Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Browns post game reactions

GoColts8818

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Steichen lost the game not the refs. His poor decisions lead to 10 points before the half. Blame the refs if u want but it's on the coach and he owned it.

The last 2 minutes of the half were a complete debacle!

With the lead, things having gone surprisingly well for the team, what I said in that moment, is spread things out on first down and run JT (not Moss, because JT is the guy more likely to bust out with a big play) on first and second down to see if he can gain any substantive yards with a first down or two.  If the chains get moved, then you can go in more aggressive play action passing mode to go for FG position or better.  The key, though, given the momentum and first half result achieved up to that point, you don’t do anything that can result in disaster, reversing momentum of who’s leading, at the end of the half.

To my utter dismay, the complete mishandling of the situation, showing REALLY poor situational awareness, resulting in the very disaster that needed not to be facilitated.  I was thoroughly disgusted, as I complained that the Colts are trying to lose the game.  Team reinstalled my faith, but the refs at the end aside, it was the poor decision making at the end of the half that ultimately doomed the Colts in that game. Steichen himself said, the team can’t put itself in position where a couple of ref bad calls at the end can make a difference.  It was the end of first half coaching / QB decisions that buggered the team. Steichen needs to learn from these coaching mistakes (unlike Reich during his tenure), for coaching game management decisions should NEVER be why your team loses.  Coaching decisions need to be perfect. If a loss happens, it needs to be due to lack of player execution, not due to poor coaching game management decisions.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Correct.  If Shane calls the game like I mentioned above, then it's 38-23 with 5 minutes left and the refs calls don't matter anyway.  Give Cleveland the garbage TD to make it 38-30 and let them try an onsides kick with 15 seconds left.  There's a fine line between 5-2 and 3-4.  If Shane tweaks a couple decisions (takes FG vs Rams on 4th & 7 and runs the ball vs the Browns), then we're looking at 5-2.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing it safe when the situation calls for it - that's simply smart coaching in my book.  You need to consider who you have as your personnel on the field.

I do find it funny how Reich was called the worst coach but everything Steichen does is magic. Going for the field goal was silly. You take the points in a game where you are playing the number 1 defense with a back up qb. People blame Freeland and the tight end for whiffing on Garrett. You don't put your players in a tough situation against an all world player deep in your territory.  Its not rocket science. He didn't put his team in a good situation. You play call to protect your team and Shane didn't. I bet he would take the 2nd quarter back if he could. He's a rookie coach and he will learn so its no biggie.

It was an incredibly exciting game, filled with lots of mistakes by both teams. Ultimately, both teams were in a position with under a minute to go, to make a big play and win the game. The Colts made that play, and it was taken away from them by the refs, not the Browns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the point, we overcame what Shane did early in the game enough to win but then we got cheated. I am not going to debate you either because I can already tell it will be like talking to a brick wall.

So you don't blame Shane for the loss but then admit the team overcame what Shane did early on. You are basically admitting I am right. The bad refffing cost the Colts 3 points. His coaching cost them 10 points. Its really not hard and so he messed up. Big deal and will most likely learn from it. If he doesn't, then we have a problem. Shane has shown early on that he is a tad aggressive and doesn't want to take the points. This isn't the first time he has done this and I hope he learns.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do find it funny how Reich was called the worst coach but everything Steichen does is magic. Going for the field goal was silly. You take the points in a game where you are playing the number 1 defense with a back up qb. People blame Freeland and the tight end for whiffing on Garrett. You don't put your players in a tough situation against an all world player deep in your territory.  Its not rocket science. He didn't put his team in a good situation. You play call to protect your team and Shane didn't. I bet he would take the 2nd quarter back if he could. He's a rookie coach and he will learn so its no biggie.

Agree totally. You can't have the ball with under 2 minutes remaining in the half and be outscored 10-0. I typically hate the conservative run, run, pass, but in this instance, I thought it was a no brainer. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So you don't blame Shane for the loss but then admit the team overcame what Shane did early on. You are basically admitting I am right. The bad refffing cost the Colts 3 points. His coaching cost them 10 points. Its really not hard and so he messed up. Big deal and will most likely learn from it. If he doesn't, then we have a problem. Shane has shown early on that he is a tad aggressive and doesn't want to take the points. This isn't the first time he has done this and I hope he learns.

