Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense Anyone?

ColtsUrUs

The colts are taking Jenkins or upshaw.... irsay wants a BALANCED team and right now they have a chance to get that with Jenkins or upshaw.... fleener is a good receiving TE but if it wasn't for luck he would be a THIRD rounder

Id be happy with Upshaw. Id be mad at Jenkins. Young team like this....no need for knuckleheads. If we didnt have so many glaring needs id be ok with the Colts taking a chance on him.

But I think it has to be offense with the way the 1st round shaped up. Fleener certainly needs to work on his blocking but he is by far the best TE in this class and would be a nice pick here IMO. He is faster than quite a few WRs in this class and was more productive.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize the colts brung him in for a workout right?

Teams bring in players all the time they have no intention of ever picking. It has been widely reported that many teams have taken Jenkins completely off their draft boards so it is entirely possible he slides into the later rds.. Maybe he don't and maybe he does, but IMO, if the Colts do have intentions to take him, it will be in the later rds. if he is still available.

No not really. There's no doubt he's got the talent andf if he slipped to the 4th rd. then by all means pick him up, but I just think judging from what Grigson said, that Jenkins is not even on the Colts radar with the 34th pick.

Nor should he be. There is a point at which reward outweighs potential risk. On a team as full of holes as the Colts have right now and will all the solid players available to them tonight, there is next to no chance they decide they are at that point and take him at 34. Later on - maybe. Round 2 - no freaking way.

The only way the colts don't take Jenkins is if the rams take him or the colts think upshaw is a better pick. The colts were gashed on defense last year, the person who had issues with character had been fired... there a better well rounded TEs in the draft than fleener he isn't even a good blocker which is what (if you forgot) the colts offense will be utilizing the most.

You are Ok that Jenkins can be mature on a very young team with new coaches...?

That's my concern.

I dont care about better rounded tight ends.

I want a home run threat for Andrew Luck

Teams bring in players all the time they have no intention of ever picking. It has been widely reported that many teams have taken Jenkins completely off their draft boards so it is entirely possible he slides into the later rds.. Maybe he don't and maybe he does, but IMO, if the Colts do have intentions to take him, it will be in the later rds. if he is still available.

What?:scratch:

History says teams that take a QB first overall draft more offense that same year than defense, and it tends to be earlier too. I have no idea what the Colts will do, but my guess is we'll see more O. My preference is more O earlier, D later. But it wouldn't shock me if the Colts went D. And I wouldn't blow up over it either. The Colts need help on both sides, so it's hard to argue against either.

History says teams that take a QB first overall draft more offense that same year than defense, and it tends to be earlier too. I have no idea what the Colts will do, but my guess is we'll see more O. My preference is more O earlier, D later. But it wouldn't shock me if the Colts went D. And I wouldn't blow up over it either. The Colts need help on both sides, so it's hard to argue against either.

If we drafted on a better D than O maybe we would have more SB wins.

I have never heard that in my life and that's not true either.... teams don't waste players time they aren't interested in.... right now Jenkins is the hottest player right now, teams are wanting to trade up for him... of the rams don't take him colts will.

I have never heard that in my life and that's not true either.... teams don't waste players time they aren't interested in.... right now Jenkins is the hottest player right now, teams are wanting to trade up for him... of the rams don't take him colts will.

How about this instead - teams bring in players to confirm up close and personal if a guy is as big a tool as he has been reported to be. Do you like that statement better?

And with Jenkins, they probably found out that his knuckleheadedness was off the charts.

You are Ok that Jenkins can be mature on a very young team with new coaches...?

That's my concern.

I dont care about better rounded tight ends.

I want a home run threat for Andrew Luck

And Avery isn't a home run threat? The colts will be a balanced offense.... arians may be the OC but he's not gonna be pass happy.

