a fifth overall and I'm sure many other teams felt the same way.... just like some of the QBs taken in the first round yesterday did not deserve a first round pick... its all about what that team thinks of you and if they think you'll last past the second round to them.

No one thought Sanchez was worth that... Sanchez was a one year wonder.... just like sorgi was a one year starter... during that time period the colts were looking at qbs just like last year the colts were interested in drafting Andy Dalton.... colts didn't see Sanchez as a fifth overall and I'm sure many other teams felt the same way.... just like some of the QBs taken in the first round yesterday did not deserve a first round pick... its all about what that team thinks of you and if they think you'll last past the second round.

We have Wayne, Collie and Donnie Avery at WR. We signed 3 OL in FA to add with the OL we already have and I wouldn't want to waste a high pick on a TE.

Just my opinion, but I'm assuming Satele will be a sure-fire starter, and McGlynn and Justice are more ideally just rotational guys. I'm comfortable with Castanzo, and am really hoping Ijalana nails down the RT spot, with Justice subbing in periodically. But that leaves us Reitz, Linkenbach, McGlynn, Murphy and Olsen to battle it out for the guard positions... Do any of those names inspire you to feel the team is in even passable shape at guard?

Colts worked out mark Sanchez but he's with the jets... point is the colt work out players they are interested in... no team spends its time WORKING OUT a player for nothing.

Give it up man! Teams do and always have worked out players all the time for the simple fact of giving other teams the impression they ARE interested. It's a long standing ploy every team engages in.

BTW, the Colts picked 27th that yr. in the draft, even if Sanchez would have somehow lasted that long, there is no way the Colts would have used a 1st rder. to pick him. They worked him out to give teams the impression they may draft him there, thus luring a team into trading into that spot to grab him.

he can bulk up, but like I said we need help everywhere, and Yes there are 6,7 or more I would also be happy with, we will get a good player regardless of position !!

if were going Nose Tackle at 34 Ill take Ta'amu but I would rather get Hicks in the 5th

2nd. Jenkins (potential trade bait with the Eagles, they want a Corner bad and we can move down a couple spots and still have a shot at Fleener, now if we throw Freeny in that deal maybe we can pick up another 3rd as well and go wide receiver and maybe Ta'amu still

You do realize the colts brung him in for a workout right?

I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure that if you documented all the players brought in by teams, and compared them to who they drafted, the correlation wouldn't be very high. In fact, I think you'd find it is far more often used to throw other teams off the scent of who the real targets are.

I haven't done the research, but I'm pretty sure that if you documented all the players brought in by teams, and compared them to who they drafted, the correlation wouldn't be very high. In fact, I think you'd find it is far more often used to throw other teams off the scent of who the real targets are.

This seems to be a hard concept for Smitto to fully comprehend.

That never ever happens.. see posts above... lol

he can bulk up, but like I said we need help everywhere, and Yes there are 6,7 or more I would also be happy with, we will get a good player regardless of position !!

I agree - almost 6'6", at least 6'5", so you'd think his frame could sustain growth... or width... whatever...

The Colts know that someday Peyton Manning will not be their QB, and with that they are planning for the future, as they are going to hold a private workout with USC QB Mark Sanchez before his April 1st Pro Day. The thought of the Colts doing a private workout could indicate that they feel [...]

(That was on a website talking about the workout)

Teams do not WORKOUT players just to make other teams want to trade up to get them and if they do they would most likely jump ahead of the other team so what is the point?

Teams may hold meetings with players to throw ppl off but they NEVER work them out just to rile a team up, is is a coincidence the colts started looking for qbs then?

You basically have no proof that teams have workouts to actually raise the stock of that playertp the other team. We're just gonna have to see who the colts pick...

The Colts know that someday Peyton Manning will not be their QB, and with that they are planning for the future, as they are going to hold a private workout with USC QB Mark Sanchez before his April 1st Pro Day. The thought of the Colts doing a private workout could indicate that they feel [...]

Teams do not WORKOUT players just to make other teams want to trade up to get them and if they do they would most likely jump ahead of the other team so what is the point?

Teams may hold meetings with players to throw ppl off but they NEVER work them out just to rile a team up, is is a coincidence the colts started looking for qbs then?

You basically have no proof that teams have workouts to actually raise the stock of that playertp the other team. We're just gonna have to see who the colts pick...