I am not admitting you are right at all. Shane had a few calls that were head scratching but that is not why we lost to word it better.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the point, we overcame what Shane did early in the game enough to win but then we got cheated. I am not going to debate you either because I can already tell it will be like talking to a brick wall.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-gm-shuffle-with-michael-lombardi-and-femi-abebefe/id1458884463

I do like Lombardi and  i was saying this as soon as he lost. If you are interested go to 13:50 and you can listen to Lombardi break down the lost. I am not parroting what he says as I said it right after the game

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Agree totally. You can't have the ball with under 2 minutes remaining in the half and be outscored 10-0. I typically hate the conservative run, run, pass, but in this instance, I thought it was a no brainer. 

The key to run run, don’t telegraph it.  Spread things out to give the appearance that you may indeed be going to the pass.  The big problem of the Reich era, when running they were almost always in a telegraphed power run formation, which almost ALWAYS failed  That crap was too bloody predictable.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The key to run run, don’t telegraph it.  Spread things out to give the appearance tha you may indeed be going to the pass.  The big problem of the Reich era, when running they were in a telegraphed power run formation.  That crap was too bloody predictable.  

The issue is JT is an I formation back, its how he wants to play.   Frank liked shotgun for passes

We still have a similar issue now, Minshew and AR are very much shotgun qbs

JT reminds a bit of Adrian Peterson.  Great players that can win you the game but they make you predictable with formations 

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

The issue is JT is an I formation back, its how he wants to play.   Frank liked shotgun for passes

We still have a similar issue now, Minshew and AR are very much shotgun qbs

The Pistol can incorporate that downhill running game.  Are there any teams running I sets with a FB right now?  

I think you could hurt people with it as long as the FB has the talent catch a few passes out of the backfield and take 4-5 carries a game to keep the LBs honest. 

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

JT reminds a bit of Adrian Peterson.  Great players that can win you the game but they make you predictable with formations 

That's always been my issue with the draft pick, the money, etc.  I'm not sure how valuable JT actually is to the team.   He played well Sunday, but he has been unnecessary offensively up until this point. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The last 2 minutes of the half were a complete debacle!

With the lead, things having gone surprisingly well for the team, what I said in that moment, is spread things out on first down and run JT (not Moss, because JT is the guy more likely to bust out with a big play) on first and second down to see if he can gain any substantive yards with a first down or two.  If the chains get moved, then you can go in more aggressive play action passing mode to go for FG position or better.  The key, though, given the momentum and first half result achieved up to that point, you don’t do anything that can result in disaster, reversing momentum of who’s leading, at the end of the half.

To my utter dismay, the complete mishandling of the situation, showing REALLY poor situational awareness, resulting in the very disaster that needed not to be facilitated.  I was thoroughly disgusted, as I complained that the Colts are trying to lose the game.  Team reinstalled my faith, but the refs at the end aside, it was the poor decision making at the end of the half that ultimately doomed the Colts in that game. Steichen himself said, the team can’t put itself in position where a couple of ref bad calls at the end can make a difference.  It was the end of first half coaching / QB decisions that buggered the team. Steichen needs to learn from these coaching mistakes (unlike Reich during his tenure), for coaching game management decisions should NEVER be why your team loses.  Coaching decisions need to be perfect. If a loss happens, it needs to be due to lack of player execution, not due to poor coaching game management decisions.

The bolded phrase is the difference of being 3-4 instead of 5-2 as it applied to the Rams game as well.

23 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The key to run run, don’t telegraph it.  Spread things out to give the appearance that you may indeed be going to the pass.  The big problem of the Reich era, when running they were almost always in a telegraphed power run formation, which almost ALWAYS failed  That crap was too bloody predictable.  

Reich:  "I don't care what happened the last dozen times we ran this play, I want Nyheim Hines up the middle on 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line.  It'll work this time."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Shane can figure it out all he wants but it will do no good if he has the game stolen from him.

He could have punted rather than trying a 60 yard fg.  He could have ran the ball and not had a long developing pass play from the end zone with a rookie guarding Miles Garrett .   The refs didn't help,  but he could have been better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yet you think he will get Ballard fired and choose his own gm.  :lol:

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can call me out on it all you want. I will do the same to you and others that don't think we got screwed Sunday. By the way almost everyone in the media on ESPN, sports talk shows, radio sports hosts, say we got screwed. Funny how they think we got screwed and you don't? I would give anything to see us get a bogus call down by the goaline that cost the other the team a game, if we do I don't want you blaming the REFS to why we won. I am not going back and forth with you today so I am done here, I am tired of debating with you because we rarely agree on anything anyway, so it is a waste of my time. Have a great day.

:facepalm:

I said the refs had a couple of bad calls? That screwed us, but unlike you I'm not saying that's the sole reason we lost...

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's a rookie. The offence looks dynamic with no real playmakers. He will get better as the season goes on. Ballard is a seasoned GM and he has shown little in terms of value.