What? :scratch:

Polian on ESPN the other day retold the story of 1995 when the Panthers had the first pick (expansion team), and they brought Ki-Jana Carter in pre-draft, paraded him around, let the press take pictures.. and they had no intention of drafting him. It made the Bengals so nervous they did trade for the pick to get him, giving the Panthers Collins and additional picks. Cleveland may have been duped last night, moving up one spot, when it isn't clear Richardson was in jeopardy.

Jenkins visting the Colts could absolutely be hoping someone wants to move to 34 and take him. And it could mean the Colts want a shut down corner they think won't do the same things he did to get him kicked out of Florida.

How about this instead - teams bring in players to confirm up close and personal if a guy is as big a tool as he has been reported to be. Do you like that statement better?

And with Jenkins, they probably found out that his knuckleheadedness was off the charts.

Whatever you say hombre

And btw, if you don't think teams play the dis-information game, you are kidding yourself.

Well, I don't really care if you've heard of it or not. It happens every single yr.. Like I said, the Colts brought in a bunch of guys, that certainly don't mean they intend to draft them all. They bring in guys to get an idea if they want to spend a pick on them or not and to see if they like their charactor and attitude. Just because you get called for a job interview don't mean you automatically get the job.

Polian on ESPN the other day retold the story of 1995 when the Panthers had the first pick (expansion team), and they brought Ki-Jana Carter in pre-draft, paraded him around, let the press take pictures.. and they had no intention of drafting him. It made the Bengals so nervous they did trade for the pick to get him, giving the Panthers Collins and additional picks. Cleveland may have been duped last night, moving up one spot, when it isn't clear Richardson was in jeopardy.

Jenkins visting the Colts could absolutely be hoping someone wants to move to 34 and take him. And it could mean the Colts want a shut down corner they think won't do the same things he did to get him kicked out of Florida.

Yep, heard that story. GMs do this all the time.

It's called smokecreens. It happens every yr.. The Colts brought in a bunch of guys, that don't mean they intend on getting them all even if they had a chance. Not saying they won't pick him but it won't be with the 34th pick.

i smell a big "i told you so" coming.

And Avery isn't a home run threat? The colts will be a balanced offense.... arians may be the OC but he's not gonna be pass happy.

Nobody runs a balanced offense in the NFL...anymore

..all the good teams have far more passing yards than run yards....

..we may be more balanced than we were in the past.,..but we have to have weapons

We will have some 3-WR and TE sets....

..we need more play makers...

...do I have to remind anybody about ....15 points a game in 2012???

..when you need to average about 28 points a game

Pre draft and workouts are not the same thing lol

..we may be more balanced than we were in the past.,..but we have to have weapons

I meant 15 points a game in 2011

...You guys really dont want to see us run 2 of every 3 plays, do you??

If we drafted on a better D than O maybe we would have more SB wins.

Maybe. But maybe without all that O, the Colts don't win the AFC South all those years. That's the thing, that can't be proven one way or the other. The what-if game is tough, since you need to also factor in removing the offensive players picked who were part of the 12 win seasons too. What can be looked at is the statistical rankings of teams with "balance", teams who focus on D over O, and I'd suggest in the NFL today, I'd rather have a potent O than a potent D, and I'd rather an exceptionally good run or pass O than balance. It has been a long time since balance won a SB. And it's been a long time since the best D won a SB. It's a very different NFL.

49ers, giants, Houston....... pretty well balanced offenses I'd say...

The colts sucked last year because of their qb and oline play.. you should also remind everyone else that when Dan o came in the colts seemed much better... it wasn't because the colts finally found their deep threat.

Maybe. But maybe without all that O, the Colts don't win the AFC South all those years. That's the thing, that can't be proven one way or the other. The what-if game is tough, since you need to also factor in removing the offensive players picked who were part of the 12 win seasons too. What can be looked at is the statistical rankings of teams with "balance", teams who focus on D over O, and I'd suggest in the NFL today, I'd rather have a potent O than a potent D, and I'd rather an exceptionally good run or pass O than balance. It has been a long time since balance won a SB. And it's been a long time since the best D won a SB. It's a very different NFL.