Yes they do workout players for that reason.Draft =Pre-Draft liars, winners.They do want to draw attention away from or too certain individuals.It is a huge chess game .

I was pushing for defense before the draft here. Specifically DT like Brockers or Poe (if they fell). I would rather have Worthy then Still but either is ok. That said I think you can trade back and possibly still get one of those. Now that all these really solid OL guys are sitting here I am very happy to take Glenn or Adams or Martin or Konz (if we think he can play guard). Personally I trade back to get like a 4th rounder that can turn into a TE/WR or NT.

Yes they do workout players for that reason.Draft =Pre-Draft liars, winners.They do want to draw attention away from or too certain individuals.It is a huge chess game .

No team I've seen has ever done that, it all looks like they are working out needs on their team and that's what I've seen the colts do....

I was pushing for defense before the draft here. Specifically DT like Brockers or Poe (if they fell). I would rather have Worthy then Still but either is ok. That said I think you can trade back and possibly still get one of those. Now that all these really solid OL guys are sitting here I am very happy to take Glenn or Adams or Martin or Konz (if we think he can play guard). Personally I trade back to get like a 4th rounder that can turn into a TE/WR or NT.

Like the idea of trading back later in 2nd.Grab BPA and then use extra 4th for a WR.But would be really hard to pass Glenn,Upshaw,Worthy,or Hill IMO.

Post the link. Sounds suspiciously like your exact words. You have been told now by numerous people this happens all the time and yet, you just ignore it and act as if your words are fact and they are not. GM's talk about doing this all the time. It is such a common practice that its almost comical you say it don't happen.

Ok, here's a good liitle tidbit from Vic Ketchman who has covered the NFL for 40 years, most with the Packers and Jags.

"You say “the draft is license to lie,” and that certainly seems to be the case for the most part; however, it seems to me that Ron Wolf was as truthful as he could possibly be and Ted Thompson doesn't have to lie because he seldom says anything. They were/are pretty good drafters. Do you think maybe lying is overrated strategically?

Who said you have to speak to lie? When a team sends a scout to a personal workout for the sole purpose of leading teams to think the team is interested in that guy, aren’t they lying? When teams interview players at the Senior Bowl for everyone to see, for the sole purpose of trying to deceive others into believing the team has interest in those players, aren’t they lying? There are many ways to lie."

http://www.packers.c...0f-53bd2ff334aa

Here is another similar story from Cleveland after a GM presser in which he swears there is no way they trade up:

"We're not trading up, I guarantee that," Heckert said. "There's going to be five guys that we really like and we're going to get a really good player at number four. But we could still get a really good player at five, six, seven, eight too."

"When we bring all of those guys in, we might fall in love with one of them and say 'hey, we've got to have this guy.' If there's somebody that's head and shoulders [the best], we're going to stay there and take him no matter what. If there's not, there's really no reason not to [accept a trade]."

http://www.cleveland..._hecker_13.html

Cleveland moved up one spot to get Richardson, which was likely useless, as the Vikings took Kalil anyway, and have Peterson.

It makes no difference to me what you believe or not, but there are plenty of readily available stories about deception which include private workouts, bringing kids in. You keep asking what for... what about making a team in your division trade away picks? What about making a rival do the same? What about trying ot take players off the board, leaving your players avaivable later (the Colts this year are a perfect example of that)? If the Colts think a team loves Jenkins, the value of 34 increases. Perhaps dramatically (first rounder in 2013 plus picks this year?).

Lastly, the Colts may well pick Jenkins in a few minutes. But that won't prove teams only work players out who they want, are interested in, can and will draft. The opposite is far more common - Caliborne, the 6th pick - was never contacted by Dallas, had no idea he would be picked by them. Yet the Cowboys worked out Kirkpatrick. Why? Probably to see if he measured up to Claiborne, had the same ability, which would allow them to stay at 14. They may not have liked what they saw, and decided they had to go get Claiborne. Regardless of the reason, they didn't pick Kirkpatrick, they moved all the up to 6 to get Claiborne.

Guess I was wrong

Why? The Colts could well have liked him - in the 4th, 5th, etc. I am still of the opinion it was a sell-job on moving out of 34, but the Colts got that card to the podium before the Rams pick was done leaving Holt's lips, so it seems pretty clear to me the pick was always Fleener if he was there, and obviously he was. So we're back to your point, which is they had interest, just not at 34.