Looks like there are plenty of playmaker.  Did you watch the game ?

From reading these posts, I don’t think some people realize how well our offense is playing and expect perfect playcalling. The FG was the right call, and was what many say every week when we go for it on 4th down “taking the points”. Their best player just made a play that less than 1% of the nfl can do. It just seems there are some who will never be satisfied. 

25 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

From reading these posts, I don’t think some people realize how well our offense is playing and expect perfect playcalling. The FG was the right call, and was what many say every week when we go for it on 4th down “taking the points”. Their best player just made a play that less than 1% of the nfl can do. It just seems there are some who will never be satisfied. 

I don’t think the field goal was right call at that time. You have so many things thst go into whether it was right at that moment. Offense is fine. Steichen just needs to clear up some game management issues.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

A 60 yard field goal was not the right call when the alternative was to pin them back with a punt putting them inside the 20.  Our punter already was successful in doing just that earlier in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JediXMan said:

To counter yes if these players were healthy but they lost one rookie already and we’re going to probably lose another one for a while. At some point we need to fill these holes with a vets. It seems like you always have a rebuttal at any Ballard criticism here lol.

since when is any season about playing kids? all teams try to win their division every year and did the front office say this season was about playing the kids? some one made that up in their own mind.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think the field goal was right call at that time. You have so many things thst go into whether it was right at that moment. Offense is fine. Steichen just needs to clear up some game management issues.

why?

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A 60 yard field goal was not the right call when the alternative was to pin them back with a punt putting them inside the 20.  Our punter already was successful in doing just that earlier in the game.

So as a coach when you believe you are in range for your kicker you would rather punt the ball instead of getting 3 points?

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

why?

So as a coach when you believe you are in range for your kicker you would rather punt the ball instead of getting 3 points?

You have the lead and ball back at halftime. Browns offense can’t move the ball. Punt them deep. That long of a field goal always has a higher chance to be blocked. The FG was not needed at that time. Kicking that and trying to throw out of the end zone cost them the game.  Refs never would of had a chance to screw it up if the end of the first half game management wasn’t screwed up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

why?

KNow your opponent. They weren’t playing the chiefs or some high flying offense. Game management is timing. Doing the right things at the right time. Just like colts last offensive drive he got to conservative and was ok punting. There is a time for everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

why?

Though there’s the possibility of the kicker having the range to make a 60 yard FG, actually making it is very remote.  It was not a point in the game where 3 points were such a huge need that you risk the bad outcomes.  I agree with the mantra of punting / playing the field position game at that point.  17 points off turnovers plus what they were handed on the failed 60 yard FG.  Can’t be handing opponents such gifts.  Just can’t.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You have the lead and ball back at halftime. Browns offense can’t move the ball. Punt them deep. That long of a field goal always has a higher chance to be blocked. The FG was not needed at that time. Kicking that and trying to throw out of the end zone cost them the game.  Refs never would have had a chance to screw it up if the end of the first half game management wasn’t screwed up. 

Couldn’t have said it better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Though there’s the possibility of the kicker having the range to make a 60 yard FG, actually making it is very remote.  It was not a point in the game where 3 points were such a huge need that you risk the bad outcomes.  I agree with the mantra of punting / playing the field position game at that point.  17 points off turnovers plus what they were handed on the failed 60 yard FG.  Can’t be handing opponents such gifts.  Just can’t.

Even if it hadn’t been blocked but just missed your giving browns really good field position.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You have the lead and ball back at halftime. Browns offense can’t move the ball. Punt them deep. That long of a field goal always has a higher chance to be blocked. The FG was not needed at that time. Kicking that and trying to throw out of the end zone cost them the game.  Refs never would of had a chance to screw it up if the end of the first half game management wasn’t screwed up. 

That just seems ridiculous to me, the take of "We have enough points." especially with how big of the group on this site that say "Take the points when you can." You trust your team Matt Gay has been great this year at long FGs, and we have a great OL. You take that chance.

Exciting game!!

Colts were competitive against the leagues #1 defense!!

I can handle a loss - as long as they are competitive.

That said - I look forward to the day that the NFL fields FULL TIME referees - and - holds them accountable the way they hold coaches and players accountable.

Can I get an Amen?

42 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That just seems ridiculous to me, the take of "We have enough points." especially with how big of the group on this site that say "Take the points when you can." You trust your team Matt Gay has been great this year at long FGs, and we have a great OL. You take that chance.

Were we playing KC or dolphins? This is my point. Browns couldn’t score. Both QB looked really bad.