Some seem to blame our playoff failures on our high number of passes...

I wonder why other teams fail to win more than one Super Bowl.

....Baltimore...NOLA....Phily

What's New England's probelm the last six years??

we play indoors....we play in warm weather locales.

Rules asy you can hard touch the QB and you cant abuse the recievers..

..and some want us to run more...?

....crazy talk...Luck will throw 30 times a game

We darn well better throw the ball because the folks we face will..

Pre draft and workouts are not the same thing lol

Attend that 1995 meeting with Ki-Jana and the Panthers, did ya? There's a forest through the trees thing going on... Pre-draft in my sentence was defining a time period, not defining actions or events engaged in by the player and team.

Ok... Brockers spent time with the Colts, the same as Jenkins. He's a member of the Rams. That's the point.

The colts sucked last year because of their qb and oline play.. you should also remind everyone else that when Dan o came in the colts seemed much better... it wasn't because the colts finally found their deep threat.

Not the NYGs......the Giants passed for far more yards than they ran

Eli threw for 300 in all the playoff games..

Look at the entire league..

It's a passing league........Balanced offense is yesterday's news

Go with the flow....a flow we started...

you need offense letting go clark means you must draft stanford te to complement luck.defense i dont know changing whole concept 4/3 3/4 .why repair something not broken.last year a mirage.can you name me two better des then feeney/mathis if you can put down your crack pipe and think again.colts last year drafted ots first two picks good covered.offense after today ok .now go defense who i don't know your the expert and have the background.i do know colts have potential to be good team.and seeing luck getting 24 mill for 4 years they should have the money since they paid peyton 26 mill last year for squat

you need offense letting go clark means you must draft stanford te to complement luck.defense i dont know changing whole concept 4/3 3/4 .why repair something not broken.last year a mirage.can you name me two better des then feeney/mathis if you can put down your crack pipe and think again.colts last year drafted ots first two picks good covered.offense after today ok .now go defense who i don't know your the expert and have the background.i do know colts have potential to be good team.and seeing luck getting 24 mill for 4 years they should have the money since they paid peyton 26 mill last year for squat

wow that was hard to read...

we seeemd better is a good way to phrase it..

We never had a good offense last year..

we were good defesnively in some games and we have improved...our personell already

But we scored 15 points a game and the defense scored some of those...

This is why I would LOVE Courtney Upshaw. Has experience in a 3-4 defense.

I love all the Alabama defenders. I am an O first person, but I agree, he and Chapman both would be ideal in my mind in this draft. Maybe I should start an Alabama chemistry post, since the Luck/Fleener thing seems to have worked so well.

I suppose I'm not surprised Hightower went before Upshaw, but Upshaw was, I think, much more dynamic. The 'tweener' and short arms thing must have really killed him. Although if he goes in the next couple picks tonight, it isn't a huge hit financially for him.

The Giants were last in rushing last year.. San Francisco was 29th in passing.. how is that a balanced offense?

I love all the Alabama defenders. I am an O first person, but I agree, he and Chapman both would be ideal in my mind in this draft. Maybe I should start an Alabama chemistry post, since the Luck/Fleener thing seems to have worked so well.

I suppose I'm not surprised Hightower went before Upshaw, but Upshaw was, I think, much more dynamic. The 'tweener' and short arms thing must have really killed him. Although if he goes in the next couple picks tonight, it isn't a huge hit financially for him.

It may be better if he can prove himself and get out from under a rookie contract earlier.

Really??? Thats the only way they don't take Jenkins? There is no way they take Jenkins at 34. All you have to do is listen to what Grigson said, they don't want players that they can't trust when their not looking. Thats what he said in essence.

I have to agree, that's never been the Colts culture. I know they are trying to be more aggressive but there's no say they take a risk on the dude in the second. Guys been arrested three times, has mutiple kids with mutiple women and has MAJOR character issues. Let alone with guys like Fleener, Upshaw, Glenn, Hill, Alshon and many others still out there.